MarxMayhem
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Here be a fun exercise: Can you make an elemental RPS triangle between Water, Wind and Earth?
    Reactions: Ronyunderen
    gstv87
    gstv87
    wind gust blows earth, dry earth sucks up water, water curtain disrupts wind.
    backwards, wind dries water, water turns earth to mud, earth blocks wind.
    Hey you know that problem I had with my old project file? I figured out what went wrong, so I fixed it there! Now I don't need this new file! *deletes*

*remembers I made good changes on it and did not write those changes down elsewhere*

.....Well ****.
    Does anyone have an idea for a voice demo reel? I wanna get into VA-related work and I need a starting point.
    HexMozart88
    HexMozart88
    Use some of your favourite quotes. Try and get a variety of different expressions in there. Alternatively, pick some character archetypes and say some lines that would fit those archetypes.
    Iron_Brew
    Iron_Brew
    Just go on fiverr and see what other people have done.
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    A lot of modders are always looking for VAs, it's obviously not gonna be paid mostly but it's experience and if you find a decent passion project or two it'd look good on a portfolio just the same. A buddy of mine that does voiceover semi-for a living now started out that way at least.
    Lately, my project had a 50-50 chance of not getting past the loading screen when I run a battle test. Today, I tried running my game from the Playtest button and it remained stuck after selecting New Game.

I think I need to start over now...
    Willibab
    Willibab
    Big oof!
    MarxMayhem
    MarxMayhem
    UPDATE: Had to redo everything, and most things remained the same. Game opens properly now. \o/

Back to databasing, though...
    Does anyone here have experience with VINSA tablets? I have some settings questions relating to mine.
    I need a better name for "slider"/"time traveler".
    ericv00
    ericv00
    Phase as in cycles of time or phasing in and out of particular places in a sequence of time. One who walks between these different positions. If someone told me in a story that a "phasewalker" jumped around in time, it wouldn't... phase me.
    Ami
    Ami
    Time Jacker
    MarxMayhem
    MarxMayhem
    @ericv00: Oooh. I like those terms. I may try to make something out of those.
    @Ahuramazda: Sounds nice, but I don't think it fits the time identity I'm looking for.
    @gstv87: Also sounds nice, but I don't think it fits the time identity as well.
    @Ami: I don't think "Jacker" would have the intended meaning that I want. XD
    Since I am not focusing on game art, I decided to take some time to make templates out of the default RTP icons. Placeholders be nice while the final thing has not been made.
    After much internal debate, I have decided to cut managing element rates from my battle system.

...In hindsight, that should have never crossed my mind if I'm also using the Break Shield system.
    Reactions: KazukiT
    KazukiT
    KazukiT
    Sometimes cutting features makes for a better game. Like my current game I cut out many flashbacks. I decided to include the ones that are important to each character's development.
    Oh hey, I've never really tried to make a test battle with max level parties and enemies. Let's do that now!

During testing: Enemy brings a party member to 40% HP in a basic attack. A BASIC ATTACK. ONE. BASIC. ATTACK.
    Trihan
    Trihan
    @BK-tdm I actually somewhat disagree with this, because it might be fine for the intended level *right now* but I'm a big believer in planning for the unexpected and future-proofing things. Ensuring that they're balanced regardless of level means that you can change your plans around later without worrying that you're now unbalancing them, which will require the same rebalancing work anyway.
    BK-tdm
    BK-tdm
    I balance for the level range i plan to use the enemy/encounter and id rather make a new iteration of the enemy for higer level bracket than make the enemy viable for the whole game.
    My project is pretty linear though so id rather make new versions than super tweak the ones that work perfectly on its intended map.
    Trihan
    Trihan
    That's fair. There's various ways you could approach it.
    I have not made that bestiary yet, but I did complete what I need out of it to move forward with classes and a good part for crafting.
    Can I get away with calling a "shortsword" a dagger and not a sword?
    Cythera
    Cythera
    As someone who owns at least one of all three, absolutely not :p

Really though, you can call it anything as long as you're consistent. Games aren't the most realistic things; if they were, they'd be significantly less fun.
    cthulhusquid
    cthulhusquid
    No because shortswords are still swords. Similarly, even though a dirk is basically a big dagger it's still called a dirk. People in the know will get the wrong impression if things aren't referred to correctly.
    TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    Just call it a blade and left the reader in confusion :p
    Should've seen this coming, but if I wanted players crafting equipment, I should also have a bestiary ready.

C'mon Marx, you played Monster Hunter...!
    More than 400 skills listed. Lesgoooooo
    MarxMayhem
    MarxMayhem
    Some are better versions of older spells. One of the things I hated from some RPGs is that they give casters a wall of skills when the strongest version is all you'll need. I'm hoping that with the equip skill system (plus other systems I have in place) I have, I can make players pick their skills strategically and find value in having a variety of skills.
    cthulhusquid
    cthulhusquid
    In my projects, I try to make every skill unique, have purpose, and stay competitive for the entire game. I prefer it that way even though it's harder creatively.
    MarxMayhem
    MarxMayhem
    I feel you. As a developer, you'd want to make something players will find use for. Admittedly I'm still in the theorycrafting stage, so I may end up reverting stuff. Only time will tell.
    300 skills! And I'm still only halfway done with casters'! orz
    • Wow
    Reactions: Quexp and Ouro
    HexMozart88
    HexMozart88
    Goodness me. Might have to cut down a bit.
    MarxMayhem
    MarxMayhem
    Contemplating that, but my game has a skill equip feature (and swapping skills is an option to players), so for now I'm keeping that list until a downsize is deemed necessary.
    Is it just me, or is itch.io having issues loading images in general?
    Quexp
    Quexp
    I just checked it out and images are loading normal for me (using Android Chrome).
    MarxMayhem
    MarxMayhem
    I viewed it on Desktop Chrome. I appear to have the same issue with mobile as well.
    Quexp
    Quexp
    Sounds annoying
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I officially declare today "test play day." I'm going to waste the whole day playing video games, which isn't a shock to anybody, but hopefully today I'll play my own and figure out what still needs fixin's.
Empty Bottles and Health Extenders are now a thing.
Also the Sling-Shot does damage to enemies now, but not a lot and you won't get gold from killing them that way.
ScreenShot_5_26_2022_11_36_32.png
added a Panic gauge to battle. it fills up according to your actions. each character has a different passive that activates once the gauge is full. also once full, a countdown starts and after each action taken, the gauges decreases. with each character, the decrease is different.
Genuinely considering making a thread informing people how to Google.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evanille