Cythera
Reaction score

Profile posts Postings Awarded medals About

• That moment when you're getting a new update ready, deploy it for the final round of testing (gotta make sure the deployed version runs, ya know?) andddddd there's a visual blip :ysrs: Doesn't impact gameplay. It's only on-screen for a few seconds. But you can't leave it there.
    So now you have to fix it, then redeploy, then retest. Why do I do this to myself.
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Thanks; you've been a huge help in my game :) I'm bribing myself with chocolate to get this last lil bit tested and uploaded.
    And I think you'll be happy to know, I've got the ending for my game written out!!! We're almost at the end haha.
    BK-tdm
    BK-tdm
    Man i get this but with icons, or a misplaced sprite or a typo!
    Setbacks, setbacks every corner :kaoslp:
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Blegh, see, this is why we test stuff. One of the changes I made now softlocks something else (how, I'll never know)
    Happy I found it. Sad I gotta fix it, and retest it and redeploy it and retest it...I'm going out for food. I'll finish this up tonight :yswt2:
    This was 100% a productive use of my time. Rather than make game progress, I... made a lil boat that shows the characters when the boat in is use?
    I think it's cute though.
    Untitled.png
    Cythera
    Cythera
    You only get to use the boat after you get your full party - and, only for a little bit before something destroys it haha.
    Now I guess the next thing I gotta add the party to is the dragon 'airship' sprite >.>
    Shaz
    Shaz
    haha - that's like spending 90% of your time on something that will only form 10% of the finished product :D But it does look cute!
    Reactions: Cythera
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Definitely less than 10% of the game - but worth it for the cuteness :yswt: I find little extras go a long way to add character depth - to show there's more to them than just the main story events.
    Having a hard time finding motivation to work on my game. Not sure why. Just...eh. Not bored, but just tired. I think I'm getting a little frustrated with myself as to why the stupid thing isn't finished yet.
    ZombieKidzRule
    ZombieKidzRule
    I get it. Lately the only time I want to work on anything is when I can't. When I have the time, I don't have the motivation to get started again. Or there are distractions that keep me from concentrating. I hope things get better for you soon.
    TheAM-Dol
    TheAM-Dol
    Motivation comes in spurts. Forcing yourself to work is going make you hate your game more. Take a break and go enjoy what life has to offer, then come back to it a few weeks later and you may be surprised how your motivation has improved. (Also watching other devs work hard on their game often makes me feel motivated, so maybe watch some dev logs.)
    kyonides
    kyonides
    It's like taking a break. Basically, it's one of those cases when stuff happens and that's it. Not a real problem, just waiting for a better idea than those you had to arrive any time soon.
    I just had a 1% event happen 6 times in a row while testing a new WIP mechanic, and oh did it throw me for a loop :ysrs: Whelp. I guess I'm buying a lotto ticket tonight?
    ScorchedGround
    ScorchedGround
    And then there you are looking for a bug that was never there to begin with :D
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Exactly! I deliberately set the rates to extremes (1%, 90%) when testing to ensure it's, ya know, working as it should. But during my extreme 1% test, it happens 6 in a row?! Time to bug-hunt! Except...no bugs. Just luck.
    AssumedPseudonym
    AssumedPseudonym
    It’s already too late for the lottery ticket. You used up all the luck in testing the mechanic.
    I fixed a plugin incompatibility!
    And by fixed, I mean I moved one plugin above the other in the list :yswt:
    Plugin order matters, people. Truly it does.
    Shaz
    Shaz
    You had the wisdom to try that, which is still impressive ;) Me? I'd probably jump right on in and start changing lines left, right and center, and only discover after wasting a few hours that I could have taken that approach!
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Oh no, that was my first thought too. However, one is obstrufacatradddgfs - encrypted. So I surrendered for a few months. Then at work today, it randomly popped into my head 'hey, maybe I should change the order!'
    And whaddyaknow. It works!
    BK-tdm
    BK-tdm
    Hey a fix is a fix, thankfully years of skyrim modding teached me to check load orders on stuff :kaopride:
    Ahh, yes, game development. Where I notice a bug and rather than spend 2 minutes fixing it, write it down in my to-do notebook. Then stare at the screen for half an hour.
