Evan G.
Last Activity:
May 20, 2014

Share This Page

Evan G.

Veteran

Veteran

I just realized... when people talk in Zelda games, their mouths don't move... and this looks totally natural, somehow. Dec 21, 2012

Evan G. was last seen:
May 20, 2014
    1. Evan G.
      Evan G.
      I just realized... when people talk in Zelda games, their mouths don't move... and this looks totally natural, somehow.
      1. View previous comments...
      2. regigliak
        regigliak
        Telepathy duh. . .
        Dec 21, 2012
      3. regigliak
        regigliak
        thats how your mouth moves when you text to talk, LoZ people are always on Facebook
        Dec 21, 2012
      4. hyde9318
        hyde9318
        Funny thing is, in Dragon's Dogma, their mouths move but dont match the words. So, point here is this... Mouth not moving with words coming out is much better than the mouth moving, but not matching.
        Dec 21, 2012
    2. Evan G.
      Evan G.
      Can't get over how powerful Atelier Rorona's battle themes are. I think it's something about the fact that they're don't sound all that serious.
    3. Evan G.
      Evan G.
      Preparing to do reference sheets for 3D models...
    4. Evan G.
      Evan G.
      So, I decided not to kill off Gene because keeping him around allows Casmir to struggle with choosing between loving him and being the strong person he knows he wants to be. The dynamic was too good to pass up and I thought it would be boring to have the story make anybody's choices for them.
      1. Evan G.
        Evan G.
        I should probably be starting an external devblog, now that I think about it.
        Sep 23, 2012
    5. Evan G.
      Evan G.
      I decided to finish the storyboard, then decide whether I'll be using Isometric or true 3D. On a side note, that muscle study I talked about yesterday was so very, very useful.
    6. Evan G.
      Evan G.
      Do I use pre-rendered backgrounds, handdrawn ones, or actual 3D? Decisions...
      1. Clareain_Christopher
        Clareain_Christopher
        Which one takes less MB and is easier to make?
        Sep 10, 2012
      2. Espon
        Espon
        Pre-rendered 3D handrawn maps.
        Sep 10, 2012
    7. Evan G.
      Evan G.
      Working on muscle study, and probably learning Python later.
    8. Evan G.
      Evan G.
      1. Evan G.
        Evan G.
        And... yeah, I forgot to mention that it was made in RPGMXP.
        Sep 8, 2012
      2. Lunarea
        Lunarea
        It's been a long time in the making, now. I've heard of it, and seen a few videos. :)
        Sep 8, 2012
      3. Evan G.
        Evan G.
        They put so much effort into it, but the end result is that it didn't seem to sell well. It had some amazing character designs, too.
        Sep 9, 2012
    9. Evan G.
      Evan G.
      Story is done. Storyboards come next, then resource creation, then the engine, then putting everything together.
      2. Thalzon
        Thalzon
        I'd expect it to be about $15. I've paid more for less.
        Sep 8, 2012
      3. Evan G.
        Evan G.
        I was thinking $6, since I don't expect people to pay much for something that they have no expectations for. There will be a demo, of course, but it'll only serve as a "try before you buy" sort of thing and not an early beta release.
        Sep 8, 2012
      4. Zeramae
        Zeramae
        Unless the game is of lesser quality I wouldn't go under $11.99

This is because people will assume it's bad otherwise. If it was 10 hours the price would scale down to about $9.99 In other words, don't sell yourself short unless you have no confidence in your ability.
        Sep 8, 2012
    10. Evan G.
      Evan G.
      Finished all of the design work that I needed to do. Fullbody sketches come next.
    11. Evan G.
      1. Jalen
        Jalen
        ...Hrm I put up a comment but it doesn't look like it went, haha. I like the first design, but I like the markings on the head in the second one better. Is there any way to combine them? And what do you use to color these, by the way?
        Sep 3, 2012
      2. Evan G.
        Evan G.
        I do the shading in greyscale after the linework using MyPaint, then I use the Color brush function in GIMP, followed by the Burn brush function using a very light grey over the whole image.

The first design will probably have tattoos added later.
        Sep 3, 2012
      3. Clareain_Christopher
        Clareain_Christopher
        I like the first one a lot.
        Sep 3, 2012
    12. Evan G.
      Evan G.
      1. Evan G.
        Evan G.
        Decided not to use this design for the person it was intended for. Maybe I'll use it for something else, though.
        Sep 3, 2012
    13. Evan G.
      Evan G.
      So, now that I've learned of another open-source RPG creation tool that defaultly supports parallaxes, isometric movement, video playback, and action battle systems, I might be flyin' away from here pretty soon. (It's some magical coincidence that said engine just started being updated for the first time in 7 years a few months before I found it.)
      1. Evan G.
        Evan G.
        And by defaultly, I mean "with knowledge of the engine's programming language" which I already have from working with a similar system.
        Sep 1, 2012
    14. Evan G.
      Evan G.
      Is it just me, or is the only difference between Early Project Feedback and Project Development 75 words in the game description? I think there should be more distinguishing characteristics between them.
      2. Archeia
        Archeia
        I am an evil person :D

It's to encourage people to at least attempt to map certain areas or show off battle concepts haha
        Sep 1, 2012
      3. Archeia
        Archeia
        But no they're not really necessary, if you check other project threads, some of them don't have screens.
        Sep 1, 2012
      4. Evan G.
        Evan G.
        Oh, you! Maybe I should post an Early Project Feedback thread...
        Sep 1, 2012
    15. Evan G.
      Evan G.
      You obtained Scripting Knowledge!
      1. Emzie
        Emzie
        Yeah sure, but you need to make tons of script to prove yourself as a scripter.
        Aug 31, 2012
      2. Evan G.
        Evan G.
        I only bothered learning it for five scripts for one project, though, so it's not like I'm going to be posting helpful scripts all around the forum or anything now.
        Aug 31, 2012
      3. RyanA
        RyanA
        Grats!
        Aug 31, 2012
    16. Evan G.
      Evan G.
      Following Main's trail to learn more about RGSS3. Main runs SceneManager, which initializes Game_Data...
    17. Evan G.
      Evan G.
      I'm at that point in scripting where editing the default RGSS3 scripts is easy, but making my own modules and classes feels like jumping off a bridge. I should probably practice editing more complex scripts...
    18. Evan G.
      Evan G.
      I'm wondering if there's some way to use the second animation set in the animation editor to define battle hitboxes, because I'm using the Animation editor for battle animations already.
      1. Lone Wolf
        Lone Wolf
        Oh, there's definitely a way. But that wasn't your question, so I'm not telling how.
        Aug 31, 2012
      2. Evan G.
        Evan G.
        How logical of you!
        Aug 31, 2012
    19. Evan G.
      Evan G.
      In the process of trying to script a system that converts image data into collision and hitbox data. All collision maps and hitboxes are read from the "hitboxes" folder and converted when you start the game and a map/event/player's default collision data is applied to them using comments. Battle actions can change your hitbox to another one, but I'm having trouble thinking of how to make hitboxes move and scale.
      1. Acetonide
        Acetonide
        This sounds awesome. o.o; I have no suggestions, but I wish you luck.
        Aug 31, 2012
      2. Lone Wolf
        Lone Wolf
        Have each event keep a pointer to it's current hitbox, and make collision checks pull relative coordinates from the hitbox image. After that, scaling is just an extra bit of division when checking relative coordinates.
        Aug 31, 2012
      3. Evan G.
        Evan G.
        "Collision," by the way, is defined in this system as at least one pixel of a hitbox overlapping with another pixel from a different hitbox that isn't being applied to the same actor.
        Aug 31, 2012
    20. Evan G.
      Evan G.
      Trying to think of some way to use scripting to convert image data into precise hitboxes.
      1. Evan G.
        Evan G.
        If I can figure out some way to do it, I'll save myself the trouble of having to use Map IDs to control passability by just defining room boundaries as hitboxes and changing the way player movement works.
        Aug 30, 2012
      2. Evan G.
        Evan G.
        I'm thinking of using blue to represent passive hitboxes (ones that can't attack, but can be attacked), red for active hitboxes (ones that can attack and be attacked. Priority determines the winner if both happen at the same time), and green for walls on maps.
        Aug 30, 2012
  • About

First Language:
    English