Last Activity:
Jul 25, 2015
Birthday:
Oct 8, 1975 (Age: 43)

Share This Page

Conect11

We have titles? Err, um, "Mr." I guess..., Male, 43, from Cleveland, Ohio

Veteran

Thought I'd pop back in with a little bit of encouragement for all the young devs just starting out: about a year and a half ago I started learning RPG Maker, my first coding experience in almost 25 years. After that I moved on to another platform, but never forgot the lessons that RM and the community taught me. Last night, I was blessed to receive a call from Nintendo, and now have entered into an argreement to produce Wii U games for them. None of it would be possible if I hadn't l... Aug 21, 2014

Conect11 was last seen:
Jul 25, 2015
    1. Conect11
      Conect11
      Thought I'd pop back in with a little bit of encouragement for all the young devs just starting out: about a year and a half ago I started learning RPG Maker, my first coding experience in almost 25 years. After that I moved on to another platform, but never forgot the lessons that RM and the community taught me. Last night, I was blessed to receive a call from Nintendo, and now have entered into an argreement to produce Wii U games for them. None of it would be possible if I hadn't l...
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Bonkers
        Bonkers
        ...killed the shark that was terrorizing the populace with a laser sword.
        Aug 21, 2014
      3. Shaz
        Shaz
        Congratulations! Making Wii games would be fun!
        Aug 21, 2014
      4. Conect11
        Conect11
        dang, I just realized I typo'd on my comment. The second half of the post should have read "wouldn't have been possible WITHOUT RM. God is so good :) ."
        Aug 22, 2014
    2. Conect11
      Conect11
      Miss everyone. Still love RPG Maker, but have been knee deep in coding with Unity lately. Will tell you what, learn RM products definitely helped me learn how to understand scripting better =)
      1. Traveling Bard
        Traveling Bard
        Unity seems like the next logical step for developers that use rpg maker. To me at least. I hope to move to it some day, glad to hear it's working out for ya :)
        Sep 27, 2013
      2. Conect11
        Conect11
        it took weeks to understand it, almost gave up, and one day it just "clicked," thank God =)
        Sep 27, 2013
    3. Conect11
      Conect11
      Got my Ouya yesterday. Not terribly impressed, but not hateful about it either. I'll tell you what, it emulates the heck out of older systems.
    4. Conect11
      Conect11
      Read a story about video games the other day where a commenter said something to the effect of "sure, games are better graphically today, but nobody writes good stories anymore..." which I found funny as I sifted through my 25 year old memories of "save the princess," ... "save the princess," ... or, "oh look, I can save the princess!"
      2. Dark Horseman
        Dark Horseman
        I'm pretty sure we're still playing save the princess in games as lauded as Bioshock Infinity and Last of Us.
        Jun 22, 2013
      3. wildwes
        wildwes
        But... if I didn't have my rose-tinted glasses, I woudn't be playing FFV right now... :(
        Jun 22, 2013
      4. Conect11
        Conect11
        just started playing Half Life 2 for the first time (I know, late to the party) and I'm like "wow."
        Jun 22, 2013
    5. Conect11
      Conect11
      Just started playing Half - Life 2. Where have you been all my life???
      2. Zalerinian
        Zalerinian
        Sorry for messing up the joke, I'm a bit tired right now.
        Jun 20, 2013
      3. Confederacy
        Confederacy
        It's perfectly fine.
        Jun 20, 2013
      4. Conect11
        Conect11
        lol, this goes back to my whole idea of being a system scavenger. That said, I'm finding HL2 an incredible game :)
        Jun 21, 2013
    6. Conect11
      Conect11
      So Lilly just started singing "Around the World" by Daft Punk to me. That was random...
    7. Conect11
      Conect11
      So I've come to the realization that I'm a video game scavenger. I like to pick systems up years after they come out. The advantage is that A: There are far more games available than there would be at launch, and B: They're far cheaper. I like far cheaper. Got a PS3 on Craigslist today, once I traded in the games the previous owner threw in with it my total came to under a hundred bucks. I think that Ouya might have to find a new home ;)
      2. SLEEP
        SLEEP
        I'm poor and this is the ONLY WAY TO GAME.
        Jun 19, 2013
      3. Dark Horseman
        Dark Horseman
        Welcome to frugal gamers anonymous. We welcome you with open arms.

I borrow games and accounts whenever possible, never preorder, and watch Let's Play for games I'm on the fence about buying.
        Jun 19, 2013
      4. Conect11
        Conect11
        nice, every one of you. Nice.
        Jun 19, 2013
    8. Conect11
      Conect11
    9. Conect11
      Conect11
      What an incredibly depressing thing, to spend a few months making a game, only to find on your first full playthrough that it's a buggy disaster." :( On a positive note, that's the name of my Amish Ska band's next new hit... "Buggy Disaster!"
      2. Winterfate
        Winterfate
        I envy you so much right now NPC. :o

I'm starting to dream about bugs. :(
        Jun 16, 2013
      3. Titanhex
        Titanhex
        First playtest and full of bugs = normal dev experience. Always.

