HOLYMOTHER
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Finally working on those combat animations! Just finished the signs of the grades, about to work on the invoking and banishing pentagrams and then the letters of the tetra- and pentagrammaton.
    One last piece of music to round out my theme in posting it this week.

Battle music! There are three classes of music in my game: area (rare, melodic); battle (common, rhythmic); and cinematic (rarest, actually sound like normal songs). But the music posting doesn't seem so popular.
    HOLYMOTHER
    HOLYMOTHER
    Think maybe I ought to turn down that hi hat.

Anyway, MagiCats! will have something more like a film score than a musical or operatic one. In RM terms, more like LISA, where everything is different, than Undertale where there are all these recurring motifs.
    gstv87
    gstv87
    if you were to change the instruments to SNES synth and tell me it's a 1996 game's world map music, I'd believe you.

especially that lick at 0:48 (and previously around 0:35), that rise and drop, if you change it to synth strings and maybe pitch it one octave higher, it should sound happy and joyful, .... like an RPG of that time.

Progress on Glitzerine! I've set up all the instruments and remixed it.

Those of you who played the MCR:IS demo with a discerning ear may notice my affinity toward goofy sounding 70s keyboards. I think all that Spyro when I was a kid did it to me.

Working on music for the game! This here will be played in Ikshum, the snowy, easterly "hometown." I usually don't ask for feedback, but I've listened to this track so many times I honestly can't tell how good it is anymore. This is the main loop, no intro.
    HOLYMOTHER
    HOLYMOTHER
    This isn't the final mix, of course. Far from it. You can hear that I'm trying to emulate how old hardware had limited channels for audio, like the SNES, but with modern virtual instruments it sounds like chamber music.
    zumlar
    This sounds great. May I use It for my game to please?
    gstv87
    gstv87
    that tuba/horn, switch it from single note to quiet sustain.
    *single-note brass base accent* relates to marching band, not home town.
    rmfmagpromo.png

Working on sprites of ascended magi for portraits in the game! with Cyp leftmost in his pajamas for reference.
    From the left after Cyp: Žygimantas the Risen and Fallen; Griogair Who Broke the Day; Iskender a Lover Resolving; Ciniod the Fountain Serpent; and Eliphalet the Ameliorator.

More fun with cars!
    HOLYMOTHER
    HOLYMOTHER
    That's Adalbrecht and Kazimiera's manor house in the Askupat Heights, in Ikshum! Rousalie helps them in one of the first "side-quests" in the game. I'm still putting the map together.
    HexMozart88
    HexMozart88
    Nice map! I'd add a bob to the sprite walk, though, so it doesn't just look like a shuffle.
    HOLYMOTHER
    HOLYMOTHER
    @HexMozart88 There is a bob to the main sprite; the one you see here is a secondary for cutscenes later in the game, but I put the option to wear it in the demo as a fun little extra. I used it for this just to contrast against the architecture and car.
    Which would be better for a demo: more views, or more downloads per view (adjusted for there being fewer views)?

Not that I think that sort of exchange really happens. I've just been fiddling with the MagiCats!: RIS page on itch.io and the last few days' stats show views are down but downloads up, so it made me think of this hypothetical.

I would've thought more downloads to be better, but maybe it isn't so simple.
    Reactions: Ronyunderen
    rpgLord69
    rpgLord69
    Yeah, just something I thought about. I don't know a thing about marketing myself (probably should try and do some of it myself :D )
    myenemy
    myenemy
    Both are good indicators, but people will watch a trailer a few times and only download once or twice. Besides, if they watch and don't download, that probably means they didn't enjoy the video, but they might have enjoyed the game a lot if they just tried it. So more downloads is a more credible measurement for me.
    cthulhusquid
    cthulhusquid
    Honestly, feedback is the best, then downloads, then views in that order.
    Finally got offered a deal on my manuscript from a publishing house today. I'm supposed to feel great, right? But whenever I think about taking the deal waves of dread wash over me. I feel like Faust when he sees "homo fuge" on his arm. I get the feeling I should do it my own way, self-publish or start my own boutique press. I don't know what to do.
    PixelatedBree
    PixelatedBree
    First off, CONGRATULATIONS on getting a deal!! That’s so exciting! :kaojoy: It sounds like you have some options to weigh, which is a good thing! Wishing you the best of luck with your decision!
    Nenen
    Nenen
    !
    Btw, It isn't a vanity press where they want you to pay them money right?
    Because if so, RUN AWAY. That's no good.
    Better to self-publish then do anything with those!

But if it's the real deal, hopefully it's good.
    HOLYMOTHER
    HOLYMOTHER
    Nope, it's the real deal. A bigger publisher in a very niche market. They'd do the promotion and distribution and the rest, but certain things they want me to do would pigeonhole me and my image. Thanks for your concern, though!

I've talked with my friends and family, and I am leaning more toward self-publishing. I'm going to give it a few days, though.
    Happy Autism Acceptance Month from Cyp and Rous!
    mgautmonthtru.png
    Willibab
    Willibab
    Ngl, never heard of this one before. Are they not accepted?
    HOLYMOTHER
    HOLYMOTHER
    Well, I happen to be a sperglord myself -- diagnosed in middle school -- and I can tell you that in most countries, and especially those in Asia, autistic people are not accepted, no. Even in the West, where people are nominally acceptive of things like autism, there's little infrastructure for autistic people regardless of their functioning.
    HOLYMOTHER
    HOLYMOTHER
    Every institution caters to the hypersocial, especially education, and so people who would otherwise contribute a great deal to the world fall by the wayside, because society has been all but engineered to discriminate against them. Anyway, this has gotten a little heavy, and I have a lot to do today. This is just supposed to be a fun little jokey post.
    steppecatforf.png
    WIP - A molly from the Hazeeqat Steppe in Ikshum.
    nrcandkhrc.png

Art of Cyprian and Kingdom Hearts Cyp! This'll be the new crossover feature for when MagiCats! Monday makes its triumphant return. I'll do Final Fantasy Cyp next, and who knows, maybe Rousalie will get some art too.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Messing around with fragment shaders (filters). This thing is HUGE and I'm surprised almost no one makes good use of. Even the number of plugins that do this stuff are limited.
ScreenShot_6_28_2022_3_2_40.png

There's 7 main areas in the game that are all connected. This train get's you from an underground lab to the center of someone's subconscious. inside the train you can talk to some of the passengers. but going to the top of it, there's battles.
Speedrunning all character portraits just so they all have the same quality. Not sure if this was a good idea, but now I'm almost done.
We now have a gameplay video!
DrBuni wrote on Akiritas's profile.
That is a cute Link picture, reminds me of the Samurai Jack artstyle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xcarlet