Needle

Sharp as a Tack, Male, from Dallas, TX

Veteran

I wonder if I could get away with playing Shovel Knight at work. Jul 9, 2014

Needle was last seen:
Mar 24, 2016
    1. Needle
      Needle
      People can be as late as they want on their own time, but when it costs me my time... unforgivable.
    2. Needle
      Needle
      Sometimes I amaze myself while I'm building crazy maps. Then I realize everything I've done has been done by someone else before, but better. Sigh
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Needle
        Needle
        SUper proud with how much I've learned in the past few months! But I must get better if I want to blow anyone away!
        May 14, 2014
      3. Sharm
        Sharm
        I know that feeling very much, only with creating the tilesets not mapping. It's a hard thing to keep working through.
        May 14, 2014
      4. Needle
        Needle
        It's extremely discouraging.All the same, even if it's just a modified RTP, I feel like I have something to offer this community. Gotta finish this project!
        May 14, 2014
    3. Needle
      Needle
      Haven't missed a GMD post yet... I've already gotten so much done this month, it's uncanny.
      1. Bonkers
        Bonkers
        That's the power of focusing. I managed a few tile set elements and animations myself.
        May 13, 2014
    4. Needle
      Needle
      I had a dream about building complex events. I think my life is officially forfeit now.
    5. Needle
      Needle
      There's a train crossing outside of my work building, and there must be a short circuit or something because the warning gates keep going down :D
    6. Needle
      Needle
      Starting to realize the insane power of making character sheets for inanimate objects... Suddenly maps are dynamic and no scripting is required!
      1. Thalzon
        Thalzon
        Be aware too many events will cause your maps to lag like hell, though.
        May 9, 2014
      2. Needle
        Needle
        Oh I've gone down that path already, and learned my lesson. I think, if anything, this leads me towards making bigger and more visually interesting events, not necessarily more events.
        May 9, 2014
    7. Needle
      Needle
      Been having ridiculous fun overdoing my May GMD posts. I hope people are finding them entertaining.
    8. Needle
      Needle
      Hey guys, video games!
      2. Needle
        Needle
        Trying to get through Tales of Vesperia but it's not holding my attention. Maybe Suikoden 1, 2, 5 next?
        May 8, 2014
      3. ElementalLight
        ElementalLight
        Tales of vesperia is a great game once you get to the mid way things speed up (at the mid point i was able to get to final in a day) then agian i am natoris (not really) for how fast i beat games in the tales of series. if you dont like vesperia i recomend tales of symphonia it is one of the est games if not the best in the series and recently got a HD remake with its sequel to ps3.
        May 8, 2014
      4. Needle
        Needle
        You're not the first to recommend Symphonia, that one comes up a lot. My Tales experience begins and ends with the original Tales of Destiny for PS1. Vesperia continuously adds new game play functions to the battle system and honestly, it's starting to wig me out!
        May 8, 2014
    9. Needle
      Needle
      My work facility is infested with pill bugs. I think I found my first battler.
    10. Needle
      Needle
      Good morning! It's Cinco de Mayo, which means "Great Excuse to get Drunk and Write Bad RPG Dialogue!"
      2. Needle
        Needle
        I've actually never tried this, but I think I may be game... might have to stop by the ol' watering hole!
        May 5, 2014
      3. AnWe
        AnWe
        I did this a few days ago when we celebrated the first of May where I live. The finished product was full of really crude language, memes and just really questionable content. Hope it works out better for you!
        May 6, 2014
      4. Needle
        Needle
        I *live* for questionable content! :D
        May 6, 2014
    11. Needle
      Needle
      Worked out a "God Light" map effect using two moving pictures with various opacities. Subtle but effective.
    12. Needle
      Needle
      Having trouble finding out if there's a way to make sprites with longer animation cycles than what RPGMaker defaults to. The information is either in front of my face or it doesn't exist.
    13. Needle
      Needle
      Found the Clumping tutorial. Holy crap, why didn't I already think of this?
    14. Needle
      Needle
      Recently learned Ithat my 6-day work week will become a 5-day work week in May. I have never had obligation-free weekends in my entire professional career.
      2. Needle
        Needle
        I can't even wait! Knowing that my facility isn't burning to the ground every weekend is a huge burden off my shoulders. Productivity through the roof! :D
        May 1, 2014
      3. Engr. Adiktuzmiko
        Engr. Adiktuzmiko
        I on the other hand might be starting to work on a 6-day workweek if I get the job I applied for... Good bye to my free times...
        May 1, 2014
      4. Needle
        Needle
        To be fair, you do get used to it after a while. And hopefully 6 days = overtime! Cash money!
        May 2, 2014
    15. Needle
      Needle
      Last day of April! Hope your month was as productive as mine.
      1. mlogan
        mlogan
        Nope, not all, lol! Glad to hear it was a good month for you!
        Apr 30, 2014
    16. Needle
      Needle
      Tuesdays mean get to the real job at 4AM. It's always desolate this time of day and there's no one to talk to!
      2. Needle
        Needle
        On the reverse side, it's nice to see the sunrise every day.
        Apr 29, 2014
      3. Ms Littlefish
        Ms Littlefish
        It is amazing. No matter where I go I love a good sunrise but living in the tropics really took the cake when I saw the sun come up there.
        Apr 29, 2014
      4. Needle
        Needle
        The tropics! That sounds nice right about now... But I guess I should concentrate on finishing my work day :p
        Apr 30, 2014
    17. Needle
      Needle
      Thought of an insane cutscene where three characters float away on a detached cliff down a lava river. Thought it would be impossible. Finished it today. Success!
      1. Dark_Metamorphosis
        Dark_Metamorphosis
        You can do everything you set your mind to *Katching!*
        Apr 27, 2014
    18. Needle
      Needle
      Starting to realize that I make my maps really large... Hope the community is up for a challenge, I'm definitely going to need more save points!
    19. Needle
      Needle
      Starts a Blog here so I can track my progress, share my scribbles, and wax on endlessly about old-school game design. It should be a hoot.
    20. Needle
      Needle
      Currently mapping a fire dungeon in which everything - EVERYTHING - is purple. Pretty sure I'm upsetting the RPG Gods.
      2. Scythuz
        Scythuz
        Solid lava is purple in quite a few cases anyway
        Apr 19, 2014
      3. Needle
        Needle
        Totally agree - it's not necessarily a leap, but I'm having fun getting away from hues of red. Also: Lots of purple jokes!
        Apr 19, 2014
      4. BradCVille
        BradCVille
        Make it gray. The flame so hot, it can burn color :p
        Apr 19, 2014
  • About

