Last Activity:
Nov 20, 2018 at 8:48 AM

Followers 1

Birthday:
Dec 29, 1982 (Age: 35)

Share This Page

Storyteller-Hero

Villager, Male, 35

I'm pretty sad that I won't be able to do IGMC but it's not a total loss. Lots of good ideas came out of deadline pressure. Nov 16, 2018 at 7:02 PM

Storyteller-Hero was last seen:
Viewing forum RPG Maker MV Resources, Nov 20, 2018 at 8:48 AM
    1. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I'm pretty sad that I won't be able to do IGMC but it's not a total loss. Lots of good ideas came out of deadline pressure.
      1. Finnuval likes this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. Finnuval
        Finnuval
        Nov 17, 2018 at 1:11 PM
      4. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        Well, if i'm still alive by then, there's always next year, and I'll be able to start right away by at that time if they do the same thing again.
        Nov 17, 2018 at 1:18 PM
        Finnuval likes this.
      5. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        P.S. for anyone who has an old Mac, if your computer is already having problems, don't update the OS - my already damaged hard drive couldn't take it and got stuck in an endless restart loop with drive locked. The last OS update not so long ago went smoothly so I didn't expect the drive to tank. Even Time Machine wouldn't have helped, apparently.
        Nov 17, 2018 at 1:21 PM
    2. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I'm no longer able to finish in time for IGMC. My home computer broke. My laptop might be able to do it but too much time has been lost.
      1. TakeHomeTheCup
        TakeHomeTheCup
        But there's more than 15 days.
        Nov 12, 2018
      2. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        What I had in mind for the demo would have barely made it to the deadline because I'm still learning how to event. A few days lost plus a few more to re-organize my resources has made it unrealistic for me to finish in time.
        Nov 12, 2018
      3. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I could finish something simple, but it would be neither competitive nor representative of what I wanted as a first game made in the engine.
        Nov 12, 2018
        TakeHomeTheCup likes this.
    3. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      Fallen Olivia made some amazing plugins. I decided to "splurge" on two of her priced plugins, which are on sale now at itch.io. Good stuff.
      1. The Stranger and Artificer like this.
      2. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        Yeah, she's made some fantastic plug-ins. I really like her horror effects plug-in. :)
        Nov 9, 2018
        Storyteller-Hero likes this.
      3. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        The horror effects plug-in actually surprised me. I thought it was just a screen-wide thing until I saw how the plugin could affect individual actors - that makes it versatile enough for a lot of non-horror themes as well.
        Nov 10, 2018
        The Stranger likes this.
      4. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        I'm using it to create a video effect for when the player looks at monitors. It's much better than using either a static video effect image, or manipulating multiple images to create the illusion of movement.
        Nov 10, 2018
    4. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I watched a trailer for a RPGMaker game - I won't name names - it was so horribly edited that I was tempted to offer my services pro bono.
      1. Shaz likes this.
      3. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        samkfj, feel free to send me a link to where it's streaming, but I won't be able to give full feedback 'til after the IGMC deadline, when things have settled down. I'm juggling quite a bit to make sure I have time for stuff.
        Nov 8, 2018
      4. jkweath
        jkweath
        @bgillisp Steam's documentation even recommends your trailer be focused more on gameplay and action than the traditional longer, more drawn-out theatrical trailer. I kind of bank on that personally 'cuz putting together gameplay clips is simple enough but I just don't have the creativity or skills to make a better trailer, nor the resources to hire a professional to do it for me.
        Nov 8, 2018
      5. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        After I've completed enough to sample from each of the seven ensemble characters' storylines for my game (free demo will have the first chapter of each storyline), I'll make a sample trailer and use it in a basic guide (on the forum) with sample outlines and tips for improving a RMMV trailer. Almost anybody can make a good trailer if they have sample outlines to work with. That'll probably be in January or February.
        Nov 8, 2018
    5. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I've started organizing my RMMV BGM, BGS, SE, and ME files by copying over to iTune then placing into Playlists. For glory and efficiency!
    6. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      So many resources to organize. So many plugins to test. So many events to learn. I wish that I could use the Shadow Clone jutsu in real life
      1. Wavelength likes this.
      2. TheoAllen
        TheoAllen
        We need a petition to add more hours per day for sure.
        Nov 6, 2018
        Storyteller-Hero and Wavelength like this.
      3. RetroExcellent
        RetroExcellent
        You'd also need to shadow clone your computer lol.
        Nov 7, 2018
        Storyteller-Hero and Wavelength like this.
    7. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      Video editing, motion graphics, and some creative photoshopping --> animated sequences for my game. Hoping that it looks good for demo.
    8. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I just went through every listing page of the MV Resources board here. Found some things I'll definitely want or need for my IGMC entry.
      1. View previous comments...
      2. samkfj
        samkfj
        Hey, if you found anything on my thread you'd need, lemme know if you need something in a pinch.
        Nov 5, 2018
      3. samkfj
        samkfj
        Just so I can send you a message and say "Hey--you get that thing I sent ya?" Always wanted to say that to someone.
        Nov 5, 2018
      4. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        Thanks. For now I'm going to sleep and hope that I don't have nightmares about people getting their stuff pulled off threads because they forgot to check the terms of what they attempted to share. There was a lot of that in the second half towards the earliest threads. Yikes.
        Nov 5, 2018
    9. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I wish that I already knew how to do the common events that I'll need, 'cause a second idea came to mind for the IGMC. *watches tutorials*
      1. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I'll be lucky to even finish my first prototype in time, but if things go faster than expected, maybe I could submit a second entry. Dreamers can dream.
        Nov 4, 2018
    10. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I've been watching some Let's Play videos for RPG Maker games. There are a lot of useful things to pick up when games are played for review.
      1. GolfHacker, Kwerty and FrozenNorseman like this.
