Last Activity:
Jul 17, 2019 at 12:23 AM
Birthday:
Apr 9, 1987 (Age: 32)

Share This Page

Eschaton

Hack Fraud, Male, 32, from Kansas City, Missouri

Veteran

I have half a mind to make a game with no maps. No towns, no dungeons. Just battles. Maps are too much trouble to be worth it. Jun 14, 2019

Eschaton was last seen:
Jul 17, 2019 at 12:23 AM
    1. Eschaton
      Eschaton
      I have half a mind to make a game with no maps. No towns, no dungeons. Just battles. Maps are too much trouble to be worth it.
      1. Marsigne and SolonWise like this.
      2. SolonWise
        SolonWise
        That's why teamwork is so important.
        Jun 14, 2019
        Marsigne likes this.
      3. Marsigne
        Marsigne
        Maps are the dreadful!
        Jun 14, 2019
    2. Eschaton
      Eschaton
      Rain in Breath of the Wild is the bad gameplay mechanic of our time.
      1. The Stranger and Touchfuzzy like this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. Touchfuzzy
        Touchfuzzy
        Horizon: Zero Dawn is one of the few games recently that made thinking through your attack the most important part of the game.

The combat in H:ZD is possibly some of the best action gameplay of recent memory. Learning what weapons to use, enemy weakspots, what effects and damage types to use on which enemies.
        Mar 3, 2019
      4. Touchfuzzy
        Touchfuzzy
        Breath of the Wild repeats the same things over and over. Hunt seeds, hunt shrines, and the 4 beasts which all feel similar.

