Cythera
Reaction score

Profile posts Postings Awarded medals About

• Got the core mechanic for my IGMC game working perfectly. Which is really good, because I wasn't sure how difficult it would be to pull off (spoiler alert, pretty difficult)
    In hindsight...I should have started with the core mechanic. Ya know. In case it didn't work :yswt:
    I-G-M-C, I-G-M-C!
    To be honest, I had no idea what this was until now haha. But it looks fun, so my main game is on hold for a month while I participate! :yhappy:
    I just learnt not everyone knows what a penguin is when I told my friend I wanted to get one because they taste good.
    To clarify, I'm talking about the chocolate biscuit called Penguin :yswt2:
    I attempted to recreate my game with parallax mapping.
    I made it one map in before deciding, nope! :yswt: It's time-consuming, I'm really bad at it, and I'd have to parallax-ify 600+ maps. Tile-based mapping it is!
    Maybe on a smaller project I'll make pretty parallax maps.
    Kanori24
    Kanori24
    I've considered the parallax mapping thing too, but I'm just better at tiling. XD
    KazukiT
    KazukiT
    I tried to do parallax mapping too. I realized it was too tedious and time-consuming for me as well. My second game has a few parallax maps but only to enhance the tileset of the game.
    ShadowDragon
    ShadowDragon
    parallax = unlimit layers (but takes more space), tiling in editor is stricted to 3 layers
    which is on auto, so no control over it (in MZ does), but I think that was 4?

