sleepy_sealion
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Awarded medals About

• I feel like I've been putting in a lot of work for a free, 20 minute, one map game. But I just want the game to live up to it's full potential.
    Going back and looking at the original battler sprites - and wondering why I felt the need to try and change things when they looked fine already, the only thing that needed fixing was the map tiles. It's apparent I lack discipline or self-control.
    hkASrux.png
    Artisticdog
    Artisticdog
    Oooh that’s really cool actually, like the layout of the options!
    I don't know if it's a mentality thing. But sometimes when I leave the project for a few days, and then come back - you suddenly know how to fix/balance things when you haven't been looking into them for a bit.
    Ahuramazda
    Ahuramazda
    I think it is because while working on it, esp if it keeps failing what you're expecting, begins to get on your nerves... and when agitated people tend to start making mistakes and it is a semi-endless loop. Give a small break and come back with a clear head and a lot of times I've found I see things that should have been obvious from the get-go on an issue.
    Reactions: Nenen
    gstv87
    gstv87
    it's the proverbial "take a step back" or "look at it from a different angle"
    I've been unable to do any actual work on my project because I can't operate the controls as efficiently.... but I can still piece it apart in my head.
    I mean, Stephen Hawking was paralyzed and he could bend astrophysics in his head, so, turning a 3D model upside down should be a piece of cake.
    I do really prefer ruby and the built-in editor to JS lately. But MZ has a much better set up than Ace with literally everything else.
    Arthran
    Arthran
    I actually much prefer being able to use an external editor. Life is much easier with code completion, intellisense, refactoring shortcuts, auto-formatting, the ability to have multiple source files pulled up side-by-side, or even in multiple monitors, the ability to be able to look through your database and even playtest the game while writing code, etc.
    Arthran
    Arthran
    Btw, if you aren't using VS Code to write your MZ plugins, then you probably should be.
    sleepy_sealion
    sleepy_sealion
    I've been using Notepad++ to write code stuff. Though I still kind of prefer ruby to JS.
    I think my Ace game would have been done already if I didn't keep going over to MZ to work on unrelated things.
    I think my plugin is ready. But now I have to figure out how to post the code and demo to github. Or maybe some easier site...
    Reactions: HexMozart88
    Arthran
    Arthran
    Can you not just zip it and upload the zip file?
    sleepy_sealion
    sleepy_sealion
    I tried zipping it, but it still gave me the file limit. Maybe I'm just zipping wrong.
    Arthran
    Arthran
    I think there is a 100mb file size limit? That shouldn't be a problem, for a simple demo. Make sure to remove any audio files, graphic files, effect files, database entries, etc that aren't necessary for the demo. It should wind up less than 15 MB zipped, if you strip out anything unnecessary.
    I've always wanted to release at least one plugin for people to use. But I worry my coding's not quite up to stuff yet.
    Johnny_Ray
    Johnny_Ray
    yep, i can agree with Ramza on this one, and to add something of my own:
    If you don't practice you won't get better at it, and while making a plugin you do learn a thing or two, so what's the harm in making one even if the quality may be lacking?
    Have fun.
    TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    eh, the JS code base is a mess anyway :p
    Tea++
    Tea++
    My plugins are absurdly messy. I would say don't worry about it! :LZSlol:
    Here's a gif of the reflection. Ace has some pretty cool sprite effects.
    cYtUgp8.gif
    I swap between Ace and MZ so I can stay fresh but - what do you mean you can use subfolders in the plugin's folder for easier organization!?
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    Not only in the plugin folder, MZ also allows additional subfolders in the audio and img resources folders. :)
    sleepy_sealion
    sleepy_sealion
    I did notice it for the battlers, but didn't think it would actually work for scripts. And learning that Audio also has it is a really nice surprise. :kaojoy:
    Trihan
    Trihan
    @sleepy_sealion One thing I haven't had a chance to test whether they've fixed since that patch came out is that initially I couldn't use plugin commands from plugins in subfolders. They just didn't do anything. I don't think that's the case any more but something to be aware of.
    Took some trial and error, but I managed to create "visuals" for underground dig path regions.
    I've been looking at older rpg sprites to try and find a right match that looks good but also wouldn't be murder for a single person. I think I'm getting closer.
    2NE9JGB.gif
    gstv87
    gstv87
    the secret with old RPG tiles, is the correct blending between sections.
    they were made in such a way that most of the detail was on the edges, with the rest being very basic.
    you could tell that "this" was cliff side and "that" was grass, because *here* be *boundary*
    you can't put boundaries on 2x2 autotiles... go to the bottom of A5 and look at the 3x3 sets of cliff sides and grounds.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Coin Locker title screen:
Still in progress...

Screenshot_134.png
the girls.png
So, these are all the girls of the party =3 (beside the protagonist if you play as a female.)
Now, I just have one more character sheet of the guys left and I'm done with their presentations =3
Can you recognize where this area is from? :kaocry:
Mq9QM3h.png
For those with up to 9 elements of magic; how do you structure your database. By element? Or by what is offensive vs supportive spells?
would anyone here be interested in rough concept art for the main protagonist of my game that might get changed later? :kaoswt2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onbetltd