Last Activity:
Sep 19, 2018 at 11:28 PM
Birthday:
Sep 11, 1991 (Age: 27)

Share This Page

sleepy_sealion

Need to work harder!, Male, 27

Veteran

I feel like I've learned a lot from studying Gameboy Zelda/Pokemon Tiles. It's funny how much clever tricks you miss when your playing them. Sep 19, 2018 at 11:19 PM

sleepy_sealion was last seen:
Sep 19, 2018 at 11:28 PM
    1. sleepy_sealion
      sleepy_sealion
      I feel like I've learned a lot from studying Gameboy Zelda/Pokemon Tiles. It's funny how much clever tricks you miss when your playing them.
    2. sleepy_sealion
      sleepy_sealion
      1. atoms and OmnislashXX like this.
      2. Mystic_Enigma
        Mystic_Enigma
        Quite nice!
        Sep 16, 2018 at 7:17 AM
        atoms likes this.
      3. Seacliff
        Seacliff
        Link's Awakening is an Awesome game. I think you did a good job capturing that aesthetic with these titles.
        Sep 16, 2018 at 10:59 AM
        atoms likes this.
    3. sleepy_sealion
      sleepy_sealion
      Tetsuo!!
      1. TheoAllen
        TheoAllen
        such a malicious dog :o
        Sep 15, 2018 at 8:52 AM
        sleepy_sealion likes this.
    4. sleepy_sealion
      sleepy_sealion
      Tile development is going well - though it's apparent now how much better XP is better at tile setting then Ace.
      1. SOC
        SOC
        XP did layers so well.
        Sep 14, 2018 at 11:13 PM
    5. sleepy_sealion
      sleepy_sealion
      remember - methods are your friends, and easier to keep track of in update calls, instead of just dumping all your code/args in there NAKED.
      1. Poryg
        Poryg
        Yeah, just remember that static methods aren't inherited by the prototype system and you need to use classes if you want to inherit even static methods. Yesterday I found that out xD
        Sep 13, 2018
      2. Poryg
        Poryg
        Also, why would I program naked?
        Sep 13, 2018
    6. sleepy_sealion
      sleepy_sealion
      Wanted to try to make tiles 2x the normal size - but it might be too much too handle planning the increased size.
    7. sleepy_sealion
      sleepy_sealion
      I hope someday, someone makes a deep walking-simulator that's entirely on a tread mill.
      1. The Stranger likes this.
    8. sleepy_sealion
      sleepy_sealion
      So the best way to make tiles seems to be - do a drawing of the basic tile area free hand, and then recreate it to fit as tiles on a grid?
      1. Guiguimu likes this.
      2. Guiguimu
        Guiguimu
        I draw the basic shape free-hand, then I start adjusting and shading at the same time. I usually do it within the grid, if I want it to be one tile tall. It depends. Do whatever works for you, as long you practice, you'll find new ways to be faster and better, I believe.
        Sep 3, 2018
        sleepy_sealion and Marsigne like this.
      3. Sharm
        Sharm
        I'd say the best to rely heavily on iteration. Try something, test it out, and change what doesn't work. Starting out by trying to roughly fit something in a grid is also good.
        Sep 3, 2018
        sleepy_sealion and Marsigne like this.
    9. sleepy_sealion
      sleepy_sealion
      wish I could do tile drawing during my work break.
      1. Jchurch9 likes this.
      2. Poryg
        Poryg
        and why cannot you?
        Sep 2, 2018
      3. sleepy_sealion
        sleepy_sealion
        I lack a portable digital drawing - thingy. And I don't really trust bring my laptop to work. It would be nice if my lunch break could be used for something productive instead of just sitting there - though I can sketch ideas in my notepad at least.
        Sep 2, 2018
    10. sleepy_sealion
      sleepy_sealion
      Tiling practice seems to be going okay - managed to get a "bigger" tile size. Meaning I can add more detail to the overwold/sprites maybe???
    11. sleepy_sealion
      sleepy_sealion
      Found this in the "follower script" : "folloers" is typo, but retained because of the compatibility. - bless.
    12. sleepy_sealion
      sleepy_sealion
      So it looks like "idle animations" are a thing, but are they needed or something to bog things down.
      1. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        They're not needed, they're just a bit of eye candy.
