Recent content by HeathRiley

1. HeathRiley

Item/MP Hoarding Prevention

I'm more of this mindset, while I might try to push a player to run out of resources early, if they wanna backtrack giving them a good feeling, I wont stop them.
  2. HeathRiley

Visible Enemy Combat Initiation

I voted that player and enemy must touch. Unless the certain radius is easy to see, I think models touching is a very clear idea of when you will enter combat, that leaves no ambiguity.
  3. HeathRiley

Stacking Status Effects and Damage-over-Time ("8 Ways to Bleed")

Either number 2 or have a set idea/limit to the stacking. "Cannot be stacked more than 3 times" or "If used again, while already in effect, also reduce def by XXX" This reduces the ability to abuse a system, and gives you control over how much you want abused.
  4. HeathRiley

Party/Roster XP Gain

Hello! I think this is a great question, and probably leans to the question of "how do you WANT to challenge the player?" If they only ever need the 4 characters, does it even matter if the others level up? If there are strict challenges that required more of the other characters, such as battle...
  5. HeathRiley

How do you handle Healers and Healing?

For me, it depends on how the rest of the game plays. Is every character pigeonholed into a role? Can characters be built horizontally to a certain degree? I personally like either when the healer can be rewarded for healing in a strict class game, or when every character can be built to some...
  6. HeathRiley

Wishing you the best! I know how the health and testing goes.

Wishing you the best! I know how the health and testing goes.
  7. HeathRiley

While I think bosses should always be immune to some status effects, I totally agree on damage...

While I think bosses should always be immune to some status effects, I totally agree on damage. At least make a partial resist, or that only bosses resist it.
  8. HeathRiley

Promoting Strategy

I think these are pretty good points. -strategy for strategy's sake, or taking time to make something thought provoking, but not enough to drive people away. Is it fun and does it take a little thought? :) If you have too much going on you might have a smaller niche crowd. "Disgaea 5" has...
  9. HeathRiley

Fast Travel Musings

Great post and question! I think @TheoAllen made a wonderful point about immersion or; does the fast travel facilitate your game in a positive way/feel like a positive addition? Is fast travel always a part of the game? Is it introduced later, or opened up in pieces along the story? Or is there...
  10. HeathRiley

Large EXP Gaps to Control Level Progression

I don't mind this to an extent, its always ok to increase how much is needed to the next level and I think players will expect that. Its ok to make jumps in how much exp the enemies give, but you may not want to go too far. I personally don't mind stopping players from ranking up on a low level...
  11. HeathRiley

I did this recently with variables 80-130, every 5 variables was missing a simple ">" , which I...

I did this recently with variables 80-130, every 5 variables was missing a simple ">" , which I only noticed after copy/paste and then customizing
  12. HeathRiley

Skills Levels

Hi there @Sunzoner , there is a great script for something like this that may be able to help you out from Mr. Trivel. I don't think he continues to support his scripts at this time though. here is a link
  13. HeathRiley

Limited Inventory

It definitely depends on both the game and the difficulty. If you have a strategizing game that keeps you on your toes and is constantly wanting you to actually use items, and try out new items, this is a good way to go. Rogelike games take advantage of this. With weapons breaking, limited...
  14. HeathRiley

Monster Catching Mechanics

@Amy Pond I fondly remember FF7, as one of my first playstation games and first game to really get me into RPG games. It led me to play FF6, FFT, and Xenogears, which kind of sealed my love for the genre. I remember catching and breeding chocobos to get the gold chocobo for racing and...
  15. HeathRiley

Other methods of stat progression?

Level up is pretty tried and true. It makes sense to people. The problem comes with; does a level up mean much, and are there no other ways to become stronger? Most games also offer weapons and armor to go between the levels and offer another way for stat progression. Often times there are...

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

This scene was suppose to be a test... but now, it's going in the game as official side/optional content. :kaosalute:

functionality(This is function demo not game demo)
1 The door of ABS map can open upon clearing all the monsters
2 Secret room/road arrow/lighting/whatever others can be shown upon clearing too
3 Boss HP bar and loot effect, loot jump and item name color as well as the pick-up animation effect
4 Back to town and "victory aftermath" screen for ABS maps/rooms
Playing one of the two RM2k3 games I was best known for back in the day, one I made in the Spring semester of my Freshmen year in college like 15 years ago, feeling all kinds of ways about it. I have not played this game in WELL over 10 years. I feel a million years old RN.
One of these days, I need to find/figure out how to replicate the Brave/Default system. Heheh...
Are ReSTAFFs a thing anymore? Just curious, not sure if this is thread-worthy, so just musing here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pokerapk