Philosophus Vagus
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Torn between wanting to keep helping my little bro and family with their increasingly bad luck and being exhausted from doing so all month.
    Reactions: The Stranger
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    That's exactly what I thought and almost said when she told me her mom had three cars sitting in her driveway, in addition to her father's truck. But nope, leave it to the guy living well below the poverty line (not that I'm poor really, but the statistics that the U.S. use are really off kilter, outside of legitimate homelessness we don't know what that word means)
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    but it's accurate enough to say that I can't help them out at all financially. That's the drop off though, if they fall behind to the point of losing their mailing address it's all over, you virtually cannot become employed at that point (though thankfully there are shelters for women and children, which is why the homeless rate is overwhelmingly male) and are pretty much ignored on all statistics once that happens.
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Yeah, same thing over here. The vast majority of homeless folk are men. You do find the odd woman, but they're in the minority. Women have loads of different types of shelters they can go to - abuse shelters, homeless shelters, etc. Men only have hostels here; which are always full, and tend to be crime ridden Sh*tholes.
    Police dramas need to quit using the 'dumb cop' card to keep the story going. 2-3 times is okay, but when every season has 10+ times
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    where the bad guy would have been caught if not for some stupid move by the guys hunting them then I'd think it's well past time to end the series already. Also applies to crime games that I have seen, but it's not so bad of a plot device the first or second time, it just becomes really irritating when it's constantly expanding the plot.
    I was rereading the transcript for my project and realized that 7/9 of the endgame paths are really depressing, and the remaining two are
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    I love stories with those types of endings. Never been a fan of happy endings, nor those which have the protagonist achieve everything they wanted with very few sacrifices or things going wrong.
    Verdelite
    Verdelite
    I feel the same way as @The Stranger! If you think that a happy ending wouldn't fit, then there's no need to force it! I personally prefer bittersweet endings since they're more memorable than perfectly happy ones, but I'm sure that even people that like happy endings would find a ending that matches the theme/mood of your game more fitting and thus satisfying than a shoe-horned happy ending.
    Caitlin
    Caitlin
    I like happy endings, but even when there are happy endings, it isn't always happy for everyone. I, also, don't like "FORCED" endings and it would depend on what sort of games you were making to depend on the endings. If your game doesn't suit 'happy' endings, you might try adding more neutral endings to the mix.
    Dog is so spoiled he lays in front of the ac, then looks hurt when I push him away from it as the lack of airflow makes my desktop overheat.
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    That time I did do it clean but it made me realize that it's the part before the kill that excites me about hunting and that pulling the trigger kind of taints that. I also have friends who pass along plenty of game meat every season now, so pulling a trigger aiming at anything besides paper targets or for a last ditch defense of my own life just seems like a selfish waste to me.
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    I can understand why that would've put you off. My friend, who tried hunting, had a similar first time experience which put him off completely. Not only had he not killed the animal outright, but it was horrifically wounded; he said there was blood everywhere. His step dad used to get paid by local farmers to hunt down local wildlife that'd threaten herds\livestock.
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    You enjoy the chase\tracking part. :D Waiting in the wilds, stalking, observing, etc. I imagine you're not alone regarding that. I have no problem with a hunter killing, so long as he\she uses the carcass fully. Not soo sure where I stand when it comes to hunters who do it purely to satiate some sort of primal bloodlust, though.
    It's funny how even after you grow up and admit that a lot of the music you listened to as a teenager is trash, you still enjoy it sometimes
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    A lot of them should bring back bad memories, but every once in a while listening to some of them make me smile. Maybe it's like a mental **** you to the past or something like that, but occasionally I feel like listening to all the depressing trash I used to back then, and enjoy it. Usually only lasts an hour or so at a time though, then it's back to mostly classics from before I was born.
