Feldschlacht IV
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Item descriptions are a HUGE part of worldbuilding and lorecrafting for me, and I always notice when they're done expertly. Dragon Age: Origins and Tactics Ogre are good examples of this. I'm trying to emulate that in my project as well. Anyone else appreciate interesting descriptions for items and equipment?
    Reactions: 1 person
    Iliketea
    Iliketea
    I do ^^

I try to make my descriptions both funny ( if it fits) and informative.

But it is quite a bit of work.
    Feldschlacht IV
    Feldschlacht IV
    its a good writing prompt exercise though; how much can you make something sound interesting AND informative in a very finite amount of text?
    I'm torn on having my 'mage' character have access to all elements in his spells, or just a few of them, having elements 'spread' throughout the characters and mages. That way, I'm encouraging the player to 'choose wisely' and form smart teams as opposed to having one guy they can use to hit all elemental weaknesses and nuke everyone. I want to encourage tactical AND strategic thinking.
    Robin
    Robin
    I do like to spread elements throughout the characters, but it does change the roles. When the precise element isn't important, multiple characters will have both physical and magical 'answers' to challenges in battle. If you have a dedicate black mage, they can have all the magical related answers.
    Robin
    Robin
    I do like to spread elements throughout the characters, but it does change the roles. When the precise element isn't important, multiple characters will have both physical and magical 'answers' to challenges in battle. If you have a dedicate black mage, they can have all the magic related answers.
    Feldschlacht IV
    Feldschlacht IV
    I really like that concept you brought up, the concept of 'answers' to the challenges posed to the player in battle. Definitely gives me another angle to think about.
    Game Making is usually wrought with 'I'm REALLY busy' feelings, but in a few weeks I'm about to have a LOT more time for quite a while. I'm excited to see what this brings for my project!
    Hollow 1977
    Hollow 1977
    Yeah it is demanding but fun at the same time. I wish I had more time to allocate to it.
    Passive things like item descriptions and the like can be a great tool for worldbuilding. Try it!
    Shaz
    Shaz
    You could get a script written to allow you to use notes for that.
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Eh, I'm just stubborn. I'm trying to do my first game without using any scripts (it's a good way to learn the program in my opinion). I might add them in later on if I get out of demo phase, but I don't usually like the prospect of paying someone using paypal... or having to figure out how to credit them for it later. Those are things I want to worry about later ^_^
    bgillisp
    bgillisp
    My solution so far has been to limit the flavor text to anything that fits in one line, and the description is line two (if needed). If I don't need more of a description (like say its just a more powerful sword, no special features), then I let the flavor text go to line 2.
    In Deus Ex, NPC conversations like the bartender in Hong Kong exemplify what ambient, NPC dialogue should be at times, an extension of your main characters thoughts and beliefs about the world he interacts with.
    Luca Blight took one of the most impressive assbeatings in RPG history. It's impressive because in spite of the high fantasy setting, he's just a normal human against ridiculous odds. That sort of interesting juxtaposition in ability makes that aspect of himself an interesting characteristic.
    Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    I honestly find him really overrated. He was just a compulsive dog kicker who they programmed to have an interesting fight. As a character he is really bland.
    Feldschlacht IV
    Feldschlacht IV
    Maybe, maybe not, but I specifically worded this status as to not be about the character (which is subjective), but like you said, an interestingly presented fight.

It's not about whether or no you find him interesting, but the fashion the game presented it in a gameplay manner.

I definitely don't want to silence discourse, but I want to steer my intentions for this topic where I intended it to be.
    zachman57
    Happy Suikoden Day everyone. Luca Blight is quite interesting and you have to look into his backstory to understand why he is who he is. His story is quite sad actually.
    MOGTIP: Explain, explain, explain! You don't have to break down EVERY mechanic, but make sure the player knows how to uh, play your game and what you put in it.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

welp, I literally can't continue working on ALEX now that my MZ trial is up (unless I somehow place in the jam which I don't remotely deserve to for my unfinished crap) so I am back on my bullshit
some test stuff. Empty for now. My other project (this project) needs more attention. The lagging really kicks up when I try to capture gameplay. ✨
Real-Time Battles, Pixel Filter, Animate Cursor & Menus & Windows | RPG Maker News #114

When your side job becomes more interesting than your dayjob and you think "do I quit again or finally actually do the same thing for more than five consecutive years..." I don't think I'll ever be able to say that though, I just cannot stick with one thing like you're 'supposed to'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bedo51k