Share This Page

Robin

Veteran, Male, from England

Veteran
Robin was last seen:
Jun 27, 2017
    1. Robin
      Robin
      Watching these RSW projects come in is like essay hand in days.
      1. Jarrad
        Jarrad
        Except less boring.
        May 6, 2013
      2. StrawberrySmiles
        StrawberrySmiles
        I only downloaded four of the games, but haven't played them much. One gave an error.
        May 6, 2013
      3. Robin
        Robin
        Jarrad, speak for your own essays!
        May 6, 2013
    2. Robin
      Robin
      Considering going from three to four party members in battle in Valiance. The idea is that people will be more likely to pick support roles, if they have four members rather than just three.
    3. Robin
      Robin
      Currently working on a new version of my classes' skillsets, should be much improved from the first draft.
      1. NPC
        NPC
        *coughhadoukencough*
        Apr 26, 2013
      2. Robin
        Robin
        A special attack from Street Fighter?
        Apr 26, 2013
    4. Robin
      Robin
      If two abilities are really similar or near identical, combine them. That's what I'm currently doing, as I work through all of the abilities in Valiance.
    5. Robin
      Robin
      I'm really enjoying working on Valiance; I can't wait to be able to share it with people. It's hopefully going to be a lot of fun. :)
      1. View previous comments...
      2. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        That's a great attitude to have! I look forward to seeing your project completed.
        Apr 4, 2013
      3. Kaelan
        Kaelan
        That's how I feel as well. Every now and then I'll finish something and think "dayum, I love this game! This is such a cool feature", and it's so hard to hold myself back from immediately sharing everything about it. In a way it's the most stressful, but also most enjoyable part of making games.
        Apr 4, 2013
      4. Hirei
        Hirei
        Can't wait to help you work on it. If I"m allowed lol.
        Apr 4, 2013
    6. Robin
      Robin
      After getting some input on rewards for the players, the best idea seems to be collectable items or artifacts to sell or use for some kind of sidequest. I'm sure I'll get there eventually, but it really is tough to work out all the best rewards to give the player.
      1. Celianna
        Celianna
        Rewards can be simple things like making the player move faster, giving them the ability to teleport to any map, regenerate HP/MP over time out of battle, or even improve in-character relationships and change the dialogue based on that.
        Mar 28, 2013
    7. Robin
      Robin
      Trying to think of interesting items to reward the player with. Any ideas I may not have thought of?
      2. Ravenith
        Ravenith
        rare pieces of equipment that somehow "bend the rules", like granting unusual skills or effects.
        Mar 25, 2013
      3. Robin
        Robin
        Thanks for the ideas. :)
        Mar 25, 2013
      4. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        Oh! If you've ever played The Witcher, it had a trophy item which you could equip for nice buffs. However, you normally had to kill something powerful first, you could always try and add something like that into your game. It's simple, and rewards the player for taking down something difficult.
        Mar 25, 2013
    8. Robin
      Robin
      Posted a nice update to the Valiance thread. The writing of the characters and plot is really starting to come together now.
    9. Robin
      Robin
      Thanks for the help earlier, it really helped me think about the class, and my latest draft of classes is pretty much all done.
      1. Psyker
        Psyker
        Good to hear you are making progress! Can't wait to see what comes from it.
        Mar 7, 2013
    10. Robin
      Robin
      Trying to name a class that uses non-elemental/gravity spells. I prefer one word class names, so I don't really like 'Time Mage', but equally 'Chronomancer' (throw in some time spells) just sounds too much.
      2. Ravenith
        Ravenith
        Voidmage!
        Mar 7, 2013
      3. Ruby
        Ruby
        I love Tempus!
        Mar 7, 2013
      4. Grunt's Ghost
        Grunt's Ghost
        I never did understand why Time Mages control Gravity? Time has nothing to do with gravity.
        Mar 7, 2013
    11. Robin
      Robin
      Going with about 12 weapons per character (they all use distinct weapons) hopefully that number is about right. (Yeah, weapon upgrading is gone).
    12. Robin
      Robin
      Going through a refining of Valiance's notes, hopefully I can cut out a lot of the weaker ideas.
      1. Kread-EX
        Kread-EX
        Yeah sometimes you realize a good idea on paper doesn't quite work in practice or don't mesh with the rest.
        Feb 18, 2013
    13. Robin
      Robin
      Is it worth changing the screen resolution of a project (before too much work is underway)?
      2. Chaos Avian
        Chaos Avian
        I just changed my resolution for my project I started in May 2012. If anything all you'll have to do is edit a few maps and all of your battlebacks, titles and transitions.
        Feb 10, 2013
      3. Chrome
        Chrome
        Search for TDS battle back stretch =)
        Feb 10, 2013
      4. Robin
        Robin
        Yeah, I just have to figure whether it's worth it then, I guess.
        Feb 10, 2013
    14. Robin
      Robin
      Officially announced the first feature of Valiance in the thread, the Exclusive Class System.
    15. Robin
      Robin
      In looking over my items, I rename a few to bring me away from one franchise, and it just brings me closer to another. I don't particularly want to spend much time on stuff like this, so I hope people don't mind a healing item names not being original.
      1. Kread-EX
        Kread-EX
        Generic names such as "Remedy" or "Elixir" aren't a problem at all.
        Jan 21, 2013
      2. Kaiser
        Kaiser
        Its okay if healing items are not all original in terms of names. No one is gonna get disenchanted by seeing a healing item used in other rpgs. its common place.
        Jan 21, 2013
      3. ShinGamix
        ShinGamix
        I actual prefer them non original it makes it easier to know what they are and are used for.
        Jan 21, 2013
    16. Robin
      Robin
      FFXII has common, uncommon, rare and very rare drops. How many categories is too many?
      2. Lunarea
        Lunarea
        Depends on what else you have in the game.

For instance, if you have a synthesis system, you'll want a category for ingredients. Or if you have some kind of hunting quest system, you'll want a category for "proof of kill".
        Jan 10, 2013
      3. Robin
        Robin
        Currently, I have items which are used/mixed. Then, a few components for synthesis (not many, it's only for weapon upgrades currently). Then, I could add the monster loot that you sell ... although that always felt useless and pointless to me.
        Jan 10, 2013
      4. Νύξ
        Νύξ
        Six.six is as good an answer as any.Six is the number.
        Jan 13, 2013
    17. Robin
      Robin
      Looking at the idea of having a monster possibly be a range of levels (and stats), like level 5-7, or just a single level, like level 6.
      2. Kaiser
        Kaiser
        Yeah. I see what you are going with. When I go back to early places for whatever reason I do get bored plowing through weak monsters, but games that have the enemies get stronger as you do and through the progression of the game makes me smile that monsters are at least getting stronger for what reasons they have other than killing the hero.
        Dec 31, 2012
      3. Kread-EX
        Kread-EX
        I know this status is a bit old, so you may already have done the work, but why no simply use a level limit per area? What I mean is, you divide your game in areas and enemies can level up freely until they reach the limit.
        Jan 3, 2013
      4. Robin
        Robin
        Ah, Kread. Well, I hadn't really thought of that, but with different level monsters, I just need to make 2 or 3 iterations of the monster, which I can then put in specific troops. Hardly any extra time. So it gives me an extra way to customise battles without even changing the monster sprite.
        Jan 5, 2013
    18. Robin
      Robin
      One of the regions and countries of my world is just not good at all. It's the Elven country, and I just need to completely rethink it all. If anyone has any ideas...
      2. Lunarea
        Lunarea
        I love when ideas come together nicely like that.

Glad I could help with the process! I love brainstorming. :D
        Dec 22, 2012
      3. Julien Brightside
        Julien Brightside
        Dec 22, 2012
      4. regigliak
        regigliak
        Your too fast, by the time I read the post it had been lunafied
        Dec 22, 2012
    19. Robin
      Robin
      Thinking about emphasising the journey in Valiance a lot more than currently planned. It should really give the player a good feel of the world.
      2. Sailerius
        Sailerius
        Word of advice. I was intending to do that originally with Act I of Vacant Sky. I would advise cutting out towns and areas that don't serve a major purpose, because 1) making them is a lot of work and 2) if they aren't important, you'll end up being less passionate about them and it'll show in the quality.
        Dec 20, 2012
      3. Robin
        Robin
        Yeah, I'm not totally against cutting things, but I do want to fight for them first. There are a number of areas that are really 50/50 on if they'll be included. Although my world isn't set in stone, there is still the issue of getting the characters from A to B, so sometimes it will come down to "which route can they take that is the most interesting".
        Dec 20, 2012
      4. Robin
        Robin
        Additionally with all of this, I'm still going to make an effort to ensure that as many places as possible serve a major purpose. But yeah, I'm prepared to cut towns and areas as needed... before I map them, hopefully.
        Dec 20, 2012
    20. Robin
      Robin
      In a system where the more beasts the Beastmaster kills, the stronger his attacks are. Should he have to have attacked that monster (rather than just other party members)? If so, should he have to get the final blow?
      2. B.Ultimus
        B.Ultimus
        But, also to make that strategically work (instead of guessing), you would need some type of HP bar that shows health (if you don't have that already).
        Dec 14, 2012
      3. Robin
        Robin
        Yeah, I'm just concerned that a) It may be harder to implement, and B) They would likely need less final blows than kills (in the original idea), and so each final blow might boost the skill too much.
        Dec 14, 2012
      4. Kaiser
        Kaiser
        I always hated the final blow deal in games. As long as said job attacks then that is fine. Having the said job deal the final blow you have to manipulate the luck of the game to where you have to perfectly or get over the amount of damage needed to kill.
        Dec 14, 2012
  • About

First Language:
    English
    I'm Robin, I'm working on Valiance, which is in the top million game ideas ever thought of, probably.

Now that you're here, I'm selling these fine leather jackets.

Signature

Check out the Valiance thread and comment!