Sigony
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Because anime songs are written to purposely complement the story of the anime, their lyrics are a good inspiration for emotional points, flaws, motivations, behaviours, etc.
    What are some of the most emotional points of your stories? How do you make your characters suffer?
    RCXDan
    RCXDan
    Having a ghost come and steal their breakfast. Is that good enough for you, Darkness?

Ok but in all seriousness, I make them face their problems head-on. Usually because processing how to deal with a bad situation in a smart way makes for good drama.
    Dororo
    Dororo
    It's a subtle art, anyway is not the character that should suffer, is the user. And this happen only if you gave enough time for the user to empathize with the character and hope for him the best - then something sad happen. Something that the character cared for is undone/destroyed/negated. Could be everything, people got an emotional strike for Wilson, the ball in "Castaway"... AN OBJECT!
    • Love
    Reactions: Sigony
    Sigony
    Sigony
    I've been doing a lot of research on this, and I think that a character's own dysfunctional beliefs, that maybe they have a "good reason" for, will cause them to suffer eventually, and can drive the plot forward easily. I'll need to think of ways to endear the character to the player.
    Character: I am a lost boy who became a giant spider. I don't know why. I can't get help. People run away in fear, as my head is the size of a pumpkin. I'm disgusted with myself every time I eat; I can step on bunnies and eat them like Doritos.

Have fun :3
    Sigony
    Sigony
    @The Stranger how else is the giant spider supposed to eat?

@Dororo I am an uncultured swine who doesn’t at all understand that reference.
    Dororo
    Dororo
    @Sigony: it's "The Metamorphosis", one of the most famous novel of Kafka, where a man (Samsa) wake up changed into a giant cockroach for no apparent reason. Goth, sad, disturbing. He was so alone, maybe a giant spider boy could have make his life happier (not speaking of Matheson "Born of Man and Woman" - you should read it).
    Sigony
    Sigony
    @Dororo, goes to show that most ideas one comes up with have been done before.

The Tilemap class is gibberish.
    Anyway, currently the tile visualizer draws the sprites floating, like a window. I want them imposed over the map, so that when the camera moves, they stay where they're supposed to. So I need to understand the Tilemap class. ._.
    standardplayer
    standardplayer
    $gameMap.adjustX and $gameMap.adjustY will take an x and y (in tile reference, the way $gamePlayer.x and y or and event's x and y would read) and return the value in reference to where the camera is currently looking. Multiply that by 48, or whatever your $gameMap.tileWidth and .tileHeight props are and update them in the scene's update process
    standardplayer
    standardplayer
    So if your left most 'visible' tile is 4, and you do $gameMap.adjust(x), where x was any value less than 4, you'd wind up with a negative x, obv off screen. Other than that, placing the sprites in the shader tilemap alone will just layer it properly, it won't scroll it
    Sigony
    Sigony
    Thankyou so much, you probably saved me hours of looking.
    Been working on a tile visualizer, almost there

Time Fantasy resource pack is used in this image.
    Anyone know a simple function / plugin with the ability to add an event to the map after it has been loaded?
    Anyone know where I can find PIXI particle emitter particle images?
    Sigony
    Sigony
    I've been fiddling with it and it's making sense. I want to use these for spells and such. Thanks for the advice :kaoblush:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    I think the thing to really note is what happens when you drag the mouse around with the particle animation. The particles will try and catch up to it creating all manner of fun animations. So in RM if it's tied to an event or the player and it will automatically make a motion to follow them like the mouse cursor in the editor. The same is true if you use Plugin Commands to move it. :LZSexcite:
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    • Love
    How much time have you spent writing the plot of your game?
    Playing "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky" for 'research' purposes :kaoblush:
    Thinking about a game system in depth beforehand is not my favorite part. I like to actually make it happen. But, I don't want to just clone reference games, I'm looking to add a spin. Y'all relate.
    gabrieldiastche
    gabrieldiastche
    I think you can have a lot of inspirations in other games, like I remember Alex Kidd for example and you fight the boss with Rock-Paper-Scissor, it's a simple mechanic? It's is, but If you use in the right way, it can be make it fun you know?
    I always look for my references to see what I can improve :D
    SoftCloud
    SoftCloud
    I sometimes will take inspiration fro other games, but prefer letting them develop around the narrative. n..n; thinking about them beforehand is tiring.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    A lot of times it's really about taking a simple game concept that already exists and running with it. I mean when you think about it, my game has the player drawing paths behind the them. You know what basic game also has you drawing a line behind the player? Blockade, all those snake games were based on that. :LZSwink:
    I have so many ideas that I like but have to pass up.

Like the chosen one is a Don. A mob boss. On the day of his daughters wedding he is asked to save the world by Santa Claus, or whomever god is in your fantasy world.

Go.
    • Haha
    Reactions: The Stranger
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    "Santa Claus, or whomever is god" xD

Now you come and say "Don, keep Christmas alive." But you don't ask with respect. You don't offer friendship. You don't even think to call me "Godfather." You come into my house on the day my daughter is to be married and you ask me to deliver presents - for the sake of the world.
    • Haha
    I don’t believe that any game studio flies by the seat of their pants with the story of their game while they’re implementing said story into their game. They may make the game mechanics while the story is being refined. But, before implementing the story, they know it in detail, and how it should be experienced.
    Sigony
    Sigony
    @taarna23 oh, gotcha, you know I’m not convinced that mechanics need to be based on story (clearly since I’m doing them first lol). But it would help, like in “Life is Strange” they’re intermingled closely. But what can I say, I’m a coder and I like to code
    taarna23
    gstv87
    gstv87
    there's a difference between "story" and "screenplay"
    "story" is defined.... "screenplay" is flexible.
    you can act Romeo & Juliet on stage, or in a multi-million dollar movie, and it'll be the same story.
    UNLESS, you pitch it to some SJW writer, and then most definitely the story WON'T be the same.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just got FES pack for my MZ. The details of the tilesets and chars seem not very compatible with MZ rtp. Look like they are scaled up. Not saying it's bad, but just won't fit well.
I've been busy with other things lately but I'm getting back into working on stuff for my game next month. I think I'm going to fiddle with making NPC busts next, mixing and matching stuff from DLC I've purchased.
Just finished composing a boss battle theme!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roeselerfinnole