Drakkonis
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Got distracted... again. So now I'm on project.... 5? 6? I can't even remember off the top of my head how many plugins I have in the works. Though I blame the latest two on a coding youtuber I watch occasionally. He codes in C++ but walks through the process well enough that it inspires me to do similar things for JS plugins. So... blame him for my lack of activity. lol
    Drakkonis
    Drakkonis
    True. Shame the casualty is that none of them are anywhere near done before I get sidetracked. :p
    Willibab
    Willibab
    Having fun > Getting done :)
    Drakkonis
    Drakkonis
    True enough, but the first project that got sidelined was RETRO. I do feel guilty about that, but I currently don't have the motivation to work on it, for various reasons.
    I've officially started writing down notes for my own (non-fan)game idea. Kinda excited, but I'm not sure how likely it is that it will see the light of day. I'm much better at having ideas than implementing them.
    I wonder what all goes into the plugin submission approval process? Is the code or purpose reviewed, or is it mostly just making sure the post itself follows the rules and guidelines?
    Drakkonis
    Drakkonis
    I didn't figure they'd test them, but it wouldn't surprise me if they at least looked at it to make sure it WAS a plugin and not, say, something NSFW. I was mostly just curious because it's the only forum I've posted in on this site that HAS such a process. I was curious as to what it generally entailed beyond the obvious.
    TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    When you need to present something, they are just making sure it is not a low-effort post.
    Too many people posted "hey, check out my work here" without explaining further.
    This includes forums such as game production (WIP/Complete), recruitment, tutorial, and script/plugins.
    TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    For forums that you don't need to present something such as a discussion forum or support, they don't need to approve it.
    1500 lines of code and half of that is just parameters. This thing is becoming MASSIVE. And I'm still not done even with the BASICS of what I need it to do.
    Reactions: SigmaSuccour
    TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    Oh, don't worry about that. The documentation could probably take 2000+ lines to write.
    Drakkonis
    Drakkonis
    I was trying not to think about that! Especially since I need probably as much documentation as RETRO does for this thing! lol
    Typed a long-ish reply to a post... forgot to actually HIT the post button, and moved to a different page.... finally noticed, don't remember what all I had typed and don't feel like trying to re-type it all.... smh....
    Sixth
    Sixth
    It should still have a draft saved, even if you changed pages.
    At least it did that for me the last time I checked. No idea if it's changed now or not.
    Shaz
    Shaz
    yeah, if I type something as a reply and close the page without saving, it's still there when I open the page again.
    Drakkonis
    Drakkonis
    Hm... maybe because when I checked back I used the back button? It loaded the cached page from its last load, before the post was typed. Refreshed it and the post text showed up. The post is irrelevant now, good to know my browser is capable of driving me nuts all by itself. o_O
    Oof, this "side project" of mine is starting to get as complex as a VS plugin, at least as far as plugin parameters are concerned. I think I now understand why a plugin like this doesn't already exist(that I know of). Learning a lot while trying to make it work though!
    Reactions: Celestrium
    Drakkonis
    Drakkonis
    I'm not even sure what that is, I've never heard of it. I've only ever seen VS used to refer to VisuStella, since they're practically the MZ plugin standard. I take their dominance as both a challenge and an inspiring reference. :p
    estriole
    estriole
    to answer your confusion... prior MZ VisuStella still not exist... in MV we all know the plugin as Yanfly's back in the days :D... VisuStella name only show up when MZ released... so older Rpg Maker user might think VS = Victor Sant because his animated battle scripts (from ACE) and plugins (from MV) used by quite a lot of people... :D... hope this help clear the confusion :D.
    Drakkonis
    Drakkonis
    Makes sense. I only started with MZ, my last RPG Maker before that was 2k3 back when it was still bootleg. Tried a demo of XP, didn't like it, only recently rediscovered the series.
    Writing custom JS extensions is actually kinda fun. Trying to figure out what kind of extension would be useful/desirable, on the other hand....
    Decided to take a small break from RETRO to work on other miscellaneous things I got ideas for... and I think I just started something with nearly as much complexity, even if nowhere near as important. I think I'm taking breaks wrong. lol
    If anyone were to look at certain pieces of my code they might assume I understand RegEx. I actually don't understand it in the slightest. I've tried to figure it out, it's all Greek to me. I'm just good at Googling and poking it until it works. lol
    Shaz
    Shaz
    "I'm just good at Googling and poking it until it works."

I would like to poke RegEx.
    With a sharp object.
    Repeatedly.
    Jragyn
    Jragyn
    @Drakkonis what language are ya proficient in? I come from the land of C# (but also know JS to some extent), and much of the codebase of RMMV/Z hurts my delicate feelings.

@Shaz googling and poking it until it works is basically what my company pays me to do- and there is nothing wrong with that! Do stab regex an extra time for me, though.
    • Haha
    Reactions: Shaz
    Drakkonis
    Drakkonis
    @Jragyn I wouldn't say I'm PROFICIENT... I've been out of that particular game for too long, but I first learned Visual Basic with VB6. Got my hands on VB.net 2003 and learned quite a bit of that. Tried to keep up with later versions as I felt compelled to code something, but never seriously.
