Needle

Sharp as a Tack, Male, from Dallas, TX

Veteran

I wonder if I could get away with playing Shovel Knight at work. Jul 9, 2014

Needle was last seen:
Mar 24, 2016
    1. Needle
      Needle
      Starting to realize that learning how to properly build cutscenes was probably the most useful piece of knowledge I learned to get over that beginner hump.
    2. Needle
      Needle
      These RPGM sales have really kicked this forum into high gear!
    3. Needle
      Needle
      Skipping the contest. I'd rather focus on my current project and the chances of winning are slim.
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
        ^As will I, although most thoughts of winning and prizes are repeatedly pushed from my head as soon as they appear. I just need to get something flaming released already to justify all the time I devote to this hobby, though 500+ dollars would be a major boon come November... Nope, die distracting thoughts, just die.
        Jun 3, 2014
      3. Needle
        Needle
        Agreed... The contest is nice and all, and hopefully it will spur some quality development, but I'm already focused on something else, and this can't serve to distract me!
        Jun 3, 2014
      4. Shion Kreth
        Shion Kreth
        Nothing wrong with that, if you're in the zone you want to capitalize on it.
        Jun 3, 2014
    4. Needle
      Needle
      Borther's wedding today. Gonna give a speech, then drink my brains out.
      1. Ms Littlefish
        Ms Littlefish
        Congratulations to the bride and groom! And good luck with your speech.
        May 31, 2014
    5. Needle
      Needle
      Slept so hard last night that I now have amnesia. I hope when I remember who I am, I'm a dragon mutant assassin or something.
    6. Needle
      Needle
      One more post tomorrow and I will have completed GMD with all posts finished on time and every one with a screen or movie! :D
      1. mlogan
        mlogan
        Great job! I had to step out of this one - to much gong on IRL. I'm looking forward to the next one though.
        May 29, 2014
      2. Sharm
        Sharm
        Oooooh! That is quite impressive.
        May 29, 2014
      3. Shaz
        Shaz
        Nice! You've had a lot of really informative posts too ... anybody'd think you had a good time!
        May 29, 2014
    7. Needle
      Needle
      Due to the holiday, my Real Life Work has dominated my brain for the past two days. Game dev will have to wait a day.
    8. Needle
      Needle
      No excuses. Ever.
      1. Ms Littlefish
        Ms Littlefish
        But I'm tired!
        May 27, 2014
      2. Clydous
        Clydous
        I'd agree...but coming down with a severe illness or anything else that lands you in the hospital, I feel, would prove to be an acceptable excuse. =P
        May 27, 2014
    9. Needle
      Needle
      I find the best way to get creative is to pace back and forth whilst talking to myself. Granted, this technique won't make you very popular at parties
      2. Ms Littlefish
        Ms Littlefish
        I almost always start humming an amazing idea for a new song when I'm at work!
        May 23, 2014
      3. Solo
        Solo
        Dekita, thank you, that has inspired me! :D
        May 23, 2014
      4. ??????
        ??????
        Lol happy to have helped ^_^
        May 23, 2014
    10. Needle
      Needle
      Besides the askew perspective, I think I've finally got this tower working!
    11. Needle
      Needle
      Bored at work. I'd rather be mapping. Got a great idea for a circular tower where what you passed is visible in the background. No scripting required!
    12. Needle
      Needle
      It's too early in the morning for *everything*.
    13. Needle
      Needle
      Steam games on sale that I want today: Banner Saga, Agarest. Also, Transistor came out today, I'll need that too.
    14. Needle
      Needle
      Wrapping up my Day Job. It's good to be the boss!
    15. Needle
      Needle
      Starting to wonder if what I'm writing as dialog in cut scenes is funny at all. You can only stare at your own writing for so long, may need to do some outside testing.
      2. Ms Littlefish
        Ms Littlefish
        I have a pretty dark sense of humor and I also tend to ere on the side of ridiculous. My story is not short on seriousness but I definitely want humor to be core in the writing. Everything is better when I can laugh.
        May 20, 2014
      3. Needle
        Needle
        I guess the only way to confirm humor though is to let it loose upon the masses. And if it's not funny... then swallow the humility, I suppose!
        May 20, 2014
      4. Clydous
        Clydous
        Indeed. Ship it out to a handful of people and see what they think. It's generally a good idea to have more than one pair of eyes reviewing your work. Who knows? They may be able to give you some ideas. =)
        May 20, 2014
    16. Needle
      Needle
      I'm gonna drown myself in an All You Can Eat Pizza Buffet, I'm SURE that will help my productivity today.
      2. Zane
        Zane
        I wish I could go to one :(

I love pizza!
        May 19, 2014
      3. Solo
        Solo
        CiCi's?
        May 19, 2014
      4. Needle
        Needle
        We've got a Cici's nearby, but I prefer the Pizza Inn! They usually have good dessert pizzas, which despite being a bad idea after eating a ton of pizza, is delicious.
        May 19, 2014
    17. Needle
      Needle
      Another productive day of mapping and eventing. Really pulling out all the stops... Might be time to start an Early Project thread.
    18. Needle
      Needle
      I can practically taste the weekend. Strangely enough, it tastes like old towels
    19. Needle
      Needle
      Been looking for a nice, slow, mysterious song for my busted up tower map... Haven't had much luck the past few days.
      1. Ms Littlefish
        Ms Littlefish
        If you give me some context and images of the map I would be happy to write something for you. :)
        May 16, 2014
      2. Bonkers
        Bonkers
        May 16, 2014
      3. Needle
        Needle
        I may take you up on that song offer! Let me get some stuff together...
        May 16, 2014
    20. Needle
      Needle
      Randomized lthunder and lightning! Yes yes yes yes yes yes
      1. EternalShadow
        EternalShadow
        Done that, it's awesome :D
        May 15, 2014
  • About

Birthday:
    September 13
    First Language:
    English
    My name is Nick, and I'm an alcoholic.... no wait, let me start over.

I grew up farming Warmechs outside of Tiamat's room with my four-Master Final Fantasy party, if that gives you any idea as to my personality. I just want to have fun. I want to find everything. I don't want to use the FAQ. And I want to drink a beer in celebration when I'm done.

I bought RPG Maker VX Ace when it was randomly on sale one day on Steam, and after fooling around with it for an hour, I wrote it off as "not what I was looking for".

Six months later I picked it up again and decided it was fine. I'm currently making a game with no title and no feasible story. Why? Because right now I just want a game that feels like the ones I played in an earlier day. I want a game where I can walk around an arbitrary room, run into some Pink Puffs, and maybe, just maybe, get a pink tail I can trade in for some boss armor. I want a game where the character names are pronounceable, and likely have just the right number of consonants and vowels, and absolutely no apostrophes. I want a game about regular dudes doing regular stuff, not necessarily saving the world or fighting evil or questioning religious beliefs. It's all so heavy handed these days.

Level design is sort of my Special Power, but I came up through art college, and have quite a bit of programming know-how too. So there are no limits to my abilities, except perhaps for the whole "I have a full time job and my free time is limited" thing. So I have a very carefree attitude about building my game. No deadlines, no hard goals, no absolute hopes of completion. But I enjoy the work and the experience, and someday I hope you'll enjoy it too.

Interact

Content:
    AIM:
    Raptorian Box
    Twitter:
    TheNickRoss

Signature

[​IMG]

@TheNickRoss on Twitter! Come do Video Games with me!