Feb 24, 2019 at 9:02 AM
Birthday:
Feb 10, 1986 (Age: 33)
It's a secret

Share This Page

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped..., 33, from Fukuoka, Japan

Veteran

Not a lot of tutorials for VN Maker out there on YouTube... or anywhere else either it seems. Such a promising engine, so little support. :/ Feb 17, 2019

Parallax Panda was last seen:
Feb 24, 2019 at 9:02 AM
    1. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      What cool locations could I add to my semi-open world I wonder? After a few hours of mapping my head just goes blank! :/
      1. View previous comments...
      2. starlight dream
        starlight dream
        Wasn't making fun. I SERIOUSLY thought you meant Medical.^^ There are so many sub-genres it's hard to tell if they exist!
        Mar 11, 2018
        Parallax Panda likes this.
      3. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        Haha, Probably didn’t help that I put in within these -> “” right? A medical rpg... we may be on to something new and groundbreaking here, hm? ;)
        Mar 11, 2018
        starlight dream likes this.
      4. starlight dream
        starlight dream
        Exactly "those marks" made it look like it's soooo underground, you didn't expect me to know it.. Haha

I thought it was either a weird Hospital game or it was the classic "go find medicine" quest. The 2nd made more sense :p
        Mar 11, 2018
    2. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      Hm...Where on this forum should one ask the community for help in finding available (not requesting new) resources? Still resource requests?
      1. VertigoAffliction likes this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        I thought that might be the case too. It's just that it seems it's more for asking people to make you something from scratch while I mostly wanted to ask if anyone have seen "X" or "Y" anywhere. :)
        Mar 3, 2018
        VertigoAffliction likes this.
      4. starlight dream
        starlight dream
        Yup resource requests. It's for finding specific resources, and if they don't exist, maybe someone can make them :)
        Mar 3, 2018
      5. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        @starlight dream I made a thread. Let's see if anyone bites. I'm not hoping or even expecting anyone to make something for me, but maybe it already exists somewhere. That's what I'm hoping for. :)
        Mar 3, 2018
    3. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      Looking back, the VxAce RTP looks a lot better than the MV RTP. While MV has a lot more stuff, I still prefer the tiles & chars from VxAce.
      1. VertigoAffliction likes this.
      3. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        @slimmmeiske2 Yes the size is a big part of it. And it's a given that when you bloat the size to 48x you need to fill that space with something, and they made the call to put more details and use a larger color palette and the result is they lost the "classsic" pixel feel. And even though I'm sure some like it, it's such a weird choice. 16x & 32x is standard tile sizes. Even 24x isn't that uncommon, but 48x?
        Feb 23, 2018
        VertigoAffliction likes this.
      4. SOC
        SOC
        The size increase was for better usability and compatibility for smart phones and browser clicking.
        Feb 23, 2018
      5. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        @SOC larger tiles for better click-abillity on smartphone screens makes sense. Although not many people seem to bother to port or develop for smartphones in the end anyway :D
        Feb 24, 2018
    4. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      Why is it so difficult to spend ~1hour every day working EFFICIENTLY on your project? I know I could (and should), but... procrastination...
      1. EpicFILE and Sauteed_Onion like this.
      3. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        @TheoAllen
        Exactly, that's what most peoples girlfriends/boyfriends/husbands/wifes sound like! :D
        Jan 6, 2018
        Sauteed_Onion likes this.
      4. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        @Sauteed_Onion I think we all do to some extent. It's a constant battle we have to fight with ourselves in order to get anything done in our lives. I wish I could focus and get to work like a industrious super hero! :D
        Jan 6, 2018
      5. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        @EpicFILE Well, that doesn't solve the problem I have with focusing on the work at hand. My mind easily goes astray and even when I try to get stuff done (open the database in RM, put the pen to the paper, close my eyes and try to think etc). It would be nice if I could not only force myself to sit down and do what needs to be done, but actually doing it 100% and not half-assing it.
        Jan 6, 2018
        EpicFILE and Sauteed_Onion like this.
    5. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      HAPPY NEW YEAR! ...It's a little early but since I'll be offline from now until the ~4th, I might as well say it now.
      1. mlogan, Sauteed_Onion and Kwerty like this.
      2. Kwerty
        Kwerty
        Same to you!
        Dec 31, 2017
        Sauteed_Onion and Parallax Panda like this.
      3. Sauteed_Onion
        Sauteed_Onion
        Thanks for all the help Parallax Panda. ;3
        Dec 31, 2017
      4. Parallax Panda
        Jan 3, 2018
    6. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      I’d like to play some RPG maker made games with exceptional battle system/mechanics. Something out of the ordinary that forces you to think.
      1. Cray and Sauteed_Onion like this.
      3. Matseb2611
        Matseb2611
        'Eremidia Dungeon: Skyward Temple' and 'Northwall' had really fun, strategic battles. Also that commercial game, Unraveled, had some very nice battles, though I only played the IGMC version of it.
        Dec 27, 2017
      4. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        @Matseb2611 Nice! I've quite a list of games to check out now. Trying to get some inspiration for the direction of my own battle system.

(still not done playing Incitement 2 btw)
        Dec 27, 2017
        Matseb2611 likes this.
      5. Matseb2611
        Matseb2611
        It's indeed a nice idea to play other RM games for inspiration. I do that from time to time too.
        Dec 29, 2017
    7. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      It's past midnight here so... MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE~!
      2. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        @starlight dream Yes, I miss Swedish christmas overall. Family, food and snow. In Japan they got it all wrong. They eat strawberry short-cake and Kentucky fried chicken on christmas. No, I'm not even joking. That's really their (commercial) tradition here. It's a little sad...
        Dec 24, 2017
      3. starlight dream
        starlight dream
        A little? It's VERY sad! :( What do they leave out for Santa? A burger?
        And who comes down the chimney? Santa Claus or the Colonel?:p
        Sigh. It's nice learning about traditions though.

Have you been in Japan for a long time?
        Dec 25, 2017
      4. HexMozart88
        HexMozart88
        As much as I love KFC, I don't really find that to be a very appropriate Christmas dinner. XD
        Dec 25, 2017
    8. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      Debating with myself if I could (and should) start a new project and finish it before the next year? A little less than a month? Possible?
      2. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        @Matseb2611 Glad to help out. I'll be playing Incitement 2 next and when I'm down with that I'll let you know what I thought (and if I found any bugs) again. I'm pretty good at finding bugs actually, probably because I play RPG's like I have OCD and push against every wall and talk to every NPC.
        Dec 12, 2017
        Matseb2611 likes this.
      3. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        @Matseb2611 I might send you a PM in the future, asking for some more advice if I get close to actually releasing anything on STEAM or other platforms.
        In any case, what you've already told me have been greatly informative so thanks for that again :)
        Dec 12, 2017
        Matseb2611 likes this.
      4. Matseb2611
        Matseb2611
        Awesome. Feedback is always great, so thank you. I sometimes walk into objects to check for passability when playing RM games too (kind of an instinct by now).
        And sure thing. Feel free to drop me a message if you want to ask something. Glad this discussion has helped to shed light on some things. :)
        Dec 12, 2017
    9. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      NaNoWriMo is around the corner! I'm participating (for the first time), but I've not yet decided on what to write about! Plotting is HARD!
      2. starlight dream
        starlight dream
        The perfectionist side scares me to start things. It likes to forget there is something called correction and thinks it has to do great from the get-go. Rethinking and fixing things later is a fun part of the process too. If I see NaNoWriMo as Kick The Inner Perfectionist Month I feel more motivated to join ;) I wish you to be free of its control and reach your goal (rooting for you)
        Oct 31, 2017
        Marsigne and Parallax Panda like this.
      3. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        Thank you! It's less than 6 and ½ hours until November 1st, 00:01 in my timezone so I'm starting to feel the pressure. Especially since I've not fully prepared what I wanted to prepare yet (general plot, name lists, etc).
        Oct 31, 2017
      4. starlight dream
        starlight dream
        I wish you a good spark of creativity... now!! :LZSgrin:
        Oct 31, 2017
        Marsigne likes this.
    10. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      Wow! I look away for a minute and realize that IGMC is back...and started about ~3 weeks ago. Darn it. Oh well, maybe next time (next year?)
      1. starlight dream and Guiguimu like this.
      3. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        @Guiguimu If you got an awesome idea for a small game that you think you could finish within a month (IGMC time frame), then I think you should still do it. Maybe not for IGMC, but for yourself. If you have the time to put into it that is...
        Oct 21, 2017
        Guiguimu likes this.
      4. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        @bgillisp The worst that could happen is that you'd spend those two weeks stressing over a project that you end up not even finishing (which is what I concluded would be the most likely thing to happen for me when I asked myself that very same question).
        I thought about it myself for about 48 hours before I came to the conclusion that my time was probably better spend elsewhere.
        Oct 21, 2017
        Guiguimu likes this.
      5. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        @bgillisp But there were a lot of other aspects of my life situation that lead me to that answer. Might not be true for you comrade. If you have an idea and think you can finish something that would meet your standards. Or just have the luxury of time, then why not go for it? IGMC is a really fun event after all :)
        Oct 21, 2017
        Guiguimu likes this.
    11. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      I slept in until ~14:00! Craaazy! Oh well, time to start up MV! This game ain't gonna make itself (maybe in future versions of RM?):kaoslp:
      1. starlight dream likes this.
      2. starlight dream
        starlight dream
        Degica must hire you! ;)
        Sep 8, 2017
      3. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        Oh yeah, please hire me Degica! I'm actually unemployed atm :D ....never mind that I tend to sleep until after lunch hour! :p
        Sep 8, 2017
      4. starlight dream
        starlight dream
        That's good you can be on the night shift. And turn them into a 24-hour business!
        You have so much to offer. (Put in a good word for me too, ok? I'm all about insomnia and late-night RM) ^^
        Sep 8, 2017
    12. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      This is the first time that I'm REALLY sinking my teeth into the database, trying to create things. It is more work than I thought.:kaosigh:
      1. Marsigne and Daena Grey like this.
    13. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      I have a vauge memory of reading about some DLC pack that also contained a (pixel?) font? Unless my memory is failing me, what DLC is this?
      2. Kes
        Kes
        Please don't use Status Updates to ask questions like this. Resource Requests is the place to post.
        Sep 3, 2017
      3. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        @Kes My bad, I'll do that next time. Sorry!

