ImaginaryVillain
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• So I built a mini map for the randomly generated areas. It's basically a literal tiny version of what's happening on the map that updates as enemies move, and stuff gets dragged around. :LZSexcite:

Excuse the placeholder graphics on some stuff... I'm still drawing things. :kaoswt:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Still playing around with interface layouts and stuff, mostly numbers are just there while I figure out exactly how I want mechanics to play out. I'll be hiding most if not all of them later. Also likely drawing up some kind of graphics for it once I know what I need.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    I just came up with a great idea! Now the character portrait disintegrates as your health is reduced, and the comet behind her vanishes as her "light" (I'll come up with a better name eventually) resource diminishes. :LZSexcite:
    Huh... on a whim I decided to mess with MV's actual menu system.... I open and closed it 5 times rapidly on the map in my previous profile post, each time the game lost frames and after the 5th time it stuck at 0 FPS. Now I remember why I don't use it. :kaoswt:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    My roommate seems to think so, I told him if there is to ask it to turn up the "ghostly chill" to save on the air conditioning. :LZSwink:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    @?????? Yep, as vanilla as they come outside of changing window.png (same size as before, I just drew different graphics). I admit I didn't investigate the cause of this problem. I have my suspicions given how MV handles memory, and it's menu system. But that sounds like a lot of work for something I only opened on a whim.
    • Haha
    Reactions: ??????
    ??????
    ??????
    Yea, I plan to give this a little check today too if I can remember when I actually start doing work :D
    Each map has more circles... One does not question why one must have more circles! :kaolivid:

With over 100 different particle effects in my game so far... All I can hear in my head is Bane's voice saying, "Ah you think particles are your ally? You merely adopted the particle. I was born of them, molded by them. I didn't see the animations until I was already a man, by then they were nothing to me but bulky!" :LZSskeptic:
    //Puts on a hazmat.
    Alright, I have decided to stop ignoring my social media. :LZSskeptic:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    That's adorable, you think I'm going to read other people's stuff? Pfft no, I'm part of that 10% of people on Twitter who are just there to sell people something. :LZSwink:
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    Why would you do that? I've ignored social media all year, and my life has been so much better than people who don't as a result. No fear, no mobs of angry self-righteous twitter people shaming me for doing strenuous physical work all day long without a mask.

@ImaginaryVillain better than the 20% who are just there to threaten and dox people who make up 80% of all tweets posted on the site.
    Sigony
    Sigony
    Selling doesn’t need to be thought of as slimy, you can view it like you’re helping people have a fun experience and leading them to it, if they want it.
    You might want to watch it before you step into the deep end of this pool. :LZSwink:
    Been working on the area selection map for chapter 1 of my game. :kaopride:

It still randoms the space scene below the map which is still animated... Also the light placement is currently random as well. I might make it fixed for area selection maps though. Still random did pretty solid. :LZSexcite:
    So I was testing out an online map builder... Not going to lie, fifteen minutes in I had this with pixel perfect hit detection. Color me impressed, it took that little time to learn.

Also yeah I know it's fairly barren... their free option offered very few graphics. :kaocry:
    Celestrium
    Celestrium
    I was looking into World Anvil and Campfire Pro as well. The map making software, which are you using? I have campaign cartographer 3 but looking for an alternate, I don't like the interface really...
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Both of the maps were made using the free options at https://inkarnate.com/ Though of course the lighting on the first one is just dynamic lighting using the Community Lighting plugin. Inkarnate is $5 a month, or $25 a year to use. Though given that they allow commercial usage and provide thousands of assets... Seems like a steal to me. Their free options are quite limited though.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    I can't say I've looked into Campfire Pro, though I did end up picking up World Anvil. It just seemed like a fantastic way to sort my notes. While providing additional exposure and a site people could visit to see my work. At least when I'm finished with it. I definitely gave them the $40 a year to keep stuff private.
    Still hard at work adding all of my notes to my World Anvil. Turns out there are almost 70,000 words in those notes... Super glad I decided to do this, it's doing wonders for my organization and the game's direction. :LZSexcite: Plus when I'm done I'll effectively have a website for my game to link people to. :kaopride:
    zzmmorgan
    zzmmorgan
    I looked at World Anvil a couple years ago I think but didn't think I'd truly use it. But I may bookmark it as who knows.....
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Honestly I wished I'd started by making one, even before picking up MV so long ago. It's quite helpful to have a way to sort stuff, plus the various prompts and links it creates makes writing stuff a lot easier. Which I've found to really solidify the direction of my game, instead of just the general idea I've had up to this point.
    So apparently World Anvil is actually 30% off at the moment... After watching half a hour of videos and playing with their software for another half hour... Yep, I'm in. Time to make my very own private wiki full of secret world building knowledge. :LZSexcite:
    Reactions: Hyouryuu-Na
    Sigony
    Sigony
    I like Scrivener
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    It looks okay, but really what I liked about World Anvil was the very visual nature of it. I've tried more text oriented methods of sorting but it just doesn't quite mesh with my thought process.
    Sigony
    Sigony
    Whatever works, gangsta
    Somewhere I messed something up and it's giving garbage image lookups... This one is my favorite though.

Today I learned my game apparently doesn't use any .png files. :kaoback:
    Hyouryuu-Na
    Hyouryuu-Na
    Oh no XD
    • Haha
    Reactions: Dalph
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    So the problem came up because I forgot how poorly MV's global variables handle arrays. I ran into this problem ages ago, at the time I just thought they returned inconsistent values. Now I know they don't always parse correctly. So it may return any portion of the array on a query, sometimes even the whole array.
    Reactions: Dalph
    rux
    rux
    That Loading Error messages is my sleep paralysis demon

Finally! I've been puzzling over why it wasn't working for two days now. Turns out all of my calculations were correct, I just forgot to give some events hitboxes. :kaoswt: Now my randomly generated maps check for collision errors, and move stuff around in real time if they finds any. :LZSexcite:
    Hyouryuu-Na
    Hyouryuu-Na
    At this point you can make your own game engine XD
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Haha maybe. Though I'm still so reliant on other people's plugins that to share such a thing with others I'd almost need to just make a bunch of YouTube videos explaining how to do stuff. Also give them my creator plugin... Whose true claim to fame is it's a fantastic memory manager, without which MV/MZ can't run my game. I don't think people on average would even understand what it's doing. :kaoswt:
    KazukiT
    KazukiT
    You definitely are very expressive with your coding based on what you are able to do with it. I do agree with @Hyouryuu-Na you could almost make your own engine. We could call it RPG Maker IV XP
    I really get the feeling I should be doing regular YouTube videos whenever I make something cool in my game, instead of waiting for massive changes. But not going to lie... I always feel like it's never quite enough to merit an update, until it's a drastic change. :kaoswt:
    Sigony
    Sigony
    I would look at other successful game dev YouTubers like Randall and come up with the laziest possible content strategy that incorporates what they do well, and see how I could add my own spin to it.

He has a narrative pulling interest forward in his videos, and he makes dumb jokes as a meme which makes it cool.
    Sigony
    Sigony
    he does rather infrequent updates too, but he live-streams as well
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Haha, I didn't even think about it as looking for the laziest possible content strategy. But it makes sense, the easier the content is to produce the more frequently I can do so. Really the thing that I'm considering is that I need to build hype to advertise anyway... So building a YouTube just makes some degree of sense. Hmm.... I guess I'll focus more on it for a bit.
    Reactions: Sigony

230 paths... roughly 250 light sources on the screen... One serious lag fiesta... But I finally got it all the screen at once. I guess I could have also just made an event to spawn each one in exactly the location I needed, but that's sooo much less fun. :LZSwink:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    One idea was to make the player draw the permanent power up to the portal out instead of just leaving. The paths actually can grab objects and pull them with. Which is how you can lead stuff to the exit, including NPCs who will follow along the paths. Which is of course partially where they get their name. I have that already made with a sample NPC that can be rescued on every test map.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Also I've got multiple keys that appear and have to be dragged to the portal location to open the exit. So the current test game flow is; collect power ups while dragging 3 keys to the portal, save the quest NPC by getting them to the open portal, and if you still have time drag any permanent upgrades to the exit. Currently the map is basically gone in a minute and thirty seconds.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    I'll almost certainly be randomizing those goals, and varying them up... But just for testing that's the current setup. I might also make people fight mini bosses, and actual bosses on disintegrating maps. But I'll probably include a way for the player to move on to new maps during those fights to keep ahead of their death.

I've been experimenting with improved memory management again, which allowed me to include items to increase player path length. These are both 44 grid spaces long, and stable. :LZSexcite:
    Hyouryuu-Na
    Hyouryuu-Na
    Ik unfortunately it has flaws that prevents me from using it :")
    Ooh both seem very complex for RM :0
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    I mean have you seen the game I'm current working on? I don't mind complex. :LZSwink: The first idea is actually very easy in it's most basic form. Make two maps, then create a transfer command that tracks the player's X,Y then moves them to the other map. And just use switches/variables to change events based on what the player's accomplished. I of course would use particles to do crazy things with it.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    The second one is basically a swap between two character sheets, one's just a shadow. I'd play a particle effect to make them look like they morphed into the other. Then I'd just make events have different hit boxes based on what state they're in. And use black particles to create fake shadows. :LZSwink: Not going to lie... I may not have been born into the Particle, but I have adopted it. :LZScool:
    Success, my character has harnessed the power of the particle, and now she leaves a speed streak.:kaopride:

I'm breaking up with QSprite. :kaolivid:
    I'm a bit conflicted. One the one hand, it's quite visually cool to make bodies of water that the player can interact with by going into it. However obscuring the player character from a gameplay perspective is pretty bad. Hmm... There's the option to make the area around the player visible, but then that kind of defeats the purpose of submerging them. :unsure:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Thanks! I've got a game thread here if you want to see it. :LZSexcite:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    I'll likely just end up testing both and see what I like best. I've already been messing around with it. My last YouTube video with my WIP boss fight had the water depth on. It didn't drastically effect stuff. But it didn't really add anything either. I'll have to slow stuff down a fair amount to really make it not just a visual obstacle to the player.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    @l8rose I'll definitely look into it, thanks for the advice. :LZSexcite: I'll tinker around with it. It will definitely be a challenge, but worth it if the gameplay is better. Though at this point I might be willing to sacrifice some of the beloved graphics for gameplay. I mean it's a game not an art gallery, even if I think I'd be way better at making an art gallery. :kaoswt:
    Reactions: Dororo
    And then I figured out a way to doing a "regular animation" that's affected by PIXI particles. So now each frame of the animation gets particle effects. Soon my dreams of a world without QSprite will be realized. :kaopride:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    PIXI Particles aren't locked to layers 1,3,4, in fact I use layers -30 to 100. This allows me to create the illusion of depth by making layers appear above or below the player at varying z coordinates.

So what I've been experimenting with is creating multi frame animations by swapping PIXI particles on the fly. If I can....
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    ...successfully do it in a way that's not too resource intensive but completely replace the QSprite animations, then I won't be bound to layers 1,3,4 and the restrictions of normie things like solid spritesheets. :LZSexcite:
    Hyouryuu-Na
    Hyouryuu-Na
    Oh I see :0 Thanks for explaining ^^
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

does there exist a word for a state of being that is between "living" and (not "dead", but ...) "not living" .... does that make sense, or do I just sound like Im high for something :[ ?
Hope you are all fine today~
Moderators, you must have so much patience to be able to deal with everything. I mod in a server of sorts and today we just got a message, which, despite it's helpful constructive criticism, basically stated that all of the mods were jerks and that was the only reason our server was unlikeable. So, thank you, for having patience. You are appreciated! :kaoluv:
Haired slime? Trying some different styles of art. Maybe I can make some resources with this new kind of painting.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shivamgiri