        Aug 23, 2018
    13. sleepy_sealion
      sleepy_sealion
      Been editing my Ruby Scripts so they're independent of each other. Managed to trim a lot of needed code. Just need to think up good names...
    14. sleepy_sealion
      sleepy_sealion
      Reworked some battle system scripts - they're a lot easier for me to use/read now and a bit more "flexible". So I guess its an improvement.
      1. Vox Novus likes this.
    15. sleepy_sealion
      sleepy_sealion
      So, spent like the past few days, trying to make a script system for arranging windows. It kind of sucks. Huds are out of my grasp.
    16. sleepy_sealion
      sleepy_sealion
      1. Vox Novus likes this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. Finnuval
        Finnuval
        It for some reason to me feels a bit like a mobile phone game... Don't know why though
        Aug 10, 2018
      4. sleepy_sealion
        sleepy_sealion
        It does kind of remind me of the FF5 ios? Might be the cluttered screen. Though I am changing things - hoping to make things easier to move around you know?
        Aug 10, 2018
        Finnuval likes this.
      5. Finnuval
        Finnuval
        Yeah, I think it's the clutter and the relative small window for the enemies that gives me that feel. Not saying it's bad though, just that it gives me that feel :)
        Aug 10, 2018
    17. sleepy_sealion
      sleepy_sealion
      battle system is going along well, its just that there's no way its gonna be compatible with anything - so I guess its for personal use now?
      1. Frogboy and Vox Novus like this.
      3. sleepy_sealion
        sleepy_sealion
        That's cool. But I don't think I have enough time left in me - to abandon things that aren't going to transfer. And learn a new language. Hope you enjoy MV.
        Aug 10, 2018
        Vox Novus likes this.
      4. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        Understandable, its something you want to make a sort of fresh start with in some ways.
        Aug 10, 2018
      5. TheoAllen
        TheoAllen
        We just need to wait for RGD to be perfected ;)
        Aug 10, 2018
    18. sleepy_sealion
      sleepy_sealion
      making a replacement battle log system, every fight starts with the game telling the player he's dead - but he's not. Is he a zombie?
      1. Poryg
        Poryg
        No, he's just supposed to receive enough damage to get revived.
        Aug 9, 2018
      2. sleepy_sealion
        sleepy_sealion
        Ha. It turned out that since death is state 0 - it would just trigger the message, so I had to make a check to only run for states not named death. And moved the death message somewhere else.
        Aug 9, 2018
    19. sleepy_sealion
      sleepy_sealion
      trying to figure out how to draw rectangles and bars is going poorly.
      1. Vox Novus likes this.
      2. Vox Novus
        Vox Novus
        Practice makes perfect! (Or near perfect, don't want to become too obsessed with achieving one's own perfection, then you never really accomplish anything).
        Aug 8, 2018
      3. MushroomCake28
        MushroomCake28
        I have a good way: this.contents.fillRect(x, y, width, height, color). Just joking lol
        Aug 8, 2018
    20. sleepy_sealion
      sleepy_sealion
      That moment when you fight with a script for over an hour, and realize the error is that you spelled initialize wrong in an alias.
      1. TakeHomeTheCup, Poryg and ?????? like this.
      3. Tea's Jams
        Tea's Jams
        Spelling errors, the bane of a codes existence, haha
        Aug 7, 2018
        sleepy_sealion and ?????? like this.
      4. Poryg
        Poryg
        That's why I use console.log("ffuzgh") a lot in order to precisely pinpoint the problem's location. Saves me a lot of pain in case of typos and stuff.
        Aug 7, 2018
      5. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        Or you fight with an autorun for an hour, only to realize you initialized the wrong variable which is why it wasn't working right.
        Aug 7, 2018
  • About

Birthday:
    Sep 11, 1991 (Age: 27)
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Interests:
    Drawing, Animating, Dogs, Seals/Sealions