Conect11
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Thought I'd pop back in with a little bit of encouragement for all the young devs just starting out: about a year and a half ago I started learning RPG Maker, my first coding experience in almost 25 years. After that I moved on to another platform, but never forgot the lessons that RM and the community taught me. Last night, I was blessed to receive a call from Nintendo, and now have entered into an argreement to produce Wii U games for them. None of it would be possible if I hadn't l...
    Bonkers
    Bonkers
    ...killed the shark that was terrorizing the populace with a laser sword.
    Shaz
    Shaz
    Congratulations! Making Wii games would be fun!
    Conect11
    Conect11
    dang, I just realized I typo'd on my comment. The second half of the post should have read "wouldn't have been possible WITHOUT RM. God is so good :) ."
    Miss everyone. Still love RPG Maker, but have been knee deep in coding with Unity lately. Will tell you what, learn RM products definitely helped me learn how to understand scripting better =)
    Traveling Bard
    Traveling Bard
    Unity seems like the next logical step for developers that use rpg maker. To me at least. I hope to move to it some day, glad to hear it's working out for ya :)
    Conect11
    Conect11
    it took weeks to understand it, almost gave up, and one day it just "clicked," thank God =)
    Got my Ouya yesterday. Not terribly impressed, but not hateful about it either. I'll tell you what, it emulates the heck out of older systems.
    Read a story about video games the other day where a commenter said something to the effect of "sure, games are better graphically today, but nobody writes good stories anymore..." which I found funny as I sifted through my 25 year old memories of "save the princess," ... "save the princess," ... or, "oh look, I can save the princess!"
    Dark Horseman
    Dark Horseman
    I'm pretty sure we're still playing save the princess in games as lauded as Bioshock Infinity and Last of Us.
    wildwes
    wildwes
    But... if I didn't have my rose-tinted glasses, I woudn't be playing FFV right now... :(
    Conect11
    Conect11
    just started playing Half Life 2 for the first time (I know, late to the party) and I'm like "wow."
    So Lilly just started singing "Around the World" by Daft Punk to me. That was random...
    So I've come to the realization that I'm a video game scavenger. I like to pick systems up years after they come out. The advantage is that A: There are far more games available than there would be at launch, and B: They're far cheaper. I like far cheaper. Got a PS3 on Craigslist today, once I traded in the games the previous owner threw in with it my total came to under a hundred bucks. I think that Ouya might have to find a new home ;)
    SLEEP
    SLEEP
    I'm poor and this is the ONLY WAY TO GAME.
    Dark Horseman
    Dark Horseman
    Welcome to frugal gamers anonymous. We welcome you with open arms.

I borrow games and accounts whenever possible, never preorder, and watch Let's Play for games I'm on the fence about buying.
    Conect11
    Conect11
    nice, every one of you. Nice.
    What an incredibly depressing thing, to spend a few months making a game, only to find on your first full playthrough that it's a buggy disaster." :( On a positive note, that's the name of my Amish Ska band's next new hit... "Buggy Disaster!"
    Winterfate
    I envy you so much right now NPC. :o

I'm starting to dream about bugs. :(
    Titanhex
    Titanhex
    First playtest and full of bugs = normal dev experience. Always.

