Last Activity:
Aug 8, 2015
Birthday:
May 4, 1976 (Age: 43)

Share This Page

light487

Parrot Keeper, Male, 43, from Sydney, Australia

Veteran

Decent article on Sid Meier on Kotaku. Some tips and tricks for game design buried in there too... http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/the-father-of-civilization/ Jun 27, 2013

light487 was last seen:
Aug 8, 2015
    1. light487
      light487
      Forcing myself to take a break so I can get a fresh perspective and start work to fix up the project. I have many ideas to make it better based on feedback but I don't want to jump too quickly.. :)
    2. light487
      light487
      If you thought trying to conform to 32x32 pixels was hard.. try this:

3. light487
      light487
      Got my demo packaged up, with RTP included it is around 110MB. I have tested it on my wife's laptop and it all works perfectly. Now just have to wait for tomorrow to release it :)
      1. View previous comments...
      2. light487
        light487
        You too.. your demo is coming out soon too, right?
        May 3, 2013
      3. LoneWolfDon
        LoneWolfDon
        I'm gonna be releasing a Blade-of-Rage early-Demo in the Release Something Weekend event. It's just about ready now I think.
        May 3, 2013
      4. Dark_Metamorphosis
        Dark_Metamorphosis
        I'm releasing for RSW as well! Looking forward to see the work of you guys! :) (And test your new version LoneWolf, since I took part in Beta-testing an earlier version of yours) :)
        May 3, 2013
    4. light487
      light487
      Ok.. demo is ready to go.. now I have to wait for the RSW to actually release it.. so I guess I will be working on the next sections of the game in the meantime.
    5. light487
      light487
      Looking forward to getting home from work so I can finish off the demo of my project.. hopefully the testing I do tonight, after the small number of changes I need to make, proves that it is ready for release..
      1. Dark_Metamorphosis
        Dark_Metamorphosis
        Looking forward to it :)
        May 1, 2013
      2. LoneWolfDon
        LoneWolfDon
        Good luck with it. I'm working furiously to implement some additions and improvements to my own project too (for the Release-Something-Weekend). Still more to do, but, I've very close to having a well working Demo.
        May 1, 2013
    6. light487
      light487
      Wow.. so close to a demo now I can taste it. It's about 1.5 hours of gameplay and seems to be balanced fairly well. Have a bug list of approx 12 things.. but other than that.. done.. need to go to bed now though.
      1. light487
        light487
        Ooops.. kept working anyway.. down to 3 cosmetic bugs and a need to add more save points.. then it's all done! :) Definitely have to be for tomorrow though :)
        Apr 30, 2013
    7. light487
      light487
      Lesson Learned: Don't import ALL music.. just do them as you need it.. *sigh* Such a hassle removing all the ones I am not using and not knowing exactly which ones that is..
    8. light487
      light487
      Hrmm.. think I will need to come up with a enemy scaling system.. it doesn't seem hard to do.. just check actor level and equipment and process battle of appropriate level. It's going to have to wait till after my demo is released though..
    9. light487
      light487
      2 hours of play-testing done.. can see the end in sight for the demo release. 4 to 6 hours more work should do it. Looks like I will make it for RSW.
      1. slimmmeiske2
        slimmmeiske2
        Congrats :)
        Apr 29, 2013
      2. Wyn Wizard
        Wyn Wizard
        what is RSW?
        Apr 29, 2013
      3. light487
        light487
        Release Something Weekend
        Apr 29, 2013
    10. light487
      light487
      Final week leading up to RSW: Need to link all my story up, add a better title screen, add a credits/end screen and polish up some other areas in anticipation of releasing my first ever demo! :) Very exciting! :)
      1. LoneWolfDon
        LoneWolfDon
        Yep.. same here. My Blade-of-Rage Demo is almost ready for Play-Testing.. then while that's being done, I need to finish up a few more things (such as like what you mentioned, along with some other important things). Good luck! :)
        Apr 29, 2013
      2. Dark_Metamorphosis
        Dark_Metamorphosis
        I got some final things to add to my new beta version as well, I hope I will have the time to polish it all up before the RSW :p It's gonna be so awesome to see what everyone will release! Good luck to you both! :)
        Apr 29, 2013
      3. light487
        light487
        Yeh! I'm pretty excited about the whole thing really... just thinking about it, I can think of at least 10 parts of my game that need work to get it ready.. I want to get it ready for a play-test before the weekend. I am thinking of playing through it tonight and writing down all the problems as I go..
        Apr 29, 2013
    11. light487
      light487
      Methinks I better start making a list of credits so I don't lose track of the third-party stuff I am adding..
      1. ShinGamix
        ShinGamix
        I wish there was an easier way to do this. Maybe a way to notetag resources.
        Apr 27, 2013
    12. light487
      light487
      I think the hardest thing is trying to balance treasure accumulation with equipment prices and equipment stats so each is meaningful and satisfying to the player...
      1. Reynard Frost
        Reynard Frost
        Plan Tiers and Gates. One section of your game uses Tier 1 equipment and pricing, then when the player passes a certain gate (a new area, a certain boss defeated) then they require the next level of gear/pricing.

