Cythera
Reaction score

Profile posts Postings Awarded medals About

• Hot chocolate and music make studying and note-taking much easier :kaoluv:
    Until my hand cramps up from writing too much!
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    I'm glad I rarely, if ever, need to write things by hand these days. I'm so thankful that we live in an age where you can do almost everything digitally.
    Reactions: Quexp
    Cythera
    Cythera
    I find hand writing notes helps me retain information better than typing notes - otherwise I would 110% spare myself the time and pain!
    Reactions: Quexp
    Quexp
    Quexp
    I totally agree! There's definitely something to physically writing things down.
    First day of university done. I was super worried about any course that requires math skills, because I haven't really used math for a while. Except, I have.
    There is some notable overlap between my math-based classes and the math used in game dev. Fractions, percentages, coordinates. It's, super cool to see actually! ^-^
    It has been so long since I've done any serious writing in my game that I've forgotten the characters' voices :yswt2: Ooohh boi, that means I get to rewrite the next scene several times over until I get their voices back.
    • Wow
    Reactions: RCXDan
    Meowsticks
    Meowsticks
    Definitely one of the hardest things to write when you don't have the character's voice in your head/haven't got it pinned down yet.
    Cythera
    Cythera
    I hope after 30 hours in game, I have character voices down XD
    I just have been so focused on bug hunting and mechanics and balancing, I haven't written major scenes with them for a while. Gotta get back in their heads, ya know?
    Today, I tortured my internet by downloading 20 files at once and then I played a guessing game as to which would finish their download first :kaojoy:
    I don't believe it. I actually did some proofreading in my game - and fixed some grammar errors! I feel so accomplished, knowing I can actually proofread my own writing!
    ...I've had a bad day, okay? Bad enough for me to want to proofread stuff. :yswt2:
    Ughhh, July is not my month. Thankfully, it's nearly done.
    Meowsticks
    Meowsticks
    Sometimes you gotta take whatever victories you can. :)
    Cythera
    Cythera
    True. And proper grammar and spelling is important, so it was productive!
    Playtesting my game and having the MC [whose passive prevents revives on anything he kills...] fall in love with an enemy and kill 2 of his team mates, well. That was neither productive NOR a victory :ysrs: Seriously, this is my RNG when I playtest. Double crit on his own team.
    I had a mini-boss in my game you could lose to without game over-ing. During playtesting, I lost to said boss. Game over?
    Somewhere, sometime, I removed that option and NEVER put it in my changelog so I have no clue when or why I did this.
    Dev is broken inside. :/
    • Sad
    Reactions: ShadowDragon
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Food is always good :kaoluv:
    I'm just soooo close to finishing my game and I'm getting super excited for that moment. When I encounter these kinds of things, I get all confused and annoyed that it's one more thing to do before I can make more progress
    RCXDan
    RCXDan
    Bro, the game changing on its own is something that's happened to me too. At one point an entire switch was deleted without me knowing and closed off an entire part of the game. It legit gave me a panic attack because I thought the game was becoming sentient.
    Cythera
    Cythera
    That sounds scary, but at the same time...I would LOVE if I could get the AI on my bosses to become semi-sentient! Imagine the difficulty... :kaopride:Delicious
    Whelp, I'm moving in 3 weeks and starting university in 8 weeks ^-^
    Sadly that means I won't have too much time for game dev work until I get settled in at school.
    One day, I'll have a finished game haha - one day!
    Willibab
    Willibab
    You will most likely be done before me, I have a real problem sticking to one project :3
    Cythera
    Cythera
    I do that too ._. I have a bunch of side projects on the go haha. I keep them as test files or things to mess around with when I get a little burnt out working on my game, but still want to do some dev work and create stuff!
    Does anyone else struggle with - 'oh, I've learnt so much; I could make my game way better if I went back and redid it' ?
    Because I'm torn; yes, that's probably true, but I'll learn something else later down the line. If I keep redoing to improve, it'll never be finished!
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Hmm, I've only ever done that with my maps. Some towns took me four times to get it right, but I haven't done any chances since then. (I mean I did have to completely restart the project once as well, but that was because I lost all my files :kaocry: )
    cthulhusquid
    cthulhusquid
    I restarted mine (Battle Castle) recently, almost everything is being improved from the ground up. I'm really happy with how the new maps, game features, and emotional vibe is coming along.
    kirbwarrior
    kirbwarrior
    I'm generally against remakes, and from a developer perspective, I wouldn't want to remake it because I have more game ideas I want to make. In fact, I'm certain the next game you make would be better than redoing the first game because you already know so much more going into it.
    Whelp. I wanted to take a programming class and a game development class at university as electives. They said no :ysad: It's not in my program. Now I'm sad, and in trouble ha... I struggled enough to pick my electives in the first place!
    coucassi
    coucassi
    I feel like every class in university thats actually interesting does either not earn you credit points or isn't part of the program -_-
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Yes, they told me I need 3 electives, yet all other classes are 'not in my program' so my electives are limited to maybe a dozen classes... Maybe I can appeal the denial ._.
    I am having such a good hair day but because it's thunderstorms all day I don't go out and as such nobody will see my hair >.< It's not often my hair cooperates!
    I got a new PC... Nothing wrong with my lil laptop at all! Still works great, and I'll be using it for school. But, the specs for gaming were falling off fast. So I was selfish and bought myself a beast of a PC ^-^
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    @Willibab Ignore the out of date driver thing. That website always claims a driver is out of date, even though GeForce Experience says I have the newest drivers:

1623700902989.png
    Mr. Detective
    Mr. Detective
    This guy bragging about being able to afford a gaming rig right now... j/k XD
    It's a pre-built? Hope it's worth the price tag. :p
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Not bragging; just sharing some very exciting news :p
    And yes, prebuilt rig. For one, parts where I am are stupid expensive and near impossible to get a hold of - no stock. Second, eh, don't have time to build a rig myself lol
    For all my complaining about the horrors of mapping, it has been shielding me from the true terror : playtesting and bug hunting :yswt2:
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    @ScorchedGround Tween saved me so much time and trouble back in the older versions of RPG Maker. Shame the animation editor was totally removed in MZ, though.
    Cythera
    Cythera
    When I get burnt out, I hop into the database, so skills aren't the problem for me haha! Or I make really bad puns...
    Animations for said skills though - eek. The batch button is super useful.
    Still. I'd take making animations over bug hunting to be honest ._.
    TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    I like bug hunting much more than the chores of mapping.
    Actually, I hate everything that does not use my brain to solve something.
    I've finally done it. 1,400 hours in the engine. A 30 hour demo. And I've FINALLY customized my game's save/load menu scene!
    ...It's not at all what I was supposed to be doing ._. And now I have a burning desire to animate said save/load scene.
    HexMozart88
    HexMozart88
    A 30-hour demo? How long is the full game??? @.@
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Um, well, it's not done yet, so hard to say... Probably around 35 hours? Not too much left in the main plotline.
    I never planned how long the game would be; it's just whatever the story needs to be told properly :3
    watermark
    watermark
    Congratulations! It always feels great to complete a major milestone in game development. Hope things go well for your game!
    If there was an award for best game dev procrastination, I'd say 'meh, I'll pick it up tomorrow' >_>
    Honestly though, I've been staring at the same half-made map for a while now haha! Ahhh, I'm so tired of mapping!
    Trihan
    Trihan
    You should probably both respect the dedication AND wonder how my soul is still intact. In fairness, if I didn't spend so much time writing scripts and plugins and answering questions for other people I'd have way more time to work on my own projects. :p
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Then again...I often wonder how ANY of our souls are intact. Who willingly chooses a hobby that consists of math, repeated testing of the same bloody thing again and again, cursing when a simple comma breaks hundreds of lines of code...
    Well. I meant to turn that into a joke, but it stayed real ._.
    ShadowDragon
    ShadowDragon
    a comma or missing } can breaks alot, but I dont curse if something dont work,
    I mostly stay calm, alot curse a lot and than it's working again, but staying calm
    and have patience, it will work as well in a short while.

or leave, clear your head, and continue to see what is wrong :) (best approach)
    I am finally done making the 'superbosses' in my game!
    I'm happy because oh my gosh they were a lot of work, but I'm also sad because I love database work... And also because I loved making stupid powerful bosses ._.
    Finnuval
    Finnuval
    You LOVE database work? *Glances at his own project with dread* ... say Cythera... lol
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Ah yes, how could I forget the boss where the best strategy is to kill off the rest of your team in previous battles and run a one man army!
    Also, yes, Finn. I will do your database for you. But I then claim rights over combat mechanics :p
    Finnuval
    Finnuval
    Ps: joke's on you... My game doesn't have combat ROFL!
    So if a game's antagonist is the aunt to one of the main party members, would that make them the auntagonist?
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Steam page is now live!
1632768058957.png
just discovered thig game called Willowbrooke Post... beautiful artstyle if I do say so myself... does anyone know what this kind of style is called??
In one of my game projects, I am working on an arena where you can fight combatants or bet on monsters, and, man, it is taking so long, lmao. I do not think that it helps that I am using an evented combat system with a lot of things that I have to edit.
Time to take a little break from the project to work on another for Skyrim. Shouldn't take too long, as it's just fulfilling an easy to do request(more than likely I'll get beaten to the punch but...) this also gives me an excuse to play Skyrim again LOL.
Dawg.gifKhat.gif
I made two new friends today. I'm not sure which style I like the best..?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Astro123