Share This Page

Robin

Veteran, Male, from England

Veteran
Robin was last seen:
Jun 27, 2017
    1. Robin
      Robin
      How restrictive do people find RM's 50 character limit for choices?
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Robin
        Robin
        I'm planning on using it for dialogue options, like in adventure games. So the choices aren't single words, but sentences.
        Dec 7, 2012
      3. Liak
        Liak
        Yep, I thought so. :) But you can always summarize the speech act, give choices like "Answer friendly/unfriendly" or use "..." if you run out of space. :)
        Dec 7, 2012
      4. B.Ultimus
        B.Ultimus
        I've found it restrictive at times, especially when you are making games where there are huge strings of dialogue choices, likes you would see in Bioware games like Dragon Age/KOTOR.
        Dec 13, 2012
    2. Robin
      Robin
      Is there a good rule of thumb for how long it takes to travel between town A and town B? Perhaps there isn't, as I find it varies a lot in games.
      2. Leinkreig
        Leinkreig
        You mean like how you have to go through a forest/path/etc. to get from one village to another manually? I've noticed that there's a lot of variance with it, but I often go for about 10-20 minutes gameplay time for each one (including battle time; no-one wants to be walking round an area for 20 minutes in a game I think). All-in-all, depends on what area it is. (Dungeon/forest/path/etc.)
        Nov 11, 2012
      3. Lunarea
        Lunarea
        I don't think there's a set frame of time.

If the area between towns A and B is a dungeon with a boss (like a forest, for example), it should take as long as a typical dungeon does.

If the path between towns A and B is more about exploration and fighting monsters for levels/items/gold, it should take considerably less.
        Nov 11, 2012
      4. ShinGamix
        ShinGamix
        Some games have a point to point that is instant that saves a lot of the time wasted.
        Nov 21, 2012
    3. Robin
      Robin
      Still working on field ability ideas, and still trying to figure out what I need to do to make my weapon upgrade system worthy of inclusion. All ideas and comments are welcomed.
      1. Lunarea
        Lunarea
        How about combining the weapon upgrade with field abilities? :D
        Nov 6, 2012
      2. Lunarea
        Lunarea
        I should probably illustrate ...

Say a character's field skill is "Pocket Dimension Tent", which can be used once every 5 minutes and it gives the party access to a tent. There, they can rest (inn-style). A weapon upgrade could be something that reduces the wait time (can use skill every 3 minutes) or access to a secret vendor (maybe even different vendor type per weapon upgrade).
        Nov 6, 2012
      3. Robin
        Robin
        The main reason is because I have a few field ability ideas already that don't relate well to weapons. That's a really interesting concept though.
        Nov 6, 2012
    4. Robin
      Robin
      In addition to working on field abilities (still looking for ideas), I'm looking at my weapons system. Currently, all armor is bought/found, but weapons are upgradable. However, something about the weapon upgrade idea just isn't clicking.
    5. Robin
      Robin
      I'm putting some thought into having field abilities (skills you can use outside of battle), are there any that people can think of that they particularly like?
      1. Julien Brightside
        Julien Brightside
        Hole digging?

Mind reading?
        Oct 28, 2012
      2. bassfire
        bassfire
        Take a note out of Pokemon's book: Cut. Let there be shrubbery (not tiny little trees that someone could walk around lol) block paths to hidden chests.
        Oct 28, 2012
      3. Robin
        Robin
        Yeah, I feel that's too reminiscent of Pokemon really.
        Oct 28, 2012
    6. Robin
      Robin
      Valiance contains upgradable weapons, and then armor and accessories you can obtain. I'm wondering if people want to see helmets as well, of it weapon, armor, and two accessory slots is enough.
      1. Leinkreig
        Leinkreig
        I like seeing headgear as part of equipment, as it just gives some more option available.

