Last Activity:
Dec 17, 2018 at 7:50 PM
Birthday:
Jun 26, 1990 (Age: 28)

Share This Page

PsychicToaster

Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018, Male, 28, from The Kitchen

Veteran

Guess who is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack. Shards Online got old. Time to get back to work. Feb 12, 2017

PsychicToaster was last seen:
Dec 17, 2018 at 7:50 PM
    1. PsychicToaster
      PsychicToaster
      Guess who is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack. Shards Online got old. Time to get back to work.
      1. Niten Ichi Ryu likes this.
      2. Vance Raehart
        Vance Raehart
        Slim shady?
        Feb 12, 2017
    2. PsychicToaster
      PsychicToaster
      Ugh. Still can't buy Medieval:Dungeons and the Bosses packs. The store doesn't want to accept my card. So obnoxious. Guess I'll wait two months for them to hit Steam.
    3. PsychicToaster
      PsychicToaster
      Okay, Many-Spires is getting split into multiple posts as I work on Ashes of Angoroth. Here is why:

The issue I'm having, I feel, is the overwhelming amount of work involved in detailing a fantasy city in a single, lengthy post. It is difficult to organize when you've got so many different concepts and ideas flowing through your head. Instead, I'll be editing what little I've posted thus far into an introduction style post, like I did with the Fractures. As I come up with fleshed out ideas, I'll post more about the city over the course of the project, getting into the specifics of each area. This way, I can move onto the myriad of other fun things I've been coming up with at random, while still explaining and showcasing Many-Spires. Everything will be sorted and categorized for easy access so that nobody becomes lost. 
      1. 2 people like this.
      2. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        Break Many-Spires up into districts. That's what I did when I wrote about the Imperial City on my freewebs site years and years ago; site doesn't exist anymore. :(

I know Eberron broke its massive spire city of Sharn into various districts, too.
        Dec 16, 2016
        2 people like this.
      3. BloodletterQ
        BloodletterQ
        Yeah. Try not to tackle to much at once. It gets overwhelming and feels more like drudgery in the end.
        Dec 17, 2016
    4. PsychicToaster
      PsychicToaster
      Well, Shards Online's servers have crapped out as of late, introducing as a feature the worst lag I've ever experienced in a game. So it's back to Many-Spires, finally! 
    5. PsychicToaster
      PsychicToaster
      I am half-joking, but I am so tempted to use the Medieval resources set to make an Oregon Trail style survival game. Lol. I think it could totally work. 
      1. 1 person likes this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. Ms Littlefish
        Ms Littlefish
        I remember playing the game in the library one day and became genuinely upset because the character I named after my sister died of a snakebite. Spoiler, sister is still alive. I was very relieved. 
        Dec 8, 2016
        2 people like this.
      4. PsychicToaster
        PsychicToaster
        Lol! If I did take on this project, I'd definitely make it a bit more fair than Oregon Trail. That game was pure evil.
        Dec 8, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      5. Ms Littlefish
        Ms Littlefish
        Yeah, Oregon Trail really is some kind of impossible. I could never get the hang of hunting, or anything really. XD
        Dec 9, 2016
    6. PsychicToaster
      PsychicToaster
      Currently on a mission to improve my lexicon. I find it important that every few months I take the time to learn new words until they are naturally integrated into both my written and verbal communication ability.
      1. 1 person likes this.
      3. Ursa Koda
        Ursa Koda
        Pipe-weed (also known as Halflings' Leaf) is grown and enjoyed much by the hobbits of the Shire, to whom it was first introduced by Tobold Hornblower. Normally I wouldn't use the word 'Halfling' in a normal conversation, but this is far from a normal conversation :D Enjoy your linguistic expansion, I do the same, musically. I invented 2 new notes yesterday, I and J. So now I need a longer piano.
        Dec 8, 2016
      4. PsychicToaster
        PsychicToaster
        Hahaha longer piano. You've won the Internet.
        Dec 8, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      5. Ursa Koda
        Ursa Koda
        Golly, Mama will be so proud. :guffaw:
        Dec 9, 2016
    7. PsychicToaster
      PsychicToaster
      Been spending a bit of time away from my setting project to playtest Shards Online, a new MMO made by one of the programmers that worked on Ultima Online. It's pretty fantastic so far but it has definitely consumed some time I could have spent writing. All good though, I have tons of ideas, tons of notes, and I don't plan on dying anytime soon, so it will get done. Sometimes the best thing to do is take breaks from big projects and work on something else. I've been writing little random short stories in the setting of Angoroth for the past few days. I am excited to say that they work out quite nicely. 
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        Lol, I think the name might be a giveaway. The housing system sounds nice, sounds like its more part of the core experience. 
        Dec 6, 2016
      3. PsychicToaster
        PsychicToaster
        It totally is. Lording your wealth above the lowly peasants of the land is part of the experience. Lol. 