    Amysaurus
    Amysaurus
    There's a folder of music I listened to in my teens that I can never bring myself to delete. As soon as I decide I miss it, I try putting it back in my library and realize it was kind of garbage. As soon as I remove it, though, I wish it was back. I think it's more that I miss the memories associated with the songs, rather than the songs themselves. =)
    Lornsteyn
    Lornsteyn
    I started listen to metal when I was 13, i never listened to bad music. Of course there is trashmetal, but thats good, too.^^
    Went on a three mile hike with my dogs today, got all the way out and then it started to pour. Can already feel the cold coming on...
    I've been having a really productive few days, but I just watched the castlvania mini-series and now want to do a Belmont build in ds3.
    The awkward moment when you are trying to replace aerial flares but so many games have flare guns that all you get searching are game wikis.
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    Flares are really more for maritime emergencies and desperation, or for signaling people whom you suspect might not be savvy enough to recognize reflective signaling for what it is such as the people above. Still, over preparation is better than under, you never know how an emergency might handicap you.
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    and yeah I don't see how anyone with even a small shred of empathy could walk away from children who need help, doubly so when helping them gives you an excuse to throw fire into the air like some kind of wizard, who wouldn't jump at an opportunity to do that? Been wanting that excuse since I was a child myself, ha-ha.
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    You're a wizard, Vagus! It reminds me of the time I had fun throwing potassium into water; mini-fireballs FTW!
    Without money to buy them you have no rights, and can find yourself imprisoned, stigmatized jobless and homeless before a trial even occurs.
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    I believe he should've been punished for his role in things, but not thrown in jail for 25+ years - the murderer ended up in a psychiatric hospital and has been released now, which hardly seems fair. It seemed as if the court needed to throw the book at someone, and since they couldn't do it to the actual murderer, they did it to someone who barely did a thing.
    Jonforum
    Jonforum
    It is a problem and a capitalist practice.
    It affects all countries without exception.
    Whether you are in USA or Canada or in Africa!
    If you have money, you can do what you want.
    Archeia
    Archeia
    Man, you have my sympathy. I have the same exact issue with one of my relatives with an almost same exact thing. It was just a tween fight too and it escalated to something ridiculous because the opposing side just wanted more money.
    Is it wrong to falsify sickness at work to go camping if you're in the state of mind where you want to punch something and you work retail?
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    Nothing tangible is ideal though, because ideal is itself an ideal. My mental health isn't really that bad, however, I just need to take regular breaks from people to keep it healthy is all.
    The Mighty Palm
    The Mighty Palm
    It is wrong to lie. That said, if you never do anything wrong, then you'd be a flawless person. Nobody needs that kind of pressure.
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    Yes but it is also wrong to hit disgruntled customers in the face, right? So if my choices are between that and getting fired, telling the truth and getting fired, or lying and keeping my job then lying would be the lesser of the wrongs I think. Either way I'm backpacking today.
    It's funny how quickly you can watch someone go from finally getting their life together more or less to an unemployed deadbeat with no...
    Reactions: umbralshadows
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    ...real prospects all thanks to some harmless 'crime' they committed years ago as a teenager and a vindictive judge out to 'make an example' out of his teenage foolishness/brokeness and unable to pay the original fine at the time.
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    It's a shame to watch my bro go from a family man taking care of his gf's kids and about to propose to her to a guy who can't see how he can possibly take care of anyone without resorting to 'hard crime' or going back to Mcdonalds to work for the smallest of pitences because people offering 'real jobs' don't want a criminal, even in the farthest stretch of the term.
    Just noticed the ps store overhauled it's genres. Apparently all games now fall under the genres of: Shooter, Action/Adventure, Platformer &
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    unique. Been joking for years that the checklists of 'must have features' employed by gaming companies were diluting games into one pool of the broadest consumer tastes but that was always supposed to be a joke, now I just feel like a cynic.
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    The PS Store is really hard to navigate, now. They used to have a digital only category, but that's gone. It's now really difficult to find small digital only games. Also, why do some games fall under categories they clearly aren't a part of? Pretty sure I saw Samurai Warriors under strategy.
    taarna23
    taarna23
    @The Stranger You mean "beat up everything in sight" isn't a strategy?
