Poryg
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Call of duty 1&2 had an interesting cheat prevention method. Between levels the game unloads and reloads the engine dll. If you ever employ this method, make sure to include at least an md5 hash check. Otherwise I can just edit that dll and implant cheats into it.
    gstv87
    gstv87
    wouldn't it be better to just validate the hash right at the beginning and dispense with any further reloading?
    if the engine has been tampered with, simply don't load the game.
    if the system allows for that dll to be tampered with while being locked by the game, that's the system's fault.
    Poryg
    Poryg
    No, it wouldn't. This was a measure to combat debuggers. Debuggers can read the program's code as it's loaded in the memory and edit that code. So if you load the library once, you make it vulnerable to debuggers.
    Poryg
    Poryg
    You can't really do real-time integrity checks either. Because in order to access the app's executable code, you need ring 1 (aka admin) access... which a game can't expect to have.
    The only way would be to store the game's code on heap. But back then that would require to program the entire game in assembly.
    Made my first Advent 2022 task in rust. Took me only 8 hours to make -_-
    Poryg
    Poryg
    Programming in rust is a worse nightmare for me than programming in C++. Not having access to even such basic tools as string iterators is insane.
    fugahagen
    I'm noob but doesn't that just mean you need to install 100 libraries?
    Poryg
    Poryg
    Advent 2022? I don't think so. I've done the first task purely with stl at least.
    I am stupid. Ordered a tomato+bacon+mozzarella+onion pizza with extra bacon and onions.
    gstv87
    gstv87
    ...and that, with a side order of pizza, I presume?
    Poryg
    Poryg
    The issue is, it's absolutely unrecognizable if they add the extra ingredients, or not. It is essentially wasted money.
    ScorchedGround
    ScorchedGround
    @Poryg
    Obviously, I can't speak for the place you order pizza from, but whenever
    I order extras on my pizza, it's *very* noticeable.
    Today I fell victim to my smartphone. In past whenever my phone died due to low charge, it would always keep some tiny bits of charge. Enough to wake me up the next day. My current smartphone however runs until it's completely dry, causing me to oversleep -_-
    It's interesting, but my antidepressants have been able to tackle my ADD too. It's not away completely, but it appears considerably less often than it used to.
    I wonder why did they program an option to run Naruto shippuden ultimate ninja storm 4 at 60 fps when they did not bother to optimize controller to run at 60fps. The amount of inputs the game fails to register is absurd.
    Medical pro tip. Be careful where you sit if you sit there for long. And if you're slouching, make sure you're on sth very soft. Concentrating your weight on tailbone for a long time causes huge problems. I've managed to block my tailbone for several weeks, forcing me to limp uncomfortably, be unable to dash or run and halving my walking speed.
    Kanori24
    Kanori24
    This is probably why my walking speed seems to have taken a hit in the last few weeks...
    gstv87
    gstv87
    same :(
    :feelsbad:
    Poryg
    Poryg
    Well, the good thing is, it's possible to undo. All you need would be to pop the tailbone and sit in such a way as to not make the problem worse.
    What a dwarf fortress session. One miner decided it's a good idea to mine in such a way that my cavern collapses and leaves him unconscious. Another miner, happy and healthy, randomly decides life isn't worth living anymore and ignored digging orders while aquifer was slowly flooding him. And third miner randomly went berserk and got himself killed in a 1v6 against other dwarfs.
    Poryg
    Poryg
    Well, many AAA make AI somewhat intelligent. And then there is dwarf fortress.
    Nereid
    Nereid
    What do you think of Clash of Clans' AI?
    Poryg
    Poryg
    Never played clash of clans, so don't really know.
    I've learned how to dig a pit in dwarf fortress. Now I need to learn how to do it without casualties.
    Had a perfect economy, but no army. So the game sent an eight legged giant that breathes fire.

Sometimes I forget why I hate dwarf fortress.
    Enigman
    Enigman
    Yes, as soon as everything looks like it's going swimmingly you know something is going to get you.
    I really love Czech language.
    Who needs swearwords? You can turn pretty much any noun into a slur.
    You can use one noun to describe many things.
    But you can also describe one thing using many things.
    Our language is so fluid that even without using difficult words I can speak in such a way that foreigners have no idea what I'm talking about.
    Unless I'm angry. You'll know that very quickly.
    Dear Santa,
    I've been reaaaaaaaally naughty this year. Give me a lot of coal, I understand I deserve it.

P.S I'm freezing.
    gstv87
    gstv87
    meanwhile, Argentina...

improvised-air-conditioning-simpsons.jpg
    I'm split.
    Should I make my game event driven, or should I have a game loop?
    TobyYasha
    TobyYasha
    What are the benefits of each choice and how could one be a "better" choice over the other?
    Poryg
    Poryg
    Game loop is the standard way of doing it. It's neat and easy to read. Although nowadays it's dropping in popularity due to inefficiency. Event driven programming is convenient. And oftentimes efficient too. However, the code gets harder to visualize.
    How normal people print debug messages to see how sth works:
    console.log("Task1 done successfully.");
    console.log("Task2 done successfully.");

How I do it:
    console.log("Woof");
    console.log("Meow.");
    TIL how to make a seeded pseudorng in Javascript. Save scummers, be afraid of me!
    kirbwarrior
    kirbwarrior
    Ooh, I was thinking on ways to do this myself. Fire Emblem Conquest does this for level ups (so you can't reset for better ones) and it makes the game so much better.
    Enigman
    Enigman
    I remember an old game by Sierra Online called Codename Iceman that had a dice mini-game and if you tried to load a save during the mini-game where you had an advantage it would accuse you of cheating and force you to go to an earlier point (before the mini-game) in your saves. I don't think I ever finished the game as it soon became tedious when I realised that most of the content relied on the mini-games.
    Poryg
    Poryg
    @kirbwarrior If you want to keep it simple, I can recommend using MD5 hashing algorithm. Just be aware that you should take only 6.5 bytes out of the 16 bytes you get in a string, because Javascript handles numbers only up to 2^53-1 before it has precision issues.
    When I take a dose of my antidepressants, I get tired. When I forget or can't take my dose of antidepressants, I get tired and depressed.
    Avoid antidepressants if you can. Seriously.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Onward to making a Diablo clone in MZ?
I guess I should post something on my game advancements.
Hmm, tough crowd...I wish I had screenshots for my prototype idea...but alas, I do not.
How many tentacles does an octopus have?
TEN-tacles.

XD I just heard this joke the other day and love it.
Future Mike.png
was fun to draw my characters for something other than my game for once. made some new designs for them, one being based on a friend's version of my character for his comic. I'll fix this up at some point tho as I feel I wanna use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CecilSoavy