RCXDan
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• You know, I sometimes ponder if working on the story and details is more necessary than the game itself. Its... technically work, just not direct.

Like for me specifically I never stop evolving the story based on what avenues I can approach in gameplay and then I get anxious thinking "hey good thing I thought about that now instead of later". Repeat ad nauseam.
    KazukiT
    KazukiT
    That depends on whether or not you place a huge emphasis on the story. I personally like to put the story first because those are the types os games I like to expose myself to. As for building from the ground up I usually come up with the gameplay first then craft a story around said gameplay loop.
    RCXDan
    RCXDan
    @Black Pagan I'm not talking about what games you would play, I'm talking about how you'd tackle the process of making one.

I always make sure the gameplay loop is dynamic and interesting, cause you could have an amazing story but lose me with a game that never spices itself up.

I'm mainly talking about being too lazy to touch the actual editor but still wanting to work, kek.
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    It's definitely going to be more important than many of your mechanics if it's a story driven game. However, it doesn't matter how good your story is if you can't tell it effectively in your game. In my personal opinion, I'd try to link core mechanics and your narrative in some way.
    2020 has started off pretty stressful for me, but no need to fear. I have my mood fixer:

God what was my life before smartphones (I had a grandma's phone before wednesday)
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    It was a dark time when people talked to each other with voices. A time when trips to the restroom weren't a gaming experience... And an even scarier time when people looked where they were driving. You should be thankful you don't remember such a horrendous age! :LZSwink:

Incredibly useful trick I just picked up for map making - group them together via "folder" maps. In this example, they're the different countries in my game. This streamlines the process for me a lot, since I get mappers block often from scrolling down to see where [x] map is that I need to work on next.
    bgillisp
    bgillisp
    I do that too. I have a header map that is blank that is just there to organize what the zone is
    KrimsonKatt
    KrimsonKatt
    I've been doing that since Generic RPG Quest 3. Learned the tip from good ol' echo206 and have used it ever since. Makes going back to my older games even harder lol.
    Finnuval
    Finnuval
    Yeah, always do that. Saves a lot of time when you have a lot of maps xD
    I don't know why I'm saying this, but MV's default battle 1 theme is a jam. I actually really enjoy listening to it.
    • Haha
    Reactions: The Stranger
    TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    And no one seems to like vx battle 1 but me :(
    Mystic_Enigma
    Mystic_Enigma
    I have a liking to Battle 8, and not just because it reminds me of Yanfly...
    KrimsonKatt
    KrimsonKatt
    I love VX Ace battle theme 1! Too bad it's used in so many crappy games, sorta ruins the epicness of the song. Some other battle themes are great too like Battle2, Battle4, Battle5, and Battle8.
    Okay I dig it now. Dark mode would be nice though.
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Dark mode is available. Just scroll down, click on the paintbrush and change your theme to Dark. ^^
    Reactions: RCXDan
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    If that's too hard to find, you can go to your Profile -> Preferences and change it from there as well :)
    RCXDan
    RCXDan
    Thanks. It didn't take long <3
    @MushroomCake28 I do, but his randomized patterns eff me up. I ironically had less trouble fighting him with Terra than Ven or Aqua, though.
    Reactions: MushroomCake28
    MechScapeZH
    MechScapeZH
    But Terra's the easiest character- his high Strength makes battles a cinch, at least for me.

I might be biased though- I remember wishing I had a big brother like him when I played the game as a kid, haha.
    MushroomCake28
    MushroomCake28
    Lol personally I found that Aqua was the easiest, especially in the endgame where you had access to overpowered magic.
    MechScapeZH
    MechScapeZH
    Really? I think our playstyles are different- I hardly ever used magic. Dark Splicer, Freeze Raid, Sonic Blade- these are my commands.
    Random question, but what's the worst boss any of you have fought in a video game? Mine is the Mysterious Figure from KHBBS.
    Animebryan
    Animebryan
    Dullahan from Golden Sun. The guy is easily one of the cheapest prick super boss in any RPG.
    Reactions: RCXDan
    The Mighty Palm
    The Mighty Palm
    Garuda from Final Fantasy 3 DS. It's not hard, just luck based. The only viable strategy is all Dragoons using Jump, and if he uses his Lightning attack consecutively you lose anyway.
    Ami
    Ami
    barbatos from tales of destiny 2,you using any item,you know it.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Testing out applying a stroke effect to things at player level to increase visibility. Thoughts?

I wonder what cat meat tastes like.
Some call him... the wacky one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrPhantom