Eschaton
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• I'm trying very hard to be a good critic, but I can't...say anything good about some of these demos. And that makes me feel like a bad person.
    bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Post it like we did during the review event (some good and some suggestions for improvement).
    mlogan
    mlogan
    No, please don't make up things. If you really cannot find anything - not one tiny thing - good, maybe just address a few of the biggest issues and leave it at that?
    Eschaton
    Eschaton
    Some of the issues are pretty common: over-reliance on text, under-reliance on graphics and sound, LONG INTROS.

Games need to stop trying to sell me on their story and start selling me on their gameplay.

COPY+PASTE, lol
    Eschatons's Writing tips: if your plot and/or plot elements feel disjointed, come up with a common THEME to unify them.
    What are peoples' thoughts on minimalist storytelling in RPGs? Using character movements, environments, and gameplay mechanics to convey narrative while using text boxes as a last resort? Thoughts?
    Dark Horseman
    Dark Horseman
    Very hard for RPG-medium because of how simple the system is. RPGs were pretty much designed to tell a story through dialogue and menus; telling a story through gameplay is much better oriented through adventure, side-scrolling, and building games.
    Mihel
    Mihel
    It's ok if you're not telling a story. Yume Nikki comes to mind.
    Soul
    Soul
    I've enjoyed it in games like FF6, though they used sprites to also show emotions a character was having. The baloons and using the jump command, along with being able to change faces in the text box go a long way to help with minimalistic story-telling too. I mean, you could always go the route of making it seem like a book - constantly describing with words what's going on. It gets tedious, but if you write well enough, it's worth it.
    What do people think of the mechanic in which ?
    Vox Novus
    Vox Novus
    I'd rather it be the opposite, higher hp more chance of status ailments. You can say that the adrenaline rush from being so close to death allows them to ignore certain effects on their body.
    Soul
    Soul
    I like your idea, and it makes sense. The weaker our bodies are, the more susceptible we become to disease (among other things). Makes the game a bit more realistic.
    Shaz
    Shaz
    That sounds remarkably like a Game Mechanics Design thread ;)
    I really wish people would stop using apostrophes in their plurals. It's supposed to denote ownership. Except in the case of "its." Man, English can be confusing...
    Geoff Moore
    Geoff Moore
    There's a store near me with a big glossy professional looking printed sign advertising their 'colour phototocopying' services. :)
    Omega Weapon
    Omega Weapon
    Well... It's kinda confusing sometimes if that IS how you denote the plural at times in your first language.
    Eschaton
    Eschaton
    I'm an American. English is my ONLY language.
    I'm thinking of having my project's highest difficulty setting leave the player vulnerable to one-hit kills from all mobs. Thoughts?
    optimum45
    optimum45
    In a case like that, something like Final Fantasy 8's trigger mechanic would be nice, so you can actually have some control over it. Could be an interesting concept if pulled off correctly, but when you're playing with "Godlike Powers", instant kill being one, remember that it's easy to make the player feel "cheated" instead of "challenged".
    bgillisp
    bgillisp
    You could do it like Doom's Nightmare mode, with a warning that this mode isn't even remotely fair. Give them some warning what they are getting into though.

As for one hit kills, if you are going that route, I'd suggest making sure the player can get resistant to them too, like Persona 3 and 4 does. That way they can plan for them at least.
    Simon D. Aelsi
    Simon D. Aelsi
    @Ksi I think that's kinda the point. :p ROFL
    If I wanted to make a game with a focus on exploration and socializing with in-game NPCs, what games are recommended I olay for research?
    EternalShadow
    EternalShadow
    The Witcher 2 (little bit linear tho maybe?), TES 4: Oblivion (more engaging than Skyrim) and maybe a couple of visual novels?
    EternalShadow
    EternalShadow
    Actually, just go play The Witcher 3 or TES 4.
    Matseb2611
    Matseb2611
    Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is good in that regard. It was one of the only few RPGs where I found putting points in social skills to actually be useful.
    I'm willing to pay $300 USD for a completely custom battle system. If I get people who have time and interest to respond, I will post an official request.
    I throw in Golden Sun for some nostalgiaz and start a new game. Oh I forgot it's a JRPG, which means it has a long and unskippable intro...
    Thalzon
    Thalzon
    *spends 20 minutes emoting and bobbing about*
    That is, like...the struggle of our generation, isn't it? Trying to balance firearms with melee weapons.
    I'm thinking that for my project, I would just eschew overworld travel in favor of giving the player access to the global airship pretty much from the beginning. Thoughts?
    rondchild
    rondchild
    Its ok, provided in accordance with the concept of the story you made.
    EternalShadow
    EternalShadow
    FF3 did something similar halfway through, and yet the game was still only half-explorable!
    Kes
    Kes
    Unless you have compelling reasons for walking an overworld map, I see nothing against an airship from the get go. A bit of extra work blocking access to some places

perhaps until the right time (if that's what's required). But that's not much.
    Am I the only one who thinks that a defensive skill that raises DEF as well as TGR might just defeat the whole purpose of the skill? Yes, that actor can take more hits,but because of the high TGR, they will be taking more damage anyway. Am I alone in this line of thinking?
    Nirwanda
    Nirwanda
    That's kind of the point of giving a tank character such a skill. In action rpgs the tank just has to stand in front of everyone to draw enemies, but in classic turn based games there has to be other ways (like this one) to make a tank character relevant.
    Eschaton
    Eschaton
    I suppose for the defense bonus to be worth anything, it should be high.
    Fernyfer775
    Fernyfer775
    In my game, there are Tank pets who can reduce as much as 40% of incoming damage when they use their buffs, and they have about 25-30% more HP than the other pets. If you do it right, abilities that raise TGR and DEF can be quite effective.
    What do you think of me setting up my game system so that actors can NEVER reach the damage cap without cheating or ridiculous min-maxing?
    Sieginder Niederlage
    Sieginder Niederlage
    NO! They'll take that as a challenge!

Although that's nice.
    bgillisp
    bgillisp
    I have most of my stats at half the cap unless you use buffs myself.
    Shaz
    Shaz
    Sounds like a game development question to me, and we all know where those belong ;)
    What are peoples' thoughts on crafting system? I - for one - am a bit tired of seeing them.
    Kes
    Kes
    I'm in the minority who have never really enjoyed crafting systems in games. The ones I have come across seem to be just a way of padding the game play time. And crafting something that requires a rare drop and it takes 30-40 battles minimum to get it, nope, life's too short.
    Shaz
    Shaz
    I have recipes, which I suppose would be similar, and players enjoyed them in the previous Aveyond games we made. I was playing a completely different game the other day, and it occurred to me during one of my many "why can't I just sleep" periods that night that a somewhat modified version of a mechanic in that game would make a great minigame for my recipes. Now I have the job of implementing it - will be one of my most complex scripts - and adding an option so players can use...
    Shaz
    Shaz
    either the minigame or the menu version, as I don't want to force them to play the minigame each time they want to make something.
    RPG Maker for iPad would be a serious "shut up and take my money" moment, especially if there is compatibility with other platforms for projects.
    Warpmind
    Warpmind
    Do you mean "making the games on iPad", or "exporting the games to run on iPad"?

Because if the latter, that'd be awesome, while if the former, that'd be, ehh... for starters, the keyboard on the iPad would really work against the engine, I fear... :p
    Zeriab
    Zeriab
    Perhaps you can stream it through Steam. It does require you to have a Windows machine running with Steam open, but it might work.

I just tried it on my Surface 3 Pro, but that is different.
    All I think when I see anything new released about Final Fantasy XIV is that the East might actually be catching back up with the West in terms of game quality.
    Coming up with classes for a Western is hard.
    Jesse - PVGames
    Jesse - PVGames
    There are quite a few: Gunslinger, Desperado, Lawman, Sheriff, Mercenary, Soldier (or Ex-Soldier), Demolitionist, Prospector, Doctor/Surgeon, Snake Oil Peddler, Dentist (Django Unchained reference here), Priest/Nun, Bandit - these were just off the top of my head.
    Eschaton
    Eschaton
    There won't be a Mexico or Africa. It's a fantasy setting culturally comparable to the Old Western United States. Also; every character will have Latin names and the plot is a rough, broad strokes retelling of the Third Servile War in Ancient Rome.
    *sigh* Why can't I just post a picture from my computer? Why does it need to be on the cloud? *grumble*
    Seacliff
    Seacliff
    try using this:: postimage.org

Saves cloud storage space and works decent enough.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A recent screenshot that I also shared on Reddit and the likes, links in my signature if you want to follow :)

I am starting to get a hang of this parallaxing mapping business. Still inexperienced, but at least I can be a lot more creative now :)
Catching up on some anime I never finished . . . "This Day × And × This Moment" . . . first time I shed a tear watching something.
oh frisk i wont be able to jog for at least 2 weeks ;-; its like a nightmare
It was my birthday yesterday woooo /) ~ 3 ~)/)~~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylphia