Blah_Blee
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• When designing a large map, how do you start? Where do you begin? I'm a bit stumped in regards to what I should do.
    bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Pick one corner and draw it. Expand from there.
    mlogan
    mlogan
    Also, you need to think about what you really need in that map that is essential to the game/story line. I start with the essentials and then expand to more fun/explorative type stuff.
    bgillisp
    bgillisp
    To add on to my post (and what mlogan said), consider drawing out on scratch paper what the map needs for its place in the story. This way you can get a good idea of where in your large map everything ends up.
    Started to map my next project 'It Pours', an action-rpg inspired by dark souls, but hopefully with a less obscure story..
    Don't you wish you had a mentor/teacher for RPG Maker? One who can lecture you when you're too lazy to work, and sets deadlines for you?
    Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Not at all. Most times game-making is fun enough to keep me going. And when not, I have a friend or two that are good at encouraging me. :)
    Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    One of the biggest difficulties with working on your own schedule is always being self-motivated. Its a skill, and definitely not an easy one to master.

You would think after doing tons of online classes (I went to an actual school with an actual campus nearby, but I took as many classes online as I could), and the years I've worked with Degica with mostly setting my own schedule, I'd be perfect at it now... but nope, still trying to perfect it.
    Galenmereth
    Galenmereth
    Actually no. Working for myself as my own boss is the single most important thing in my life determining my overall happiness. It's not that I can't work with others, but I can't work under others directly, it just doesn't work. I need to be able to do things my way. When I set up my own company and started doing this, my productivity skyrocketed, as did my personal gratification from my work.
    I must admit, the action battle system is pretty fun to work with if you're trying to make a dark souls-styled game.
    As much as I'd want to improve my mapping ability. I'm not quite sure where to begin. I've heard all sorts of terms such as 'Parallax Mapping' yet I have no clue what they mean. It feels as though the more I learn the system, the more I realize how overwhelming it can be.
    Julien Brightside
    Julien Brightside
    From what I understand, Parallax mapping is having a picture overlaying the map so you get a nicer map.
    bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Make a map, post it in the game and map screenshots thread, read feedback, fix it, repeat
    literarygoth
    literarygoth
    Parallax mapping is an underlay image. You create a map in an image editing software like paint.net or photoshop or GIMP, just like you would in the tile editor, but there you have the freedom to put the tiles wherever you want - which is how you see clumps of grass together in some maps. However, this is certainly something for more advanced mappers. Certainly try shift-click mapping and playing around with the tiles and tilesets first. Try editing the tiles in paint or something like moving...
    Question: Would you like to see a game where everyone is a villain in some way, with their own backstory and motives to committing evil? Not anti-heroes, but sympathetic/tragic villains instead of those who simply commit evil for the lulz.
    mlogan
    mlogan
    Also, I find it especially interesting when the villain shows even the slightest redemptive quality - maybe not to the extent of them turning good, but to see the struggle with the person they once were resurfacing and coming at odds with who they are now.
    Warpmind
    Warpmind
    It's an interesting concept... but it will be astoundingly difficult to write, to ensure consistency and there actually being any NPCs left who haven't been backstabbed by their neighbors yet...

