Recent content by hian

1. hian

Is LEARNING Game Design overestimated?

First things first - Yes, some people are talented beyond compare and are gifted with naturally analytical minds to the extent that they can play a bunch of games, pick them apart in their heads and realize what made those games work, and then take those elements and successfully transfer them...
  2. hian

World Maps

You didn't have to do that. I wasn't replying to you because I thought you were aggressive - I simply replied because it seemed to pretty pertinent to what I had been saying, and I thought you raised a concern that I had already addressed. Of course, there are plenty of reasons and concerns...
  3. hian

World Maps

Tai has perfectly understood what I meant by my post, so if there is any more confusion on the topic, please refer to that. I'd also like to say that this has a lot to do with style, and of course, personal preference. I personally prefer games to be stylistically consistent. Before I...
  4. hian

World Maps

The let me draw attention to the part where I qualified this opinion : On the other hand, having no world-map and just a bunch of maps ruins the sense of scale for me and takes me out of the experience (FFX, looking at you) - on one hand everything is presented as being in scale, but on...
  5. hian

World Maps

World maps by far. In terms of abstractions, it's the least abstract map choice you can go with to convey scope/scale short of making a large seamless world. It's also arguably better than the huge seamless worlds because it doesn't clutter the experience with redundant and empty scenery...
  6. hian

RSSBSACE: Reedo's Simple Side Battle System Ace Edition

I really want to adjust the distance between the individual sprites, and their locations etc on the battle screen - which part of the script do I modify to do this? I'm using some rather large sprites, and they're essentially standing on top of each-other now, so I'd like to fix that.
  7. hian

Game & Map Screenshots 8

Heavy work in progress - but I've pretty much settled on the visual style (light impressionism/water-color), and done a decent amount of character and monster design. Now I just need to finish working on the U.I and make battle back-grounds, and then we're getting much closer to an alpha version.
  8. hian

The Resource WIP thread 2

Been a while since I posted anything on this forum. Art from my primary project (impressionism/watercolor styled game - realize it's not for everyone, but hey. Also screw imgur for turning my pngs into lower quality jpgs)
  9. hian

Sociopaths and self destructive characters

Firstly, sociopathy has not been an accepted diagnosis to put on people for quite some time in the field. Secondly, psychopathy is rarely used either, and then often limited to the field of criminal psychology when talking about people who're exhibiting extreme criminal tendencies and are...
  10. hian

Is making a fan made game illegal?

No, that's an original definition - one I do not accept at that. The Star Wars Extended Universe is fan-fiction regardless of whether it is tolerated and blessed by Lucas himself - as long as it is not being made with his supervision, not distributed by him or his company, and is not...
  11. hian

Is making a fan made game illegal?

I wish people in this thread would stop saying stuff like :   It's not just Andar (so I'm sorry for quoting you twice), but several people in this thread. This is categorically wrong. If you have permission by the copyright holder(s) of the source material for all the material(s) you use in...
  12. hian

If an intruder came into your home

I said it once and I'll say it again - You want my credentials, you can have them. Copies of my academic record dealing with subjects on criminology, my training credentials, and my work accolades/letters of reference. It's easy to talk big on the internet, and I'm not the one doing it...
  13. hian

Statistically speaking, I am in a high-risk group because I actually work in an occupation that means I frequently get into contact with both criminals, and mentally unstable people. (I wonder how comfortable you'd be sitting unarmed in a tiny van, next to an immigrant from a war-torn...
  14. hian

It's not my job to stop burglars - that's the work of law enforcement. If, statistically speaking, attempting to stop a burglar increases my chance of getting hurt, then not doing anything is preferable if I stack my life up against my property. My life is more important than my property...
  15. hian

Party setups in RPGs

My preferred party system is a combination of 1.)Creating your own party setup by choosing who to bring with you, and 2.)A party consisting of characters with possible roles, but aren't bound to only 1 task. In my current project you have a relatively large cast, and when the plot does not...

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Who knew modern medieval was an actual music genre? I don't know what the youtube algorithms are doing but for once they found something actually fascinating:
Yay! Got 3 new frying pans, its weird, but I'm so happy about it.
Yelp. I've discovered that I am one of those people who should not be drinking coffee. Took me a week detoxing off of coffee and switching to tea to realize how badly it was affecting me- and I've been drinking the stuff for years. Yikes!
I bought a gaiter with Meijer printed on it.

I'm still a Walmart worker, and I wore it today for work.
Trying out new carpet autotiles and I can't decide if it's working or not. Pixeling soft carpets is hard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CyberRPG