Open world, full loot PVP(Aside from what you have equipped) really makes it a great game for people who don't mind a bit of risk vs reward gameplay. There are safe zones for people who don't want to worry about getting murdered, and a crime system where you get flagged 20 minutes per kill as a criminal. You can be killed by anyone, even in safe zones and towns, without the guards interfering. I have a feeling when the game launches I'm going to end up permanently red, because I love PKing lol.
        Dec 6, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      4. PsychicToaster
        PsychicToaster
        And since you've got to be online for your flag timer to count down, you can't just log out for a bit and wait. Kill enough people and that timer might as well never end.
        Dec 6, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    8. PsychicToaster
      PsychicToaster
      More work done on Many-Spires. I'd like to have it completed by the end of the week, so I can move on to other things. 
      1. 2 people like this.
    9. PsychicToaster
      PsychicToaster
      Conceptualized another city and I'm far from done with Many-Spires.

Elaura's Crossing-spanning a great chasm is a bridge seemingly built for giants. Over a mile wide and twice as long, humankind has constructed an entire city atop this massive structure. Homes and businesses are impossibly stacked  vertically, connected by stone walkways and rope bridges. Clearly some enchantment holds the haphazardly placed masses of dwellings together, preventing the structures from collapsing. At the enormous bridge's center is the Dome of the Light, named for the brilliant column of white light that reaches skyward from a formation of glowing crystal affixed to the top of the Dome. 
      1. 3 people like this.
      3. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        It's nice to see someone else going out of their way to create cities with a personality. Far too many fantasy settings have boring locations. Most real settlements have a very long history, filled with all sorts of mysteries and things which give the place a soul.
        Nov 28, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      4. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        In the process of creating the "perfect game," each aspect of the product should be taken account and given an equal amount of attention. This would include the storytelling, writing, graphical aspects, music, world creation, gameplay elements etc. etc. Realizing this is kind of daunting. I don't think I'll ever get there, personally, but I'm trying to get as close as its possible for me.
        Nov 28, 2016
        2 people like this.
      5. PsychicToaster
        PsychicToaster
        @Labyrinthine

