Eschaton
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• The original FFVII seems to be a play-once-a-decade game for me, but it really bugs me how short a window you have for some events and items. Don't do that in your games, folks.
    Kes
    Kes
    Agreed. I don't mind one or two time limited side quests, as long as there is a reasonable opportunity to collect it. Other than that, don't do it.
    Bribolox
    Bribolox
    It's called "a challenge."
    Stapleton
    Stapleton
    Ch...Cha... Challenge?? But I am allergic! Just the thought of it, makes me sooo scared...
    I love being "underleveled," having less-than-optimal-equipment because I don't grind for it and STILL whipping a boss due to strategy.
    hiromu656
    hiromu656
    same
    Milennin
    Milennin
    A good RPG lets you succeed by playing strategically well. A bad RPG only takes in account player gear and levels.
    So, in FFVII, both forms of Sephiroth get stronger for every level 99 character you have. What do you think of games for penalizing the player for preparing too much?
    Palsa
    Palsa
    You could limit the amount of items a player can hold, in Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana, you could only have up to 9 of each item, which made the fight difficult even after leveling the characters.
    Palsa
    Palsa
    It was kind of strange though, since the Atelier series is specifically about item synthesis.

Mana Khemia used a different approach to leveling, instead you gained points from fights, while synthesizing items added skills to your grow book, which you could purchase with the points gained from fighting.

It basically forced the player to level in all fields, otherwise it would be impossible to move forward.
    Ronove
    Ronove
    It's not breaking your game if they use what you put into the game to their advantage. You don't want them to grind? Don't allow them to.
    I want to make a game in which what the player does outside of battle on the map is just as important as what they do in battle.
    What do you all think of rewarding the player for never entering shops?
    Artificer
    Artificer
    The goal of shops is to buy items that helps the player to progress, your idea is more like give him extra points for no need help but the shops still needs to be there
    stupid enough to like FF13
    If anything, you should probably inform the player of this before they have a chance to enter a shop...
    Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Just create a Hellish difficulty mode where all shops are closed. So those players that want to try this challenge can do so from the start of the game.
    I don't want to make a game. If you want, I'll write for you or design your mechanics. I just don't have it in me to do a whole thing.
    Bastrophian
    Bastrophian
    Ehh...i would like to oneday make a game....but i mostly like making resources. :<
    NPC
    NPC
    I'll work hard enough for the both of you then! > :)
    Are big, tentacled, monstrous, world-destroying final bosses done to death?
    stupid enough to like FF13
    Monstrous tentacled one-winged Bishonen is obviously what you should go for.

Oh, and give him 17 different forms.
    Lord of Doom
    Lord of Doom
    A lot of things have been done to death. The whole "world-ending abomination" thing is one of those things. Although, I haven't seen many final bosses with tentacles, mid-game bosses yes, final bosses not so much. Maybe tentacles aren't threatening enough for most final bosses?
    NPC
    NPC
    It's usually the 75%, just beat the water temple boss.
    "Title: subtitle" titles are getting kinda old.
    Dickjutsu
    Dickjutsu
    For our last two projects, which were set in 1930s America followed a noir-movie style; including titles:

In Over Their Heads and it's prequel A Desperate Mother's Love.
    Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    RPG Maker Web: The Forum: The Game: The Movie: Descent into Absurdity: The Book
    Vox Novus
    Vox Novus
    @Touchfuzzy Sounds like a wacky title you might see for the Ghost in the Shell anime.
    My roommate'so brother is playing some shooter jRPG and every time I look at his screen, he's navigating a menu. Are menus so intrinsic to the RPG experience, or are they a weakness to the genre? Can a game's menus be streamlined without "dumbing it down?"
    L.W. Flouisa
    L.W. Flouisa
    I have mixed feelings about menus, I know it can either really work or really fail.
    _Shadow_
    _Shadow_
    It depends. If you HAVE to spend A LOT of time there, it is bad, especially on atmospheric games. On the other hand, being optional and helpful makes them really addictive. It depends. What does this person do to these menus? Interesting stuff. Can you make an interesting system? If so, menus might be entertaining.
    optimum45
    optimum45
    If it's tedious menu navigation for the sake of it, I'd say that's a no-no. However, if he's "fine tuning" or whatnot, that's a good thing.
    One of these days, I'm going to play a game that allows me to play it after selecting "new game." In writing, you "show, don't tell," and games take t a step further with "play, don't show."
    This is going to sound strange...and maybe jingoist. But, could someone with Type 1 diabetes and a strong command of the English language PM me?
    Eschaton
    Eschaton
    It's for research on my project...
    Trihan
    Trihan
    I have a strong command of the English language and have a sister-in-law with diabetes, if that helps!
    I was playing an old-school JRPG the other day and I realized something: as player, I was extremely discouraged from exploring because of all the random encounters attriting my resources.
    My problem with teams is that a) I don't have the credibility to lead one and, B) I don't have the credibility to join one.
    bgillisp
    bgillisp
    I'd say optimum45 summed it up well there. I outsourced my artists and musician, and I'm the mapper and storyteller and eventer, and dabble in scripting (but usually outsource that). So it feels about right.
    Eschaton
    Eschaton
    Yeah, but those guys don't work for free.
    Simon D. Aelsi
    Simon D. Aelsi
    They can and often we do. Some of us are willing to lend some of our services for free because we want to become known. Garner an audience. Rapport. Just like you do!
    Tell me if these difficulty level names are alienating at all: "Narrative," "Baseline," "Veteran," "Insanity."
    Eschaton
    Eschaton
    Remember how easy Final Fantasy IV EasyType was?

That is what I'd want for "Narrative."
    Wavelength
    Wavelength
    I personally like when the difficulty levels, if they're named, follow a consistent theme. For example, if "Veteran" is the hard mode, "Scout" would be the easy mode and "Captain" would be the extreme mode. Likewise, if "Insanity" is the extreme mode, "Mania" and "Courage" might be the hard and normal modes.
    Eschaton
    Eschaton
    Hm...again, something to think about.
    Why is blood type - of all things - included in character bios in anime and JRPGs but never relevant to the plot?
    Geoff Moore
    Geoff Moore
    Because in the original Final Fantasy (for the Vectrex) when a party member was defeated the only way to revive them was with a blood transfusion from a compatible party member. This was replaced with Phoenix Down in subsequent games because people thought it was weird.
    Eschaton
    Eschaton
    The original Final Fantasy was for the Famicom/NES and later ported to the MSX and everything else. Phoenix Downs weren't introduced until the Famicom/NES version of Final Fantasy III.

Good try, tho.
    Eschaton
    Eschaton
    @iavra - so, it's a WJT.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

um... why didn't anyone tell how easy it is to add motions to Sideview battlers? I literally copied the last one, changed the name and index, said where it should play, and boom... I've got intro motions.
Lately when I listen to 1970s songs, I always think that the "real world" is still at mid 70s. What we experience now is a futuristic dream. With this point of view, even 80s and 90s looks super futuristic. :D

The GIF of this seemed too cool to bury in replies. :LZSwink:
You may have slept with my aunt... but, given the circumstances, cheers.

- Professor Ian Duncan, 2013

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuraudo123