ImaginaryVillain
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• So apparently World Anvil is actually 30% off at the moment... After watching half a hour of videos and playing with their software for another half hour... Yep, I'm in. Time to make my very own private wiki full of secret world building knowledge. :LZSexcite:
    Reactions: Hyouryuu-Na
    Sigony
    Sigony
    I like Scrivener
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    It looks okay, but really what I liked about World Anvil was the very visual nature of it. I've tried more text oriented methods of sorting but it just doesn't quite mesh with my thought process.
    Sigony
    Sigony
    Whatever works, gangsta
    Somewhere I messed something up and it's giving garbage image lookups... This one is my favorite though.

Today I learned my game apparently doesn't use any .png files. :kaoback:
    Hyouryuu-Na
    Hyouryuu-Na
    Oh no XD
    • Haha
    Reactions: Dalph
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    So the problem came up because I forgot how poorly MV's global variables handle arrays. I ran into this problem ages ago, at the time I just thought they returned inconsistent values. Now I know they don't always parse correctly. So it may return any portion of the array on a query, sometimes even the whole array.
    rux
    rux
    That Loading Error messages is my sleep paralysis demon

Finally! I've been puzzling over why it wasn't working for two days now. Turns out all of my calculations were correct, I just forgot to give some events hitboxes. :kaoswt: Now my randomly generated maps check for collision errors, and move stuff around in real time if they finds any. :LZSexcite:
    Hyouryuu-Na
    Hyouryuu-Na
    At this point you can make your own game engine XD
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Haha maybe. Though I'm still so reliant on other people's plugins that to share such a thing with others I'd almost need to just make a bunch of YouTube videos explaining how to do stuff. Also give them my creator plugin... Whose true claim to fame is it's a fantastic memory manager, without which MV/MZ can't run my game. I don't think people on average would even understand what it's doing. :kaoswt:
    KazukiT
    KazukiT
    You definitely are very expressive with your coding based on what you are able to do with it. I do agree with @Hyouryuu-Na you could almost make your own engine. We could call it RPG Maker IV XP
    I really get the feeling I should be doing regular YouTube videos whenever I make something cool in my game, instead of waiting for massive changes. But not going to lie... I always feel like it's never quite enough to merit an update, until it's a drastic change. :kaoswt:
    Sigony
    Sigony
    I would look at other successful game dev YouTubers like Randall and come up with the laziest possible content strategy that incorporates what they do well, and see how I could add my own spin to it.

He has a narrative pulling interest forward in his videos, and he makes dumb jokes as a meme which makes it cool.
    Sigony
    Sigony
    he does rather infrequent updates too, but he live-streams as well
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Haha, I didn't even think about it as looking for the laziest possible content strategy. But it makes sense, the easier the content is to produce the more frequently I can do so. Really the thing that I'm considering is that I need to build hype to advertise anyway... So building a YouTube just makes some degree of sense. Hmm.... I guess I'll focus more on it for a bit.
    Reactions: Sigony

230 paths... roughly 250 light sources on the screen... One serious lag fiesta... But I finally got it all the screen at once. I guess I could have also just made an event to spawn each one in exactly the location I needed, but that's sooo much less fun. :LZSwink:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    One idea was to make the player draw the permanent power up to the portal out instead of just leaving. The paths actually can grab objects and pull them with. Which is how you can lead stuff to the exit, including NPCs who will follow along the paths. Which is of course partially where they get their name. I have that already made with a sample NPC that can be rescued on every test map.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Also I've got multiple keys that appear and have to be dragged to the portal location to open the exit. So the current test game flow is; collect power ups while dragging 3 keys to the portal, save the quest NPC by getting them to the open portal, and if you still have time drag any permanent upgrades to the exit. Currently the map is basically gone in a minute and thirty seconds.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    I'll almost certainly be randomizing those goals, and varying them up... But just for testing that's the current setup. I might also make people fight mini bosses, and actual bosses on disintegrating maps. But I'll probably include a way for the player to move on to new maps during those fights to keep ahead of their death.