The only things that ever made me deviate my strategy was weapons breaking, and by endgame that wasn't even an issue anymore.
        Mar 3, 2019
      5. Eschaton
        Eschaton
        There's a fine line between strategy and frustratingly-complex button combinations to execute simple actions such as throwing a darn rock.
        Mar 3, 2019
    3. Eschaton
      Eschaton
      In Breath of the Wild, Guardians are the enemies you fear...until you get the Master Sword. Then they fear YOU. Great game design.
      1. JtheDuelist
        JtheDuelist
        They can also fear your Pot Lid.
        Feb 26, 2019
      2. Eschaton
        Eschaton
        @JtheDuelist, what I think is really cool is that if you just go to town on their legs with the Master Sword, they'll start shooting without doing their suspense-building aim sequence, firing wildly in every direction as if they're panicking.
        Feb 26, 2019
        kirbwarrior likes this.
    4. Eschaton
      Eschaton
      Hot oil splashed back up into my face when I was frying chicken. I am Two-Face, now.
      1. Sauteed_Onion likes this.
      3. Sauteed_Onion
        Sauteed_Onion
        I always thought there was something fishy about you @bgillisp !
        Feb 19, 2019
      4. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        Feb 19, 2019
        Marsigne and Sauteed_Onion like this.
      5. standardplayer
        standardplayer
        At least you didn't go full-Krueger. You'd give people nightmares -_-
        Feb 19, 2019
        Sauteed_Onion likes this.
    5. Eschaton
      Eschaton
      Kingdom Hearts III: or, How NOT To Make an Action RPG
      1. Sauteed_Onion likes this.
      3. samkfj
        samkfj
        I can't be bad--I haven't gotten the chance to play it yet. Is it really?
        Jan 31, 2019
      4. leenat40
        leenat40
        Why's it bad for you? I'm loving every moment of it.
        Jan 31, 2019
      5. Eschaton
        Eschaton
        @samkfj It ain't *that* bad. Just a lot of the same problems I had with the handheld games, I have with this one. Loose controls. Attack animations that leave you vulnerable. Success or failure determined by dice rolls. Turn-based sensibilities in an action RPG. I'm not that far, so maybe more abilities will tighten up the gameplay like in KHII, but I dunno...
        Jan 31, 2019
    6. Eschaton
      Eschaton
      It has become apparent that my desire for a battle system in which the player could chain together a bunch of skills in a single turn is...
      1. View previous comments...
      2. OmnislashXX
        OmnislashXX
        Looks like It's real.
        Jan 12, 2019
        MushroomCake28 likes this.
      3. MushroomCake28
        MushroomCake28
        The secret to only have your imagine as a limit (and hardware/software capabilities ofc) is to learn to code. I highly encourage people to learn to code, as it would solve most of their problem ("I want to do X, but there's no plugin for that specific thing")
        Jan 12, 2019
        Eschaton likes this.
      4. Eschaton
        Eschaton
        @MushroomCake28, I do appreciate the fact that constraints do force me to be creative with the plugins that are available.
        Jan 12, 2019
        MushroomCake28 likes this.
    7. Eschaton
      Eschaton
      I bought Pokemon Let's Go, and I'll tell you: the lack of random encounters improves the experience immensely compared to previous games.
    8. Eschaton
      Eschaton
      Despite all the complaints with RTP, I'm probably just going to use RTP. I'm not a graphics snob and graphics are hard...
      1. Chadz likes this.
      3. Seacliff
        Seacliff
        There's plenty of resources that complement the RTP out there. You don't need to JUST use RTP as if anything will clash with it.
        And even if you stick with RTP for sprites, they work well with a lot of different tilesets.
        Sep 7, 2018
      4. IguanaGuy
        IguanaGuy
        I don't think the provided graphics are bad - just focus on good story/gameplay and people overlook it. Look at games like Magicite and Roguelands. Very pixel plain graphics but still fun to play and popular in its time
        Sep 7, 2018
      5. Chadz
        Chadz
        The default RTP graphics are all awesome if used properly. I love using the default RTP though nowadays, I am making my own tilesets.
        Sep 7, 2018
    9. Eschaton
      Eschaton
      Do player horses/mounts have a place in 2D games?
      1. The Stranger likes this.
      3. Eschaton
        Eschaton
        I imagine they might be similar in execution to the bicycle from Pokemon.
        Sep 6, 2018
      4. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        They can do. They can be used as both a quicker way to get around and a way to overcome certain obstacles. The player could reach new areas, or even find secrets, by using the mount. You've just got to be creative, I guess.
        Sep 6, 2018
        Eschaton likes this.
      5. Eschaton
        Eschaton
        @The Stranger, the more I think about it, the more I realize that horses might not work on compact 2D maps, but on 3D maps with the space to accommodate them.
        Sep 6, 2018
    10. Eschaton
      Eschaton
      To have a job system or not to have a job system... what I want is for the player to have a lot of latitude to solve all ingame challenges.
      1. Eschaton
        Eschaton
        But I also want to make a balanced game.
        Sep 4, 2018
      2. TheoAllen
        TheoAllen
        How about making a separate game that use job system for a sake of testing how to design a game around it?
        Sep 4, 2018
    11. Eschaton
      Eschaton
      Breath of the Wild has spoiled me. Trying to play Witcher III or Horizon Zero Dawn but they're just lousy with tutorials and people talking.
      1. Benny Jackdaw likes this.
      3. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        Are you on about that part in the Witcher 3 where you can spar with that other witcher in order to learn basic combat controls? I kinda like those types of tutorial; I find them fairly immersive.
        Sep 3, 2018
      4. Eschaton
        Eschaton
        @The Stranger immersive to a point. And then the game gets stuck in its own tutorial because AAA game. And you try to start a new game and can't skip the opening cutscene.
        Sep 5, 2018
        The Stranger likes this.
      5. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        @Eschaton I really didn't like those weird cutscenes you got each time you loaded your game. Those still pictures with a voice over. They weren't very interesting and only served to annoy me; I'd rather just a silent, blank loading screen.
        Sep 5, 2018
    12. Eschaton
      Eschaton
      I can't work
      1. Marsigne and Guiguimu like this.
      2. KayZaman
        KayZaman
        *Back rub*
        Sep 2, 2018
        Marsigne and Guiguimu like this.
      3. Guiguimu
        Guiguimu
        Yes, you can! :kaopride:
        Sep 3, 2018
        Marsigne likes this.
    13. Eschaton
    14. Eschaton
      Eschaton
      I'm thinking about starting a thread in which we as a group translate game mechanics from other games into RM mechanics. Where should it go?
      2. Poryg
        Poryg
        welp, ask a mod xD
        Aug 26, 2018
      3. Kes
        Kes
        I would suggest Game Mechanics Design. The thing is, that section is meant to be engine neutral, so it couldn't be looking at the actual implementation, just the design.
        Aug 27, 2018
      4. Eschaton
        Eschaton
        @Kes, that's why I was confused. I guess I could favor MV because that's what I use.
        Aug 27, 2018
    15. Eschaton
      Eschaton
      @Frogboy, Good. Now do a timed hit plugin, lol. You're a machine.
      1. Frogboy likes this.
    16. Eschaton
      Eschaton
      Breath of the Wild is the best game of the decade. However, its writing is atrocious. There's a lot to be learned from this game.
    17. Eschaton
      Eschaton
      What did people think of the Cloisters of Trials puzzles from Final Fantasy X?
      2. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        I liked the idea of them a lot. You could take your time to complete them and didn't have to worry about battles. They were relatively simple but it was enough to keep you engaged and offer a break from the pace of battles. It gave you a task to, to feel like you were earning the summon rather than just getting it. and Going the extra mile got you secret summons and treasure to.
        Aug 23, 2018
      3. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        Disliked the idea of the addition in the remaster/international version having a super boss prevent you from going back for a couple of them. It meant people that missed something would have to grind and train excessively just to get anima/magus sisters which would help with end game fights in the first place.
        Aug 23, 2018
      4. cabfe
        cabfe
        They should have been skippable, especially the one with the auto-movement/conveyor belt. Sometimes, you don't feel like playing a puzzle game.
        Aug 24, 2018
    18. Eschaton
      Eschaton
      Beat-the-time races in RPGs can just *die*.
      1. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        I hate time trials in general. There's a reason I don't play racing games.
        Aug 23, 2018
      2. Kes
        Kes
        Yes, just simply Yes.
        Aug 23, 2018
        Eschaton and The Stranger like this.
    19. Eschaton
      Eschaton
      How would you react if you wanted to use an in-game inn and found out that there were no vacancies?
      1. Vox Novus and The Stranger like this.
      3. Eschaton
        Eschaton
        Aug 23, 2018
      4. Eschaton
        Eschaton
        @Vox Novus what I wanted to do was to have multiple options for the player to heal themselves. Inn full? Go camp out. Need to find a good place to camp? Oh, look, during your search you found a dungeon!
        Aug 23, 2018
        Philosophus Vagus and Vox Novus like this.
      5. Shaz
        Shaz
        lol - hilarious idea! Love it.
        Aug 23, 2018
    20. Eschaton
      Eschaton
      Honestly, what do people here think of games in which you "wander around and figure sh*t out" on your own? A game with minimal guidance.
      1. Frogboy likes this.
      3. XIIIthHarbinger
        XIIIthHarbinger
        I would say that it depends greatly upon the question of what they are figuring out. For example in Elder Scrolls games you largely don't know who to talk to join factions, find training, & various other things. Which forces you to interact with the world to learn where to go & what to do. But you do get a starting mission to practice basic mechanics.
        Aug 20, 2018
      4. Benny Jackdaw
        Benny Jackdaw
        I have to be honest, hand holding oftentimes annoys me greatly. I find myself playing a lot of games, having to go through a lengthy tutorial, and then end up blurting out "just let me play the game already!" Sometimes, I actually like figuring stuff out myself.
        Aug 20, 2018
      5. Frogboy
        Frogboy
        I like games like that. Plan to make one when I'm done with all my plugins.
        Aug 20, 2018
  • About

Birthday:
    Apr 9, 1987 (Age: 32)
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A