Labyrinthine

Artist/ Developer, Male, 37, from Labyronia

Veteran

Working again with enthusiasm! Jan 22, 2019

Labyrinthine was last seen:
Aug 21, 2019
    1. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      I think my laziness is actually not laziness at all. I notice I take a break every time I'm not completely sure how to proceed. Then, when everything clicks in my head, I get a boost and start working.
      1. 1 person likes this.
      2. Sharm
        Sharm
        A lot of things get mislabeled as laziness, sadly.  It's as if resting is somehow this terrible thing that people should be ashamed of doing.
        Jan 18, 2017
        2 people like this.
      3. Reapergurl
        Reapergurl
        This is why I like working for myself.

Sadly, my real life job isn't as nice, but at least I work alone...

And I work the hours I want, so that does help...
        Jan 18, 2017
    2. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      Is it possible to deduce the values of a person based on the video games he mostly enjoys? If someone is going all out to defend violent video games and at the same time openly despising people who enjoy games such as Mario, does it tell something about the person? Are console and video game wars really about games? Are people parallelizing their views of life with video games? Considering how serious people sound when arguing about these things at times, could there be some truth in this.
      1. 2 people like this.
      2. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        I don't believe it says much about them as a person. Some people are just nasty - it doesn't matter whether they play video games or tennis.

There is a very toxic group of gamers who believe they are somehow better than other gamers for liking certain games, but I doubt they are the majority. Then there's always been a competitive spirit among gamers (highest score, hardest games, etc) but again, I don't believe it reflects their morality in any real way.

Saying that, there probably are some people who live and breathe video games, just as there are people who live and breathe many other things.
        Jan 17, 2017
        1 person likes this.
      3. Vito The Boss
        Vito The Boss
        I think it can be done, I know most...how to define them...(Don't read if you're under 18) stupid and shittier (Ok, now read) person that play the same stupid game! Obviusly, there are the exception. For example, I know that much (at least a bit) intelligent people play to Final Fantasy, but, there are the exception of the stupid ones, that play it, only for girls or for the violence...I hate the one that play/watch/read things only for girls.
        Jan 17, 2017
        1 person likes this.
      4. Reapergurl
        Reapergurl
        I tend to not even make any attempts to do this, but I do believe that yes, it can be done, to a degree.

As for me, I love video games about as much as I love my artsy makeup technique, but I have a life, and a separate reality I live all my own as well.

Most days, I'm only here physically, but am always rooted in some sort of realistic context.

I tend to let the trolls fight things out, then collect the bounty off the slain.
        Jan 17, 2017
    3. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      I have made a minimum amount of progress lately -.- Still in shedule for my project, but I may start to whip myself.
      1. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        A lot of people have been like that especially over in the monthly goals and progress thread. Must be something in the air.
        Jan 10, 2017
        1 person likes this.
      2. Reapergurl
        Reapergurl
        I feel ya; I forgot to take my HRT three days this week....

No real detrimental effect, but the headaches coming back was a clear sign something was off...

(there were other symptoms that I do not wish to share)

Yeah, I can't quite place it but I know to not let my guard down now...
        Jan 10, 2017
      3. BoredSoul
        BoredSoul
        I can buy you an Indiana Jones whip.
        Jan 15, 2017
        1 person likes this.
    4. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      Merry Christmas, you filthy animal. And a Happy New Year. 
      1. 1 person likes this.
      2. Reapergurl
        Dec 25, 2016
    5. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      I hope people are not basing their expectations towards "Labyronia Elements" on the older games I've released. They've received mostly mixed reviews, and had I been more experienced at the time, I would've probably given them a couple of months more development time. The earlier games weren't even supposed to be commercial originally. Of course and despite some of these problems, I'm mostly satisfied how they ended up, but... oh well. At least they provide background for my main project!
      1. 1 person likes this.
    6. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      Apparently my game is "buggy" just because some people don't know how to solve progression-related puzzles.
      1. 1 person likes this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. Reapergurl
        Reapergurl
        Progression-Related is also not entirely specific either.

I've played a couple of these kinds of games and the puzzle challenge was completely different.

I don't recall the names because this was junior high (and that was 16+ years back), but in one, a cube puzzle would have incomplete parts even if I knew how to put them together; the only way to make the puzzle complete itself was to answer trivia-type questions as the game progressed.

I never completed that game because I ran out of wrong answers (instant game loss), and since there was no saving that was pointless to spend another eight hours getting back.

