cabfe
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Awarded medals About

• I have one free Steam key for Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack to give, if someone is interested.
    Marquise*
    Marquise*
    :3 Seems nice you already played this once?
    cabfe
    cabfe
    Not yet, but I already had a copy from another bundle. So I'm giving away my second key.
    Man, it's so hard to let go your baby. I should be fixing bugs only, not constantly improve and add new stuff...
    Marquise*
    Marquise*
    Phew! I started to read your sentence and was worried for your human and/or feline family at one point!
    cabfe
    cabfe
    Sorry for the scare, Marquise! No, they are all right ;)
    Marquise*
    Marquise*
    *purrs*
    An interesting set of analysis and advices for Choice&Consequence:

It's 2 years old, but still valid today.
    Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    That was very informative. I'm taking mental notes from that.

I always found it kind of weird how character loyalty in ME2 somehow made them less likely to die in the last mission. XD
    NPC
    NPC
    Awesome channel :o
    Marquise*
    Marquise*
    I have to REPOST this on Steam. Thank-you very much!
    English native speakers, you don't know your luck. When you're done with your game, you don't have to spend months translating afterwards, and then have it proofread/corrected...
    Marquise*
    Marquise*
    I'm French-Canadian too (Quebecer), and I can relate. It ain't just proofreading... For now my first test game is bilingual half-English interface and dialogues in French! :p

Just wondering if I just should do another game on the side with the English title and interface and dialogue... arrrgh!

Well if I do all in French all Spanish/Germans/Phillipine/Japanese/Italian/Etcetera peoples won't understand anything but English!
    cabfe
    cabfe
    I know of French developers who release their games in English only, because internationalization.

Mine is bilingual French/English, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of players worldwide chose English at game launch.

However, I think it's important to release your game in all possible languages you can translate into because, as a player, it's so much comfort to read in your language.
    Marquise*
    Marquise*
    I'm all with you on that one. Might even recruit translators ;)
    Guys, if you didn't already, consider data compression. I had my game go through a thorough resources compression diet (audio+pics), it got a 52% reduction in weight!
    I have something really important to say, but... NDA. Seems to be the most recurring word these days(^o^)!
    Scythuz
    Scythuz
    They're a pain but necessary. Remember though, if you think it's bad hearing the word, imagine how it is for the person who needs to stick to the agreement ;)
    optimum45
    optimum45
    I find these agreements to be an abomination. A way for business to literally screw with you and forbid you to talk about it.

Just remember that you can declare an NDA in abeyance if they do not meet their end, to the letter.
    Marquise*
    Marquise*
    I know I have a show my stuff ache now XD

NDA!
    Playtesting my game... I guess it's a good sign if I spend more time improving rather than fixing events. May it stay that way!
    I wrote the prototype for my trailer, played it in my head. It's over 4 mins... Gotta cut and cut again. Although I may keep it for an extended trailer afterwards.
    Seriel
    Seriel
    Any trailer more than 2 Minutes just bores me and I leave.

So yeah, 2 mins max.
    Marquise*
    Marquise*
    At least you didn't had the blank page syndrome. But true, sometimes cutting the fat is the longest hardest task!
    cabfe
    cabfe
    I'm not afraid of the blank page. On the contrary I tend to write too much T-T. I thought I had only told the essential of my story+description of the gameplay, but it's still too long. Gameplay is around 50s by itself, leaving a short amount of time for story.

I'll aim for 1'30-2'00 max then.
    How do you like Commentary modes? I'm writing mine, but I fear I might be too verbose.
    cabfe
    cabfe
    New scenes are scheduled, but I didn't think about skipping long previous ones. I'll see if I can add it. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Dalph
    Dalph
    That's actually a very good idea you had there cabfe, I would like to see it in your game. I personally would do it with voice though (would be more cool).
    Marquise*
    Marquise*
    It depends. I like it when replaying and hearing about techniques.
    My endings are done, now working on the credits. It feels like it's over but there are still work to be done in redoing old parts that look subpar quality-wise. And then playtest-translation-more playtest->release!
    Sometimes, you reinvent the wheel. I needed some special ground tiles so I made them for the 4 directions. Then thought it'd be nice to have curves. Before you say it, I drew all the positions instead of making an autotile... At least, it's easy to convert.
    Seriel
    Seriel
    I don't make tiles, but when mapping, I like it better if they're in pieces, sure, it requires more work, but it's also flexible to make what you want with, instead of messing about with Shift Mapping and other annoying things.
    cabfe
    cabfe
    I already did an autotile before and it took a long time. That's why I only wanted to create small parts. I just got carried too much in the process ^^
    Marquise*
    Marquise*
    One day...just one day... I really want to learn how to do these things so I don<t feel the most stupid of the tread. ^^
    Cool, Indiegala's bundle today has The book of Legends and 3 Stars of Destiny, along with some other RM games. *Picks up credit card*.
    I think I've just drawn the last bust of my game. There's still a few non-interactive NPC sprites to do, but I'm starting to see the light!
    Kyuukon
    Kyuukon
    Can't wait to see the result. Hard works pays off! I'm kinda jelly xD!
    Marquise*
    Marquise*
    Try not to burn your punch very hard by showing them everywhere! ;) But I want to see your game soon. :D Seems worth it just because of the busts.
    Darn flies. I can't open a window without having flies circling around the chandelier. At least that makes living toys for the cats.
    cabfe
    cabfe
    Carnivorous plants would suit you though, Dalph ;)
    Sharm
    Sharm
    Around here it's standard to have screens on all the windows to keep the bugs out. I didn't know it wasn't common everywhere.
    Marquise*
    Marquise*
    I should get those magnetic closeable net doors. Since I have cats and plants on the balcony... Well I would be cruel to not let the flies in :p Note that mother cat is really happr to sho that to a human relative century old lady she's still able to run, jump and catch those buggers! GO MOMMY CAT GO!
    While implementing my choices, I realized that there could be a unique combination leading to an alternate path for the player that I didn't think about. Now to write more dialogues branches and a new ending... that many players won't ever know about.
    Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    That's what happens when we make our games so non-linear. An exponential increase in work.
    cabfe
    cabfe
    I understand that players like to have lots of choices, with consequences and so on. But they don't realize how much work this is... Unless you're a team (or a game making machine like a well-known someone here), I don't recommend starting with this kind of project if you can't dedicate an awful lot of time to your game. Very rewarding in the end, but so much work before that.
    Found (and fixed) a bug in my language patcher that prevented saving the game. Sometimes, you find side effects where you expect them the least.
    Marquise*
    Marquise*
    Ouf! Something that might affects the moods of players if they really started to enjoy your game. I'm happy you found it!
    Gui
    Gui
    This one in particular would have been a serious issue: glad for you, man!
    cabfe
    cabfe
    Thanks. And now I've fixed another one in my autosave system. Reloading disabled the mouse as a side effect of something else. I'm not sure what that was, but I've found a workaround anyway. I don't know why it did this, it was just a script call to load a specific savegame. Bah, whatever, it's fixed.
    Another minigame done! You have to get an exact amount of liquid. Quite simple this time too. I don't want the player to be stuck with a minigame (d'you hear that, Still life's cookies puzzle?!). I took a screenshot (still in French): http://i.imgur.com/AKXRHiL.png
    cabfe
    cabfe
    @Jackus: It's simply Fill the bottle, Empty it, Pour into the other and Put down. The game will be translated before release anyway.
    Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    @ Ronchild: I actually really hated that card mini-game, and I wish that part wasn't compulsory. If mini-games are made compulsory to progress the main plot, then they should be fairly easy. Save the harder stuff for optional content (or a higher difficulty level).
    Kes
    Kes
    @Ronchild: I'm with matseb on this. I loathe being forced to do stupid things like that, and will likely walk away from the game. If it's optional then I'm prepared to put a lot of time into it if it's interesting, but unless it is specifically a puzzle game, and I have chosen to play it, then imo puzzles and mini-games should not be game blockers.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

reading what makes plugins tick, so you can use other plugins to trigger said plugin... setup up Luna MV to have my own custom ATB Gauges from Yanfly's ATB. cool
It's Easter on Monday. Anybody got any Easter quarantine eggs? It'll also be my birthday, I'll be 31.
Sometimes I feel like I'm using plugins feature the wrong way. But as long as it works tho.
Dusting off RPG Maker MV and seriously working with it since COVID-19 has me with a lot of free time. Have a game project that is coming along steadily and I hope it proceeds past the alpha stage into something good now that I figured MV out.
I've had an account here for four years, but only started posting and working in 2018. I guess I always had the want. Crazy. Guess I'll be seein' y'all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RPGMAKERINITFAM