Worse yet when you can't fix a bug no matter how hard you try.
    Conect11
    Conect11
    @Titanhex: yeah. Sigh. That's when you have to just step back and try again tomorrow.
    I notice that my status from last night has disappeared. Am thinking it's because I linked to another RPG Maker resource website. If that's against the rules, am sorry! I swear I looked at the board and forum rules and didn't see it :(
    what do you mean my game doesn't have multiple endings? See that "Game Over"screen? That's an ending!
    wildwes
    wildwes
    I think you're doing it wrong.
    SLEEP
    SLEEP
    The Game Over is the best ending, you have sacrificed yourself for the greater good.
    Espon
    Espon
    In Live-A-Live, getting gameover would give you a cutscene on what happens because of your scrubbiness.
    Eventing the last sequence of my next game's primary ending and am trying to walk the tightrope between a necessary plot device, and going Deus Ex Machina.
    In the next room my daughter is playing some weird fast paced polka on the computer while I playtest a very somber scene in my game, which I haven't added sound to yet. The result is hilarious.
    Jef299
    Jef299
    This is my fav polka song by miles!:
    Don't know how, but somehow, someway I managed to go through my entire life having never played a Final Fantasy game. So I got a used PSP last week, got three different F.F. games (really loving Chrisis Core, btw) and started on the remake of #1. One of my first thoughts? "Wow, I see RPG Maker games look a LOT like this." lol
    Liak
    Liak
    A few weeks before Ace was released, I was watching an LP of the FFIV remake on PSP. The similarities also got me very excited. I wanted Ace so badly so I could start making something like that, too! (Well, not quite like that, but the overall style is similar.)
    My daughter keeps amazing me using Ace. Seven years old and Autistic, she's never really talked much, but with RPG Maker she is incredibly expressive. She just evented her game's final boss, "King Max." Is this thing Zelda? Of course not, but am such a happy papa that she saw this project through. :)
    Jarrad
    Jarrad
    Conect, that's amazing. Be proud of her.
    sai
    sai
    That's pretty awesome. <:
    seita
    seita
    That's really cool Conect. From what I've gleamed, autistic children excel very much in a specific field, perhaps your daughter excels in electronics?
    Got home from work, hadn't say down with RPG Maker all day, so thought I'd work on my game a little and, nothing. Well, not much. Time for bed, will try and tackle this tomorrow.
    Zalerinian
    Zalerinian
    Yea I'm feeling sleepish too. Been out for 8-9 hours for Memorial day here in the US, and now I'm really just tired.
    Conect11
    Conect11
    yep, a Yankee here myself. Happy Memorial Day to you!
    Zalerinian
    Zalerinian
    Yep! Had some nice steak, some chicken, and a lot of fruit salad. Mmm, fruit!
    There are the days when you get tons of mapping done, putting new, exciting areas in your game and you think "PROGRESS!!!!" Then there are days like today when you need to make sure an event is JUST right, and need to copy it a few times, taking up the entire day. (or multiple days!)
    Jef299
    Jef299
    As long as you get a little done each day it's still progress!
    Conect11
    Conect11
    Definitely. I call it the long slog, those necessary, but not so sexy days that you get a little done, but it's still something.
    So now that my NPC speed problem is fixed, I have a new one: he gets in my way! I literally can never go back the way I came from because the NPC blocks my path every time. WHY??????? :(
    Winterfate
    Couldn't you make it so that you have a conditional on the NPC that makes it passable while your player is in contact with said NPC?

Or, perhaps have a Parallel Process Event that makes the NPC non-passable if it gets close to impassable terrain.
    Wyn Wizard
    Wyn Wizard
    @Winterfate

not quite sure if possible.

I think that sounds like a scripting problem solver to me.
    Conect11
    Conect11
    Winterfate: Bingo! The way it worked was to make page 1 player touch, trigger self switch A. Page 2 nearly identical, but NPC is set to "below player," and self switch A gets turned off. This way, you can pass them, but they cannot pass over you.
    I said move the same speed as my player! Y U no move the same speed as my player???
    Winterfate
    XD

U bein' trolled Conect11. :p

Ok, I'm not sure what I can do to help, but here's a basic tip that most people don't notice:

NPCs base speed is 3. The player's base speed is 4. The player's speed when dashing is 5. :)
    Wyn Wizard
    Wyn Wizard
    so set the npc speed to 6!
    Conect11
    Conect11
    Yep, an event, drassray. Specifically, and NPC. His speed was set at 4 (normal) but wasn't actually moving that fast. Turned out a couple of parallel process events on the same map had caused a lag.
    was scrambling for socks all week, so I decided that my next batch of laundry was going to be nothing but socks. Then I saw the laundry pile. Easier said than done...
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly! Going to do another art stream tonight so that I can finish my Fauna Focus piece~ Feel free to drop by!
Humans are fallible creatures, we all know that. It's when we're forced to look at ourselves that we start to disagree. :p
Expectation: Working on boss battle.
Reality: "Look at how awful are these code and database organization. Let me clean this mess", *yet, casually adding more modules that I have no idea if I would use it later*
Trying to learn to read Japanese so I read my manga. I like to buy them without all the edits made during translation.
The only thing getting me through today so far is coffee. And lots of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
korap