    Progress.
    Someone please help :yswt:
    Trihan
    Trihan
    @Nereid I mean no malice with that, but 90% of your posts on these forums seem to be you talking about RPG Maker like it's your least favourite thing on the planet. You seem to focus almost exclusively on the negative, and I wonder why you're here if you hate it so much. It's not healthy to spend that much time around things that frustrate you.
    Nereid
    Nereid
    Oh, I'm negative in general... funnily, I used another engine too, and someone got angry as I was also negative about it as it had some missing features (but at least not a '*' indicating changes to the file...)
    Trihan
    Trihan
    I'm not angry, I'm worried about you. And also amused by how negative you always seem to be, but definitely not angry. :p But I also have no further wish to hijack Cythera's status update for this, so I'll leave it there.
    Important news: I have a sofa!!!
    I've been living in this place for over a year and oh, how I tired of sitting on patio furniture inside! So, I got a sofa. And it is amazing.
    Now it is property of my cats >.>
    PixelatedBree
    PixelatedBree
    Congrats on the sofa! In one of my apartments, we used a bunch of pillows in place of actual furniture xD Our parents didn't particularly enjoy coming to visit :kaoswt:
    ATT_Turan
    ATT_Turan
    I'm afraid to see whether I need to get a new sofa. Mine is making increasingly alarming noises when I sit and recline.
    Got the core mechanic for my IGMC game working perfectly. Which is really good, because I wasn't sure how difficult it would be to pull off (spoiler alert, pretty difficult)
    In hindsight...I should have started with the core mechanic. Ya know. In case it didn't work :yswt:
    I-G-M-C, I-G-M-C!
    To be honest, I had no idea what this was until now haha. But it looks fun, so my main game is on hold for a month while I participate! :yhappy:
    I just learnt not everyone knows what a penguin is when I told my friend I wanted to get one because they taste good.
    To clarify, I'm talking about the chocolate biscuit called Penguin :yswt2:
    I attempted to recreate my game with parallax mapping.
    I made it one map in before deciding, nope! :yswt: It's time-consuming, I'm really bad at it, and I'd have to parallax-ify 600+ maps. Tile-based mapping it is!
    Maybe on a smaller project I'll make pretty parallax maps.
    Kanori24
    Kanori24
    I've considered the parallax mapping thing too, but I'm just better at tiling. XD
    KazukiT
    KazukiT
    I tried to do parallax mapping too. I realized it was too tedious and time-consuming for me as well. My second game has a few parallax maps but only to enhance the tileset of the game.
    ShadowDragon
    ShadowDragon
    parallax = unlimit layers (but takes more space), tiling in editor is stricted to 3 layers
    which is on auto, so no control over it (in MZ does), but I think that was 4?

most important part is the story and adventure in it :) polish later where possible.
    Nothing like getting cursed and sworn at by my prof when I'm asking for help with the course to start the day :ysrs:
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Quexp, wasn't in class. I requested a meeting with my prof to discuss difficulties and concerns I had in the course. Private meeting; nobody else there. Which makes it my word against hers, so I'm even less optimistic about a complaint going anywhere >.>
    bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Sadly a lot of schools are more interested in how well the profs research, not how well they teach. I had some in grad school that would tell you go figure it out if you had questions. And they got away with it as the school cared more about how much research $$$ they brought in than in how well they taught things.
    Cythera
    Cythera
    I feel that is painfully true, BG.
    I've been told upper years are better, because the profs are a bit more chill, and first year profs can be very full of themselves-"This isn't high school; you NEED me! But I'm super busy so good luck."
    I'll see what happens. Term's halfway done and I can choose a different prof for following courses next year. Just puts me right off the course when the prof is so unapproachable
    Reactions: BK-tdm
    I have so many maps/towns/areas to make I have no idea where to start
    I suppose this is what I get for making a massive world. Gotta actually...make the world :ysrs:
    Reactions: FarOutFighter
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Yuppers. It's painful, isn't it haha? You know what you have to do - you've probably got a list like I do - but...start where???