I've been experimenting with improved memory management again, which allowed me to include items to increase player path length. These are both 44 grid spaces long, and stable. :LZSexcite:
    Hyouryuu-Na
    Hyouryuu-Na
    Ik unfortunately it has flaws that prevents me from using it :")
    Ooh both seem very complex for RM :0
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    I mean have you seen the game I'm current working on? I don't mind complex. :LZSwink: The first idea is actually very easy in it's most basic form. Make two maps, then create a transfer command that tracks the player's X,Y then moves them to the other map. And just use switches/variables to change events based on what the player's accomplished. I of course would use particles to do crazy things with it.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    The second one is basically a swap between two character sheets, one's just a shadow. I'd play a particle effect to make them look like they morphed into the other. Then I'd just make events have different hit boxes based on what state they're in. And use black particles to create fake shadows. :LZSwink: Not going to lie... I may not have been born into the Particle, but I have adopted it. :LZScool:
    Success, my character has harnessed the power of the particle, and now she leaves a speed streak.:kaopride:

I'm breaking up with QSprite. :kaolivid:
    I'm a bit conflicted. One the one hand, it's quite visually cool to make bodies of water that the player can interact with by going into it. However obscuring the player character from a gameplay perspective is pretty bad. Hmm... There's the option to make the area around the player visible, but then that kind of defeats the purpose of submerging them. :unsure:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Thanks! I've got a game thread here if you want to see it. :LZSexcite:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    I'll likely just end up testing both and see what I like best. I've already been messing around with it. My last YouTube video with my WIP boss fight had the water depth on. It didn't drastically effect stuff. But it didn't really add anything either. I'll have to slow stuff down a fair amount to really make it not just a visual obstacle to the player.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    @l8rose I'll definitely look into it, thanks for the advice. :LZSexcite: I'll tinker around with it. It will definitely be a challenge, but worth it if the gameplay is better. Though at this point I might be willing to sacrifice some of the beloved graphics for gameplay. I mean it's a game not an art gallery, even if I think I'd be way better at making an art gallery. :kaoswt:
    Reactions: Dororo
    And then I figured out a way to doing a "regular animation" that's affected by PIXI particles. So now each frame of the animation gets particle effects. Soon my dreams of a world without QSprite will be realized. :kaopride:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    PIXI Particles aren't locked to layers 1,3,4, in fact I use layers -30 to 100. This allows me to create the illusion of depth by making layers appear above or below the player at varying z coordinates.

So what I've been experimenting with is creating multi frame animations by swapping PIXI particles on the fly. If I can....
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    ...successfully do it in a way that's not too resource intensive but completely replace the QSprite animations, then I won't be bound to layers 1,3,4 and the restrictions of normie things like solid spritesheets. :LZSexcite:
    Hyouryuu-Na
    Hyouryuu-Na
    Oh I see :0 Thanks for explaining ^^
    Huh, with the release of HUD Maker Ultra... I'm one plugin closer to my game being able to run on MZ. :popcorn:
    KakonComp
    KakonComp
    Nice. Thanks for the heads up, yo.
    Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    @ImaginaryVillain, you see Driftwood Gaming using the Hud maker. Maybe you might get a new idea from their video.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Yeah they're the ones who clued me into it's existence. Though I admit I didn't watch their video since it's over a hour long, I just watched SRD's thrown together explanation video on it. Other than having an outside editor, they're pretty similar. Admittedly since I don't own MZ (and am uncertain if I ever will), it was more of just a curiosity versus anything else.
    I just realized, ever since MZ came out and they moved the MV board... I've almost never looked at it, unless a "Latest Thread" just happened to be in it. Honestly I kind of forgot it existed. All I ever seem to look at now are the Javascript boards and the "Latest" stuff, then I just wander off. :kaoswt:
    I was messing around with particles and made a pew pew sparkle laser. :LZSexcite:

Also I tested this game on my first gen Surface Pro (it's literally made of stone)... And er.. Anyway enjoy your 8 fps? Yeah... Going to need a graphics card or a much new APU for this game barring some kind of major changes.

So I've been testing disintegrating a map from left to right over about a minute and thirty seconds. And giving the player that long to drag stuff to a portal on the opposite side they'd like to keep, along with accomplishing any side objectives.

They can of course permanently abandon the map at any time,.....
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Of course there's no visible timer, I think the world disintegrating behind you is enough of an indicator that you should probably go fast, and er... not in that direction. Definitely doing a very "Half Minute Hero" vibe here, since well... I have infinite maps, might as well take advantage of that. :LZSwink:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    I just continued what I was saying in my game thread... I have no idea why I try and type out long stuff in the Profile Posts. :kaoback:
    Sigony
    Sigony
    It’s the safe place
    taarna23
    taarna23
    Can't even see all the useful stats anyway. Concurrent users is not a helpful metric on a piece of software.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Yeah the owners listed below is 0-20,000... Hardly the most accurate of measurements. I just give it the benefit of the doubt and say 20,000.
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    LOL! Owners between 0 and 20,000. Which is it, Steamspy? There's a huge difference between 0 and 20,000. xD I'm one of those who, while owning it on Steam, only use the desktop version.
    I got my personal lighting plugin down to 486 lines of code from 613 lines. :LZScool:
    The game was going well until the Harold Titan arrived. :kaoback:
    As I look at ways to protect my game assets for a demo... I realize I'm more concerned about people stealing the code versus the graphics. Like my water graphic, you want it? Here you go! You're welcome! :LZSexcite:

In action it looks like this...

Not very useful without the code. :LZSwink:
    Current size of my game before deploy? 97.8MB... 51.6MB audio, 31.1MB graphics, the rest data. 249MB deployed... Got to love that oversized Chromium browser deployment throws in. :LZSwink:
    • Haha
    Reactions: Dororo and Riazey
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Also now that I'm testing it in a deployed state, I can see now that it requires around 600-700MB of RAM to run, and obviously if you don't have WebGL you need not apply. Even if I didn't forcibly make the game require it, the game would just be literally blank without it anyway.
    I think of all the effects in my game, the light passing through fog has got to be my favorite....

...Also I spent all day trying to figure out how I had suddenly messed it up and made it start dropping frames like crazy. So I had all day to look at it... mocking me... with it's previous 60fps reduced to 30fps... At least it's fixed now.
    taarna23
    taarna23
    It's okay. I have no social life and I don't work or always put that kind of effort into my game and I'm not remotely sure what I'll have by the end of October. My brain is going "bluhhhh" at mapping so I decided to pull out the graphics tablet and try to learn some art but that things being a bastard and refuses to be pressure sensitive and I dunno why. T_T
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    No social life, converts caffeine into programming and has a tablet you never actually use? I er... don't know anybody like that. :LZSwink:

But honestly I kind of just want something to show people so I can hopefully get people at least kind of excited. So I'll just see what I can produce, and update it as I go. Of course now I need to do a lot of research into encryption so people don't just steal the assets/code.
    Riazey
    Riazey
    SPORKLE BEAM- !!!!! :kaopride:
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Accidentally zoomed the browser in on the forums page, here... and I think I'm going to just leave it. #OldPeopleProblems
Spooktober Spooktacular Game Jam Winners announcements start now! Live on stream! See who won!
so, I've begun the process of restructuring my game's base setup entirely after feeling disheartened with progress and talking to a friend. I think I'm headed in the right direction now.
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and I'm so excited! I've been exploring MZ a little, and I just downloaded Effekseer to make new animations. I have experience in 3D animation software, so I'll be pretty good at the whole "particle" thing. My first game on MZ will be Fantasy Force--starring a griffin, a dragon, and a pegasus fighting against the Dragon of Darkness.
currently listening to Driftwood Gaming streaming some MZ dev time and it's delightful! had no idea they were this entertaining, love it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zbzikowany