RCXGaming
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Awarded medals About

• egg-frank.gif

Happy Easter, fellas.
    I have discovered an arcane spell - the ability to bring back the player's items if they use them during an unwinnable boss fight or similar.
    Willibab
    Willibab
    Ahhhh! The ancient arcane spell of [Hey c'mon now, that ain't fair bruh! Give it back!].
    I was attacked by a rabid soda! :kaodes:

(now that's a fun enemy for a modern day Earthbound-like game.)
    Birthmonth time.

Also I know the ultimate secret of how to make an amazing RPG Maker game: Just press Alt-F4 while you're making the game! That's all it takes.

Warning: please save your projects before you do this
    Yo who's the wise guy who made it so if you walk up in RPG Maker it subtracts 1 from the Y value instead of add to it?

This gave me a tremendous headache for my distance tracking system since I forgot to factor the negatives and the numbers that cancel each other out (-3X + 3Y = 0 and vice versa). :kaoeh:
    Yes! I managed to make a system where if you're asleep/petrified/put into time stop on the overworld, you can mash buttons to break out of it more quickly.

... As well as a system where overworld enemies will not respawn unless you pass through a room or two. Just enough for the player to not be interrupted when exploring! :kaohi:
    The cascading effects of that "add text through variables thing" that Touchfuzzy made a tutorial for combined with my script set-up allows me to do a scary amount of things I thought were impossible before.
    Trihan
    Trihan
    Oh yeah, variables absolutely *unlock* once you realise you can store things besides numbers in them.
    residntevl
    residntevl
    You can also add arrays and objects to them. They're fully functional as JavaScript variables are.
    ZombieKidzRule
    ZombieKidzRule
    I have to go back and watch that. I have just started experimenting with using text in variables for random dialog options and it is pretty cool.
    How did I go this entire time not knowing Input.press was the exact function I needed for "punch the villain while he gives his cliche grand speech so he shuts up"? :kaoswt2:
    • Wow
    Reactions: Cythera
    RCXGaming
    RCXGaming
    @Cythera It's not from an RPG, funnily enough - the moment I'm talking about comes from an action game called Asura's Wrath:
    BK-tdm
    BK-tdm
    How dare you not let the villain explain his evil plan and flaunt all over the seal of the demon behind him!
    Cythera
    Cythera
    Oh.
    Now I feel silly lol!
    Still stand by what I said. Even if the protag thinks "let the villain talk! We'll learn their plan and can better stop them!" Just SOMETHING so I know why I'm not shooting them where they stand haha
    • Haha
    Reactions: BK-tdm
    Fascinating idea: The game level-caps you per chapter, but you still retain the EXP you gain from defeating enemies/doing quests. And once that chapter is over, you instantly get all of the stored EXP.

Oh and new game plus just removes the cap altogether.

I dunno, I figured it would be a decent way to keep an "intended" challenge throughout while still rewarding the player for grinding if they wish.
    bgillisp
    bgillisp
    To clarify it did a cap on how powerful skills could get, as it didn't have levels. It was 40 in Chapters 1-2, 55 in Chapter 3, 70 in Chapters 4 - 5, 80 in Chapters 6 - 7, 90 in Chapter 8, 100 in the last chapter (9)
    Reactions: Ami
    Eusong
    Eusong
    That's a neat idea! Although it sounds like if you do grind, future chapters would no longer be the intended challenge even if the initial one is. There would have to be some kind of additional checks/balancing in place.
    RCXGaming
    RCXGaming
    I actually made a thread about this @Eusong. There I go more in-depth about it.
    • Wow
    Reactions: Eusong
    Why is doing college algebra a more tantalizing alternative to doing game development... :kaoswt2:
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    I ask that same question all the time...just replace "college algebra" with "gardening", "carpentry", "crocheting", or "wasting time on the internet".

There is nothing less tantalizing than college algebra.
    ZombieKidzRule
    ZombieKidzRule
    Nope...Nope on rope...most math and me no longer friends...we barely on speaking terms...now posting on forum instead of developing...different matter.
    It's official - I can make NPCs react differently if you try to run past them vs. just walking past them. (Aka. running past will make them try to look at you more while you can sneak up behind them via walking)

Stealth system, here we come.
    I remember a bug exterminator horror story where the guy went into a house that was covered wall-to-wall with cockroaches and the people who lived inside were non-plussed about it because it was just a Thing they dealt with.

A visual metaphor for when I do bugfixing for my games. :kaoswt2:
    I severely underestimated how good an increased resolution size would be for my games. 640x480 gives me way more space to put everything! :kaomad2:
    CraneSoft
    CraneSoft
    I needed 800x600 to display more information in a tidy way and making UI far less cluttered, not to mention not making text-related stuff the size of an ant. One of the reasons why RGD is so groundbreaking.
    RCXGaming
    RCXGaming
    @CraneSoft I've seen that RGD example gif where they literally do The World's timestop effect from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Honestly if any RPG Maker game I played ever did that, I'd give it an instant 10/10. :kaoback:
    Nenen
    Nenen
    And somehow I didn't even know what you guys were talking about (RGD), till I searched for it.
    Awesome stuff. Thanks for mentioning it!
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Another day, another patch. Praise be to the game make!
Okay... I'm injured and stuck in bed with a bad knee. And I'm only 24! I shouldn't be limping this badly, but my leg refuses to fully straighten and it hurts if I try to push it.
At least I have my games to work on.
RianQuenlin wrote on Iron_Brew's profile.
To elaborate on "safety" since bgillisp locked the thread, some lunatics will take reports personally and decide to harass people who file reports or otherwise complain about them. Me, I don't care but others seeing that might nope right out of discussion. Being a former mod back in the mid-2000s for some gaming forums in by BYOND days I can tell you some people go crazy.
Excitement: I've spent the last week making a little update package for VE Fog & Overlay, and finally got it working in my test environment!

Dread: Sigma fullscreen and Zeus's map effects are screaming at me when I add them into the mix.
ScreenShot_8_7_2022_0_23_50.png
Unleash the hype beam...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Introvertebrate