Sigony
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• If you manage to make a game that people play for hours, then reminding them to take a break gives that “This game cares about me” feeling and also lowers chance of burnout with your game.
    Jenova
    Jenova
    Is that caramel flavored? I want some
    Indinera
    Indinera
    As a player, I was pretty hardcore and didn't like taking breaks. I'm still alive. ;)
    So I wouldn't want to shepherd my players and assume they need a break.
    Sigony
    Sigony
    You’re right, Indinera, not everyone needs to stop playing. We should account for this use case. Human-game symbiosis option.
    A good way to mix your own music? What's the learning curve on that?
    Would it be better to pay a composer?
    Featherbrain
    Featherbrain
    Garageband is entry level, something like FL Studio is a step up from that. Learning curve, depends how much you know music. It's pretty easy to arrange notes in these programs, arranging them so it sounds good is the skill. Worst case scenario, you can string together "loops" without compositional knowledge and come away with something that's at least not RTP.
    kaukusaki
    kaukusaki
    There's also magix music maker or band in a box to consider.
    Reactions: Sigony
    Sharm
    Sharm
    It can be, but it can also be part of the fun to learn a new skill. My plan is to learn composition then hire someone when I fail.
    "Signature characters" - the mascots of your game. Cute, quirky, lovable, recognizable.
    i.e.
    Kirby, Disgaea prinnies, creepers, Sonic, Mario, DQ slimes, pikachu (all starters), chocobos.

You see what I'm saying.
    Getchu one.
    KakonComp
    KakonComp
    My main character is a slime, but the mascot is probably going to be the ogre who's half the size of the other ogres, so has a complex.
    • Haha
    Sigony
    Sigony
    I like that concept
    A video game has a brand attached to it.
    No offence meant, but it is disadvantageous to use the default RM graphics due to the fact that they can correlate your game strongly to other RM games and whatever associations a user has with those unrelated games.
    zzmmorgan
    zzmmorgan
    From what I've seen the most vocal reviews on Steam about "default assets" are from people who have bought and refunded practically the entire Steam library. Until buying RPG Maker I had no clue what RTP was and wouldn't have recognized it in use in a game. I'm still undecided on how much RTP I'll have in the game I'm working on right now.
    Sigony
    Sigony
    My strategy is that I will work on core gameplay mechanics, story development, thematic gameplay, and then refine a brand experience. Then, I will pay money to have assets made, knowing what they all should achieve and where they fit, a “chapter” at a time.
    Reactions: Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    @Sigony, I thought I am only weired one. It seen is not the case. There are many free tilsets from MV. The problem is the artists will see the disconnect of the tilsets. I think you are talking about the commercial game. Then, you have invested money to make money.
    My minimap "works" but you see it is so laggy that I need to optimize it heavily. Tryna make a game here, not a slideshow.
    • Haha
    Reactions: ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Just market it for Visual Novels. :LZSwink:
    Ksi
    Ksi
    Which engine? Sometimes adding a wait 0.1 command can help reduce lag a bit.
    Sigony
    Sigony
    I’m optimising the way the map is drawn, so it only updates when needed. I’ve got a lot of other very laggy things I want to add so this should be a drop in the bucket, not the whole bucket
    A game is a lot like pasta.
    Pasta is technically edible after a few minutes of boiling, if a bit chewy, not very nice.
    If you cook it with patience, perhaps with some oil, at a rolling boil in salted water, drain it and add a nice sauce with some roasted vegetables, and present it on a beautiful plate, with beautiful cutlery on a beautiful table in a beautiful restaurant with beautiful sounds and scents; VERY NICE.

What a drag.

Todo:
    Add fog of war
    Add enemy indicators
    Make window draggable
    Optimise map drawing algorithm (5 seconds to load the map you see, so it's a... poo-poo algorithm)

Any suggestions? :kaoblush:
    I watched Vinland Saga recently. I really like the cultural world-building point that the young Danes are always idolizing war. They don't know about the tragedy of it, they only think of it as glorious. And for many of them, even seasoned warriors, they still have to come to terms with the fact that their vision of glory is an illusion, through pain.
    This talk has really changed the direction of my thinking about where my game is going.

KakonComp
    KakonComp
    I remember seeing this a few months ago. Helped me lock in on making a hub town over many smaller towns as the focus, though there will still be other towns in some of the dungeons.
    Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    @Sigony, great job for not going to sleep. I am going sleepy.
    Sigony
    Sigony
    KakonComp, that's good. You still could do many towns in another game, I think he just means something "cozy" that's easy to get into and feel like you're making progress. Some form of relaxing activity.
    I found something that has broadened my horizons.
    I'm such a little baby writer that everything I learn about broadens my horizons.
    Yesterday I learnt about this thing called "rhyme" and I will use it to its fullest extent. A true revolutionary, I know.

Click on Transcript > Key Points
    NTS: The tint of the screen can make a tonal promise to the player, and amplify the emotions you want. Remember to use this.
    Milennin
    Milennin
    The lack of a saturation slider on the Screen Tint command really is killing me.
    Been trying to find, for lack of a better term, a system that allows me to easily consider flaws and what causes them in a character. I found a list of negative "affects and cognitions" which is inspirational in that way. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3351545/
    Sigony
    Sigony
    Do you mean that you reveal the backstory slowly until you can reveal the vulnerability of the character? I like that because it seems more controllable than seeing how characters would interact, and have that as the heartbreak.
    Finnuval
    Finnuval
    In some cases yes. The benefit of the way I do it is flexibility - for me anyway.
    Sigony
    Sigony
    This is the ole rift between "architect" and "discovery" writing.
    In writing my tile visualiser, I’ve written code that is useful for making a minimap.
    So I’m making a minimap too :kaoblush:
    I’ll try to release it soon!
    It will have fog of war :kaopride:
    (Working on all of the plugins of my game in iterations and as needed, so most of them won’t be at a releasable point for a long time.)
    Because anime songs are written to purposely complement the story of the anime, their lyrics are a good inspiration for emotional points, flaws, motivations, behaviours, etc.
    What are some of the most emotional points of your stories? How do you make your characters suffer?
    RCXDan
    RCXDan
    Having a ghost come and steal their breakfast. Is that good enough for you, Darkness?

Ok but in all seriousness, I make them face their problems head-on. Usually because processing how to deal with a bad situation in a smart way makes for good drama.
    Dororo
    Dororo
    It's a subtle art, anyway is not the character that should suffer, is the user. And this happen only if you gave enough time for the user to empathize with the character and hope for him the best - then something sad happen. Something that the character cared for is undone/destroyed/negated. Could be everything, people got an emotional strike for Wilson, the ball in "Castaway"... AN OBJECT!
    • Love
    Sigony
    Sigony
    I've been doing a lot of research on this, and I think that a character's own dysfunctional beliefs, that maybe they have a "good reason" for, will cause them to suffer eventually, and can drive the plot forward easily. I'll need to think of ways to endear the character to the player.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm hoping to get a call October 1. They should be fully open by then.

With this, all demo dungeon graphics are done.
Eventually I need to make animations...send help.
OcRam demo project is now available at https://ocram-codes.net !!!
mzBaseBody.png added!

Ami
--- Mushroom ---

F.Knight: We runs out the food!
Hero: Anything could eat in this place?
F.Archer: It's a bunch of Mushroom over there. I wonder it's safe to eat.
F.Knight: No worries,we have to fill our inside no matter what it is.
(Hero & F.Knight Eat The Mushroom,After 10 Seconds They Collapse With Foam)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REEEEEOOOOOOOOO