Ashes of Angoroth is just a setting project for me, I won't be making it into an RPGM game. There's too much involved graphically for it to really turn out the way I envision it. I'll likely end up just writing a few books in the setting. My RPG Maker game is an entirely different project. I still like feedback though, so I post about my setting on here lol. 
        Nov 29, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    10. PsychicToaster
      PsychicToaster
      Hard at work. Just been busy because of the holiday. But today is the perfect day to stay indoors and write. I will not and have never gone out to join the corpulent masses of savage Black Friday shoppers. Outside of my PC setup, I live a fairly minimalist lifestyle. Black Friday to me represents materialistic excess and mindless consumerism. Not my cup of tea.
      1. 2 people like this.
      3. BloodletterQ
        BloodletterQ
        Try being agoraphobic. And I live right off the highway and near a turnpike
        Nov 26, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      4. PsychicToaster
        PsychicToaster
        Oh goodness. Poor soul. Black Friday has been a tremendous success, having caused only nine deaths and 102 reported bodily injuries at the hands of the animalistic consumer puppets. /sarcasm
        Nov 26, 2016
        2 people like this.
      5. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        Consumerism at its finest. People valuing cheap T.Vs over safety, order, and life.
        Nov 26, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    11. PsychicToaster
      PsychicToaster
      Writing work has been stymied by friends coming over to LAN it up. Good thing I'm not doing this for a living. Lol. 
      1. 1 person likes this.
      3. PsychicToaster
        PsychicToaster
        I've got Notepad open on my other monitor just in case. Lol. But as the great Stephen King said, "A writer's notebook is the best way to immortalize bad ideas". 
        Nov 24, 2016
        2 people like this.
      4. BloodletterQ
        BloodletterQ
        I swear your community rep went up by 100 ever since you've started making status updates
        Nov 24, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      5. PsychicToaster
        PsychicToaster
        Haha. I'm not sure why that is. I don't want to tout myself as amusing or anything. I have little to contribute to the community outside of advice on writing and game design. I'm not an artist, I can't code in Javascript, and I have no publicly available projects for people to critique because most of the games I've made over the last 14 years or so were insignificant works made solely for my own amusement.
        Nov 24, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    12. PsychicToaster
      PsychicToaster
      Since I've put my MV game to bed for the time being due to Degica's slow releases of graphics packs, I'm working diligently on Ashes of Angoroth. Expect an update this evening. I apologize for any complain-y posts I made last night, they've since been deleted. I normally don't get distressed but I realized working on a game with a quarter of the resources I need to actually finish it is a waste of time. I can wait it out. 
      1. 1 person likes this.
      3. PsychicToaster
        PsychicToaster
        It was meant to be DM style and to overcome the animation budget.
        Nov 25, 2016
        2 people like this.
      4. BloodletterQ
        BloodletterQ
        I'd know this if only I knew D&Ders. Anyways, it's useful to me as a writer as well.
        Nov 25, 2016
      5. PsychicToaster
        PsychicToaster
        Hehe. D&D rocks. So full, but I must write tonight. Replying on mobile, so short sentences lol.
        Nov 25, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    13. PsychicToaster
      PsychicToaster
      Morrowind binge is over. Back to working on Ashes of Angoroth. Hopefully I'll have something to update Many-Spires by the wee hours of the tomorrow morning, say 2:00am or so. We shall see. Designing the something as intricate and massive as a city takes time.
      1. 2 people like this.
      2. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        Haven't played morrowind, didn't pick up elder scrolls until oblivion. Heard its beloved though. Definitely want your cities to be unique and different, especially between cities in different countries in-game.
        Nov 23, 2016
      3. PsychicToaster
        PsychicToaster
        Morrowind, at least to me, is the best in the series. It may be old, but it is truly timeless. A lot of people claim nostalgia is why Morrowind is so highly praised, but that isn't the case. There were those who hadn't played the game until after Skyrim came out, and they still gave Morrowind the accolades it deserves. Good games never die. 

Angoroth is unique in the sense that it has no countries. There is simply not enough land that can be safely lived upon to warrant the formation of larger national entities. City-states like Many-Spires do own dependent territories, but that's about it. War is uncommon, but it isn't foreign to the people of Angoroth. Fighting between opposing cities over natural resources, while difficult, is a major source of regional conflict. Most have chosen to broker a peace and trade with one another instead, but some factions have proven less cooperative than others. 
        Nov 23, 2016
        2 people like this.
    14. PsychicToaster
      PsychicToaster
      Won't be updating anything tonight, because I will be on a Morrowind binge. I've been writing things in Notepad to copy into Wordpress later, but as most of it is incomplete and more of a list of random ideas in no particular order, I'm will not be posting it publicly. I prefer a cleaned up and polished version be all that I release. For anyone wondering why Notepad, it's because it doesn't have any kind of formatting that would muck things up when I copy it over. I tried copying and pasting into Wordpress from OpenOffice Writer, and the text was blue for some odd reason, even though I never changed it. Using headings on a single line would change the text below it as well, which is undesirable. Notepad text is quick, clean, and readily edited. 
      1. 1 person likes this.
      2. PsychicToaster
        PsychicToaster
        Reposted this, accidentally deleted it looking for the edit button. There isn't one. 
        Nov 22, 2016
    15. PsychicToaster
      PsychicToaster
      Got nothing done last night. dayum cat spent all night jumping up on my desk and attempting to get behind my computer, which will most certainly result in things getting broken. I don't know how to keep him off of the desk. So frustrating
      1. 1 person likes this.
      3. BloodletterQ
        BloodletterQ
        Oh and you need to update your website URL. 
        Nov 22, 2016
      4. PsychicToaster
        PsychicToaster
        Which is a problem, since I am too. Haha. I do most of my writing between 8:00PM and 3:00AM. 
        Nov 22, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      5. PsychicToaster
        PsychicToaster
        Done. Lol. I tried to change it from my Android, I guess it didn't save.
        Nov 22, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    16. PsychicToaster
      PsychicToaster
      Right https://angoroth.wordpress.com/ is up, the name is finalized, and I appreciate the assistance from this wonderful community. 

