I successfully performed some testing of Irina's visual novel bust plugin for MV. It works, and the motion control on the busts has given me some ideas for visual storytelling I wouldn't have thought of with only static placement...
I just successfully tested having an event check to see how many members are in the party then add a member to the party if an open spot is available. This is going to be useful for quests that add temporary party members.
Something I learned in theatre sound design that is applied to my game:
When picking out BGM, it's important to consider whether the player will be listening to it on a repeated loop, especially if it's for a location. Some tracks might not sound too annoying at first listen, but when used for looped replay can downgrade your project's quality in the mind of the listener.
I just picked up a current Humble Bundle for music with a broad commercial license. It's an extra good deal for me since I'm planning to start a YouTube channel this year aside from making a game, and I can use the music for both according to the legal text (found on support.humble.com).
For my world map, I may go with having the basic landmasses and ocean parallax with a photoshopped natural, non-blocky look, and dot it with a mix of RTP tiles, edited RTP tiles, and custom tiles for the mountains, trees, towns, etc.
A possible way to determine whether a RPG is worth getting on Steam is to see how many hours the oldest reviews have spent playing the game. If none of them were willing to finish the game, there may be something wrong with the game or the reviews might be fake; either way a potential red flag.
I set up around twenty basic consumables in my test project. My basic healing potion restores X% + Y hp (still adjusting it). I always hated when potions become obsolete in RPGs so I decided to go with a scaling amount.
I thought of a good way to use the large 256x256 icons from indie icon packs - present them as pictures of items in their descriptions rather than using them as list icons, or maybe BOTH. There's loss of quality when shrinking them down to list icon size (32x32) but with this I can make more aesthetic use of their art's greater detail at full size.
This week, I've picked out title screen BGM, character theme BGM, battle themes, victory ME, and BGM for starting location in my (recently decided) first game. I think I'll also test out some sprites this weekend.
Holy crap the original release of Final Fantasy II was a hot mess. Knowing the story behind it makes it even more of a hot mess. Not the FF IV that was sold as FF II in the west, but the actual FF II. The bugs and the unbalanced skill system made mechanics a big fail in the gameplay.
I did a test of transferring the player between maps with event proximity detection. Works like a charm using only a single event for each side of the map. This could save a lot of time for cutscenes and extending the world map.
I've made a rudimentary prototype map for the first game with the MV RTP overworld tiling. I'm probably going to photoshop the crap out of it for parallax, but the prototype has given me new ideas about how I want to place dungeons in the game.
The main character for the first game was originally going to become a member of the party in the third game but I'm probably changing him to an important NPC instead. That brings the third game's total ensemble roster down to nine with one optional secret character.