    Plus, it's not just mapping it. You have to put a reason for players to go through. Shops, quests, treasure, whatever. So now you need to balance too
    RCXGaming
    RCXGaming
    I'm very straightforward, so I'd just make them when they're necessary. But at the same time there's some dev advice I came across a while back that said "work on the part that excites you the most first and then do the rest since game development is non-linear".
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Well I can happily say I'm in the final stretch of development, so arguably everything is 'necessary' now haha!
    Additionally, my favorite part is balancing and making bosses ._. Final boss aside, everything on that front is done.
    While that advice is very sound and I thank you, it just isn't applicable to me! :yswt:
    Today I fixed an issue on my laptop by turning it off and back on again.
    I guess I'm now qualified to be an on-call tech support rep? :ywink:
    Kanori24
    Kanori24
    Wow that worked! Thanks! Any other tech support line would just ask if I had installed any third party software and blame my problems on that! lol (in reality I provide tech support for everyone I know and fix everything myself :D )
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Now I have to ask: which option worked? :D
    And seriously, out of curiosity, how many of your tech support problems are actually solved by a restart lol?
    Kanori24
    Kanori24
    Oh, the restart worked lol Well I've seen anything from a computer who's user just never shuts down to a failed motherboard. Honestly most of the problems that are brought to me were the result of a lack of system maintenance. That and a PC with internals caked with so much dirt they couldn't radiate heat properly, leading to poor performance and sudden shutdowns.
    Getting tense in here...so have something funny! I just learnt how you quote people and add comments in. I've been quoting, deleting the text I'll respond to next, commenting, then quoting and repeating :yswt: I thought you add to quote the same text multiple times
    Enigma_Productions
    Enigma_Productions
    It wasn't working so I highlighted the text to press enter, and then suddenly a small message box popped up with quote as an option. I clicked it and it actually worked!!!
    Omg you don't know how valuable this information is going to be for that friend I mentioned. :kaopride::kaopride::kaopride::kaopride:
    ATT_Turan
    ATT_Turan
    There's also just Reply, which is easiest to use if you're only going to be quoting one post. Quote is for gathering multiple posts to respond to.
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Yeah. Listen to Turan. He's the veteran. I'm just the weird aunt who pops in from time to time, makes bad jokes, then leaves to eat gingerbread houses in March :yswt:
    Is it truly considered cheating to cheat levels and equipment in your own game...?
    I got tired of seeing my own game over screen because I refused to utilize my own mechanics properly while playtesting :yswt:
    RCXGaming
    RCXGaming
    It's a Yanfly Battle Engine exclusive thing. Press f8 while playtesting to delete every enemy in combat. Has saved me quite a bit of time.
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Well now. I'm going to have to see if that exists for me. That would save a huge amount of time when testing for bugs XD
    cthulhusquid
    cthulhusquid
    Lol no, I use instakill items to breeze through the storyline for testing purposes. However, if I am actually playtesting for playtesting purposes, then I don't cheat.
    So I'm moving my PC so I can watch a movie in bed, feeling pretty clever. I hear a little slurp noise behind me, and I turn to see my 18 year old cat on my bedside table, drinking the milk in my teacup:kaomad3: Not the kitten. But the elder cat.
    And yes, I drink milk before bed.
    I have failed; I forgot not one but TWO mechanics I gave my own boss in my own game, and I saw my own game over screen.
    It's not even hidden mechanics; there is a player skill that is instant-use and shows passives enemies have! Did I use it? No, why would I need to use that skill; I made the boss! I know the mechanics! :kaoswt:
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I really, really want the Magic story to be good, but instead we got today's chapter of the most predictable mish-mash of tropes with almost no personality. I let go of the physical game years ago, but I can't seem to let go of the story.
Just finished watching the last of the Final Destination movies. I'm digging every last water bottle out of that old van :p
Put off learning to drive for so long, I hope I don't run into any of-fences ..... (quietly leaves)
I introduced a new character to Mintabelle's Wonderland. Fufu the Raccoon! She's supposed to be a motherly daycare attendant, but when the power goes out, she becomes a monster. Rumor among kids says she causes these outages herself...
After an entire year, finally made new story cutscenes. Ones that take place after the current last boss. Praise be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Klaus001