Labyrinthine

Artist/ Developer, Male, 37, from Labyronia

Veteran

Working again with enthusiasm! Jan 22, 2019

Labyrinthine was last seen:
Aug 21, 2019
    1. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      I'm having so much fun developing my current game! Smaller projects can be refreshing. Not nearly as much pressure on its completion.
      1. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        100% agree. :)
        Mar 16, 2018
    2. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      Trying to develop games and fight against true evil aka psychopaths at the same time. At least they provide ideas for my fantasy world.
      1. Matseb2611 and starlight dream like this.
      2. starlight dream
        starlight dream
        If I was gutsier, I'd put that in my signature! :p

Are they after you online or in reality?
        Mar 15, 2018
      3. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        I shouldn't have any after me at the moment. But they've been trying to kill me a couple of times IRL. That's why I don't exactly like them too much.
        Mar 16, 2018
      4. starlight dream
        starlight dream
        dayum, I didn't think you were being so serious. Sorry about that. It's such a crazy world. Be careful!!
        Mar 16, 2018
    3. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      Development hell on...
    4. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      I'm so happy now. Got the first "masterpiece" comment for my latest game Labyronia Elements! There's just something about that word :)
      1. Matseb2611
        Matseb2611
        Those positive comments (especially when a fan contacts you personally to tell them) are worth all those hours we put into making our games. Each one of those is worth more than a hundred of negative comments. :)
        Mar 9, 2018
      2. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        Absolutely agreed.
        Mar 9, 2018
        Matseb2611 likes this.
      3. Kes
        Kes
        Comments like that have been a real motivator for me to keep creating. Knowing that people appreciate all the hard work makes such a difference.
        Mar 9, 2018
        dreamfall887 and Matseb2611 like this.
    5. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      What Switch game to buy next? Xenoblade 2 or Mario Odyssey? I've been utterly hooked to BotW, but gotta get some other game next month.
      1. View previous comments...
      2. NeoFantasy
        NeoFantasy
        Oddyssey’s pltforming was solid, but the worlds disappointed me somewhat.

Xenoblade 2 has been great. The voice acting’a a bit ehh~ sometimes, but aside from that it’s a good buy.

And while the world is big it isn’t opened like Breath, Instead it’s separated into smaller sections that you unlock as you progress through the game, so it’s Much easier to manage.
        Feb 19, 2018
      3. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        @NeoFantasy
        Yeah, I played through the first Xenoblade on the Wii. One of the best RPG:s for sure, so I've got high expectations on this one :)
        Feb 19, 2018
        GolfHacker and NeoFantasy like this.
      4. NeoFantasy
        NeoFantasy
        It won’t disappoint you. The combat got a nice upgrade and the characters are solid.
        Feb 19, 2018
        GolfHacker likes this.
    6. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      Anyone here got the feeling you've already completed your main game and will never achieve something like it again?
      1. Soul Tech likes this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. Soul Tech
        Soul Tech
        I understand you because i maked some games years ago, their dont are my childhood like concept but was great projects for me, and before that years (i was younger) the brainstorm got a little "hard" but dont surrender or give up on the creation process... the point is what @starlight dream
        say a few years down the road you'll have different experiences.
        Im waiting for the original concept.
        Feb 18, 2018
        starlight dream likes this.
      4. starlight dream
        starlight dream
        @Labyrinthine I didn't realize your concept started so early in your life. It's great that you were able to materialize it. Congrats! :) Are you planning more games in the same world?
        @Soul Tech And it's good if you feel positive about the games you made!^^ You know it's possible to make them, it's encouraging and you can feel you achieved that as a dev.
        Feb 18, 2018
        dreamfall887 and Soul Tech like this.
      5. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        @starlight dream Yep, the series could still have three games :) Remains to be seen whether they ever see the light of day, though.
        Feb 18, 2018
        Soul Tech and starlight dream like this.
    7. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      I still don't like the fact I took minor FF VII influence for my first game. If I could do it again, I would do so many things different.
      1. S.Court
        S.Court
        I don't see too much trouble with it, the games we consume tend to create an influence and reference of the work we make. That depends of how much influence it had, but in general there's not much trouble with that (at least in my opinnion)
        Feb 15, 2018
      2. JtheDuelist
        JtheDuelist
        Nothing wrong with that- my RPG, Downfall FES, was sparked from the random idea one night of "What if there was a BioShock or Fallout-like game that was a family-friendly (T or under) JRPG instead or a FPS or whatever?"...
        Feb 15, 2018
    8. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      OK, so I have two projects on the works now. I can't help myself, I just have to try the Dungeon Crawling genre!
      1. dreamfall887 and starlight dream like this.
      2. FleshToDust
        FleshToDust
        Dungeon crawlers are awesome! Leave the princess in another castle for a minute and check out this cave. We gotta battle some epic bosses and set off some traps!
        Feb 13, 2018
        dreamfall887 and starlight dream like this.
      3. Sauteed_Onion
        Sauteed_Onion
        I didn't get into iron Man mode for some reason.. I always save scummed. Not sure why as it kind of took away from enjoyment to reload for hours on end trying to avoid the outcome of of some obviously difficult for a reason battle. Meow.
        Feb 13, 2018
      4. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        But I figured out a new way to do something... he heee!
        Feb 13, 2018
        starlight dream and Llareian like this.
    9. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      Why do I feel that 90% of people put the graphics before anything else? For me it's the music, I like listening OST:s even without the games
      1. Raol likes this.
      3. Suv
        Suv
        Exactly as Matseb said. You'd never guess how interesting Undertale's story is just by looking at it's (leaving much to be desired honestly) graphics.
        Feb 12, 2018
        Raol and Matseb2611 like this.
      4. starlight dream
        starlight dream
        While playing a game music is very important.
        When it's terrible I turn it off. Graphics can't be turned off though:p
        Bad music lowers the experience even with good visuals. I'm not difficult with graphics in general.

@Raol I don't hate all hd graphics but I dislike when companies use them as "main feature" of a game. Sometimes the gameplay sucks but we're supposed to pay lots of $ and be awed by pretty images? Nah.
        Feb 13, 2018
        Raol likes this.
      5. FleshToDust
        FleshToDust
        For me gameplay is the only thing that matters. Graphically It could look like tic tac toe and musically anything as long as it's not annoying but if the gameplay is deep, tactical with different choices then it's my game of the year.
        Feb 13, 2018
        Labyrinthine and Raol like this.
    10. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      I suddenly want to do a dungeon crawler! Maybe just some small game to test the genre.
      1. The Mighty Palm
        The Mighty Palm
        username checks out
        Feb 12, 2018
        dreamfall887 likes this.
      2. Windows i7
        Windows i7
        Elements from dungeon crawlers appear to have made their way into most modern RPGs. Lets face it... exploring dungeons can be a lot of fun if done right.
        Feb 12, 2018
        dreamfall887 likes this.
      3. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        Yeah, but it would have to have some original aspect. Argh, I hate it when I have ideas for a two or three games simultaneously.
        Feb 12, 2018
        dreamfall887 likes this.
    11. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      I wonder if I should change the engine or do the entire Labyronia saga with vx ace? I just don't see the meaningful benefits in MV.
      2. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        I really don't know. I mean, the best RM game (for most) "To the Moon" was made with XP if I'm not mistaken. Maybe I'll just use the older engine after all, since it really doesn't matter which engine to use to create a good game.
        Feb 12, 2018
      3. starlight dream
        starlight dream
        I agree the engine isn't that important. It depends what you want to put in the game and which maker allows you to do that.
        Feb 12, 2018
      4. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        My next game should have a lot of lush jungles. I kind of think the layer system in MV might ease the mapping.
        Feb 12, 2018
    12. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      I'm gonna get rich soon. Just gonna create a 15 minute early access tech demo. They tend to sell better than many real games in Steam.
      1. Matseb2611 and Guiguimu like this.
      3. starlight dream
        starlight dream
        Depends what your goal is. If it's just to make money you can go that route. If it's to make a child-friendly game, or something genre-specific, (or whatever else) then you do that.
        IMO it's not a matter of pride. It's a matter of intention for making the game.
        We all value different things.
        Feb 7, 2018
      4. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        But in all seriousness, I'd never do that. I think it's cheap in every meaning of the word.
        Feb 8, 2018
      5. starlight dream
        starlight dream
        I knew you weren't serious when you started with "I'm gonna get rich soon" :p Oh boy..
        Feb 8, 2018
    13. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      God I love BotW! I keep on dying all the time, even more than in Dark Souls : -D Guess I suck at it : -D
      2. TheMutantSpaceDancer
        TheMutantSpaceDancer
        I'll buy it on the E-Shop when I have the chance!
        Feb 5, 2018
      3. JtheDuelist
        JtheDuelist
        I could tell you the earliest you can get a clothes item that helps, but I may accidentally invoke spoilers. And before you ask- yes, it is indeed possible to get the Master Sword before you even do your first Divine Beast (that is what I did- get the sword before it)... Which reminds me I still have 2 more to do....
        Feb 5, 2018
      4. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        I tried to go kill Ganon as the first thing. Couldn't get even close to the castle before I was decimated.
        Feb 7, 2018
    14. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      Accidentally erased 2 weeks of my work. Bollocks!!! Well... at least it wasn't the main project... which I have gladly released already.
    15. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      I think I'm gonna draw everything from the scratch for my next game. Should be possible since it's a smaller one.
      1. starlight dream and Guiguimu like this.
      3. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        Usually those who say it must be done this way try the same and never finish their game. Either that or it has the same dev time as Grimone (23 years).
        Jan 29, 2018
        Guiguimu and starlight dream like this.
      4. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        Well, I'm very satisfied to my latest game (Labyronia Elements) It might not have fully original art, but I did my best with the assets I had. I'd say I'm quite proud of it. However, I would still want to expand my artistic expression. Music is something I'll never be able to do by myself (gladly I know some pro composers ;))...
        Jan 29, 2018
      5. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        ...but the art side is not impossible. The thing that worries me the most are the animations. It's gonna be a long job to draw and animate all those characters and animals!
        Jan 29, 2018
    16. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      I want Nintendo Switch so bad I'm willing to starve 2 months after getting it.
      1. starlight dream likes this.
      2. starlight dream
        starlight dream
        Ah that's why you were stealing @Harrumi 's cabbage rolls o_O
        Jan 29, 2018
      3. Labyrinthine
        Jan 29, 2018
      4. Harrumi
        Harrumi
        Awe, I'll send some threw the internet straw! :o
        Jan 29, 2018
    17. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      If anyone asks you Free Steam Keys to review your commercial game via email, 99,9% of them are scam sites.
      2. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        So just don't give 'em anything. It's absolutely no use.
        Jan 28, 2018
      3. Kes
        Kes
        Also reviews from people who have received free keys do not count towards your Review profile (positive/negative/whatever), so as a developer you get no benefit.
        Jan 28, 2018
      4. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        I noticed that -.-
        Jan 29, 2018
    18. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      I got poorer after starting to sell my game. Delights of being unemployed.
      1. Sauteed_Onion likes this.
      3. Matseb2611
        Matseb2611
        Steam has been making things harder for indie devs as of late. Plus also market saturation plays into effect. You kind of have to put even more time and resources now in order for your game to stand out or get noticed than before.
        Jan 11, 2018
      4. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        @Matseb2611 : Right. That's why I'm thinking I may need to use a publisher when I finish, just because otherwise I'll probably only sell 1000 or less copies as dilluted as the marketplace is.
        Jan 11, 2018
        Matseb2611 likes this.
      5. Matseb2611
        Matseb2611
        Yeah, I'd definitely recommend a publisher, unless you have a lot of connections as well as plenty of time to do the promoting yourself. Steam isn't quite as magnificent for indie devs as it was in the past, though at the moment it's still the best bet due to monopoly.
        Jan 12, 2018
    19. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      Soon being a month in sale, no one has managed to beat my latest game yet. I wonder if it's TOO large for its own good...
      1. Sauteed_Onion and Cray like this.
      2. starlight dream
        starlight dream
        Maybe it's the time of year too, people being busy or on vacation, so less time to play.
        How long is your game?
        Dec 28, 2017
        Sauteed_Onion likes this.
      3. padr81
        padr81
        Its a long game but I'm sure many people will get it done. It's also highly recommended by me for anyone reading. 60 hours is a fair bit of time and I think yours will come in much longer for a first play through even with you guiding me through it I was 40 hours on the first 2 worlds.
        Dec 28, 2017
      4. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        Someone finally beat it, and it took 90 hours. Got one positive review too! I wonder how many months it'll take to get the next one... -.-
        Feb 12, 2018
    20. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      Sales have got nothing to do with quality of a product, apparently. It's all about marketing.
      3. Matseb2611
        Matseb2611
        Two reasons mainly: 1) Market saturation on Steam. Things have drastically changed over the past 2 or so years. 2) Steam's new algorithm as of the last year that is a lot harsher on indie devs. I'm experiencing similar symptoms, with my older games having reached a much wider audience than more recent releases. I hear many indie devs are getting the shaft these days on Steam.
        Feb 17, 2018
      4. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        Yeah, I was afraid that would be the case. Can't really do too much about it then -.- On the other hand, I'm pretty sure now it wouldn't make any sense lowering the price from where it is, since it's probably haven't got anything to do with it.
        Feb 17, 2018
      5. Matseb2611
        Matseb2611
        Yeah, it's more about exposure nowadays. A lot harder to get noticed, especially that Steam works on an entirely automated algorithm. Lower price will help to entice a few more buyers, but it's no use if most of them don't even find the game. I wish something gets done about this. Steam needs a competitor.
        Feb 17, 2018
        Labyrinthine likes this.
  • About

Birthday:
    Jun 1, 1982 (Age: 37)
    First Language:
    Finnish
    Here's some philosophy/scientific observations concerning the Pendant of Labyronia, which is in a way the main "character" in Labyronia games.

Game making, spiritual stuff, music, drums.

Signature

Offering free Steam keys for game reviews. PM me if you're interested!
    Take a peek into the five elemental worlds on my website:
    http://labyronia.wix.com/labyroniaelements