Eschaton
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Honestly, what do people here think of games in which you "wander around and figure sh*t out" on your own? A game with minimal guidance.
    Reactions: Frogboy
    XIIIthHarbinger
    XIIIthHarbinger
    I would say that it depends greatly upon the question of what they are figuring out. For example in Elder Scrolls games you largely don't know who to talk to join factions, find training, & various other things. Which forces you to interact with the world to learn where to go & what to do. But you do get a starting mission to practice basic mechanics.
    Benny Jackdaw
    Benny Jackdaw
    I have to be honest, hand holding oftentimes annoys me greatly. I find myself playing a lot of games, having to go through a lengthy tutorial, and then end up blurting out "just let me play the game already!" Sometimes, I actually like figuring stuff out myself.
    Frogboy
    Frogboy
    I like games like that. Plan to make one when I'm done with all my plugins.
    Playing Shovel Knight for the first time, and despite being a throwback, it's forcing me to talk to NPCs so I can progress...
    Just how hands-off can I be as a designer with the player? How little hand-holding can I get away with?
    Eschaton
    Eschaton
    @The Stranger (this probably ought to be a thread) I want to make an RPG the player can pick up and play. They don't need anyone talking their ear off explaining the world or the mechanics. I know the key is simplicity and making the whole world almost literally revolve around the goal.

But, I want the player to go through a small area that teaches them the basics and send them on their way.
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Yeah, I hate it when a tutorial NPC just drones on about mechanics, even if it's disguised as lore. What I've done for my game is intergrate the tutorial with the opening scene. Nothing fancy. Just a few tooltips appear explaining very basic controls and concepts when you encounter them. You can also choose to disable these tooltips if you want.
    Eschaton
    Eschaton
    @The Stranger That's what I love about some of the older games. The mechanics are simple enough that they don't need to be tutorial...ized.
    What did people think of how Breath of the Wild handled breakable weapons?
    JtheDuelist
    JtheDuelist
    Once you get the Master Sword, breakable weapons are mostly behind you (save for bows, because there isn't a unbreakable bow in the game to my knowledge).
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    Haven't played it but in general I like equipment that breaks down. I realize that puts me in a fringe minority but there's just a quality of life aspect to games like the old fallouts where you have to maintain your equipment with scavenged parts or else are forced to use new ones so long as the repair system isn't too tedious *Oblivion*cough.
    TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    I don't generally like equip durability, since it puts me into an extra micromanagement. but I like how fallout handled that.
    Now that Yanfly's CTB is unsupported, I wonder which is the best tick-based battle system.
    Milennin
    Milennin
    Haven't really found one that gets everything right, which would be understandable, considering how much time and work it takes to make one on even a basic level.
    Eschaton
    Eschaton
    There has to be an easy way to switch to "actor selects their action on their turn." Default is terrible for tactical flexibility.
    I got an itch that only Breath of the Wild can scratch.
    Mystic_Enigma
    Mystic_Enigma
    I'm kinda have the same thing, except only Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate can scratch it.
    "I wisely started with a map and made the story fit... the other way about lands one in confusions and impossibilities." -J.R.R. Tolkien
    I highly recommend Joseph Campell's Hero With A Thousand Faces. Gave me some great ideas for worldbuilding, game design, and level design.
    Reactions: Marsigne
    atoms
    atoms
    I've heard of this book before a few times by different people who were either making games at the time or writing fictional stories and they said it was a good read too! (This was long ago back in 2008-2011 however). Never read it myself though. Glad to know it helped you! :)
    [MV] Global cool down and mana to govern skills seems like too much...but I can't seem to get rid of the MP bar.

thoughts?
    I'm considering allowing the player to choose between multiple battle systems, but the idea of balancing the entire game more than once seems daunting.  Still, I think it's important to make my project as accessible as possible.
    Thalzon
    Thalzon
    I don't think that's a wise idea. Stick to one battle system, and let it be the one that is the best fit for your game world and scenario.
    You know the old saying about the hunter who chases two rabbits, right?
    Eschaton
    Eschaton
    I don't know that saying, but I understand.
    Using mechanics as a metaphor as a means of conveyance of your story - I'm all for that. BUT, anything that make the player wait - especially in uncertainty...just don't do it.
    Would you play a game that takes place in Hell?
    EternalShadow
    EternalShadow
    I technically made a game that took place in hell, but it wasn't a place of eternal suffering xD
    AwesomeCool
    AwesomeCool
    Most games in that setting do not try and fit in the setting well at all (if they are trying to go for anything close to how it is depicted in reality). Most games just create a new afterlife with totally different lore and call it Heaven and Hell (although they show no to very little similarities with how the real Heaven and Hell are depicted).

So it depends if you go for a more accurate description to how Hell is portrayed (and nail it well) or go for a more fantasy style repres...
    AwesomeCool
    AwesomeCool
    ...representation.
    God, I feel like Bane broke my back.
    Eschaton
    Eschaton
    For dudes, they're called "girdles."
    Sharm
    Sharm
    Every crazy clothing thing was worn by guys first, but they were smart and realized it was stupid and stopped wearing them, and girls thought "that's cool" and are *still* wearing them.
    Sharm
    Sharm
    Girls fashion may be more diverse but guys fashion is less dangerous.
    Am I the only one that feels like a luck-based challenge isn't legitimate? Like, if you are attempting a low level run, but have to rely on the luck of critical a (or lack thereof) in order to get through?
    Vox Novus
    Vox Novus
    Yeah when it comes to stuff like that it should be about how accurate and precise you use available strategies. Although critical hits could be made a strategy if you give ways for the player to trigger them more often based on character strategies. Don't like the normal luck part of it though.
    Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Yeah. Not a fan of luck, but I like the idea of letting the player increase their critical rate with gear and skills.
    NeoFantasy
    NeoFantasy
    I rather like the randomness of critical hits, if they're too common the player can abuse them looking at you fe:13 but other than that I agree with you. I mostly tend to stay away from those types of min-games/ challenges in rpgs.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

um... why didn't anyone tell how easy it is to add motions to Sideview battlers? I literally copied the last one, changed the name and index, said where it should play, and boom... I've got intro motions.
Lately when I listen to 1970s songs, I always think that the "real world" is still at mid 70s. What we experience now is a futuristic dream. With this point of view, even 80s and 90s looks super futuristic. :D

The GIF of this seemed too cool to bury in replies. :LZSwink:
You may have slept with my aunt... but, given the circumstances, cheers.

- Professor Ian Duncan, 2013

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RikuTales