Awarded Medals 1

Birthday:
Feb 10, 1986 (Age: 33)
It's a secret

Share This Page

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped..., 33, from Fukuoka, Japan

Veteran

Not a lot of tutorials for VN Maker out there on YouTube... or anywhere else either it seems. Such a promising engine, so little support. :/ Feb 17, 2019

Parallax Panda was last seen:
Apr 18, 2019 at 8:48 PM
    1. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      Coming back to RPGmaker after a few months break. It's good to once again have the time and inspiration for it. And since there've been new resources released and even an update to the engine itself while I was away, everything feels real fresh for me now! :D Cheers~!
      1. 3 people like this.
    2. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      Will I ever finish my first "real" game? That's the question I keep asking myself every day nowadays. ;_;
      1. 1 person likes this.
      2. GoodSelf
        GoodSelf
        I'm right there with you - it's a lot of work for one person. I'm only 5% done with my game and its

just this large looming presence.
        Aug 18, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      3. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        Just pace it carefully. I'm finally able to say that I'm close to done with mine, as you can play it from start to finish (just got to fix the bugs and optional zones now). However, that was after working on it about 20 hours a week for 2 years (40 hours/week on breaks). Just set very manageable goals for each month, and pace yourself carefully and you'll make it.
        Aug 18, 2016
        2 people like this.
      4. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        @GoodSelf

5%... I think I'd put myself somewhere around there too. I've done things a bit backwards some might say since I have tilesets, a general theme, music and SFX but no story, characters or maps. I guess you could say I don't really have a game at the moment just... stuff that will go into a game at some point. I've not been able to decide on a general direction for the story for about 2 months which is what's making me feel all this stress I guess. Nice to see that I'm not alone in this dark pit of self pity and despair though... ;_; :thumbsup-right:

@bgillisp

Must feel really nice when you can see the end of it. Congratulations in advance on getting all that work done. Pacing is important of course, but while I could say that I'm an expert on it theoretically I'm terrible at applying it practically. I had a goal of a general outline for my story which was due 1 month ago... didn't happen. :p

20/40 hours a week for 2 years is a lot of time though. I have too little time and to many things going on in my life to dedicate that much time to one single game at the moment. It might sound strange to some but while I intend to make as good of a game I can (with what I have, be it time or resources), I'm actually aiming for mediocrity. I'm not going to spend a lot of time making this game awesome or perfect. I'll be satisfied with a, hopefully, somewhat good game that I can complete within about ~1 year. I can always make that perfect game in the future.

I do have a hard time getting started on my story though...
        Aug 18, 2016
    3. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      Any good games made with VX "samurai pack" out there? I'd love to play one...
    4. slimmmeiske2
      slimmmeiske2
      Oh~ I see you're living in Fukuoka. I've lived there myself for a year. Where exactly are you staying? I stayed in Kashii. :)
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        Haha, yeah, I guess it does explain a lot huh? :D I mean, I was supposed to go study in China afterwards and then move back to Sweden. Living in a foreign country is difficult and Japan is no different. In some aspects, Japan might actually be more difficult then most western countries because as you said, it's hard to make Japanese friends here and their culture is very different to what you are used to.
        It's a very Japanese thing I think. Most Japanese people make their (good) friends early on in life and if you befriend them later on it's very hard to get past their "tatemai" ( 建前 ). Everyone is so concerned with not making anyone uncomfortable that you can know someone for 5 years and still don't know them. I actually don't have any close Japanese friends to this day. :p

But when I first arrived I went to a language school which was a good opportunity to get to know a lot of foreigners. I made friends with them and through them I got to know a few Japanese people also. It did however get a little lonely about 2 years ago when most of my friends went back to their countries and I chose to stay... but, what can you do? :unsure:

As for work I (currently) do what most foreigners do which (of course) is teaching English (and Swedish). It's not ideal and not something I want to keep doing forever but I'll probably keep doing it for a little longer. I am (slowly) trying to get a bachelors degree in Japanese on the side though a Swedish university that offers distant learning so there is that as well. What about you, how good is your Japanese?

And yeah, not much to see in Wajiro so you didn't miss anything. When I want to do something I also go to Tenjin or Hakata, that's the place(es) to be! That BOOK OFF store you mentioned in Tenjin, is it the one that's in the same building as the post office mayhap?
        May 24, 2016
      3. slimmmeiske2
        slimmmeiske2
        I always enjoy hearing it wasn't just me who had trouble. Some of the other Belgian exchange students who went to different towns/universities had a whole bunch of Japanese friends, including some boyfriends/girlfriends. It made me think it was my fault somehow, even though all the other foreigners I met told me the exact same as you did :)

I also had other foreigners as friends, so I wasn't completely alone all the time, but you know I had expected at least a few/one close Japanese friend(s). It's too bad that never happened, but not much to be done about I suppose. 

Ah yes, teaching English. Do you teach it at a school or is it more tutoring that you do? I took the JLPT N2 when I was in Japan and passed it :) (Though by now, my knowledge has shrunk yet again, so I'm probably N3/between N2-N3 :( )

Yes, the one right next to the post office. (If my memory serves me it wasn't the same building). It's that super BOOK OFF, where you have one floor for clothes and accessories and one floor with books/manga/CD/DVD/toys/etc. I bought so many manga, CDs, games and figurines from there; I literally needed three suitcases and two boxes to get all the stuff I bought home :p  

I've been wanting to purchase some games for my 3DS, but they're pretty expensive to import unfortunately :(  
        May 24, 2016
      4. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        I teach English at a high school in Tenjin but since I don't have a official license to do so I'm more of a ALT I guess. And then I do some Swedish private lessons on the side, I didn't really plan for that, just stumbled into that opportunity because of someone I know.

