ImaginaryVillain
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• To help people get in the Christmas Spirit. :LZSwink: Now I kind of want to play Fallout... :LZSexcite:
    Reactions: standardplayer
    standardplayer
    standardplayer
    Isn't it funny? How Weird Al and Christmas always put you in the mood for Fallout? I experience a similar thing with Justin Beiber, Labor Day and Final Fantasy VII
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    It's completely understandable, Justin Bieber is enough to make anybody wish the nukes are on the way. :LZSwink:
    Spend 2 days trying to figure out what's wrong with my plugin's code. Discover MV's own system is returning it's built in CV # = Map X of this Event.... as 0. I thought I was going crazy! :o
    My favorite thing about this forum update is the artwork that makes Harold flying a giant puzzle piece while wielding a mallet canon to Harold lore. :hwink:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    @TheStranger Please! Yanfly's plugins are more like class C drugs. Everybody has them, they're relatively harmless and up until recently they weren't even regulated. The real darkest depths of RPGotham are home to the truly exotic Class A Plugins like Moghunter's....
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Legends say the Chrono Engine mixed with innocent class A plugins has ended the life of more RM projects than any other. Listen kids, don't mix strange plugins. :LZSsad:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    @Tw0Face You are brave to insult Hero Overlord Harold as it is now canon that he is flying overhead lobbing a Mjölnir Mallet at dissenters to his most holy and rightful rule. Do you really want to go back to that time when those monsters Lucius, Marsha, and Therese roamed free?! :o
    I just noticed that likes now say, "Reaction score".... You monsters! Now getting likes really is a game. XD
    Finnuval
    Finnuval
    Seems now you can even like replies in conversations... (at least I could Just now) so..... O.O
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Oh status "like farming" was very real, it was basically the "like meta" before the new look. Now they just gave it a new name to show what it truly represents. Hopefully they don't split the various like options into 6 categories, else we'll need a meta for each. xD
    Geez, 200 likes?! Mistakes were clearly made, now you'll never get rid of me! :LZScheeze:
    MV's a weird program, I deleted a lot of maps that I wasn't using anymore and set a transfer command to go to map 2....
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Worth noting I had to edit the MapInfos file and add it back in as just giving it a map 163 wasn't enough.
    FleshToDust
    FleshToDust
    Similarly, if you delete files, make sure you have no events that use them or you'll get an error. Played a lot of games where random events look for audio files that don't exist.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Yeah, thankfully I only spawn in events these days. So it's very rarely been an issue. I mean other than the time I switched all the sound effects some months after I started... Yeah that was fun and exciting. Yes... fun.... and... exciting...
    In open rebellion against all the back up your project posts, I won't backup my project again today! :LZSrasp:
    Poryg
    Poryg
    You infidel! May the Silicon Hell punish you for your insolence!
    Hyouryuu-Na
    Hyouryuu-Na
    I usually playtest every 5 minutes so the problem of losing progress because of not saving doesn't happen to me. But MV crashing and files being corrupt happens lot :) I usually make a backup every week. But recently because I haven't been productive, I haven't been backing up my project. Been a few months. I guess I won't lose anything if it goes corrupt now lol
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    @Hyouryuu-Na Yes, it will be fine.... Mwahahahahaha... *coughs* ...er... I mean nothing will go wrong. =D

@The Mighty Palm I lost myself to corruption long ago. Though my project is secretly safe, the joke is that I said again... Meaning I already backed it up once today. ;)