Worse yet when you can't fix a bug no matter how hard you try.
        Jun 16, 2013
      4. Conect11
        Conect11
        @Titanhex: yeah. Sigh. That's when you have to just step back and try again tomorrow.
        Jun 16, 2013
    10. Conect11
      Conect11
      I notice that my status from last night has disappeared. Am thinking it's because I linked to another RPG Maker resource website. If that's against the rules, am sorry! I swear I looked at the board and forum rules and didn't see it :(
      1. SoulPour777
        SoulPour777
        whoever made that rule if so, sucks XD
        Jun 11, 2013
      2. Celianna
        Celianna
        ^that'd be me.
        Jun 11, 2013
    11. Conect11
      Conect11
      what do you mean my game doesn't have multiple endings? See that "Game Over"screen? That's an ending!
      1. wildwes
        wildwes
        I think you're doing it wrong.
        Jun 8, 2013
      2. SLEEP
        SLEEP
        The Game Over is the best ending, you have sacrificed yourself for the greater good.
        Jun 8, 2013
      3. Espon
        Espon
        In Live-A-Live, getting gameover would give you a cutscene on what happens because of your scrubbiness.
        Jun 8, 2013
    12. Conect11
      Conect11
      Eventing the last sequence of my next game's primary ending and am trying to walk the tightrope between a necessary plot device, and going Deus Ex Machina.
    13. Conect11
      Conect11
      In the next room my daughter is playing some weird fast paced polka on the computer while I playtest a very somber scene in my game, which I haven't added sound to yet. The result is hilarious.
      1. Jef299
        Jef299
        This is my fav polka song by miles!:
        Jun 5, 2013
    14. Conect11
      Conect11
      Don't know how, but somehow, someway I managed to go through my entire life having never played a Final Fantasy game. So I got a used PSP last week, got three different F.F. games (really loving Chrisis Core, btw) and started on the remake of #1. One of my first thoughts? "Wow, I see RPG Maker games look a LOT like this." lol
      1. Liak
        Liak
        A few weeks before Ace was released, I was watching an LP of the FFIV remake on PSP. The similarities also got me very excited. I wanted Ace so badly so I could start making something like that, too! (Well, not quite like that, but the overall style is similar.)
        Jun 4, 2013
    15. Conect11
      Conect11
      My daughter keeps amazing me using Ace. Seven years old and Autistic, she's never really talked much, but with RPG Maker she is incredibly expressive. She just evented her game's final boss, "King Max." Is this thing Zelda? Of course not, but am such a happy papa that she saw this project through. :)
      2. Jarrad
        Jarrad
        Conect, that's amazing. Be proud of her.
        May 28, 2013
      3. sai
        sai
        That's pretty awesome. <:
        May 28, 2013
      4. seita
        seita
        That's really cool Conect. From what I've gleamed, autistic children excel very much in a specific field, perhaps your daughter excels in electronics?
        May 28, 2013
    16. Conect11
      Conect11
      Got home from work, hadn't say down with RPG Maker all day, so thought I'd work on my game a little and, nothing. Well, not much. Time for bed, will try and tackle this tomorrow.
      1. Zalerinian
        Zalerinian
        Yea I'm feeling sleepish too. Been out for 8-9 hours for Memorial day here in the US, and now I'm really just tired.
        May 27, 2013
      2. Conect11
        Conect11
        yep, a Yankee here myself. Happy Memorial Day to you!
        May 27, 2013
      3. Zalerinian
        Zalerinian
        Yep! Had some nice steak, some chicken, and a lot of fruit salad. Mmm, fruit!
        May 27, 2013
    17. Conect11
      Conect11
      There are the days when you get tons of mapping done, putting new, exciting areas in your game and you think "PROGRESS!!!!" Then there are days like today when you need to make sure an event is JUST right, and need to copy it a few times, taking up the entire day. (or multiple days!)
      1. Jef299
        Jef299
        As long as you get a little done each day it's still progress!
        May 25, 2013
      2. Conect11
        Conect11
        Definitely. I call it the long slog, those necessary, but not so sexy days that you get a little done, but it's still something.
        May 25, 2013
    18. Conect11
      Conect11
      So now that my NPC speed problem is fixed, I have a new one: he gets in my way! I literally can never go back the way I came from because the NPC blocks my path every time. WHY??????? :(
      2. Winterfate
        Winterfate
        Couldn't you make it so that you have a conditional on the NPC that makes it passable while your player is in contact with said NPC?

Or, perhaps have a Parallel Process Event that makes the NPC non-passable if it gets close to impassable terrain.
        May 24, 2013
      3. Wyn Wizard
        Wyn Wizard
        @Winterfate

not quite sure if possible.

I think that sounds like a scripting problem solver to me.
        May 24, 2013
      4. Conect11
        Conect11
        Winterfate: Bingo! The way it worked was to make page 1 player touch, trigger self switch A. Page 2 nearly identical, but NPC is set to "below player," and self switch A gets turned off. This way, you can pass them, but they cannot pass over you.
        May 24, 2013
    19. Conect11
      Conect11
      I said move the same speed as my player! Y U no move the same speed as my player???
      2. Winterfate
        Winterfate
        XD

U bein' trolled Conect11. :p

Ok, I'm not sure what I can do to help, but here's a basic tip that most people don't notice:

NPCs base speed is 3. The player's base speed is 4. The player's speed when dashing is 5. :)
        May 24, 2013
      3. Wyn Wizard
        Wyn Wizard
        so set the npc speed to 6!
        May 24, 2013
      4. Conect11
        Conect11
        Yep, an event, drassray. Specifically, and NPC. His speed was set at 4 (normal) but wasn't actually moving that fast. Turned out a couple of parallel process events on the same map had caused a lag.
        May 24, 2013
    20. Conect11
      Conect11
      was scrambling for socks all week, so I decided that my next batch of laundry was going to be nothing but socks. Then I saw the laundry pile. Easier said than done...
  • About

Birthday:
    Oct 8, 1975 (Age: 43)
    First Language:
    English
    Hello, I'm a pastor at a small inner - city church in Cleveland, Ohio, who happens to love video games. Am a big fan of Zelda - style action RPGs, specifically. Am married with two children, and I think my family is going to revolt since I haven't gotten off the computer since purchasing RPG Maker ;)

Ministry, cooking, travel, poetry, RPGs and other video games, fishing, camping