I can now move forward instead of going back and changing things. Never a great way to make progress. 
      1. 4 people like this.
      3. PsychicToaster
        PsychicToaster
        Right. I managed to justify that since the name stems from human Old Tongue meaning "A Thousand Storms"  

I usually don't like nonsense names if they don't serve a purpose. I could have taken the easy way out and used a random name generator site but those names have no cohesion and zero consistency with one another. 
        Nov 21, 2016
      4. Niten Ichi Ryu
        Niten Ichi Ryu
        true saying mate. It's nice to use the "rule of cool" for naming sometime but it end up cliche fantasy like storm end, or orksbane (guilty of the last one...) read a bit on the aforementioned discussion, glad you dropped Angwel.

As it was a 3 am discussion you could have sang "you are my angwel, of the morning baby..." ;)
        Nov 21, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      5. PsychicToaster
        PsychicToaster
         Lmao nooooooooooo
        Nov 21, 2016
    17. PsychicToaster
      PsychicToaster
      I have renamed my setting "Angwel", loosely translated from Old Tongue as "The Thousand Storms". I am not changing it, because it took hours of putting together an admittedly weak lexicon of fictional words. I am not a philologist or an etymologist and I have very little experience trying to make a fictional language, even a rudimentary one. I am not one to use a random generator to name things, because nonsense names are dumb and feel like cheating in my book, especially when they lack consistency. In regard to human character names in the setting, they are American names I have mixed and matched the syllables of, while trying to keep familiar sounds for my clarity. Names like Rigel, Theolar, and Daleon. 

I appreciate the feedback I received from a few individuals. I know the old name was too close to an actual word. I have corrected it, and although it may be rough around the edges, I don't think I'll be changing it again lol. Thank Microsoft for Find and Replace, because changing my posts manually would have been hell. 

New blog URL:https://realmofangwel.wordpress.com/ note that the "Realm of" part has nothing to do with a novel/game title. This blog is meant to be material detailing the world itself. 

Whew. Glad that's over and done with. So very done for the day. Lol. Normally I don't struggle with naming places or people, but not using a total nonsense name for my world is something I wanted to avoid. Angwel is at least justified as translated from an older language. 
      1. 2 people like this.
      3. PsychicToaster
        PsychicToaster
        I see what I did there. Lmao. WAKE UP TOASTER. I have taken a lot of inspiration. That's what I meant to say.

I'm not writing today. Hahaha.
        Nov 21, 2016
      4. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        @BloodletterQ I can't wait for new resources to become available in the same style as the newer PVGames' stuff. Right now, there's not a lot to create any diverse or interesting settings; not outside of towns and woodlands, anyway. Though, I spoke with Jesse about the Alien Biomes pack, and he said it's due to be released as a free update for the sci-fi pack he made. Not sure when that will happen, but I'm looking forward to using those cool alien plants; they're more in tune with the strange world I've created.
        Nov 21, 2016
      5. PsychicToaster
        PsychicToaster
        Degica needs to hurry it up lol. 
        Nov 21, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    18. PsychicToaster
      PsychicToaster
      Site will be back up when I can figure out a new name for it. Probably not working on it until tonight, got stuff to do.
  • About

Birthday:
    Jun 26, 1990 (Age: 28)
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Worldbuilding, game design, creative writing, music, and coffee.

Signature

Everyone is king when there's no one left to pawn.