EternalShadow
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• I see where FF13 got its inspiration from... Shining Force :| (KO if party leader dies, but in SF it just takes you back to the last town with no penalty)
    Do you ever have those moments when making a trilogy of games (or similar) and then go back to look over them many years/months later and realise something in an early episode contradicts one of the later ones? :|
    Alexander Amnell
    Alexander Amnell
    That's why trilogies need to avoid giving player's choices, the third dragon age, no matter how good a game it might be just makes me mad every time I play it and a character is retconned back to life or a character that made a decision to stay with her family in the first one suddenly becomes vindictive and makes the other choice just because the new game requires that she do that even though the old one allows for 'choices' on the matter.
    Milennin
    Milennin
    That's why I prefer making character driven stories instead of plot driven stories. Much less risk of falling into plot holes.
    Brackev
    Brackev
    Blame a wizard.
    monster encounters in RPGs are so unrealistic... you could literally be facing a thousand times more enemies than would really be in the area at any one time, unless you're in a savannah or something...
    bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Or they can attack you one square away from a townsperson you just spoke to *cough FFX cough*
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    I've always tried to justify the monsters' populations in game as "well, they breed fairly fast, so there's a lot of other stuff to munch, including people. People are bottom of the food chain here." Or, I just outright tell you that the whole thing is a "fantasy" created for you, so yeah, monsters are numerous.

At least, that's what I did in Second Shoreline.
    Chaos Avian
    Chaos Avian
    I prefer to make my monster populations more realistic with the terrain also. Easier to achieve with random encounters :3
    So I had another super weird dream last night, but it was based around a game. Essentially, there was a world map like in Trauma Center (not enough space to explain in status, google it) and the exploration in-map was traditional rpg fare, but there was a huge focus on characters and gameplay, with one of the action sequences being running from a building and forgetting shoes... o.0
    Currently brainstorming a story for my game with RM MV... One can only take so much critical thinking with dev :p
    Marsigne
    Marsigne
    Hey, do you know of a good link that explains brainstorming and things about it? I've searched in google but I think they're not game-development specific enogh xD maybe it sounds stupid but ye... xD something as good as your "The Secrets of Game Design" would be awesome :D
    So I bought (rebought :p ) the FF12 guide - I am shocked at how much lategame content there actually is. I remember there being far less, but it turns out I probably played less than half the game all those years ago, even tho I finished the MQ!
    So I was wondering how 12 managed to be so long, and the secret isn't in the (insanely complex) story, as the story is actually rather short, just with lots of cutscenes. The true length is in the gameplay, travelling and sidequests!
    BeardBro
    BeardBro
    If you're talking about FF 12... I loved that game! I got to the last dungeon in 150 or so hours, and spend the next 50 hours hunting for those dayum ribbons and Damascus steel. I enjoyed every second of it!
    Had a very interesting dream... One thing I really liked in it were the aspect of spellbooks that allowed you to cast one spell of either level 1, 2 or 3. These books were hidden about the place (in my case an obstacle course in a building) and there was a bad guy to beat o_o
    Random thought came to me: why do battlers in Anime/Manga shout out their moves?
    Schlangan
    Schlangan
    Also, sometimes Words are power. By pronouncing the right words you increase the power. It also appears as knowing the right name for something.
    NPC
    NPC
    It's also a very Japanese/Eastern thing. In Western media, outside of homages, it's not really seen that often. I'm guessing it mostly originated from Dragonball?
    Chiakscare
    Chiakscare
    According to Bleach, a technique is like a million times stronger when you know it's name, and i suppose the same is true for when you say it, as opposed to when you don't.
    Playing FF12 again, I can see how some would think it to be quite bland so to speak: it doesn't have much diversity beyond combat in the first few hours, but I loved the combat anyway personally so that never bothered me. The story's also a bit patched together, but I never cared :p - Basch was originally the main char!
    Uzuki
    Uzuki
    Actually, Ashe was. I think Basch was going to be the tutorial character and joins the party later, but Focus Groups said that a teenager that applies to girls and doesn't add anything to the plot would be a better seller.
    PixelHeart
    PixelHeart
    Let's be honest...she still is. The whole story revolves around her struggle to legitimize her hairship, in a way that will restore her kingdom with minimal bloodshed, and will insure her freedom from the accuria ....as much as vaan is advertised as the lead character he very little to do with ANYTHING.
    EternalShadow
    EternalShadow
    @Uz: I haven't heard that one before...? It must've been between Ashe and Basch: Basch was originally the main char before they felt they had to add a younger protag to appeal to the younger audience.

But TBH if you lose Vaan's role in the story, you actually lose a good 4 hours at least of gameplay!
    I'm almost positive Celestian Tales was made with RM...
    Hudell
    Hudell
    That Unity Map Editor is improving faster than I expected it to.
    EternalShadow
    EternalShadow
    But the menus look the same as RM menus too, just as if they've had a dose of luna engine applied to them... But hey geez, Mack :p
    richter_h
    richter_h
    In its Steam and KS page there are some comments regarding the sprites. Not so Mack, but it's close to RO-styled sprites, and sadly, watered down. :/

I hope there will be some improvement in later patches, but well I can only hope for that.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Please don't create long, boring cutscenes in which characters do nothing but stand around talking.
What if I took a lesson from Half Minute Hero? Let the player get dumb powerful each area, but reset them down to just slightly stronger than before for the next map?
Been averaging 2-3 hours sleep for almost a month now. Starting to space out all the time ^^;
loopk wrote on whtdragon's profile.
Nice to meet you. My name is loopk.
May I use the materials distributed here for adult games for sale?

Thank you in advance.
loopk wrote on Avery's profile.
Nice to meet you. My name is loopk.
May I use the materials distributed here for adult games for sale?

Thank you in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MHFran44