    I try to be respectful and helpful most of the time but I still manage to offend people more often than I help anyone.
    mlogan
    mlogan
    *hugs* It could just be that the people you help aren't vocal about it, whereas people who are offended usually are.
    Poryg
    Poryg
    I know that feeling all too well. In my case it's not being vocal about it though, it's misreception of the thought behind it. And me sounding like a jackass more often than I like.
    Woke up with a broken toe with blood seeping out from under the nail; and with no recollection of how it happened.
    Rainbowwings
    Rainbowwings
    Them mattress springs can be quite the hazard if slept on in just the wrong way. I know, I hurt my right arm and my neck like this.
    djDarkX
    djDarkX
    Wasn't me, I swear. I swear I didn't sneak into your room and smash your toe with a hammer. I can assure you 10% that it wasn't me.
    For my birthday today I woke up vindicated as a prophet; will spend the rest of the day drunk probably. What a ****ty birthday.
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Ha-ha! I haven't celebrated my birthday since I was 13. Coming from a poor house meant I never got much even when I did celebrate it, but the constant strife and hiccups in my plans just put me off; basically, it never felt like my day, or a special day worthy of celebrating. It's just an arbitrary day for an arbitrary number.
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    I don't celebrate mine either really, but today has just been depressing whereas normally it's just another day. The cynic in me just likes to compound the two though.

Nice new profile pic by the way.
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Half the time I forget my birthday until someone else reminds me. I have a very unnatural dislike for anything about myself, though. I don't like being the centre of attention, nor do I like to be capture in photos; I have zro photos of myself, and always refuse to be in photos with others. Probably to do with my mental healh problems. xD

Thanks! It's Caleb from Blood and Blood 2; I really like both games.
    My 14 year old cousin just got busted for mowing my grass without a permit. What the hell is wrong with the people that write laws here?
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Ha-ha! So, they expect people to have commercial licenses for helping one another out, if that help has some sort of monetary reward attached to it? When I was a kid, doing things for neighbours, and getting a bit of money for it, was just normal. Worst of all, it's family helping family out in this situation.
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    Same here man, my childhood was fraught with sweating like a dog over a crummy walking mower, starting much younger than my cousin is even and I turned out just fine for it.

Such a weird world we live in where paying a young member of my own family to do the same (only he uses his parent's riding mower) is somehow criminal. It makes no sense no matter how I try to look at it.
    Daniel47
    Daniel47
    And this is how authoritarian governments set up shop. @Philosophus Vagus If self-reliance is a crime then I'm guilty on multiple fronts. I live in the US and if things like this keep happening it will become a Communist state where the government will make it a crime to even think on your own. Glad to hear you and your cousin are okay.
    Why does a dog who so vigorously loves swimming that he'll do it in frigid temperatures fight with tooth and claw against getting a bath?
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Ha-Ha! Maybe he knows the difference between playing in the water, and getting clean. xD Crazy animals.
    Diretooth
    Diretooth
    It's possible that he associates bathtime with negative things, or perhaps he dislikes the scent of the soap you use.
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    There is clearly a difference but I can't figure out what it is. I'm always really careful not to get soap in his eyes or snout, I'll douse his head with water and rub but I only use soap from the neck down. Also tried several kinds of soap over the years so I don't know what he finds so distasteful about bath time.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

"How dare you!" is probably the most overused reason to start conflict.
Another day of mostly mapping in Make a Game in RPG Maker MZ: Episode 7 starting now! We're making a mansion! Come watch live and join in on the chat!
Game=Forest, Feature=Tree. There's little worth in looking at a tree except in its relation to how it affects the feel of the forest.
Been a while, guys. Despite being in college now, I'm working on Season's Promise as often as I can.
Helping my sister make her game
I hope i can get some freckles for the generator soon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
undeadc0de