Birthday:
    September 13
    First Language:
    English
    My name is Nick, and I'm an alcoholic.... no wait, let me start over.

I grew up farming Warmechs outside of Tiamat's room with my four-Master Final Fantasy party, if that gives you any idea as to my personality. I just want to have fun. I want to find everything. I don't want to use the FAQ. And I want to drink a beer in celebration when I'm done.

I bought RPG Maker VX Ace when it was randomly on sale one day on Steam, and after fooling around with it for an hour, I wrote it off as "not what I was looking for".

Six months later I picked it up again and decided it was fine. I'm currently making a game with no title and no feasible story. Why? Because right now I just want a game that feels like the ones I played in an earlier day. I want a game where I can walk around an arbitrary room, run into some Pink Puffs, and maybe, just maybe, get a pink tail I can trade in for some boss armor. I want a game where the character names are pronounceable, and likely have just the right number of consonants and vowels, and absolutely no apostrophes. I want a game about regular dudes doing regular stuff, not necessarily saving the world or fighting evil or questioning religious beliefs. It's all so heavy handed these days.

Level design is sort of my Special Power, but I came up through art college, and have quite a bit of programming know-how too. So there are no limits to my abilities, except perhaps for the whole "I have a full time job and my free time is limited" thing. So I have a very carefree attitude about building my game. No deadlines, no hard goals, no absolute hopes of completion. But I enjoy the work and the experience, and someday I hope you'll enjoy it too.

Interact

Content:
    AIM:
    Raptorian Box
    Twitter:
    TheNickRoss

Signature

[​IMG]

@TheNickRoss on Twitter! Come do Video Games with me!