Recent content by Failivrin

1. Failivrin

Can an enemy that deals no damage be interesting?

@Wavelength mentioned enemies who do nothing but can OHKO if you don't take them out quickly. The tonberries in Final Fantasy are a good example, and they became a franchise classic--so this concept is definitely not boring to players. I'm also thinking about a boss in Gravity Rush that would...
  2. Failivrin

RMMV Alien Holiday

Very unique premise for an RPG. Looks like fun!
  3. Failivrin

Plugin Maker thread : what's your plan for RM MZ?

Not a plugin maker, but my suggestion would be to cover basic features first. Personally, I would like a menu editor, and I would like that menu editor to include an option to change screen resolution. Also I'd be interested in touch controls for mobile, assuming MZ doesn't make improvements on...
  4. Failivrin

RPG Maker MZ, Preview #2: Graphics, Mapping, Eventing!

First, THANK YOU whoever made the decision not to change the 48x48 tiles so I can finish my half-finished MV project in MZ. But do I want to...? It may be too early to get information about this, but have they made any improvements regarding the ease or functionality of mobile deployment? Are...
  5. Failivrin

How do you implement a newspaper system in your world?

Crisis Core had a system in which the player gets text message alerts, and the messages can be read in the menu. The main problem was that although the messages were nothing but filler, you had to check them or the stupid mail icon would stay on your screen indefinitely. Otherwise I haven't...
  6. Failivrin

Dungeon Puzzle Design

I guess you could say it's a puzzle game with RPG elements? Or an RPG minus combat? The player navigates fantasy worlds and faces monsters, but the monsters are just parts of the puzzles. Puzzles are mostly basic physics and logic but each one requires some additional cognitive or perceptive...
  7. Failivrin

Dungeon Puzzle Design

Hmmm... This discussion is making me want to replay Golden Sun. The games are so old now, I can't remember enough for a more detailed analysis. Unfortunately, I haven't found any RPGs like Golden Sun either. Those games perfectly integrated two genres. I never felt like the puzzles detracted...
  8. Failivrin

Dungeon Puzzle Design

I'm making a puzzle game, so this subject is close to my heart. @staf00 mentioned Pokemon and Golden Sun. There are some big mechanical differences between these games. I've noticed that in the forums people usually mention "Pokemon" when explaining why they hate puzzles. It's unfair to judge...
  9. Failivrin

Why are "School" stories so popular?

I agree with @RachelCantFocus . In modern societies, it's pretty much mandatory to spend most of your young life in school. And school is tremendously boring, especially compared to the adventures kids used to have. I'm thinking for example about my home in Thailand, where kids used to hunt in...
  10. Failivrin

How Much Backstory Should I Include and how far you go back?

My current project is based on fairy tales. Because they're "timeless" fairy tales have no back story. But I still provide a lot of visual and narrative hints that players can use to imagine their own backstory. That is, I think, the goal of backstory: It should mostly be provided by the...
  11. Failivrin

Day/Night Cycle Design

I think it would be important to give the player limited control of the time system. Tents and inns to skip nighttime are good ideas, but I would also want an item or ability to skip daytime. It would also be fun to see NPCs who change completely at night; for example, a town where the...
  12. Failivrin

Does gender changes when changing classes bother you?

You can change genders all you want but it needs to feel natural. Changing gender when changing jobs definitely doesn't feel natural. Adding race into the bargain feels even less natural, at least to me. Like @Aesica suggested, it could be construed as developer laziness. Totally changing the...
  13. Failivrin

Obscure Secrets (aka "How the Heck was I supposed to figure that out?!")

@Ragpuppy87 You forgot the part where you have to stand on your head and rub a chicken leg on the B button to make Yufi join your party. Haha, seriously though, I would strongly discourage indie devs from implementing such secrets. Yes, I do think a major incentive behind them was to sell...
  14. Failivrin

Definitive choices, and first try actions

In my opinion, very few single choices should be permanent. It's better if choices contribute to stats. Not physical stats but character stats. For example, you do something that Jerry doesn't like. You get a -1 Jerry stat. You insult Jerry in front of his boss. -5 from the Jerry stat. You do a...
  15. Failivrin

Suggestions on skill learning

A very unusual but satisfying method I've only seen in one game: Jeanne D'Arc had a skill crafting system. Works basically like crafting equipment. Take two skills you don't want and fuse them together to create a new skill. Skills could then be equipped just like accessories. You could also...

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Turns out 4 layers is A LOT.
I noticed random Japanese dialogue in the FF7 remake while playing in English. More than once. Just now I saved a vid where Tifa spoke Japanese after a battle. We all make mistakes lol, this is kinda funny though
I wonder if the new RPG Maker will have a built-in ABS for maps or a light effect system plugin out of the box.
Not having false expectations, but if it has both, then wow. I am gonna party all night. Nah I lie. I will party all night anyway, just searching for a good excuse. :stickytongue:
And BAM!, the moment you do understand Python setters by studying JS prototypes. That's called SERENDIPITY, coming with something when you was searching for something else. From "The three Princes of Serendib", a persian novel.
The sinking feeling when you realize your grandmother probably isn't long for this world, and the frustration when you know that this pandemic will take her away...not because she has Covid, but because no doctor is willing to see a patient to even run simple diagnostics anymore if one of her symptoms happens to be a recurring fever, even if her primary care physician gives her the test and it comes back negative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lovekraft