Recent content by LycanDiva

1. LycanDiva

RPG Maker MV: %1 Tag Not Functioning in Terms

So, that's what happened. Thank you. I was really confused for weeks, there...
  2. LycanDiva

Oh. Thanks! ^_^;
  3. LycanDiva

A little while ago, I went into the Terms tab in my project to change a few of the in-game messages to give my game a bit more personality. When I edited the "Critical to Enemy" message, I accidentally deleted the original %1 tag. At first, I thought it was no big deal, as I could just type %1...
  4. LycanDiva

The story of your first project!

My very first RPG Maker project is an unfinished game called Wild Saga that I started in the PS1 version of the engine. I was enjoying the story I created, but I felt held back the the interface of the PS1 version...especially text input, since I had to use that terrible letter box thing that...
  5. LycanDiva

Lets talk about: Talking & Dialogues

A good book to look into if you're trying to sharpen your writing skills is Writing Fiction: The Practical Guide From New York's Acclaimed Creative Writing School. It not only covers characters and dialogue, but also pacing, setting, plot, and theme as well. For me, however, I tend to think of...
  6. LycanDiva

i am new and need help with creating my game.

When it comes to plot, you can look for inspiration by checking out some articles on TV Tropes. I suggest looking up your favorite movies, shows, games, and books on the site and reading through the tropes used in the works, then go to the tropes' pages for more info. You can lose entire days...
  7. LycanDiva

RMMV One of my Project's System

That looks interesting...and so much better than Mabinogi's cooking system too! I think that it would be cool if you had a little animation playing with your progress bar, like a bowl being stirred or a pot boiling or sandwich fixings being piled on, to visually enhance the experience and/or a...
  8. LycanDiva

Anybody thinking about Educational games?

Educational games are viable, but they have to be made just right. Take games like Universe Sandbox and Birthdays the Beginning for example. They're sandbox simulation games that deal with astronomy and the origins of life, respectively, and they allow the player to learn more about how the...
  9. LycanDiva

Things to avoid in your game

Mandatory Mini-Games: Most of the time, mandatory mini-games I've encountered are not very good or particularly well-implemented. FFX's Blitzball is a prime example, with its awkward controls and painfully slow gameplay. Thank goodness you only have to do it once (unless you want Wakka's full...
  10. LycanDiva

"This is great for an RPG Maker game"

I made my suggestions as a next step beyond learning the core engine, and I agree that all of these things don't have to be done all at once (there are lots of great games that only do one or two of the things I listed). If you can only do one thing to customize your game, go for the thing that...
  11. LycanDiva

"This is great for an RPG Maker game"

The first thing you can do is to use custom tilesets, window graphics, and character sprites, not the built-in ones or any of the publicly available DLC. Giving your game a unique look gets some people to take you a little more seriously. That might include looking into the parallax mapping...
  12. LycanDiva

Examples of RPG Maker (esp. MV) game without battle

Let's see, there's Uri's "Strange Man" series (The Crooked Man, The Sandman, The Boogie Man, and The Hanged Man), Mermaid Swamp (also by Uri), and Ib (which was made with RPG Maker 2000). Those are the narrative games I can name off the top of my head that haven't been mentioned so far.
  13. LycanDiva

May Goals and Progress Thread

My goals: 1) Continue learning JavaScript so that I can get good enough to program a decent combat system. 2) Get the custom battle sprites for Fang made (I'm finalizing his walking sprite now). 3) Get the second dungeon and the second town done. 4) Finalize the character designs for Grall and...
  14. LycanDiva

Extra features can be added to make Battle System better :-)

I'd add strategic field movement, AOE attacks that hit enemies in different formations (circle, cross, X, line, etc.), and combo attacks (double attacks, tripple attacks, and full-party combos). That would be one heck of a battle system...
  15. LycanDiva

Mini Games in Games?

So long as the minigame isn't forced on you, like the gummi ship segments in Kingdom Hearts (which are, by far, the most boring and pointless part of the game...especially because in the first game you can cheese them by putting a wall of guns on the front of your ship and holding down the shoot...

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's my birthday! :kaoluv: Also, Cupcake is done and out(ill post about it in a couple of days, busy today)
Not to be greedy, but if anyone happens to have VX Ace or MV Resource steam keys that I don't have, lying around, I'd be happy to take them off your hands.
Got accepted into the architecture degree. Now I have all the doubting questions. Have to give them an answer in the next few days.
Just realized I have a few Steam gifts floating around. Anyone need RPG Maker MV or XP (Steam only)? Send me a message and I will send them on over!

EDIT: Just an RPG Maker MV gift remaining! XP has been taken.
*when you can do the Unity tutorials, but when you actually try and convert it to your own knowledge, it fails horribly*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guhh