Maj was last seen:
Apr 18, 2019
    1. Maj
      Maj
      why are towns so hard to map?
      1. View previous comments...
      2. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        @IguanaGuy Looks like a gypsy camp. LOL! I love it. Thanks for making me laugh. xD
        @Maj Settlements should be similar to characters. They don't need to be boring areas with a few buildings strewn about the place. They can, and should, have a history and a personality of their own. Try to design your settlements with both their history and purpose in mind.
        May 6, 2018
      3. taarna23
        taarna23
        My problem with towns is I always map them too big. When I playtest-wander them, I try to picture the downs in games that I like and then I start to realize how big it is, how much time it takes to get around... and then I squish it. It ends up feeling super cramped in the editor but plays much better.
        May 6, 2018
        starlight dream and The Stranger like this.
      4. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        I started forcing all my towns to be 45 x 45 tiles unless it is a capital or a major town, then I expand if it is logical. For example Aurora is a resort town and it ended up being 45 x 90 tiles in the end (done as 2 maps). And the Dwarfen Capital is 3 45 x 45 tile maps (would be 4, but the 4th is all mountains).
        May 6, 2018
        starlight dream and The Stranger like this.
  • About

Birthday:
    May 29
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV