Jaymonius
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Help is hard to find these days. >_>;;;;
    HexMozart88
    HexMozart88
    What exactly is the error? I'm usually decent at getting through them unless it's one of those scripts that don't go with anything.
    Jaymonius
    Jaymonius
    It's on Pixel Game Maker. Know anything about that one? :p
    HexMozart88
    HexMozart88
    Heard of it, but never actually used it. I figured it was one of the RPG Makers.
    Slowly getting more and more used to using Asesprite now! This will change everything in my spriting... stuff. :p
    Scythuz
    Scythuz
    Aseprite is awesomeee
    Don't cha hate making those certain dungeons that you don't like until you realize you reach that point in your game? >_<;;;
    11PM, I has the munchies... time to make a trip to somewhere... but then you ask yourself... where? Such a major puzzler!
    I need a new mouse... bad... XD
    Man... making a game in the style of how Octopath Traveller looks, would be my ideal game. ^_^
    Sharm
    Sharm
    *looks it up* . . . Woah. What a strange combination of 3D and pixel art. I like it.
    Ryzler
    Ryzler
    Oh wow! It looks so amazing! Does it use any 3D models or anything, or is just styled to look like it?
    Whew! Bout' halfway done a cutscene event. What's the longest cutscene event ya'll made? (How long does it playout?) :p
    Reactions: Daena Grey
    bgillisp
    bgillisp
    12 minutes. Took the entire day to make.
    Epitaph
    Epitaph
    I typically try to keep my cutscenes short but I think the longest was around 7 minutes.
    Don't cha hate it when you're stuck working on a dungeon for more than 2/3 weeks? X_X;
    Reactions: Verdelite
    Verdelite
    Verdelite
    Ughh I hate dungeons :kaodes: Maybe take a break by working on something else a bit before continuing? I know I get burnt out when I don't >_<
    taarna23
    taarna23
    I've spent some months trying create code to get my dungeons to make themselves. It's... getting there, I guess?
    Workin' on a Arachne monster sprite, I gotta seperate the human part and spider part then make em' together on GraphicsGale. XD
    So! How often do you all run away in battles? And if you don't, what is your opinion about getting into battles you can't run away from? Opinions? :3
    Sharm
    Sharm
    This is a question better suited for General Discussion.
    Wavelength
    Wavelength
    Honestly, this deserves its own topic in Game Mechanics Design; it's something that would be worth being able to fully discuss, reply, and leave a record of for people to find for future advice.

Succinctly, though, here's how I normally act as a player:

• If it's very obvious I can't win a battle (e.g. I'm very low on HP and lacking ways to heal), I will run.
    • If the enemy party doesn't present a threat, AND it will either take a long time (>2 turns) to wipe them out or I simply don't find battling/winning to be satisfying, I will run (unless it's harder to escape than to simply kill everything).

I personally have no problem with having a system where you cannot run from battles - it presents a clear dichotomy of "win or die" (or at least "win or lose" if there is no Game Over), and necessitates proper preparation and management of resources throughout a dungeon/map.

If there is an option to Run, my favorite way to handle it is to inflict some cost for Running (e.g. the enemies can take one free turn to hit you, or you lose a small amount of items/money) but avoid relying on the RNG to determine success.  Short of that, I would still rather have an RNG-based Escape (preferably with average chances over 50%) than a certain Escape with no cost/penalty.  After all, if you can Escape without penalty whenever you want to, it completely decimates any sense of danger (and thus intensity) that the player can feel.  However, a lot of people apparently do like the certain, no-cost Escape, usually reasoning that if they don't want to do battles right now, they shouldn't have to.
    Sharm
    Sharm
    Either way, doesn't work for a status update.  Locking.
    Working on a huge city in muh game. And I've begun to realize that I do not like making NPC's... :p
    Thalzon
    Thalzon
    "Wanna talk GAME MECHANICS, traveller?"

>Yes

>Yes
    AwesomeCool
    AwesomeCool
    "Hey you! Do you want to help me in this completely tedious task?"

NO

"Seriously though..."

NO

"Seriously though..."

...fine...yes

"Woah!  Don't get that excited!"

ALTERED STATE ?
    ALTERED STATE ?
    "Do you want to join Team Rocket?"
    What are your thoughts of enemy encounters being able to do critical hits with their special attacks that will do harm to your sanity? :D
    Blindga
    Blindga
    "Crit to sanity" sounds a little silly, unless you mean a critical hit will cause mind damage, which I could understand. I'm not sure if it's something I'd tie to a critical hit that any monster could do, but rather an ability or skill the monster uses that has effect by default.

In the Cthulhu and Arkham Horror games, how much sanity damage a monster deals is fixed to the monster's stats and there is little random to it; either the monster is scary or it isn't. If I recall correctly at least.

In Mansion of Madness (game), some enemies have attacks that cause sanity damage even if you roll successfully/block the attack, so there's another idea.
    Jaymonius
    Jaymonius
    It was mostly a figure a speech. :p  Just what does one thing of about enemies having critical hits with their special attacks?
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I feel that I should cut down on my order queue so I can get some more time for my projects, its been quite a longggg while since I worked on them LOL
I friend of mine insisted on practicing dubbing things with him... and its quite funny, yet, it really takes a huge amount of practice!
Gotta save this for my next thread later...
Finsh all of the walking dead game in a week, such an amazing emotional trip
I really need to stop sidetracking sometimes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waybinary