@Poryg I fix a friend's Windows 8 machine earlier today, does that count? Pretty certain it's a resident of a lower layer.
    So if I rig a randomly generated map to only update quadrants the player is in/nearby... I can vastly increase map size. :LZSexcite:
    Reactions: Wavelength
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    After a few hours of messing with the absolute mess of code I left for myself last night, I arrived at 80 or so lines of code and it works great! Early tests allow me to squeeze 700-800 events on a 100x100 map with 55-60 fps except when populating a region, then it falls to around 30 fps for 1-2 seconds.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    This is likely due to the sloppy repurposed room generation code I threw together last night. Still very solid results, previously around 200 events was where issues were happening. :LZSexcite:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    And if I trigger the events to simply unspawn once outside of range... It never bogs down, at over 2000 events it was still doing 60 fps with the 30 fps during generation. This has possibilities. :LZSgrin:
    140/320 maps updated with new region settings... This bottle of alcohol needs to be a lot bigger. :LZSskeptic:
    Reactions: Kauzz
    Wavelength
    Wavelength
    I generally try to have a good Trance Music mix lined up in advance for tasks like that - a stiff drink makes me too likely to make mistakes that I won't notice until much later.
    Shaz
    Shaz
    If this bottle of alcohol WERE a lot bigger, you would have some very ... er ... interesting ... maps by the time you got to 320!
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    @Wavelength Ha! You act like I need to be drinking to make mistakes. Oh wait... :LZSsad:

@Shaz Or really interesting maps up until maybe 260-280, messes till about 300 and a keyboard imprint on my face with 60 unfinished maps in the morning. :LZScheeze:
    Sometimes I ask myself the important questions, like can I use SRD Hudmaker as a message system? Spoiler yes, yes I can. :LZSexcite:
    Reactions: Shaz
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    The upside of the method is you can easily create and move text and pictures all over the screen. And change how they look, animate them or whatever. Weirdly if you put in the effort it's a very versatile message system.
    ReeledTiedBTH
    ReeledTiedBTH
    u can't use images to show me? @-@ me confused
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    I'd probably need to just make a thread to include all the pics due to the low character limit here. This is a pretty complicated and weird idea, you need http://sumrndm.site/hud-maker/ to try it. Personally I'd recommend that plugin anyway because it makes fantastic HUDs.
    I never really knew Common Events had all traits of the event that called them... So many wasted getSelfVariable commands. :LZSsad:
    I really, really like PVGames stuff, especially the characters. But the game's currently using FSM tilesets...
    Shaz
    Shaz
    Get them for your NEXT game
    Shaz
    Shaz
    then spend months fighting the urge to redo your game so you can use them sooner
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Oh I did... and I definitely am. xD

I did have the idea of potentially using FSM to represent an imaginary world and PVG's stuff to represent a more harsh real world. But I also run my own business so I might not have the free time for such a grandiose endeavor. Still if I don't use them in game, I'm definitely using them every game after. =D
    Ironically it wasn't until I disabled Yanfly's Stop Map Movement plugin that my events stopped moving during automatic events. :LZSskeptic:
    Reactions: The Stranger
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    I have no idea what kind of event sorcery/unholy plugin combination made it suddenly start doing that. But given that I started writing minor plugins of my own... Those are probably at fault. XD
    Creates a whole system to let the player build their own tile based maps. Scraps it because it's just such a gameplay disconnect. ;_;
    kirbwarrior
    kirbwarrior
    Well, you might not need literal depth. Remember that Terraria is in two dimension and your engine likely also is (mind, different dimensions which would make for a very different game). As for digging, that can just be one type of way to make a tile (changes it to a dig spot).
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Yeah I considered just having a different type of tile to represent each level of depth. Of course I'd also need a legend over to the side to show that since I couldn't visually show the depth.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    It's likely an idea for a later project though. I already have a fairly unique gameplay/combat given that my game essentially has no floor. So the only map I was letting them collect tiles to play with was basically the "status menu". I did enjoy building towns with them though.... Ironically more than I like actual mapping. XD
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Kes wrote on Chef's profile.
I have deleted your profile post as our Rules are quite clear that you may not use them to advertise non-RM products, nor may you give a link to anything that solicits payment for you.
140 Thousand words, take one down, toss it around, discover I hate the direction I went and decide to start a complete rewrite.
I like being a butt to people.
Dirtnap wrote on Tyler Warren's profile.
Hi Tyler,

My name is Sean, I am the owner of an indie studio, and I am looking to get some paid art work done. I am working with MV, but our programmer will be heavily modifying it.

If you are interested, or would like to hear more, I can provide my personal e-mail address.

S.G.
The stream will be live shortly with some more Witcher 3! Feel free to drop by~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BwadeZ