@Sharm Nice! I remembered correctly, woo! I was confused since "a new font" was not listed in the list of content in neither the online store or on STEAM.
        Just the font alone would be worth the money for me but I'm glad it was actually in a pack I wanted anyway! Really good value!
        Sep 3, 2017
      4. Sharm
        Sharm
        Thank you! I know how hard it is to find a font that's actually free to use and I wanted people to have an option to use that matches the pixel look of the set.
        Sep 3, 2017
    14. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      Going back to a filed project after a couple of months is very confusing. I've no idea what I was doing. This will take some time.. :kaocry:
      1. Verdelite and slimmmeiske2 like this.
      3. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        @slimmmeiske2 A year... that's a long time. I don't think it's been a year for me but probably something like 7-9 months.. I can't even remember when I was working on this project seriously. But I spent a LOT of time on it and I think it has to much potential to just scrap. Problem is I stopped working on it because I ran out of ideas and I still don't have any new ones.
        Aug 30, 2017
      4. slimmmeiske2
        slimmmeiske2
        That's pretty long as well though. What I often do in situations like this (yes long hiatuses are kinda my thing >.>) is to play/go through your project start to finish. Because at the moment you're looking at it with a fresh set of eyes and you might discover parts that need to be fixed/improved and parts that you enjoy/spark your creativity.
        Aug 30, 2017
      5. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        @slimmmeiske2 Good advice but most of my projects are not playable even when I've worked on them a lot. Simply because my workflow makes me focus on one element at the time; dialogue, maps, character, battles, etc
        Aug 30, 2017
    15. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      Can anyone show me any (finished) commercial games out there that uses the DS or DS+ tilesets?
      2. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        @Dalph Thank you! Helped me a lot!
        Aug 24, 2017
        Dalph likes this.
      3. Kes
        Aug 25, 2017
        Susan, Parallax Panda and Dalph like this.
      4. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        @Kes Thank you. It seems like that game uses a lot of other art assets as well that is not from the DS sets. But it's still very informative.
        Aug 25, 2017
    16. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      Echo607 is back on YouTube!? Woo! That's great!
      1. Arcmagik and leenat40 like this.
      2. BoredSoul
        BoredSoul
        Yup... she came back from a dark depression but she fought through.
        Aug 15, 2017
      3. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        I can respect anyone who manage to do that. I had some problems myself 10 years ago and it's not always easy to explain it to people since it's an invisible ailment. I hope she's planning to revitalize her YouTube channel in the near future :)
        Aug 16, 2017
    17. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      Sorting my newly purchased FSM Woods&Caves tiles into my TileD library. I don't want to complain but GOD, there's SO MUCH! :kaodes:
      1. Philosophus Vagus
        Philosophus Vagus
        I should figure out how to set up Tiled, but I'm barely competent at the normal mapping system and using Yanfly's doodads as it is. Sounds complicated too, I just copy/pasted fsm's tiles and settings and everything worked in minutes the regular way.
        Aug 13, 2017
      2. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        Well, I'm the kind of person who wants my maps to be close to perfect and RM, while easy and quick to get started with, can't produce those perfect maps for me.

In case you were wondering I don't use the TileD plugin, I use parallax mapping and export any maps I make as PNG's and finish them up in GIMP.

TileD isn't that difficult at all if you do the passability in RM. It's just placing tiles on different layers!
        Aug 13, 2017
    18. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      I just lost my day-job just like that. No warning. Three days before my new contact would be issued... they dropped me. Bastards! *Whine*
      2. Wavelength
        Wavelength
        Either way, I hope you can keep your head up and look for another good opportunity or path for your near future! Sometimes things happen for a reason, sometimes they're a blessing in disguise, and sometimes they're not but you can still find a good way to make the best of it. :)
        Mar 29, 2017
        Marsigne likes this.
      3. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        Thanks! Yeah well, I didn't like my job in the first place. I don't have any such proof either but I'd rather try to get what I know I can get from this bad situation. Which is a positive review from me ex-boss when I apply for my next job. They are really strict about your work history when hiring in Japan so it's important not to mess that up.
        Mar 30, 2017
      4. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        @Trihan Well, unfortunately you have very little leverage in japan as a employee. You are expected to be very loyal, work a lot and not question authority - even when they're wrong. All generally speaking of course. Fairly easy to get fired too (depends on your job).
        Mar 30, 2017
    19. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      Finally Linux support for MV! It's great to see how much support MV gets compared to previous makers.
      2. Reapergurl
        Reapergurl
        I live in the US. I mean, my location says Germany, but that's a fantasy, and Mordhaus doesn't really exist.

I have a f*ckton of debts and bills to pay every month, and my $9.xx / hour salary is decent enough to cover that and if I am lucky, < $45 left for food and luxuries.

"You be positive, I'll be realistic!" - Uncle Frank, Home Alone lol
        Mar 28, 2017
      3. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        Well I have something like 65.000$ in debt myself, please don't remind me. My current salary is not even enough to keep up with those payments so I'm temporarily allowed not to pay (which just means I'll have to pay more later :/ )... Frankly, it sucks. I dislike my job too! I have so much to whine about, really.

But I don't feel like giving up on myself. And I don't think you should either! Fight! :)
        Mar 29, 2017
        Reapergurl likes this.
      4. Reapergurl
        Reapergurl
        I honestly like my job, I just don't get paid well (but I'm one of at least a hundred underpaid employees).

If I have to, I'll use a Deus Ex Machina to clear my debts.
        Mar 29, 2017
    20. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      Decided to make a small game. Spent 3 days on a village map. Realized I still don't have any story or characters... or ideas. Crap.:kaoeh:
      2. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        I hope that'll be the case but I generally have no problem crunshing out maps. Coming up with a story I like enough to complete on the other hand... But yeah, one day I might use it for something.
        Feb 27, 2017
      3. Trihan
        Trihan
        I'll do you a swap then: you make the maps for my game and I'll come up with your storyline and characters. :p
        Feb 27, 2017
      4. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        haha, I'll think I'll pass on that offer, but I'd like to see your game if you have a project thread or something going. :D
        Feb 27, 2017
  • About

Birthday:
    Feb 10, 1986 (Age: 33)
    It's a secret
    First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM

Signature

[​IMG]