Last Activity:
Nov 19, 2019 at 4:48 AM
Birthday:
Oct 7, 1987 (Age: 32)

Share This Page

Kaelan

Veteran, Male, 32, from Seattle, USA

Veteran

This game is over 20 years old but is still my go-to reference point for dark fantasy atmosphere ydrQRKbZA2M Sep 20, 2019

Kaelan was last seen:
Nov 19, 2019 at 4:48 AM
    1. Kaelan
      Kaelan
      This game is over 20 years old but is still my go-to reference point for dark fantasy atmosphere
      1. Kaelan
        Kaelan
        Also interesting to think about: the graphics and general gameplay are well within what can be done with something like RM, and weren't particularly impressive even then.

But the incredible writing and voice acting (and the sound effects & music, to a lesser extent) have a way of drawing you in in ways very few games can, especially from that era.
        Sep 20, 2019
        The Stranger likes this.
      2. Kaelan
        Kaelan
        It's amazing how much having the right "atmosphere" changes how you experience a game.
        Sep 20, 2019
        The Stranger likes this.
      3. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        Blood Omen. <3 I love this game so much. I also love the second one, even if it is more linear than the first.
        Sep 20, 2019
    2. Kaelan
      Kaelan
      Some early WIP footage of the game I've been working on:
      1. View previous comments...
      2. atoms
        atoms
        I only had a glimpse of it, but it definitely is looking really good so far!
        Jul 5, 2019
      3. Plueschkatze
        Plueschkatze
        Looks like a really lovingly crafted game and I love what you did for the menu and skills at the bottom.
        Jul 5, 2019
        atoms likes this.
      4. Paladin
        Paladin
        But how? What plugins have you used?.. How did you change your battle to main screen instead of different one? How did you change UI? Inventory?.. Just.. How? Not a clue. I simply do not understand how you did this with PRGMaker.
        Jul 12, 2019
        atoms likes this.
    3. Kaelan
      Kaelan
      Interesting talk. I love the idea of games as a way to communicate ideas you can't quite express in words.
    4. Kaelan
      Kaelan
    5. Kaelan
      Kaelan
      The following script is a work of fiction. Vars are used in a purely fictitious manner. Any resemblance to real code is purely coincidental.
      1. Marsigne likes this.
      2. Marsigne
        Marsigne
        Sounds like it'd fit. :D
        Dec 12, 2018
    6. Kaelan
      Kaelan
      Don't forget to proofread your game! English is a complicated language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
      1. OmnislashXX
        OmnislashXX
        And that is why many games fall to obscurity. The developer will leave so many grammar and spelling mistakes that people will think that It's poorly designed. Take up the spellchecker folks!
        Dec 9, 2018
      2. Tw0Face
        Tw0Face
        I had to check with Google Translate to be sure I got the pun. xD
        Dec 9, 2018
    7. Kaelan
      Kaelan
      When you decide to spend the holiday working on your game and actually get something done: https://i.imgur.com/lKEXjQ7.png
      1. Kwerty and Finnuval like this.
    8. Kaelan
      Kaelan
      Working on using CastleDB with MV instead of the editor's normal database. Really liking it so far, it's going to save me a lot of time.
    9. Kaelan
      Kaelan
      Saw the Detective Pikachu trailer....I think need to lie down.
    10. Kaelan
      Kaelan
      Ended up just implementing MV plugin loading from arbitrary file paths myself. Was actually less work than expected.
    11. Kaelan
      Kaelan
      Late night game dev tunes
    12. Kaelan
      Kaelan
      Message windows, take 2. This time with 100% more speech bubbles.
      1. Tw0Face, Wavelength and Sauteed_Onion like this.
      2. IAmJakeSauvage
        IAmJakeSauvage
        Huge improvement. Good job.
        May 19, 2018
        Sauteed_Onion likes this.
      3. Wavelength
        Wavelength
        NI!! It's starting to look really good. The names are extremely hard to read against the border of the message box; everything else looks great!!
        May 20, 2018
    13. Kaelan
      Kaelan
      Working on message windows. This took longer to make than I thought it would
      2. Wavelength
        Wavelength
        I think it would look better if the portraits can take up more vertical space of the message box, and of course you want to color the box background for higher contrast. But as far as implementing your system in general - that looks great, and congrats on pulling it off!
        May 18, 2018
      3. Plueschkatze
        Plueschkatze
        Looks great, really unique. It's getting hard to read with compression, so this game might not be a good fit for let's players etc, especially such that are starting out and have no idea on how to proper setup stuff ;) Wavelength might be right about getting more contrast between font and textbox.
        May 18, 2018
        Wavelength likes this.
      4. Kaelan
        Kaelan
        You're both right on that. I hadn't really spent any time looking into font settings, just wanted to make the animations work.

I worked on it a bit more and also decided to do message bubbles instead of the normal RM way of doing dialogue.
        May 19, 2018
    14. Kaelan
      Kaelan
      A wild menu appears!
      1. BloodletterQ
        BloodletterQ
        Did this entirely on your own?
        May 15, 2018
      2. Kaelan
        Kaelan
        I've been writing all the code for it over the last several weeks, yes. I'm using a few plugins to save myself time, but most of it is from scratch
        May 18, 2018
    15. Kaelan
      Kaelan
      My life right now
      1. Mystic_Enigma
        Mystic_Enigma
        Yep, that pretty much sums things up!
        May 11, 2018
    16. Kaelan
      Kaelan
      Hmm, kind of bothers me that all the default code is packed in so few files. I wonder if there's an easy way to reorganize things a bit? Searching through a 7000 .js file is bleh
      2. nio kasgami
        nio kasgami
        yeah they puts a lots of thing's in the sames thing's but I less likes the thing's "all packaged in few super bigs files" I will have to correct this :/
        Oct 23, 2015
      3. Harold Ã…llaberg
        Harold Ã…llaberg
        I hated that at first, but now I'm used to it. I'd rather have everything in a few files separated by type. It does take a day or two to get used to where everything is and understanding how it works. I'm glad they kept the naming conventions from RGSS to make it easier to adapt.
        Oct 23, 2015
      4. Shaz
        Shaz
        Yeah, it's pretty huge to go through. You could break them up yourself - it'd be a bit of a job, and repeated whenever there were updates, but it'd make it easier to check just a single class.
        Oct 23, 2015
    17. Kaelan
      Kaelan
      Thinking about writing a Tatical RPG engine for MV. Is this something people would be interested in using?
      2. Niten Ichi Ryu
        Niten Ichi Ryu
        Yes. Yes. Yes. YES!!!
        Oct 1, 2015
      3. T.Bit
        T.Bit
        Please sir or madam.
        Oct 1, 2015
      4. Kaelan
        Kaelan
        @Neo Yeah, ideally it would support any kind of turn-based strategy RPG game. So you could make Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics or D&D style games with it.
        Oct 1, 2015
    18. Kaelan
      2. Kaelan
        Kaelan
        No no, you're perfectly on track. As a wise man once said:

"The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time."
        Sep 22, 2015
      3. Clord
        Clord
        If only developing a such features would be that cheap.
        Sep 22, 2015
      4. Nathanial
        Nathanial
        I like how "quality voice acting" only adds $500 USD. Cute.
        Sep 22, 2015
    19. Kaelan
      Kaelan
    20. Kaelan
      Kaelan
      Interesting article about game audiences. Very relevant to anyone trying to get on Steam:
      1. Marsigne
        Marsigne
        Nice :)
        Aug 25, 2015
        1 person likes this.
  • About

Birthday:
    Oct 7, 1987 (Age: 32)
    First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A