    • Wow
    Reactions: Jragyn
    The next RETRO update is gonna be a beefy one. Hoping to have it out in a week or two. Massive overhaul to the way plugin commands are handled, including shortcuts for those that have complicated argument requirements. There are numerous other things too, but that's the biggest single part, and has been consuming the most time.
    Restart
    Restart
    Great! Glad you're making progress!
    Drakkonis
    Drakkonis
    lol, despite the total silence on RETRO, I've been decently hard at work on it. (Time permitting. Full time job, daughter's first birthday party coming up, plus all the parenthood challenges that come with that age, that sort of thing. If I'm lucky I get about an hour a day to work on this.)
    • Love
    Reactions: Jragyn
    MV's plugin command setup is the current bane of RETRO's existence. To a degree, so is MZ's. Especially when trying to make MV's plugin command interface play nice with MZ plugin commands with complex arguments.
    Another new RETRO milestone! 3 actually. It's reached 500 lines of code (includes whitespace and comments, so technically the actual code is still less than that), it's reached version 0.05, and there are now over 10 plugins on its known compatibility list!
    Drakkonis
    Drakkonis
    I had the idea once of adding to MV all the features that MZ added, to get the best of both worlds, but that would either make RETRO obsolete, or potentially break MV plugins on MV(which would be HILARIOUS), or potentially get me in trouble with Degica, depending on how they respond to THAT.
    Restart
    Restart
    Well, I was just thinking that since there's a stock method in MZ to play MV animations, you might be interested in trying to do the reverse
    Drakkonis
    Drakkonis
    RETRO's only scope is to allow MV to use MZ plugins. If for some reason an MZ plugin requires Effekseer capability, it MIGHT be added in, unless it's only a single plugin or something like that. I don't imagine it would come up at all, since plugins dealing with animations tend to use whatever the engine uses.
    Apparently I'm back in the boat of something behaving weirdly and I can't for the life of me figure it out, and I suspect it's something that javascript users are supposed to "KNOW", and I... don't.
    New RETRO milestone. First function addition that exists SOLELY for compatibility with a single plugin. First, but I KNOW it won't be the last. lol
    Shaz
    Shaz
    What was the plugin?
    Drakkonis
    Drakkonis
    CGMZ_InfiniteColors. It allows a ColorManager call with a color index higher than 31... but MV doesn't have ColorManager and RETRO doesn't use it unless a plugin tells it to, so I had to make the default system route through ColorManager if needed.
    Drakkonis
    Drakkonis
    I'm basically running through all of Casper's plugins (that aren't alpha/beta) since he's got a site that has them all in one place. That's just the first one I ran into that didn't crash but didn't work out of the box either. lol
    I think RETRO's hit its first real brick wall. Not insurmountable, the problem is my lack of understanding the graphical systems. But with no errors, it's extremely difficult to track down the problem. Oh well, plenty of other plugins to try to work with! I'll just have to stick this one on the back burner.
    Drakkonis
    Drakkonis
    It's CGMZ_ToastManager for the curious. Everything is set up... and no crashes... but the toast never appears. I'm chalking it up to MV and MZ differences that I can't quite track down. I suspect it's being drawn... UNDER everything else. Or just invisible for some reason.
    Restart
    Restart
    Working with FOSSIL that usually means that it's getting drawn with a width of 0
    Drakkonis
    Drakkonis
    The proper width is being passed just fine, as far as I can tell. I had some issues with it being passed as NaN early on, prompting the first and third plugin command functionality rewrites lol
    It all comes down to the pesky MZ plugin commands... the more I try to make the implementation user-friendly, the more complicated this thing becomes. Rewriting the parser for it... AGAIN. Only now I have to be able to detect and deal with structures. Cue banging my head into a wall.... o_O
    Gotta love having to put a simple function branch somewhere OTHER than where it logically should be simply because someone's core plugin wants to put stuff in weird, seemingly arbitrary locations.... and as far as I can tell, does stuff it doesn't need to do. It all looks stupidly inefficient/unnecessary and it bugs me. And makes RETRO's job just that much harder in order to make it functional.
    Reactions: Restart
    Drakkonis
    Drakkonis
    Well, the whole POINT of RETRO is to make as many MZ plugins compatible with MV as possible. Supported plugins shouldn't be based on whether or not I like their code, just whether or not I can make their code work with MV.
    Drakkonis
    Drakkonis
    And since it's someone's core plugin, if I ignore it, that means all their other plugins that depend on that core will likely be incompatible by default. It's doable... but annoying. I just have to hunt down a different spot to stick my intercept.
    Shaz
    Shaz
    ah, I didn't realise what RETRO was. Makes sense.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I couldn't help myself, so I edited the tiles a bit and made a birdhouse :LZSsmile: I hope I will finish the town today!Screenshot 2021-09-17 134349.png
How do I find the threads I have watched? It's been so long I've forgotten :kaoswt:
So far, this is how the wall tileset its looking in-editor. :kaoswt2:
1631863283853.png
Still thinking on details to add.
Added a plugin to RMMV Plugin Releases with all relevant info but it looks like the topic wasn't approved for whatever reason. Cool.
Working in the IT industry:
- "How long does it take?".
- "It takes 1 month".
- "What if we add more people to the project?".
- "It would take 2 months".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucky_Floki