I probably should take the N2 again at some point. I took the test in 2012 and failed by a small margin twice. Since then I've not really bothered with it, mostly because of the admission price. Always told myself that I can pass it later since I don't really need it right now.

Ah, the BOOK OFF super bazaar, right? I go sometimes to look for retro games although the only thing I've ever bought there was a SEGA Mega Drive model 1 (which I am very happy with). :) Not much of a manga reader anymore but I usually go to the more expensive (but well-stocked) Mandarake to look for games. Then there is Manga Souko, GEO and those kinds of stores scattered all over the city. I used to go look for old Super Famicom games a lot but as my collection has grown I don't do it as often any more.

Unlike the old consoles the 3DS does not have that many region exclusive games, does it? Usually I import my 3DS games from VideoGamePlus or Play-Asia since I prefer the American release - if there is one. What kind of games do you play?
        May 25, 2016
    5. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      I hope my 4-layered 2208x1872 parallax maps won't end up as to performance heavy! 
    6. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      I am sure I saw a MV plugin for "animated" faces/portraits (used in dialogue) about a month ago, but now I can't find it... What happened??
      1. OM3GA-Z3RO
        OM3GA-Z3RO
        Imagination maybe?
        Jan 11, 2016
      2. Kyuukon
        Kyuukon
        ??
        Jan 11, 2016
    7. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      Which are the BEST music DLC packs on Steam according to you? Thought I should check it out because of the Christmas sale.
      2. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        okay Classic Fantasy has a good variety, The blackheart power and the nothing battles have intense rock/heavy songs, retrospective is great for older style music, inspirational vol 3 has some wonderful tracks, shrouded wonder is good for puzzle games. That's all I know off the top of my head. You can always listen to the sample tracks to get a feel for them.
        Dec 25, 2015
      3. Euphony
        Euphony
        I just bought the Harmonic pack during the sale and it's amazeballs. I'm particularly picky about battle themes, but I love all the ones this pack includes. Honestly it seems kind of underrated, cause I don't remember hearing about it much.
        Dec 25, 2015
      4. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        @VoxKringles & @Elfony

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to check everything you rekommendes out later tonight.
        Dec 25, 2015
    8. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      Merry Christmas everyone (it's 00:54 where I live)!
      2. jayzon
        jayzon
        Merry Christmas !!
        Dec 24, 2015
      3. NeoFantasy
        NeoFantasy
        Merry Christmas?
        Dec 24, 2015
      4. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        @Seacliff

I live in Japan so that would be "Tokyo time" :)

@EternalShadow

Exactly, and the 24th is Christmas Eve!
        Dec 24, 2015
    9. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      Soon it's time for the yearly "Bōnenkai". Also known as the "drink-until-you-drop-and-forget-the-past-year" company party we have to endure in Japan. If it were not for the constant presure to socialize (the polite japanese way) and the need to refill others cups, it COULD be a lot more fun.
    10. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      4 days vacation starting tomorrow! I should be able to have enough RTP edits to start thinking about making a game afterwards, or so I hope.
    11. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      Learning GIMP. Any RPGmaker focused GIMP tutorials out there?
    12. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      Rise and shine, there is bamboo to be eaten, games to be made!
    13. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      It's 03:41 and I need caffeine dammit! Black rings under my eyes, but I'm a panda so that's nothing new I guess.
      2. Amysaurus
        Amysaurus
        *plays sad violin*
        Nov 14, 2015
      3. Amysaurus
        Nov 14, 2015
      4. Parallax Panda
    14. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      11th November (11.11) is the official Pocky day in Japan and I forgot and didn't buy any. Makes me a sad Panda.
      2. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        I can't eat those anymore due to having to be gluten free.
        Nov 12, 2015
      3. Hoppy
        Hoppy
        I'm don't care too much about pocky for some reason. I like mochi though.
        Nov 12, 2015
      4. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        Pocky is nothing special, just chocolate on a stick really! But I take any excuse I can to eat sweet stuff!ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ ~ポッキーの日! Om nom nom nom...
        Nov 12, 2015
    15. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      Just saw a REAL panda at the zoo in Kobe. 幸せ~ ( ^▽^)
    16. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      I'm at Universal Studios Japan, chilling outside of Hogwarts!
      2. Euphony
        Euphony
        (ლ゚o ゚ლ)
        Nov 6, 2015
      3. NeoFantasy
        NeoFantasy
        Wanna trade places, I have a day of exams tomorrow isn't that more fun than being at universals?
        Nov 6, 2015
      4. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        I can't trade with you guys but I can tell you that the tickets for the bio hazard attraktion was sold out. :(

Makes me a sad panda.
        Nov 6, 2015
    17. Parallax Panda
      Parallax Panda
      Riding Shinkansen (新幹線) for the first time in my life. Smooth sailing from Fukuoka to Kobe~
      1. Hoppy
        Hoppy
        I'd be a little terrified to go on trains in Japan at night these days, with all of the senseless suicides going on I may see spirits of those who committed suicide by train.
        Nov 5, 2015
      2. Crimson Dragon Inc.
        Crimson Dragon Inc.
        spirits only harm those of weak spirit and mind, as long as you have as strong mind they will leave you in peace or ask you to do a quest for them to set their spirit free
        Nov 5, 2015
      3. Parallax Panda
        Parallax Panda
        It's still noon in Japan so there will be no dead spirits on my train!
        Nov 5, 2015
  • About

Birthday:
    Feb 10, 1986 (Age: 33)
    It's a secret
    First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM

Signature

[​IMG]