Share This Page

Robin

Veteran, Male, from England

Veteran
Robin was last seen:
Jun 27, 2017
    1. Robin
      Robin
      How much has the community shifted to creating in MV from VX Ace? (I've been away for a little while)
      1. 1 person likes this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. AnimaScorpius
        AnimaScorpius
        VX Ace is this a good program, But I did do the jump to MV. I like the plugins they are easier then managing scripts, I also am somewhat competent in JS so I am glad I am able to use my abilities in that area.
        May 8, 2016
      4. Robin
        Robin
        Thanks for the answers. It's helpful to get a catch up. :)
        May 8, 2016
      5. Shaz
        Shaz
        I'm still finishing my game in Ace, because MV is still a bit buggy and it'd cost me a fortune to have all the graphics redone.  If those things weren't true, I'd port it over.
        May 8, 2016
    2. Robin
      Robin
      Got the Valiance framework for my IGMC game. Got to wait for that twist before I click New Project and start this thing.
    3. Robin
      Robin
      To IGMC or not IGMC... I wonder.
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Touchfuzzy
        Touchfuzzy
        Yes, IGMC
        Jul 4, 2015
      3. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        I'm still on the fence myself, so can relate.
        Jul 4, 2015
      4. mlogan
        mlogan
        I really wish I had time.
        Jul 4, 2015
    4. Hirei
      Hirei
      If you still need art or work on Valiance let me know :)
    5. Robin
      Robin
      Taking a more exciting, and more focused, episodic approach with Valiance.
    6. Robin
      Robin
      Thinking of LPing all 675 contest entries.
      2. Eschaton
        Eschaton
        I'm thinking of doing humorously scathing review videos of them.
        Jul 2, 2014
      3. EternalShadow
        EternalShadow
        Go ahead, 20-second reviews for each, fit 10 into one video? XD
        Jul 2, 2014
      4. Eschaton
        Eschaton
        Or I pick which ones I want to do videos for. I don't have patience to do all of them.
        Jul 2, 2014
    7. Robin
      Robin
      My game The Flower Collector has just had a sequel release, entitled The Lantern Collector.
    8. Robin
      Robin
      Still working on refining the plan for Valiance. Still a lot to cut from the game, it seems.
    9. Robin
      Robin
      Working on my combo system at the moment. Some classes set the stage for massive break attacks dealing extra damage and effects.
    10. Robin
      Robin
      My combo system uses combinations of skills and states that resule in unique skills. Considering this, what kind of thing would upgrade Double Blow to Triple Blow? Any thoughts?
      1. Lunarea
        Lunarea
        Double blow + haste state?

Or maybe double blow + counter state?
        Sep 20, 2013
      2. SoulPour777
        SoulPour777
        Double Blow and Triple Blow with Elements. You can try adding fire and ice or something like that; You can also add "Bonus Skill" activated for the combo.
        Sep 20, 2013
      3. Robin
        Robin
        Luna, yeah, that's really the best idea I've seen, haste.

SoulPour, Triple Blow *is* the bonus skill, I'm just trying to figure out how to get there from Double Blow.
        Sep 20, 2013
    11. Robin
      Robin
      Valiance's combo based battle system is coming along very well, and it's all going to be implemented really soon.
      1. Dark_Metamorphosis
        Dark_Metamorphosis
        Nice to hear! I'm finally done with two of my systems as well :)
        Aug 31, 2013
    12. Robin
      Robin
      Taking from real world cultures for fantasy countries is something I really like doing. However, my opening magical city/country, surrounded by green fields is lacking cultural inspiration.
      1. Robin
        Robin
        Then later I have an eastern continent, but with a country already taking inspiration from middle eastern countries, I have a kingdom (Alexandria) that is lacking any real inspiration.
        Aug 6, 2013
    13. Robin
      Robin
      Looking to use a similar damage formula to Pokemon, however I noticed that when attacking very weak enemies, damage is so high. I figure this isn't noticed in the games because damage values aren't shown, not sure whether or not if it would be a problem for me.
      1. Robin
        Robin
        The "strongest" character hitting his "strongest" attack would deal 111 to a tough opponent, 160 to an evenly matched opponent, and 4982 to the weakest enemy in the game.
        Jul 15, 2013
      2. Seacliff
        Seacliff
        your best bet would be to take a pokemon engine on an RPG maker and see how they did it, but I don't think they call a battle system to do the pokemon engine :p
        Jul 15, 2013
      3. Robin
        Robin
        No, I know the formula. It's just you don't see the numbers in the Pokemon games, so you might not realise how high they go for trivial encounters.
        Jul 15, 2013
    14. Robin
      Robin
      If you're familiar with Mix from FFX/X-2, does it sound okay to have a Mix ability where you mix single target items with the result (where appropriate) being simply the multi-target version of the elemental spell?
      1. Arin
        Arin
        Sure, that's what I do. In example, 2x Potion yields Mega-Potion, 2x Hi-Potion yields Ultra-Potion. 2x Ether yields Mega-Ether, and 2x Hi-Ether yields Ultra-Ether.
        Jun 23, 2013
      2. Robin
        Robin
        Yeah, that's simple and understandable.

