Oct 22, 2018 at 8:07 AM

Awarded Medals 1

Birthday:
Jan 1, 1997 (Age: 21)

Share This Page

shadefoundry

Is Sinistar, Male, 21

Veteran

It's a *good* idea to write humorous dialogue exchanges first and then the plot around them, right? RIGHT!? o_O Oct 22, 2018 at 5:03 AM

shadefoundry was last seen:
Viewing member profile shadefoundry, Oct 22, 2018 at 8:07 AM
    1. shadefoundry
      shadefoundry
      It's a *good* idea to write humorous dialogue exchanges first and then the plot around them, right? RIGHT!? o_O
      1. SpaceBot and samkfj like this.
    2. shadefoundry
      shadefoundry
      I think I've hit that rut where I'm constantly refining the same part of my game without making any progress with anything else. Send help.
      1. View previous comments...
      2. samkfj
        samkfj
        Dialogue is a definite thing that will change, and constantly; so don't let that get ya--but hey, if you're savvy, am always up for helpin' any way I can. Hit me up if ya need a pair of eyes for help.
        Oct 21, 2018 at 10:16 PM
        shadefoundry likes this.
      3. shadefoundry
        shadefoundry
        Thank you! At this point though I'm not sure this thing is ready to be shown to anybody just yet. It's not polished enough for my liking :p
        Oct 21, 2018 at 10:18 PM
      4. samkfj
        samkfj
        Understandable :)

One thing I can help with--though am sure you've heard this before; make the dialogue seem natural. If you have an idea of these characters, imagine yourself in a room with them. How would they speak if you were present. Would they use proper language? Or maybe they're more like me and use a lot of slang. Ask them questions in your mind, and gauge how they would respond.
        Oct 21, 2018 at 10:23 PM
        FrozenNorseman and shadefoundry like this.
    3. shadefoundry
      shadefoundry
      For some reason I make the most progress on my project during exam week when I should be studying o_O.
      1. The Stranger likes this.
      2. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        Just don't start writing event commands on your exam papers. xD
        Oct 15, 2018
        GoodSelf likes this.
      3. GoodSelf
        GoodSelf
        Conditional Branch, if Players Head is facing Down, show balloon animation "zZz"
        Oct 15, 2018
        The Stranger likes this.
      4. shadefoundry
        shadefoundry
        I mean, at least I'm making progress? Yeah, I should be studying...
        Oct 16, 2018 at 6:09 AM
    4. shadefoundry
      shadefoundry
      So its far easier to scale RMVXA assets down to 16x16 than I thought it would be.
    5. shadefoundry
      shadefoundry
      Been home sick for 3 days now. I miss being in classes. :(
      2. shadefoundry
        shadefoundry
        Oh my goodness so much great advice! I'll keep it all in mind while I try to recover. I've already decided that if I haven't improved by Monday, then I'll be returning to my clinic to get reexamined. Either way, my fever is fading a bit, so I think my condition's improving a little.
        Sep 29, 2018
      3. Sharm
        Sharm
        That's great news! I hope you feel better soon.
        Sep 29, 2018
        shadefoundry likes this.
      4. shadefoundry
        shadefoundry
        Me too, it'd be nice to go out this weekend :p
        Sep 29, 2018
        Sharm likes this.
    6. shadefoundry
      shadefoundry
      *emerges from ps4* Spider-Man is fantastic so far! *Returns to PS4*
      1. shadefoundry
        shadefoundry
        Rip progress on my project this weekend.
        Sep 8, 2018
      2. Sharm
        Sharm
        Yeah, I saw some gameplay of it, it looks like a really fun game that did a good job of getting the character just right.
        Sep 8, 2018
      3. shadefoundry
        shadefoundry
        @Sharm It really is/does. As someone who grew up reading the comics it's really fun to pick out all the little references they hid away in the world.
        Sep 8, 2018
    7. shadefoundry
      shadefoundry
      I forgot how much I hate mapping mountainous areas. It takes so long to make them look relatively natural.
      1. Marsigne and Philosophus Vagus like this.
      2. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        A-greed. I spent 3 whole days mapping Northpass Mountain Range, a 135 x 90 mountain range map. By the end I was ready to move the entire game to a desert.
        Sep 3, 2018
        Shaz, Marsigne and shadefoundry like this.
    8. shadefoundry
      shadefoundry
      My copy of FFVI doesn't have the "call me a treasure hunter or I'll rip your lungs out!" line :(.
      1. Marsigne, S.Court and SpaceBot like this.
      2. S.Court
        S.Court
        Oh no! D:
        Sep 3, 2018
        Marsigne and shadefoundry like this.
      3. shadefoundry
        shadefoundry
        Yeah, I thought the retranslation patch I'm using still kept the classic dialog and sillier tone of the US release, and it *does*, just not that specific line :(
        Sep 3, 2018
        Marsigne likes this.
    9. shadefoundry
      shadefoundry
      Well, I know what I'm doing this year.
    10. shadefoundry
      shadefoundry
      My Writer: Fair warning, this script is really cheesy. Me: That doesn't sound like enough cheese.
      1. JGreene likes this.
    11. shadefoundry
      shadefoundry
      Welp, sound's borked on the PC release of Chrono Trigger. Guess I'm refunding it and booting up Snes9x on my PSP.
      2. shadefoundry
        shadefoundry
        Yeah, I have the DS version on my radar but I tend to bring my PSP around with me more often than I do my 3DS since my PSP is basically a small sized arcade machine and emulation on the 3DS just isn't as good yet.
        Aug 25, 2018
        Vox Novus likes this.
      3. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        Its funny to think that they've had to do all this work and fixes to make the game almost as good as something they already made. I don't think the game even has the additional stuff in the ds version either. Idk, either way I don't see myself getting chrono trigger on steam at this point despite all these patches.
        Aug 25, 2018
        shadefoundry likes this.
      4. shadefoundry
        shadefoundry
        I did buy it, tried to boot it up and the sound was completely distorted. I looked into it and found out that the driver I needed to install to fix it wasn't compatible with my hardware, so I refunded the game. Definitely not worth purchasing imo.
        Aug 25, 2018
        Vox Novus likes this.
    12. shadefoundry
      shadefoundry
      Why is it that so many script requests are for simple things that can be done easily with events?
      1. CleanWater likes this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. shadefoundry
        shadefoundry
        Yeah, for sure. I remember years ago I managed to build an entirely event-driven stealth system in RM2k3. I ended up scrapping it since it required so many parallel processes and on screen events to run properly that the engine performed noticeably slower.
        Aug 22, 2018
      4. TheoAllen
        TheoAllen
        I'm more irked when someone asked a thing then at the bottom of the line, they said "can u do it without script?". If either script or eventing can solve your problem, why against of using script if it means more "simpler" and neat solution.
        Aug 22, 2018
        shadefoundry likes this.
      5. shadefoundry
        shadefoundry
        It's worse when they say "this should be an easy script to make" when they're asking for a whole custom battle system or whatever.
        Aug 22, 2018
    13. shadefoundry
      shadefoundry
      Somehow my friend has managed to rope me into making a short visual novel with her. I have no idea how visual novels work. o_o
      2. TheoAllen
        TheoAllen
        Yeah and menu based battle / frontview battle is actually to fit with this kind of design.
        Aug 21, 2018
        shadefoundry likes this.
      3. shadefoundry
        shadefoundry
        So basically it's like an rpg with all the difficult to balance elements taken out?
        Aug 21, 2018
      4. taarna23
        taarna23
        Uh... pretty much.
        Aug 22, 2018
        shadefoundry likes this.
    14. shadefoundry
      shadefoundry
      I finally managed to get my overworld tiles working with animations and landmass tile variants. Thank god.
      1. Frogboy likes this.
    15. shadefoundry
      shadefoundry
      Today I looked at an old version of my game's outline, only to find that it was way better than what it morphed into. Time to revert! :D
      1. Finnuval likes this.
    16. shadefoundry
      shadefoundry
      I'm at the point now that I've got a text file full of humorous banter to use in my project, but no actual progress in said project. o_O
      1. Finnuval likes this.
      2. Finnuval
        Finnuval
        at least you had fun writing it (I hope lol) so now time to get to work! lol :D
        Aug 14, 2018
        shadefoundry likes this.
      3. shadefoundry
        shadefoundry
        Oh I'm having a blast writing them. I've even managed to fit them all into my outline, its just a matter of getting to those points now :p
        Aug 14, 2018
        Finnuval likes this.
    17. shadefoundry
      shadefoundry
      It's dawned on me that my opening is very close to that of Final Fantasy VI. Guess I have the chance to make jokes about that game now :p.
      1. Marsigne likes this.
    18. shadefoundry
      shadefoundry
      Surprisingly, the hardest part of the one map challenge isn't the restrictions. It's remembering where you put your event hadlers! o_O
      1. TheoAllen
        TheoAllen
        We can't use two maps that one is playable and one for dumping event for event cloning?
        Aug 12, 2018
        shadefoundry likes this.
      2. shadefoundry
        shadefoundry
        I don't think so, no. I've got one singular map with a processor, a few npcs and a few events that act as touch events, bosses, etc. It's surprisingly how much you can do with so little tbh.
        Aug 12, 2018
    19. shadefoundry
      shadefoundry
      6 hours on a train to Toronto with nothing to do but work on my game... Time to procrastinate!
      1. Azmor and Finnuval like this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. FleshToDust
        FleshToDust
        Imagine if Bethesda were working on the Elder Scrolls 6 since the release of Skyrim but have been procrastinating till now.
        Aug 12, 2018
        shadefoundry likes this.
      4. shadefoundry
        shadefoundry
        @FleshToDust I guarantee you there's at least one intern at Bethesda doing just that. :p
        Aug 12, 2018
        FleshToDust likes this.
      5. Azmor
        Azmor
        "So, Fred. Are you done with our main character models?"
        "... - Just give me one more day."
        Aug 12, 2018
        shadefoundry and FleshToDust like this.
    20. shadefoundry
      shadefoundry
      Sorry I've not been around over much guys, I'm out of town and the WiFi at the place I'm staying at is worse than dial up. 200b/s o_O
      1. Frogboy
        Frogboy
        I'll forgive you ... this time. ;)
        Aug 9, 2018
        shadefoundry likes this.
  • About

Birthday:
    Jan 1, 1997 (Age: 21)
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA