Recent content by Helen1701

1. Who else is making a game set in the modern world?

That's the beauty of making your own tilsets, you can add anything you want. I have my normal houses tilset, but also an alternative one which includes bamboo houses and log cabins. So like, even though it's a modern world, there are going to be some throwbacks appropriate for the storyline...
  2. Nudity in Games

I intend my game to be family friendly, so there won't be any full on nudity. The closest I'm getting to that is people in swimwear on the beach (where women in bikinis and men in shorts is appropriate for the setting). I'm not prudish, but I personally prefer not to see naked sprites. If i...
  3. are the default rpgmaker sound effects really royalty free?

Those limitations made the games of the past what they were, usually extremely brightly coloured and yet visually appealling, with soundtracks that just draw you in. There is nothing wrong with more modern video game music of course, I can't help but love the ambient style immersive music that...
  4. are the default rpgmaker sound effects really royalty free?

In which case, my apologies, I misunderstood what you were talking about, I assumed you meant graphics for the games we make in RPG maker! But yes, if someone wants to do a professional quality graphic design project then those expensive cameras might be necessary. I think I will be fine with...
  5. are the default rpgmaker sound effects really royalty free?

The problem with the high end camera and mic and recorder is that some of us don't have literally hundreds of £ to spend on such equipment. Lets keep it simple and say we want a tileset which includes trees, outdoor B for instance. Nobody can copyright a tree, it is something that just exists in...
  6. [Rant] youtube's removal of dislikes will seriously hurt the Tutorial Community (UPDATE)

Put that way, it's scary. I agree that there are people for whom things like youtube and facebook can become addictive, but I've never really given it much thought TBH. I just assumed that these were people who had little else to occupy their time, and so they'll post hundreds of random pictures...
  7. [Rant] youtube's removal of dislikes will seriously hurt the Tutorial Community (UPDATE)

I wouldn't say that the connection is always tenuous. I once saw a 'tutorial' (in the loosest sense of the word) for Breath of the wild, where the youtuber was recommending that people run and jump at and try to grab the little fairies around the fairy fountain near Kakariko village. Very bad...
  8. [Rant] youtube's removal of dislikes will seriously hurt the Tutorial Community (UPDATE)

I don't think removing the dislike button was a good idea. Someone who isn't allowed to express themselves by using the button will only use the comments section to say what they want to say anyway. I understand why they did it, they probably didn't want inexperienced youtubers getting upset and...
  9. Is it possible to change the default battle system in VX Ace?

Shaz, To be fair, I hadn't searched for that! I still have a lot to learn, and I have zero experience with programming. This said, I would be willing to learn it, if it means I can use it to add useful mechanics into gameplay that the default doesn't offer. Trihan, as much as I would love to...
  10. Is it possible to change the default battle system in VX Ace?

Hi all, I am making a game in VX Ace, and all of the battles are those turn based ones that happen automatically. This is great for pokemon style games and stuff like that. BUT, how would I get it so that the player can directly attack an enemy with a laser gun without having it turn based? The...
  11. Who else is making a game set in the modern world?

I'm quite enjoying the process of making the tilesets. I've done the flooring and walls, stairs...etc. Now I get to make modern furniture and appliances, everything from a bathroom suite to a vaccum cleaner. I'm even going to do an animated screen for the TV so it looks more realistic, and a...
  12. If no one cares about your game does it make sense to keep making it?

The thing is, if you aren't advertising, and nobody knows about your game, they don't get the chance to form an opinion (positive or negative). Now, when you advertise a game, people are going to play it, and when they do, they will form an opinion. You can't guarantee that all of those...
  13. are the default rpgmaker sound effects really royalty free?

Some sound effects are going to sounds similar to non-RTP sound effects. There is only so many ways a door can creak...
  14. Feedback is Garbage and you Should Ignore 90% of it!

I don't think there is such a thing as a 'right' number of party members, because it depends on the storyline and what you need for it to work properly. Some games function well with a single party member, the player. Others need quite a few more. I have this idea in my head that I will only use...
  15. Feedback is Garbage and you Should Ignore 90% of it!

That's a bit dramatic, isn't it? To make a statement like 'I don't belong anywhere' all because of a disagreement on an internet forum is rather OTT.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I think it's ready - Chapter Selection:
unknown.png
On another more gaming topic, I paid 20 bucks for a visual novel to emotionally destroy me. I may write an entry about that.
1638611395177.png
Reading about metaverses recently. I can totally imagine myself in the future, logging in with VR glasses to a virtual beach villa sitting in a virtual chair, with a virtual laptop facing the sea...coding 16-bit RM.
Mod name: "[Game name] Gameplay Overhaul"
What they actually mean: "Here is a mod that makes the game harder."
I decided to reinstall one of my most favourite game of all times, Gothic 2. Time to get back to Khorinis!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darmix