Sigony
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Released a spider. Looked deadly.
    I’ll just assume it was deadly. Bravery, people.

The hero compassionately saves the frightful beast of unknown persuasions. Did it feel gratitude or fear? Nevertheless, the hero sees their good deed in the darkest shadows of the night, wondering if each would be the one to repay them with an unknown demise.
    There’s a beehive in my wall
    • Wow
    Reactions: Wavelength
    Mystic_Enigma
    Mystic_Enigma
    Good grief, at least it's not Wasps. *Shudder*
    Sigony
    Sigony
    I was awoken this morning by the buzzing of hundreds of bees. They've quieted down a bit today though. I wonder if they've moved on.

this isn't the first time, and no beekeepers were willing to take the bees out, too difficult.

Last time I had to get an exterminator. Watched hundreds of bees screaming their little wings off in the dirt.

I think this time I might research how to remove them myself.
    Wavelength
    Wavelength
    How surreal it must be to wake up to that kind of sound!!
    Warm my heart with your game's story, please.
    JUST DO IT, YES YOU CAN
    Reactions: Quexp and KakonComp
    Quexp
    Quexp
    There may or may not be a bar fight and a couple of surprises in the morning. Lol
    zzmmorgan
    zzmmorgan
    So far my bar scene has some bored soldiers, some civilians not dealing well with current events, and a couple of quest givers.....
    Reactions: Quexp
    Quexp
    Quexp
    Well, you can't have a true RPG tavern without a quest giver or two. :)
    People like things that they have invested time into, or that are “theirs”.
    So the more customisations you allow, even if only from two or three options, the more you leverage this effect.
    Reactions: Quexp and KakonComp
    KazukiT
    KazukiT
    I agree adding some degree of customization goes a long way to engaging a player. My first game, “Path of the Martyrs “ had quite a few customizable options.
    Moralizing in one's game is frowned upon by Sigony.

Sigony smiles upon those that end their games upon a stupid pun. The stupider the better.
    What if you just hired a personal assistant to do your remote job for you for half the price, and then spent the free time on your game.

Big pp brain.
    Reactions: ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    I mean could also technically pay someone in a 3rd world country to make my game for cheaper than I could make just working normally. Honestly it would be far wiser than doing it myself. Though way less fun. :LZSwink:
    Reactions: Sigony
    Dororo
    Dororo
    It's what actually happening. At least 80% of what you get is done by someone else (or by technology done by someone else) givin you spare time to invest.
    Sigony
    Sigony
    But if I outsource my whole life, I’ll have more time to pursue hedonism!
    I used my spare time to do gardening instead of game dev this week.

fight me jk
    On the point of telling players to take breaks, think about watching a series as it comes out versus binge watching. Something happens subconsciously that builds up over the week and makes the experience somehow more fulfilling.
    standardplayer
    standardplayer
    That depends. I think taking a break is a good thing, I think as long as it's just a game telling me not to forget to take a break, it's fine. It's not like you're shutting the game off on me, I can keep playing. Some folks will always feel a certain way about being told what to do, but a suggestion is different. If they're mad at that, they're just mad
    Sigony
    Sigony
    No @standardplayer, you’ve got me all wrong. Playing my games isn’t leisure. It’s servitude. Plain and simple.
    Darude - Sandstorm
    Sigony
    Sigony
    There was a meme quite a few years ago where if anyone asked what a song was, the only correct answer was Darude - Sandstorm
    cthulhusquid
    cthulhusquid
    I got the meme, and thought you were wanting others to post meme songs. I posted one but I love it regardless.
    Sigony
    Sigony
    So... it turns out that I didn't get the meme all along.
    It was all a lie.
    I must now resume my “things that make me money” activities, and relegate game-mak to a day or two a week. Maybe a lil in the afternoon, but I usually work on “career” level stuff then too.
    If you manage to make a game that people play for hours, then reminding them to take a break gives that “This game cares about me” feeling and also lowers chance of burnout with your game.
    Jenova
    Jenova
    Is that caramel flavored? I want some
    Indinera
    Indinera
    As a player, I was pretty hardcore and didn't like taking breaks. I'm still alive. ;)
    So I wouldn't want to shepherd my players and assume they need a break.
    Sigony
    Sigony
    You’re right, Indinera, not everyone needs to stop playing. We should account for this use case. Human-game symbiosis option.
    A good way to mix your own music? What's the learning curve on that?
    Would it be better to pay a composer?
    Featherbrain
    Featherbrain
    Garageband is entry level, something like FL Studio is a step up from that. Learning curve, depends how much you know music. It's pretty easy to arrange notes in these programs, arranging them so it sounds good is the skill. Worst case scenario, you can string together "loops" without compositional knowledge and come away with something that's at least not RTP.
    kaukusaki
    kaukusaki
    There's also magix music maker or band in a box to consider.
    Sharm
    Sharm
    It can be, but it can also be part of the fun to learn a new skill. My plan is to learn composition then hire someone when I fail.
    "Signature characters" - the mascots of your game. Cute, quirky, lovable, recognizable.
    i.e.
    Kirby, Disgaea prinnies, creepers, Sonic, Mario, DQ slimes, pikachu (all starters), chocobos.

You see what I'm saying.
    Getchu one.
    A video game has a brand attached to it.
    No offence meant, but it is disadvantageous to use the default RM graphics due to the fact that they can correlate your game strongly to other RM games and whatever associations a user has with those unrelated games.
    zzmmorgan
    zzmmorgan
    From what I've seen the most vocal reviews on Steam about "default assets" are from people who have bought and refunded practically the entire Steam library. Until buying RPG Maker I had no clue what RTP was and wouldn't have recognized it in use in a game. I'm still undecided on how much RTP I'll have in the game I'm working on right now.
    Sigony
    Sigony
    My strategy is that I will work on core gameplay mechanics, story development, thematic gameplay, and then refine a brand experience. Then, I will pay money to have assets made, knowing what they all should achieve and where they fit, a “chapter” at a time.
    Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    @Sigony, I thought I am only weired one. It seen is not the case. There are many free tilsets from MV. The problem is the artists will see the disconnect of the tilsets. I think you are talking about the commercial game. Then, you have invested money to make money.
    My minimap "works" but you see it is so laggy that I need to optimize it heavily. Tryna make a game here, not a slideshow.
    • Haha
    Reactions: ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Just market it for Visual Novels. :LZSwink:
    Ksi
    Ksi
    Which engine? Sometimes adding a wait 0.1 command can help reduce lag a bit.
    Sigony
    Sigony
    I’m optimising the way the map is drawn, so it only updates when needed. I’ve got a lot of other very laggy things I want to add so this should be a drop in the bucket, not the whole bucket
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
Castle is my Biggest Fear :kaodes:. I just Managed make Part by Part (like the Entrance only),not the Entire Castle like in the RM Sample...
This video really speaks to me...

Stream will be live shortly with a session of the interactive text adenture! Feel free to drop by!
I worked a lot more today and I am thinking about Youtube videos to make to my channel, but I am still looking for some content :D

But I am happy to be back at work :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dgb