If I do this, then it will streamline my elemental spells, really reducing the number of them.
        Jun 23, 2013
    15. Robin
      Robin
      Solved the problem from earlier. I'm using mal-, fel-, and hel- as prefixes for three tiers status inflicting elemental spells.
      1. Liak
        Liak
        Malfire, Felfire and Helfire, for example? I'm not so sure about Felice, though. :p
        Jun 15, 2013
      2. Robin
        Robin
        Exactly. It's Malfrost, Felfrost, and Helfrost.
        Jun 15, 2013
      3. Kaje
        Kaje
        So do the spells in your game just ramp up in overall power? Like does Helfrost just make Malfrost completely worthless once you learn it?
        Jun 22, 2013
    16. Robin
      Robin
      As much as I like to individually name spells, it's not possible in this situation, so I'm trying to think of a way to signify that an elemental spell also inflicts a status effect.
      1. Robin
        Robin
        Thinking of maybe using a prefix or suffix like 'mal'.
        Jun 14, 2013
      2. Liak
        Liak
        Why is it not possible to give it any name and state its effect in the description like normally?
        Jun 14, 2013
      3. Robin
        Robin
        Its effect would be in the description (if this applied, however it's a result of a mix skill) but there would still be too many names of skills needed.
        Jun 14, 2013
    17. Robin
      Robin
      Not sure whether to CAPITALISE or colour words for emphasis. I'll have to see how they both look.
      2. Robin
        Robin
        The tagging problem is interesting too, I don't want to add an extra minute to every text box, after all.
        Jun 3, 2013
      3. B.Ultimus
        B.Ultimus
        I suppose in the end it also matters if it's for dialogue options (shouting, etc), or if it's just to highlight important plot locations/items (Wild Rose, etc). You could also also put locations/items in brackets, with different colors? Tons of choices.
        Jun 3, 2013
      4. C-C-C-Cashmere
        C-C-C-Cashmere
        @light487 Adding pauses reduces the flow of the text in my opinion. Perhaps you can italicize them. I like the idea of italicizing keywords.
        Jun 3, 2013
    18. Robin
      Robin
      Application deadline in 12 hours (or so). All systems go.
    19. Robin
      Robin
      I think I'd like to be working with dungeon maps that are made up from 3-4 larger areas (when outside), rather than 9-10 smaller maps. I've just got to make sure I can keep the quality high and the maps well-detailed if I'm working with a larger size.
      1. Clareain_Christopher
        Clareain_Christopher
        I, too, like working with larger maps. But be very careful about lag. It's pretty easy to lose FPS in large maps that hold many parallel processed events.
        May 22, 2013
      2. Chaos Avian
        Chaos Avian
        Parallel Processes, large maps, lighting system, overlays, parallax, 1GB RAM. Oh this should be fun :p
        May 22, 2013
      3. Robin
        Robin
        I often hear the fear of lag being used as a reason against large maps, but at what size map / number of events are people getting lag at?
        May 22, 2013
    20. Robin
      Robin
      Valiance is coming along awfully slowly. This public shaming of me will hopefully help me take the project more seriously and get things done.
      2. Robin
        Robin
        I place my head in the metaphorical medieval stocks of the forum. Get your throwing arms and various fruits and vegetables ready.
        May 20, 2013
      3. endgametech
        endgametech
        I was slowing down on Crystal & Steam before the end of my indiegogo campaign. Now the guilt of having other people invested pushes me forward. So... maybe your public shaming is the more economical alternative? :)
        May 20, 2013
      4. Animus
        Animus
        Maybe we can be stock-mates, as I can foresee this in my future as well now that I don't have much time atm for RM related goodness.
        May 20, 2013
  • About

First Language:
    English
    I'm Robin, I'm working on Valiance, which is in the top million game ideas ever thought of, probably.

Now that you're here, I'm selling these fine leather jackets.

Signature

Check out the Valiance thread and comment!