Featherbrain
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Happy Holidays, whether beside the Christmas tree, the Hanukkah menora, or a humble Festivus pole! (I've been messing with this redwood tileset for too long.)
    Reactions: Aldu
    Featherbrain
    Featherbrain
    Thanks! It's all custom 24x24 tiles mapped with TileD! Yeah, the dawn redwoods are big honkin trees for sure, and there will be even bigger ones! (The giant redwoods, slightly different from dawn redwoods.) The raptors are about half the size of a human. So yeah, I'm trying to keep that scale in mind... should be a unique look.
    Reactions: Aldu
    Testtubebaby
    Testtubebaby
    I've always liked the idea of an RPG that has an animal cast or playable characters. Dinosaurs (specifically raptors in this case) is a great idea that I whole heartedly appreciate. It looks really neat, well done so far.
    Featherbrain
    Featherbrain
    Thanks! I'm going for something like a raptor version of Watership Down. My wife and I both love dinosaurs, and it's kind of an homage to our chickens (yard raptors XD) as well.
    Hey, so what species are your raptors? Any of these?
    • Love
    Reactions: Featherbrain
    Featherbrain
    Featherbrain
    They are based on Acheroraptor, the North American contemporary of Velociraptor--the game takes place in Hell Creek so they are all North American varieties. However, I'm just calling them "Raptors," since I'm not really going for strict scientific accuracy; these can talk and build raptor societies, after all.
    Featherbrain
    Featherbrain
    I'm not sure if I'll include Utahraptor since they lived in the same time and region, but if so they'd be like the Neanderthals were to early humans, lol... a big, brutish cousin that barely speaks and mostly wants to eat you.
    Frostorm
    Frostorm
    Utahraptor is one of my favorites! It's actually pretty smart (though probably 1 notch below your protagonist species). I do know that they hunted in packs, so they must've had some social hierarchy.
    Made transition effects for going inside or outside using zoom, pixi filter, and a shutter effect
    When you compress a 1Mb parallax image to 65kb but it still looks good enough to serve the purpose:
    Andar
    Andar
    unfortunately the compression only counts on the harddrive, the picture still needs to be uncompressed in RAM while it is being used. And that is the main limit for the size with parallax mapping. A better compression only allows you to reduce download and harddrive storage of your game, not the use of larger parallaxes....
    Featherbrain
    Featherbrain
    Hm... interesting. Thanks for the info! It seemed like the smaller file fixed the slight loading delay I was seeing, but it might be my imagination. Either way, the original file had a lot of detail I didn't really need, so cutting it down to a 4 color PNG-8 didn't lose me anything even if all I gain is a smaller deployment size.
    TakeHomeTheCup
    It can decrease loading times. So the fixed loading delay probably isn't your imagination.
    Cartoonier cloud cover that better fits the art style, as well as (slightly) improved blending/fading... fading clouds when there are larger patterns is still somewhat abrupt for some reason.
    Orex_
    Orex_
    cooooooooooooooooooool! Like the tiles and stuff and it looks awesome with the clouds
    Featherbrain
    Featherbrain
    Thanks! I've been working on this dynamic weather system for a week or two now. The cloud transitions are already a bit smoother since I posted this. These are for "light clouds" and "partly cloudy" conditions; also working on "mostly cloudy" and "dark cloudy" that add a full parallax-style cloudiness filter.
    BrentBAM
    BrentBAM
    Yeah it really adds to the atmosphere!!

Another demo of the dynamic cloud cover system, this time complete with the original soundtrack composition (which sounds even goofier at this 2x playback speed). Much left to tweak but I like it so far.
    It seems MOG Weather only has a "clear" function to instantly erase a given weather effect. Probably works well if weather only changes at map transfer, etc, but looks very abrupt if weather effects are continuously changing. So my next challenge: script a "fade" function to gradually fade the sprites and wait to "clear" the current weather until the opacity of all its sprites hits zero... or something like that! XD
    Scripted a multi-variable weather system that randomizes wind speed, cloudiness, rain, fogginess, etc, while attempting to realistically account for interactions between them (e.g. wind speed affects fogginess, cloudiness affects rain, etc), the current weather pattern, and the player's biome e.g. swamp, beach, etc. Now I "just" have to tie visuals and sounds to the variables so stuff actually happens...
    Shaz
    Shaz
    What engine? Will you be releasing it for others to use?
    Featherbrain
    Featherbrain
    MV. I wasn't thinking about a public release when I wrote it, but it probably could be if I added plugin parameters for the variables. Main thing is it's only a randomization algorithm so far, and the full weather experience will have dependencies on other plugins for visuals (e.g. MOG's Weather EX, Pixi Filter Controller, etc). I'll have to see what I have when I'm really done whether it's worth a public release.
    Finished that egg-sitting mini-game I mentioned here a couple weeks back. Now to fix the weather system so it doesn't rain indoors while you're playing it. >.> A simple fix in itself; leave it to me to take it as an excuse to completely revamp the time/weather/lighting system from scratch.
    Riazey
    Riazey
    Not enough rewriting. Don't forget to also rewrite your entire dialogue system while you're at it xD
    First, the failed hard drive. Then, the leaking garbage disposal. What a week! Now that I've fixed all that, finally, back to my game. Doing some foley work to make baby dino sounds today.
    Working on an "egg-hatching" minigame that plays kind of like whack-a-mole except you're sitting on eggs to warm them up as they get cold. Proud of myself since ~80% of it is handled by JS scripting. Just need to polish it up a bit more. Hoping this becomes the first part of my game I'm ready to make public, perhaps even as a playable demo.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

After hearing Wataten's opening several times and knowing what this anime is about, I don't think I like moe anymore.
So I am working on a big DLC package for my game.... and it will add a new intro and extend the ending of the base game, while of course adding additional content to the game... Yeah, that should work! lol
I'm stuck, I'm making some of Mr. N's Dialogue but I can't finish his full Dialogue...heres what I got now [this is the part I'm stuck on] "You treat me like a
bug, I'M SICK OF IT, you had me make these...abominations...well, now..." and at the "Well, now...' part I'm stuck at, anyone got Ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WDRS