Think of it all in term of Stages, like Super Mario Brothers and it's easier to organize. (Even if the game isn't exactly in a stage-like format)
        Apr 23, 2013
      2. light487
        light487
        Hrmm yeh.. ok, I'll see what I can do with that methodology. Thanks.
        Apr 23, 2013
      3. AeonSpark
        AeonSpark
        I've been wondering this too, but a Tier system is likely the best solution to this problem! Thanks!
        Apr 23, 2013
    13. light487
      light487
      Grrr.. just spent 2 hours creating light/shadow maps only to realise I exported the wrong layers :( Now I have to do the whole thing again.. at least I have guides to where I should draw the lighting though.. but still.. so annoying.
      1. Blodeuyn
        Blodeuyn
        Aww :( That sucks.
        Apr 20, 2013
      2. light487
        light487
        All fixed now.. but it feels like it is not as good as it was the first time even though I know it's pretty much identical.. *sigh*
        Apr 20, 2013
    14. light487
      light487
      Getting read for my 3rd GMD day today :) Not really sure what I will be working on tonight.. need to clean the house first though..
      1. LionHeart48
        LionHeart48
        This music will pump you up for the 3rd GMD day
        Apr 12, 2013
      2. light487
        light487
        Hehehe.. maybe.. can't hear it at work unfortunately.. but I'll try it when I get home.. maybe I can listen to it while I clean the house :)

Speaking of music.. that new XP remake of music looks interesting.. :)
        Apr 12, 2013
      3. Chaos Avian
        Chaos Avian
        It's HHHHNNNNNGGGGH MYGODAMAZING!~ XD
        Apr 12, 2013
    15. light487
      light487
      Forced myself to take a break today. No touching RM at all.. just relaxing and doing other stuff :)
    16. light487
      light487
      Hrmm.. how do I create a new blog on here? I can't find the option to create one..
      1. Dark_Metamorphosis
        Dark_Metamorphosis
        You will need Member+ to start a blog.
        Apr 9, 2013
    17. light487
      light487
      Majorly drained as I get to the end of my work day.. so glad I chose to only do GMD on 3 days :)
    18. light487
      light487
      Just had an idea of how my world map is going to work (similar to old arcade games like Mario) where there is only limited number of places where the player actually stops, rather than forcing the player to walk manually to each location.
      1. RachelTheSeeker
        RachelTheSeeker
        Definitely something I wanted to try myself. Best of luck.
        Apr 9, 2013
    19. light487
      light487
      The day is over.. time for bed.. but tomorrow shall bring more RPG Maker adventures :)
    20. light487
      light487
      Start of day: HEAPS of motivation, middle of day: sketching maps and stuff, end of day: so tired.. hoping that not too tired to work when I get home
  • About

Birthday:
    May 4, 1976 (Age: 43)
    First Language:
    English
    Writing music, programming, "playing" games (hehe), authoring stuff in general, languages.

Signature

My Current Project:

Tales of Medea (Prologue)

http://rpgmaker.net/games/5104/