Just my opinion, though.
        Oct 25, 2012
      2. Robin
        Robin
        Yeah, I've implemented Helmets. I think they will work well.
        Oct 26, 2012
    7. Robin
      Robin
      I've had the idea of monsters dropping tokens (Fire Token, Water Token, Mystical Token), instead of items, which then can be exchanged for different packages of items from merchants. Good idea, bad idea, thoughts?
      2. Archeia
        Archeia
        I will steal this *steals*
        Oct 22, 2012
      3. Travatar
        Travatar
        That sounds pretty cool. It actually gives me a good idea for a simplified crafting system too...
        Oct 22, 2012
      4. omen613
        omen613
        I have something like this in my game... for there is no money and everything from merchants has to be "Purchased" with spoils you find in the wilds...so yes this is a good idea if done correctly
        Oct 23, 2012
    8. Robin
      Robin
      I'm working on the second draft on Valiance's classes' skillsets, and things are really coming together. Many of the classes have their own cool mechanics that I'm really excited about.
    9. Robin
      Robin
      To prevent feature creep in Valiance, my new motto is "save it for the sequel".
      1. Lunarea
        Lunarea
        That's something I remind myself to do, as well. It's far too easy to get excited about a new concept/idea/feature and want to add it right away. But more doesn't always equal better. :)
        Oct 21, 2012
      2. Solistra
        Solistra
        Blasphemy! This is RPG Maker, for God's sake. :p
        Oct 21, 2012
    10. Robin
      Robin
      I feel the most difficult part of finishing Valiance will be obtaining/creating animated side view monsters/battlers.
    11. Robin
      Robin
      1. Hirei
        Hirei
        I PM YOU!
        Oct 15, 2012
    12. Robin
      Robin
      Created a Valiance thread in Early Project Feedback. It's light on the details, as I don't want to overwhelm any readers. The focus of the thread is really on the story, characters, and world, rather than the gameplay. I would appreciate anyone that checked it out!
    13. Robin
      Robin
      At some point I should probably create a recruitment thread, but if any artists out there are interested in what they've heard about Valiance, feel free to send me a message.
    14. Robin
      Robin
      I'm using a level cap of 40 in Valiance. I want to allow players to level up if something's a challenge, but I want there to be a limit on the advantage they can get from doing so. Considering this is in place, is it okay for stat growth to be linear?
      2. Reynard Frost
        Reynard Frost
        Instead of asking for permission, you should play through and see if it feels cheap or feels solid.
        Sep 27, 2012
      3. Robin
        Robin
        Yeah, as levelling covers the entire game, I won't be able to figure it out for some time. So I guess I just want to see if sounds okay for the time being.
        Sep 27, 2012
      4. Zeramae
        Zeramae
        There are a handful of games that end in the 40s, a lot of the dragon warrior/quests come to mind, but their leveling takes time. It all depends on how fast players level up. Even if they can level at a modest rate, 40 might be pushing it as everyone would hit max level before the game ended.
        Sep 27, 2012
    15. Robin
      Robin
      Upon level up, I want to show stat increases like this (http://i.imgur.com/o4pnd.png). However, each character can change between 3 classes out of battle, and these 3 classes have separate (but similar stats). I want to have this simple display (of the active class’ changes), so should I simply allow the player to press a key to see the changes of their other classes?
      2. Robin
        Robin
        It would be more simple to level up the active class only. However, I don't want the player to have to level up each class.
        Sep 26, 2012
      3. Leinkreig
        Leinkreig
        Ah, I get what you mean now. It's a pretty good idea!
        Sep 26, 2012
      4. Robin
        Robin
        I guess so long as the menu is clear, it'll still be simple.
        Sep 26, 2012
    16. Robin
      Robin
      Trying to work out all the specifics of a Mix/Combine Item skill. It's quite involved, but once it's done, it should mean I have a much more complete item list.
      1. Robin
        Robin
        Considering making it clear that you choose a "primary" and "secondary" item to be combined, to show the player that the second item essentially enhances the first's effect. Might make the whole thing simpler.
        Sep 12, 2012
    17. Robin
      Robin
      I've divided the development of Valiance into a series of separate aims (original tiles, original sprites, an OST, animated battle sprites, character art, lore, maps, the database), which are all further split down into smaller achievable goals.
      1. Evan G.
        Evan G.
        Just make sure you don't lose sight of the fact that they form one product. Everything should be consistent and all of the resources should complement each other to accomplish the project's goal. I look forward to your project's completion.
        Sep 8, 2012
    18. Robin
      Robin
      We've tracked 25 RPG Maker games (or games using RPG Maker graphics) on Greenlight now. 14 of them have since been removed (or temporarily hidden) by the game's developer.
      1. Lorenze
        Lorenze
        *weeps in a corner*
        Sep 1, 2012
      2. Evan G.
        Evan G.
        I'm shocked that there are even 11 of them left, given the recent turn of events. Out of concern, how many RPG Maker games are on there that don't use the RTP?
        Sep 1, 2012
      3. Robin
        Robin
        No-one has kept track of that.
        Sep 1, 2012
    19. Robin
      Robin
      It's official! There are at least 10 RPG Maker projects (or projects using RM graphics) on Steam Greenlight!
      1. Confederacy
        Confederacy
        That's nothing to be excited about.
        Aug 31, 2012
      2. Robin
        Robin
        Four have been removed so far.
        Aug 31, 2012
    20. Robin
      Robin
      Parody isn't an excuse for quality.
      1. Xenophil 2.0
        Xenophil 2.0
        Amen :I
        Aug 31, 2012
      2. Sailerius
        Sailerius
        Nor is retro.
        Aug 31, 2012
  • About

First Language:
    English
    I'm Robin, I'm working on Valiance, which is in the top million game ideas ever thought of, probably.

Now that you're here, I'm selling these fine leather jackets.

Signature

Check out the Valiance thread and comment!