ImaginaryVillain
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Finally... after a long month of waiting, I get to delete Poppet Quest. :LZSexcite:

I just didn't want to be rude and do so during the game jam. But it's getting switched to a "Metroidvania" in another engine, and I didn't want that garbage version I had in the jam tainting it anymore than it already has. :kaoback:
    I'm a bit perturbed that my two week project in a different engine is already shaping up to be far better than anything I've done in this one. It really calls into question my future plans. :kaoswt:

I guess I'll release whatever patches I made for Poppet Quest, then abandon it for my new project. I mean unless it somehow wins (I doubt it but hey sure). I'm not sure about And Remember Tomorrow.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Plus the level editor shows all of my particles and animations happening in real time. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've had to launch RM just to see what something would look like. On top of that, I haven't needed a single plugin. Yes, no more duct taping together plugins for basic functionality like Self Variables.

TLDR: The grass on the other side is not only greener, it has physics. :LZSwink:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    I will admit I haven't made the generic JRPG combat system of RM in it though. There is a free plugin for that, but I have never used it. So if you wish to make a generic JRPG, then MV/MZ is probably easier... I guess... I really don't know. I have zero intention of doing that or testing the plugin.
    Featherbrain
    Featherbrain
    My face reading this:

Attachments

• 23jjd0.jpg
      23jjd0.jpg
      191.3 KB · Views: 8
    Me: "I don't to use other engines because I'd have to do a lot of coding."

Also my desktop right now....
    mycurrentdesktop.jpg

...I literally spend more time using VS Code than MZ. :kaoswt:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    So those extra Interpreter commands (along with the other functions RM calls with each) push you closer and closer to the magic throttle amount. This is a good portion of the reason why Poppet Quest can do all that graphical stuff and not get throttled.

Also pardon my poor explanation of that, it's after 6am here. I should really be asleep. :kaoswt:
    Featherbrain
    Featherbrain
    Thanks for the tip! I do have use a plugin file for my own functions and tweaks to other plugins, I just use Windows Notepad as my editor out of laziness/convenience. This is useful information, though. When I was a newb, I did do some stuff with extended script calls in RM itself, and those are now among the few parts of the game that can lag on low spec hardware. Def will revisit that stuff and do it right.
    TheGentlemanLoser
    My number one take away from this game jam is to make small games that are as polished and bug free as possible. Far less dev time, and if the game flops, it matters less because my time investment is much lower. Also, whatever ambitions I have... aim for about 10% of them. They are clearly too high, and will involve stuff that likely won't matter.
    So the number one complaint I get so far is the levels are simply too large. What's funny is in testing I deemed levels taking too long and actually shortened them. Figuring I could beat them in 5-6 minutes so players would be able to do so in probably double that. I was apparently very mistaken, only one player has mentioned even reaching the second area. Let alone the first boss. :kaoswt:
    Reactions: RCXDan
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    This also calls into question And Remember Tomorrow's disintegrating world mechanic... Which I now realize will needs to be reworked, as if Poppet Quest's stuff is too large and difficult, large levels that are disintegrating in about a minute and half, that have to be regrown over and over in order to succeed, would be near impossible. The more I look into this, the more I'm glad I did this game jam.
    RCXDan
    RCXDan
    Yeah that was a big reason I took to reviewing as many entries as I can even if I'm not an official judge of any kind. To help as many people as possible.

Game jams can be a chance to see how our principles work in action without the inevitable burnout of a full length game.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    I should really do that at some point. Though I keep messing with stuff and ways to improve my own game. :kaoswt:
    Hmm... Game has 91 views, 25 downloads, 5 reviews and netted me 7 additional followers. Meanwhile the image I posted just yesterday on Imgur to showcase it has 45,197 views. Interesting, I think I have a new advertising idea. Also Twitter? The post got 16 retweets, 20 likes, and 1,683 views.... And a whole 3 hits to my game, completely valueless. I am glad I did this game jam, this information is quite valuable.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    I think if I'd just put my game's URL in the image on Imgur... It would have net more hits to my game. I'm not without my followers on Twitter (1200+), and Instagram (500+). I have just seen that it yields exactly zero response even with Youtube videos. You'll be lucky to get 1% click through. But really what I'm seeing is even with 100% click through of all of my followers... That would be an advertising failure.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    It's too low of numbers as once they get to Itch I'm only seeing a 1.47% download ratio so I would get around 25 downloads. Compound that with the game being literally free... Yeah, that's not a receipe for success at all. I'll need to rethink my plans. This is very educational. On a side note 43 of my page visits are from Itch itself. Not super important just interesting.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    As for the people on Imgur, I mean you just described the whole Internet. So yes, yes I'd love to attract them, heck I'll take anybody. One can't build fame by being choosy. :LZSwink:

I ended up reworking the interface, and Poppet's animations so she has a wand now and waves it to fire a shot. Also I gave her a shadow. Still have to rerender other stuff with shadows but eh.... I like her new "pew pew" wand. :LZSexcite:
    Poppet Quest stats so far.. 61 views, 20 downloads, 3 reviews, 1 comment, 4 followers gained.... Hmm...
    From a content creation standpoint, games really have awful traction. At least the experiment is interesting, time to see what adding Twitter into the mix does. Maybe the supposed 1,290 followers I have on it will prove useful. Then I'll test out Insta. :barf:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Thanks! Honestly... I'm figuring that there are just so many games, people really haven't had time. Though I'm really curious to see how my plugins perform. Nobody else has ever tested them but me (even if it was on multiple computers).
    r66r
    r66r
    No doubt there will be a lot more evaluation between now and the results in a month's time.

As an example, I imagined myself going through the majority of the games to figure out how to improve the final game of my demo submitted for the contest. But even limiting myself to 20 minutes per game and playing 2-3 games each day, it would take me at least 30 days to finish. :kaoswt2:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Yeah, there really are a lot of games. Even the judges are only dividing them up into quarters and handing a list of their "winners" to the next judge, which I assume will be half or so. Then they're going to play those and hand half to the next one. So even each judge won't be playing most of the games.
    poppetQuestBarryApproaches.jpg
    While I wait for judging, I decided to start adding more "friends" to my attic. :LZSgrin:

I swear I need a whole sound pack of menacing squeaky toy noises. :kaoswt:
    It's weird, but I'm actually a bit annoyed that I have to wait to work on my game till after the Game Jam is over. I thought I'd be completely sick of it. But nope! Today I was like... "You know what would improve this?!" :LZSexcite:

On the plus side I vastly improved my personal plugins and learned a lot when working Poppet Quest. Time to steal some ideas from myself for my other game. :LZSwink:
    poppetQuestTigerKitties.png

They're kind of adorable, in a creepy sort of moving on their own sort of way. :LZSwink:
    • Love
    Reactions: The Stranger
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Moving inanimate objects are really bloody scary. It's usually creepy looking mannequins doing the whole moving when you're not looking thing, though.
    gstv87
    gstv87
    "Oi! Ow you doin'.... look over there... tha's a Toiger, one them most dangerous creetures on Earth!"

".....I'mma touch it."
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    @gstv87 The motivation behind every single interaction between man and beast. When encountering a wild animal, the human only wonders whether or not they can pet it. xD
    I have visual evidence of submitting my game... I can rest now. This has been one long month of hundreds of dev hours. I'm not even going to look sideways at my RM stuff for like a week after this. :kaoback:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Well don't forget the "Second Rate" part. :LZSwink:

