ImaginaryVillain
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• I thought they were dead, but I wanted to be certain. :kaoback:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Oh don't you worry... I'll come for everybody's eyes when they see how animated it all is. :LZSwink:
    • Haha
    Reactions: Dalph
    Black Pagan
    Black Pagan
    Its too bright, Consider using a Dark Filter and some Lighting at certain places to highlight the main event.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    I may darken the colors of some individual graphics. Though the particular area is supposed to be a super bright fun land. It's to contrast with the nightmarish areas later. I'll all randomly generated, so it's not really an important event or anything, just random mobs attacking a random area. I may try and free up enough resources for a lighting plugin again. Stuff is so animated though, so it will be tough.

So I came up with a new look for the paths, and along the way realized health bars are so overrated, so now a crazy red light trail follows her and gets shorter as her life decreases. :LZSexcite:
    • Wow
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain

Actually I might like this one better. =O
    Dalph
    Dalph
    Yeah, less flashy.
    Admit it, with all your colours, rainbows, glitter and flash effects, your true goal is quite obvious here.
    You are trying to hipnotize all the poor players that will play your game, forcing them to join your cult afterwards.
    As a fellow villain, it's my duty to expose you.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    You've figured me out! Oh no! My master plan to make the game so shiny and mesmerizing that you can't stop playing is ruined! And I could have gotten away with it if it was for those pesky RMers and their Dalph! :kaoback:
    • Haha
    Everybody else: We want this, this, this, this, this, and this, and don't forget that, plus that.... we need all of it added to the new RM.

Me: Just don't make me learn a new programming language. :kaoback:
    Poryg
    Poryg
    I wouldn't exactly mind learning a new programming language if it brought some notable gain. C/C++ would give us endless possibilities of customizability, even though multiplatformness would be kind of difficult. Still, the only thing I'd want is a performant and readable engine. Language is less relevant.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Mostly it just increases future development time of my projects to introduce a new language. Especially after making so many in house plugins for what's there. That's really my problem with them changing languages. Even if it produces a better product, it's the same reason I don't switch to Unity or Game Maker. Time cost versus benefits.
    Poryg
    Poryg
    Well, that's why people generally stick to older versions of their RMs too when they are underway with the project.
    I think I'll just clean up the portion of my tools plugin that handles "hot event on event interaction", along with player/ event interactions and release it so people can use it. The only real question is do I include array tools as well? I mean I did write my event interactions to accept arrays, and compare them against other arrays. Am I that nice? I might need more caffeine to be that nice. :kaoswt:
    I decided to rework my main character's portrait and logo at the same time....

Honestly I was going to use a lot more yellow in the game along with red and white to represent characters.... But yellow really is just like.... the ugliest color in the color pie. So er... I'm going to use blues/purples in place of it. :LZSwink:
    On the plus side, if all this rioting sparks another Covid outbreak... I will have a whole lot of time to work on my game. Not exactly how I wanted to get that time, but hey I'm a glass is half full... of RM kind of guy. :LZSwink:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    What is this super serious stuff doing in my profile post that's a shrine to Corona Chan, the great Riot stopper? :kaolivid:
    standardplayer
    standardplayer
    I deleted my two posts, sorry if it's too real for you. It's just the riots are happening, and someone did try to burn my workplace down, and I do care about the people that work there, and I don't want any of us to be hurt. Besides, the thing you're not being serious about is obviously serious to some people. That's what the super serious stuff was doing here.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    I'm only kidding man. It was supposed to get a laugh. Obviously I don't care if you post super serious stuff in my profile posts. Sorry to hear about your work. :kaoswt:
    In the strangest turn of events, my animations now live in the characters folder, and my character images now live in the pictures folder. It's a complicated world, but weirdly a more resource efficient one. :LZSexcite:
    3am me was like.... Hey buddy, what if I told you, where we're going we don't need events? :LZSwink:
    5pm me is like.... Was 3am me onto something? No! Must work on actual gameplay! Rabbit hole bad! :kaoback:
    Riazey
    Riazey
    THE RABBITHOLE.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Haha, in truth my graphics plugin can already replace all the non-animated graphics in my game... It just causes a weird graphical glitch occasionally. I need to lockdown exactly how MV prioritizes which graphic is displayed over which at the tilemap level. It's all PIXI... which supports hit detection. Yeah... going to hard to finish my game anytime soon if I do that. :LZSwink:
    Reactions: Riazey
    It was at 3am Pacific May 25 that Skynet was created. And it came in the form of a messenger plugin so powerful it now runs my randomizer and does it better than the randomizer itself did. What have I created? :kaoback:
    • Haha
    Reactions: The Stranger
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    If someone from the future comes to off me, it was because of this plugin. So at least you'll know why I disappeared if I'm suddenly gone from the forum. :LZSwink:
    standardplayer
    standardplayer
    Well, there is one way we can fix this, but you aren't gonna like it. Someone has to go back in time and....meet one of your parents....
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Listen it's got to be done, otherwise eventually all RM games will join the Skynet plugin revolution! :kaoback:
    It wasn't until recently I discovered my game was seriously lacking a "morality challenged" jester. Every game should have one, what could go wrong? :LZSexcite:
    I've had to make so many fixes to plugins to deal with memory holes... Don't people know I'm the only one allowed to do shoddy programming? :kaolivid:
    standardplayer
    standardplayer
    What? Using lots of global types and having 40+ references to an object in a function with a nested loop that goes on after it meets the conditions you're checking for will lead to memory leaks?
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Really I think the biggest problem is none of this stuff was written assuming anybody would spawn/despawn a crazy number of events. Stuff like QMovement just leaves it's colliders in memory until a map transfer even after the event is gone. All of the event spawners just count up forever on event numbers. Lots of little stuff like that. I will beat it all into submission eventually. :kaoback:
    I never realized what an overwhelming resource hog plugin parameters are. I mean sure if you just use them occasionally... No worries. But I tried using them for my map generator.... From 60FPS to crashing after about a minute due to CPU usage. :kaoback: I might remove plugin parameters from other people's plugins I'm using for optimization.
    • Wow
    Reactions: Guardinthena
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Yeah I load them into an object at the start and call the properties of it. It's really just the extreme nature of my bubble map randomizer. It's spawning in the world, and removing the world that's too far from the player. It even remembers what it removed if you walk backwards. Unfortunately it needs to run a lot create the illusion of a solid world. So even a minor thing like plugin params can be a problem.
    Riazey
    Riazey
    IV's world is on drugs in more ways that one.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    As I was telling someone else, if your first thought isn't, "We can't stop here, it's bat country!" I didn't do my job. :LZSwink:
    Spent so much of today battling with my potato of a computer to successfully capture my new map generator in action. :kaoback:

Kes
    Kes
    But take consolation from knowing that players without a high end machine won't be precluded from playing your game = wider audience! I always test my games on low end machines to make sure they are as accessible as possible.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    That's fair. Definitely going to make it hard to do videos to showcase it though. I had to turn off the mobs for this. The actual game only uses 700-900mb of RAM, but I need to further optimize the CPU usage. Javascript's crappy single core architecture likes to spike usage of individual cores. So if a core it's using and one OBS is using coincide, it causes a second or two of lag in the video. :kaoswt:
    Well I was about to do game dev work today, but then a random cave appeared. How can I not explore it? :kaoswt:

ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    I swear I'll never understand the whole Game Jam thing... I mean if I'm going to spend a month working on a game, I want it to be the actual game I'm making and not something just to make something.
    Guardinthena
    Guardinthena
    I believe their meant as an exercise experiment. Something to help poeple to get motovated and push themselves to finish something. Gain valuable experience and improve. Plus, that No Travel Game Jam was offering a badge that I wanted--and didnt get. But I'm going to go for the Review badge before the month is over.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Probably fair, I just take a very long approach to stuff. I'm not starting any other game until this is finished. Which will likely take the rest of the year.
    Isn't my new hoodie sweet? I just don't get why nobody wants to let me in their house. :LZSteary:

Sometimes I think code clean up day is my favorite day. I mean I do it for my plugins all the time, but usually I pick once a month and do it for my RM code. It really helps reveal a lot of random problems/stupid mistakes. Plus I end up vastly improving stuff I haven't looked at in awhile. :LZSexcite:
    • Love
    Reactions: SpaceBot
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Anything abandoned i obviously cut. I also look through and see if it's absolutely necessary or if I can redo the system to not need them. Or even better if I can push it to a plugin for increased efficiency. Most of my stuff is pretty organized since I do this every month so it really takes less time than you'd think.
    Wavelength
    Wavelength
    Sounds like a really good process! Thanks for sharing your cleanup tips. :)
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Sure thing. :LZSexcite:
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

lunarrosecrow wrote on hiddenone's profile.
please don't lurk hiddenone I'm quarantining!!!
lunarrosecrow wrote on Edward.T's profile.
Hello Edward sorry to bother you and didn't start a conversation cause I thought i'd be a little weird or disrespectful but I was wondering do you still have your Generator resources you posted as the links on the page are dead?
Stream will be live shortly! It is my birthday, and thus I am doing an extended stream! I will be doing a variety of things. Among the activities I will be doing: Playing Oceanhorn: Monster of the Uncharted Seas, art, and some Text Adventure~ Feel free to drop by!
It would be cool if you could "copy as code" event commands :< .
Just managed to recover my Yahoo e-mail that i lost 3 months ago. Turns out an IP from U.S had hacked it and set the pass back to normal.. Like WTF ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HannyBee21