Everyone having something regrettable in their past, yes, certainly, but everyone - *everyone* - having committed a knowingly evil act despite themselves? That'll be an immensely screwed-up world...
    Blah_Blee
    Blah_Blee
    What I meant is that the major characters will be villains in some fashion. NPCs such as citizens will probably be exempt from this.
    That feeling when you've had an energy drink at 2:00 AM, and you can't sleep. Waiting for the caffeine crash to finally kick in. :(
    Marsigne
    Marsigne
    That feeling that you have to be awake without any energy drink LOL
    You know. I would call myself a writer, but I'm far too lazy/unmotivated to actually write, nor would I bother to read for inspiration. What does that make me?
    Blah_Blee
    Blah_Blee
    Perhaps, I just rely too much on random strokes of genius (and energy drinks) to write content.
    Avery
    Avery
    Well, you are no artist when you just think about pretty images, so why should you be a writer?
    Blah_Blee
    Blah_Blee
    It's something I'd like to pursue, but I seem to concentrate on words instead of implementing them in text. You are making sense, though.
    Finishing up all the recipes for Project Diner. If you ask me, 'Greenburger' and 'Double Ketchupburger' aren't too clever names. But they will do for now.
    With Empty 2, I always wanted to make a world where heroes didn't exist. The main protagonist presents himself as a cocky rear end in a top hat who, despite defeating a threat to the country, is not an anti-hero whatsoever. This creates a situation where it's villain vs. villain as opposed to the clichéd hero defying the odds.
    I haven't worked on Empty 2 for a long while. The primary reason is because I have no motivation to really do so. The release of Empty 1 drew some testers who haven't played through the entire game yet (which kind of sucks because I put in a lot of work on the story, especially the ending). But not full reviews as of yet. I feel as though the minimal response to the first game means that there's really no point in working on the sequel. Sorry for the lack of positivity in this pos...
    Blah_Blee
    Blah_Blee
    Thanks for the input. I'll be sure to keep that in mind from now on :)
    bgillisp
    bgillisp
    If it makes you feel any better, it was 2 months before I got any substantial feedback on my first demo (not a complete game). Maybe start by downloading and reviewing other games and maybe they will return the favor with time?
    Blah_Blee
    Blah_Blee
    I'm not really that insightful when I'm reviewing games, but I'll try some out and see what I can do.
    Is anyone interested in a diner dash styled game. Because that's what my friends and I want to develop. :3
    Geoff Moore
    Geoff Moore
    I have no problem with the genre, apart from the overwhelming number of clones. If you make one, it would be cool to do something a bit different with it. Good luck!
    Sieginder Niederlage
    Sieginder Niederlage
    Ragna the Bloodedge: The man with the biggest bounty in the world for Dine and Dashing.
    Simple question: Is it a better idea to keep a completed game free and accept donations, or to go commerical?
    Matchitza
    Matchitza
    Accept donations and give em to charity xD, there are poor kids out there waiting for foods and drinks, or neither clothes for them to wear.. Just a suggestion, ok?
    Shaz
    Shaz
    Depends on the quality of the game, and whether you've got any content in there that would cause problems if you went commercial.

My thought is if you start out with the intention of it being free - especially if you actually release the completed game - don't turn around and say you're going to start charging for it. If you want to make it commercial, say so before it's released. Even if you're going to release it for free for the first few days/weeks and then start charging.
    Shaz
    Shaz
    Though once it's out there, for free, it's too easy for people to share if you later make it commercial and add DRM. The free version is already out there.
    During the brainstorming process of Empty 2, it just seems as if the sheer amount of content I could work with seems discouraging. To elaborate, I take a look at these other rpg maker titles and think 'man, I need to modify every single aspect of my game to stand out from the rest'. Since I have little to no artistic ability or scripting knowledge, simply finding content such as tilesets and custom music seems like a hassle. And the more I think of it, the more ambitious I find my gam...
    odinnightowl
    odinnightowl
    it honestly is not that hard to find tilesets and such for your game. Just first breathe then when you are nice and relaxed just browse the site. the best places to start would be the resource staff releases and grandma Debs topics. from there just down load anything that catches your eye.
    Shaz
    Shaz
    Take your time. Those games were not made in just a few days. They took months, sometimes years, with the developer working away on a little bit at a time. Sometimes teams. Break it up into manageable chunks, choose one to work on, ignore the rest.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

One feature that I'm missing is the ability to see Who is viewing a topic...

It was kinda nice to 'see' some faces, even if they don't say anything.
unnamed_image.jpg
SOMEONE'S SINGLE! HE DOES LIKE ALL GENDERS! SADLY, HE HAS NO NUMBER TO NOTE OF BECAUSE HE HAS NO USE FOR A PHONE, BECUASE SUMMONING WORKS MUCH BETTER AND DOES NOT COME WITH AN ITEMISED BILL.
I just found out that MZ regional price on Steam in my place is much cheaper than MV.
Our water started to work again, now i don't have to fill up our toilet with water again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lotus8901