most important part is the story and adventure in it :) polish later where possible.
    Nothing like getting cursed and sworn at by my prof when I'm asking for help with the course to start the day :ysrs:
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Quexp, wasn't in class. I requested a meeting with my prof to discuss difficulties and concerns I had in the course. Private meeting; nobody else there. Which makes it my word against hers, so I'm even less optimistic about a complaint going anywhere >.>
    • Sad
    Reactions: Quexp
    bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Sadly a lot of schools are more interested in how well the profs research, not how well they teach. I had some in grad school that would tell you go figure it out if you had questions. And they got away with it as the school cared more about how much research $$$ they brought in than in how well they taught things.
    Cythera
    Cythera
    I feel that is painfully true, BG.
    I've been told upper years are better, because the profs are a bit more chill, and first year profs can be very full of themselves-"This isn't high school; you NEED me! But I'm super busy so good luck."
    I'll see what happens. Term's halfway done and I can choose a different prof for following courses next year. Just puts me right off the course when the prof is so unapproachable
    Reactions: BK-tdm
    I have so many maps/towns/areas to make I have no idea where to start
    I suppose this is what I get for making a massive world. Gotta actually...make the world :ysrs:
    Reactions: FarOutFighter
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Yuppers. It's painful, isn't it haha? You know what you have to do - you've probably got a list like I do - but...start where???
    Plus, it's not just mapping it. You have to put a reason for players to go through. Shops, quests, treasure, whatever. So now you need to balance too
    RCXGaming
    RCXGaming
    I'm very straightforward, so I'd just make them when they're necessary. But at the same time there's some dev advice I came across a while back that said "work on the part that excites you the most first and then do the rest since game development is non-linear".
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Well I can happily say I'm in the final stretch of development, so arguably everything is 'necessary' now haha!
    Additionally, my favorite part is balancing and making bosses ._. Final boss aside, everything on that front is done.
    While that advice is very sound and I thank you, it just isn't applicable to me! :yswt:
    Today I fixed an issue on my laptop by turning it off and back on again.
    I guess I'm now qualified to be an on-call tech support rep? :ywink:
    Kanori24
    Kanori24
    Wow that worked! Thanks! Any other tech support line would just ask if I had installed any third party software and blame my problems on that! lol (in reality I provide tech support for everyone I know and fix everything myself :D )
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Now I have to ask: which option worked? :D
    And seriously, out of curiosity, how many of your tech support problems are actually solved by a restart lol?
    Kanori24
    Kanori24
    Oh, the restart worked lol Well I've seen anything from a computer who's user just never shuts down to a failed motherboard. Honestly most of the problems that are brought to me were the result of a lack of system maintenance. That and a PC with internals caked with so much dirt they couldn't radiate heat properly, leading to poor performance and sudden shutdowns.
    Getting tense in here...so have something funny! I just learnt how you quote people and add comments in. I've been quoting, deleting the text I'll respond to next, commenting, then quoting and repeating :yswt: I thought you add to quote the same text multiple times
    Enigma_Productions
    Enigma_Productions
    It wasn't working so I highlighted the text to press enter, and then suddenly a small message box popped up with quote as an option. I clicked it and it actually worked!!!
    Omg you don't know how valuable this information is going to be for that friend I mentioned. :kaopride::kaopride::kaopride::kaopride:
    ATT_Turan
    ATT_Turan
    There's also just Reply, which is easiest to use if you're only going to be quoting one post. Quote is for gathering multiple posts to respond to.
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Yeah. Listen to Turan. He's the veteran. I'm just the weird aunt who pops in from time to time, makes bad jokes, then leaves to eat gingerbread houses in March :yswt:
    Is it truly considered cheating to cheat levels and equipment in your own game...?
    I got tired of seeing my own game over screen because I refused to utilize my own mechanics properly while playtesting :yswt:
    RCXGaming
    RCXGaming
    It's a Yanfly Battle Engine exclusive thing. Press f8 while playtesting to delete every enemy in combat. Has saved me quite a bit of time.
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Well now. I'm going to have to see if that exists for me. That would save a huge amount of time when testing for bugs XD
    cthulhusquid
    cthulhusquid
    Lol no, I use instakill items to breeze through the storyline for testing purposes. However, if I am actually playtesting for playtesting purposes, then I don't cheat.
    So I'm moving my PC so I can watch a movie in bed, feeling pretty clever. I hear a little slurp noise behind me, and I turn to see my 18 year old cat on my bedside table, drinking the milk in my teacup:kaomad3: Not the kitten. But the elder cat.
    And yes, I drink milk before bed.
    I have failed; I forgot not one but TWO mechanics I gave my own boss in my own game, and I saw my own game over screen.
    It's not even hidden mechanics; there is a player skill that is instant-use and shows passives enemies have! Did I use it? No, why would I need to use that skill; I made the boss! I know the mechanics! :kaoswt:
    It is so satisfying to destroy bugs when playtesting. Especially when it's a long-standing, very tiny minor bug that has escaped death for so long. No longer! No longer shall it plague me, its source unknown!
    ...Ah-hem. I'm good.
    I've decided. I'm going to make a rougelike.
    There's some ideas I've had lately I really want to make, but feel they're a little too cruel for a casual game. So instead of trying to add them into my current game, I'm going to make a side project!
    Where I'll find the time I know not. But it should be amusing either way!
    Ninjakillzu
    Ninjakillzu
    Cruelty in a roguelike? That's a staple of the genre! How else am I going to die of starvation in some random sewer because the RNG hates food? My dwarf barbarian outhealed all damage, so Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup decided to give him the ol' middle finger of bad RNG.
    Cythera
    Cythera
    I promise you...that is tame compared to what I have planned.
    I'm hiding behind 'it's a roguelike!' so I'm not going to pull any punches. It's going to be solely for me to scratch that itch and have some fun with brutalizing mechanics :yswt:
    RCXGaming
    RCXGaming
    I finally made a gingerbread village today. Let's just say the structural integrity of the houses were...very poor. There were also hard choices to be made about some of the inhabitants.
    On a completely unrelated note, I now have a stomachache :yswt:
    My kitten has yet to comprehend that the blanket moves because I'm under it - I am not prey or a toy!
    I have so many bite marks on my legs and feet :kaosigh:
    Whenever MV stops responding when I try to save my progress, I have a mini heart attack and frantically try to recall everything I did so I can redo it after the program crashes.
    Thankfully, it saved.
    This time... >.>
    Reinarc
    Reinarc
    That and file corruption has lead to me have (literally) 10 backup copies with different dates on a USB drive, and a copy saved on the cloud. >_>
    ATT_Turan
    ATT_Turan
    Wow...I leave MV running for ages at a time and never have a problem. I think it's crashed once in 1,643 hours of use.
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Lucky! I only have this happen on my main project, so I'm thinking map count or general file size has something to do with it :3
    Don't forget to track Santa, everyone! :kaojoy:
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I know I'll put one of my game's sprites here to give the illusion that I am a productive member of game society.
handelspriteanim.gif
Preparing untested English localization for DOWNFALLEN.

unknown-43.png
Sometimes I wonder if I feature creep... 225 magic spells is a lot lol.
Being hit with nostalgia for something that's gone is both a great thing and so sad.

But being a creative means having ideas for bringing stuff back to life, which can be frustrating and rewarding in it's own right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
froggo