No but seriously, I'll probably build it into a much more full fledged Diablo style game in the future. There was no way it was going to arrive at that in a month though.
    Kes
    Kes
    *Gasp*!! Does this mean - no sparkles?
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Well... I was going to add a lot more pretty effects, but... well it kind of didn't fit with a creepy attic... And I er.. ran out of time. I did manage to sneak stars in though because the Game Jam gave me the perfect excuse. :LZSgrin:
    Reactions: Kes
    Almost 1am.... and it's still 86F outside. :kaoswt:
    • Sad
    Reactions: RCXDan
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Doesn't rain often just make it worse though? I mean everything is all damp then the next time it's hot, it just turns all humid. Reminds me of that year I spent in Portland. Awful place, it was always humid but two months out of the year it would heat up and become a sauna. :kaoswt:
    taarna23
    taarna23
    The sun had already gone down, so it helped cool things off. It's already humid as heck here; I live a reasonably short walk away from a river.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Well that sounds nice, if I lived within walking distance of a river I'd probably be there most days. :LZSexcite: Sadly the only one near me is a 15-20 minute drive away, and overrun by criminals and homeless encampments. :kaocry:
    //Sees it's the same price at Best Buy for a new SSD as Amazon
    //Sees it's 103F outside and Best Buy is half a hour of driving.
    //Orders from Amazon.
    I'll wait the 2-3 days. :LZSwink:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    //looks at own game
    Yep can confirm my game is just regular life in California during the Summer. Take too long outside, and keel over dead. :kaoback: This is why we built tunnels and hiss at the sun, and you people probably just thought I was antisocial. :LZSangel:

@The Stranger They dash back so you can't be angry at them for tampering with your food. :LZSwink:
    taarna23
    taarna23
    Ugh. We had heat up here close to that recently, and looks like we will again, soon. However, I'm insane and will absolutely go out in that heat rather than order on Amazon... The only thing we get here from Amazon is only because the company doesn't sell it directly through their site, onlt on Amazon, and it would be half again the price locally.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    That's fair, I admit I don't like supporting Amazon. However it's not like I'd be supporting a local mom and pop store either, it would just be another corporation. If it was a mom and pop place, I'd be willing to put up with the heat.
    Me: I just want to sit and work on my game all day everyday! Shiny code! Shiny graphics! Yay! :LZSexcite:
    Other people: What if we give you money not to?
    Me: :kaoswt:
    //Long pause...

Me: You've won this day foul temptress! :kaolivid:
    actual_pixi_6_0_4_comment.jpg

"Keep in mind doing that will forever make you a jerk face." - Pixi JS 6.0.4

:LZSlol:
    Part of me wants to stream making this new city map... But the other part of me is too busy yawning to really care. Maybe I'll just private stream it and then have YouTube send me a version later I can speed up. :LZSexcite:
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Will this new hair also cause your computer to die a little inside? xD
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Nope, it actually uses 5 gigs less of RAM and almost no GPU but looks better! :kaoback: All of the those sacrifices volunteers I sent to Lord Cthulhu really paid off. To think their sad little lives could have so much meaning by bringing such an amazing thing into the world! It's beautiful! :kaocry:
    RivalRamen_Games
    RivalRamen_Games
    He gonna commit A R S O N
    Today while doing some research on Victorian fashion, I've learned something interesting. Apparently much of it was based on the Tuberculosis pandemic that ravaged the era. Not only was darker colors such as black worn often due to the vast number of funerals people had to attend. But they actually romanticized the look of "consumption"... basically the look of dying to Tuberculosis.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Making games is the only thing I'm good at. Real talk.
So, uh... where's the RPG Maker MZ update with the MV animation system? Is there a release date confirmed?
Also I'm kind of brave enough to admit this. I... I have a crush on Sephiroth.
Please don't call me anything offensive. I'm naturally crazy.
thanks to a lot of lunatic coding... my game finally has a stun mechanic that I feel really good about. damage enemy's mental psyche (mp), and once empty, hitting with certain attacks trigger combos that can stack the damage.
Waiting for the 1.40 update before testing out my copy of MZ so that I don't end up adding unnecessary work to my plate. Meanwhile the current fourth draft for my story is taking shape, and I'm fleshing out the lore as I realize how things would make better sense here and there for the world that I'm building.
Sword_of_Dusk wrote on BCj's profile.
Just found out about your complications. I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I wish I could do something substantial for you, but our distance from each other makes that an impossibility. Still, if you ever need to talk or vent, I'm here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SolucoFPS