Then there's a Zelda-like game (probably a fan-game but Idk) in which you had to complete tasks and acquire specific items, but to be wary of which items you trade for other items (you could trade any item for another with various people but if you did you might end up with a useless item), if you had the correct items you could progress, but if you didn't, the guardian of the temple or palace or ruin would call you an infidel and fight you (and likely kill you). I never got far because by the third guardian I wasn't able to find or trade for one specific item and got killed by the guardian every time except the one time I got a lucky deflect and killed the guardian with her own combat skill. However, it just gave me an extra chance to acquire the correct items and it gave me a hint, which led me back into the cycle of useless item trading until I gave up.
        Dec 22, 2016
      4. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        I'm attempting to create puzzles which make sense in the areas they are implemented. For exactly, in "Legend of Mysteria," there is an observatory where you need to arrange planets into right positions to activate something. The clues for this puzzle is in a letter, where the correct arrangement has been depicted by images. It's not explained anywhere, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out since the writer of the letter has been seeing in the observatory often, according to the workers in the area.
        Dec 22, 2016
      5. Reapergurl
        Reapergurl
        Now that sounds like a game I'd play.
        Dec 22, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    7. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      I don't understand why some people want to play RPG:s with BGM turned off. It's like watching an epic movie and muting the sound. It cripples the atmosphere.
      1. 1 person likes this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. taarna23
        taarna23
        I turn if off when I play MMOs, usually... but I've heard the music a thousand times over, and in the one I play now, frankly... it's just not that good.
        Dec 11, 2016
      4. mlogan
        mlogan
        Honestly, I rarely play any game with sound on. Partly because sometimes I want to play and not have my two munchkins hanging on my shoulders or shoving their faces in front of the screen to watch me play. Or because sometimes I'm sitting in the family room while the rest are watching tv and I don't want to bother them while they are.
        Dec 11, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      5. Hudell
        Hudell
        First thing my girlfriend does when she starts playing anything, is to remove all sound. For some reason BGMs annoy her. Me on the other hand, can't play a game without at least the sound effects.
        Dec 11, 2016
        2 people like this.
    8. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      I hope using edited stock images and free licence- edited photos as battle BG:s is not a complete no-no for some people. I simply lack resources to build a myriad of them from the scratch -.-
      1. View previous comments...
      2. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        Btw, are you the same dev who created the Labyronia games on Steam? Just curious. :)
        Dec 10, 2016
      3. Labyrinthine
        Dec 10, 2016
        2 people like this.
      4. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        Lol, I just said this the other day but FF VII is a lot of things but pretty looking isn't one of them.
        Dec 10, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    9. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      I miss playing Fire Emblem! Whyyy did I have to sell my Wii with PoR and RD? : -(
    10. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      Time to build a couple of tilesets... again. Not my favorite part of work.
      1. 1 person likes this.
      2. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        Definitely a pain, got to be meticulous with it and make sure everything is aligned right.
        Nov 28, 2016
      3. Kes
        Kes
        Ah, but the satisfaction of seeing the resulting maps coming out how you want them rather than mere approximations.
        Nov 28, 2016
    11. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      The daunting moment before starting a new world-
      1. 1 person likes this.
      2. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        For your project? That could apply to a lot of things like cracking open a good book or playing a game.
        Nov 27, 2016
      3. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        Yah, for my project.
        Nov 27, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      4. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        Good luck, I love a good rpg that surprises you with another world. Always a fun little twist and done well a shock to the player.
        Nov 27, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    12. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      I've had it! I have better things in life than... I have no better things in life. This is it.
    13. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      Finally managed to cut down my lag. It seems that large maps were the main cause of it in my case, so I just chopped them to pieces. Now to figure out how to reduce world map lag... :S
      1. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        A perfect solution for that issue; not everything has to be on one section like that. Good luck with the rest.
        Nov 22, 2016
      2. Milennin
        Milennin
        How big were those maps? And how many events were on them?
        Nov 22, 2016
      3. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        I can't remember how big the maps were. There were quite a lot of events, though, and a perpetual parallel process event. I tried to fix the lag in several ways, but in the end reducing the map size was the only thing producing results. Erasing the events didn't do much of anything to fix it in this case.
        Nov 22, 2016
    14. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      2 years of working with my current project. Hopefully I'd be able to complete it for next summer.
      1. 1 person likes this.
      2. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        Hey, keep it up! I'm sure all the work will be worth it in the end; especially that feeling of accomplishment.
        Nov 21, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    15. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      Cutscene day tomorrow again.
    16. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      Just changed the names of all the BGM:s in my game files. What a tedious job, but someone had to do it!
    17. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      My code is all over the place in the scene I'm creating.
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        Yeah, it seems to be. I should probably start from the scratch, but I guess as long as it works...
        Oct 30, 2016
      3. nio kasgami
        nio kasgami
        nan you should get used to get good coding preference.

saying : "I guess as long as it works" is the worst answer you can give to a programmer.

it's will be a nightmare  to Improve/ debug for you later.

in simple for good programming form you simply take this list : 

[*]Do in order of method/ code.

[*]Name your class/ method/ variable in a meaningful way

[*]put only the necessary code in the necessary place. e.g : don't put a update method code into a start  method etc.

with that in mind your code will be clean.
        Oct 30, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      4. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        You should've seen the events/code in my previous games. Absolute mess. But as long as there are no bugs... ;D
        Oct 30, 2016
    18. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      18 hours of game created, counting speedrun way!
    19. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      I'm working faster than my schedule requires now.
      1. 2 people like this.
      2. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        Not a bad thing as long as you take your time where it counts. Kind of wish my pace was ahead of schedule as well.
        Oct 23, 2016
    20. Labyrinthine
      Labyrinthine
      Proceeding on schedule!
  • About

Birthday:
    Jun 1, 1982 (Age: 37)
    First Language:
    Finnish
    Here's some philosophy/scientific observations concerning the Pendant of Labyronia, which is in a way the main "character" in Labyronia games.

Game making, spiritual stuff, music, drums.

Signature

Offering free Steam keys for game reviews. PM me if you're interested!
    Take a peek into the five elemental worlds on my website:
    http://labyronia.wix.com/labyroniaelements