      2. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        For example, one game disabled certain commands during the opening battle tutorial, to guide the player as they learn to use the interface.
        Nov 2, 2018
        Kwerty and FrozenNorseman like this.
      3. Kwerty
        Kwerty
        Give the player the option of skipping tutorials , especially if nothing is particularly unique about your battle sys. This goes double for replays on your title :)
        Nov 2, 2018
        Storyteller-Hero and GolfHacker like this.
    11. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      These plugins in the dlc folder - in the Kadokawa and RPGMaker Web plugins folders. Where's the manual?! I've managed to google some of them
      1. Hollow 1977 likes this.
      2. Dreadshadow
        Dreadshadow
        You should create a thread to ask for help, don't use status updates. Firstly because you have a better chance to be seen, secondly because status update are not meant for that. :)
        Nov 1, 2018
      3. Hollow 1977
        Hollow 1977
        Try checking the MV forums. Should be a link for help. As Dreadshadow already stated you can start a new thread and ask for help.
        Nov 2, 2018
    12. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I finally completed (for now) my personal Flip Book of purchased resources. Next, a separate Flip Book for resources from blogs and forums.
      1. Hollow 1977 and Kaeki like this.
      3. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I'm using iBooks Author to drag/drop all the resource image files into a flip book, labeling them as I go and separating into chapters labeled with the source names. This way I can go through the images very quickly just by scrolling. There's a similar program for Windows if memory serves correctly.
        Nov 1, 2018
        Kaeki likes this.
      4. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        The act of making the flip book also helps me become familiarized with all of the images in my resource folders.
        Nov 1, 2018
        Kaeki likes this.
      5. Hollow 1977
        Hollow 1977
        LOL! I have so many I would need two books. Sometimes I don't even remember what's on my pc.
        Nov 2, 2018
    13. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      If it's just the first hour of gameplay, I might be able to make it for the IGMC 2018 deadline, but I won't know for a couple of weeks.
      1. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I'm still learning the engine itself. My one advantage might be that I have experience with fictional writing and art design for paid products so I mainly have to worry about the technical stuff.
        Oct 30, 2018
    14. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I found out that Yanfly made an Icon Generator app but it only works on Windows. Ah well.
      1. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I've found hundreds of edited icons among the English and Japanese communities, so it should be enough, at least for now.
        Oct 29, 2018
      2. MushroomCake28
        MushroomCake28
        if you have access to a windows pc I highly recommend using the Yanfly icon generator. It is absolutely fabulous.
        Oct 29, 2018
      3. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I use a Mac only but now I'm tempted to Bootcamp just for the Icon Generator. :p
        Oct 29, 2018
        MushroomCake28 likes this.
    15. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I just finished collecting and organizing resources + permissions info from the Japanese blogs/forums. Tsukumate took the longest time.
      1. Zealraid likes this.
      2. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I might return to Tsukumate to check out their plugins and window skins but for now my total resources have grown by a titanic amount thanks to a relatively sizable MV community there.
        Oct 28, 2018
      3. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        Bookmarking and cataloguing the MV resources on the English forums now. I had some doubts in the beginning about how close I could come to making the cool games that I really want to make but with all the materials available there are so many possibilities. Story ideas are swirling around in my head with every useful building block I find.
        Oct 28, 2018
    16. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      Thanks to a quirk of the story that I've just realized for my RPG, I can go super wild with the dungeon level designs. I feel super excited.
      1. Marsigne likes this.
    17. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I just downloaded most of Yanfly's plugins, partly to make sure my workflow isn't interrupted by internet hiccup and partly for perspective.
      1. Marsigne likes this.
      2. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I can decide what I want to use later, but at the very least I don't have to worry about waiting if either yanfly.moe or dropbox are down.
        Oct 25, 2018
        Marsigne likes this.
      3. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I also got a good look at what Yanfly made possible, and it's given me a greater landscape for my ideas to bloom.
        Oct 25, 2018
        Marsigne likes this.
      4. Shaz
        Shaz
        I suggest you only add them to your project when you decide you need them. Better than trying to remember what you've used and taking out the rest later. And we recently had someone post asking for help with something that was not working properly, exactly because he'd added all of Yanfly's plugins, figuring he'd remove what he didn't need later.
        Oct 25, 2018
    18. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      Seeing as how websites can disappear or go down unexpectedly, I've decided to not procrastinate in looking up free resources on the internet
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Philosophus Vagus
        Philosophus Vagus
        That's right, horde all of the things! Then all you'll have to worry about when websites disappear is not knowing who the hell to credit, but you'll still have a graveyard full of resources you cannot safely use publicly.

PSA: Always rename resources in a way that tells you the creator, and don't forget to horde terms of use as well as the resources themselves.
        Oct 24, 2018
        Shaz and Marsigne like this.
      3. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I've been placing the artist name into each individual file name, and keeping a screenshot of the terms with the name from the thread.

There's so much here that I'll probably have to make a separate flip book when I organize it more, just to be careful in separating purchased resources from free resources.
        Oct 24, 2018
        Marsigne likes this.
      4. TheoAllen
        TheoAllen
        I feel personally attacked bcz I took down my blog months ago. It has a lot of embarrassing stuff that I couldn't stand to see it.
        Oct 24, 2018
    19. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I'm still compiling the flip book. I just finished with the enemies from the FES pack. A decent number of them can be used for both views.
      1. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I was particularly happy to see that there are Dragons in the pack that match the classical Western Dragon style that I want for my game, and they're side view friendly, more or less.
        Oct 23, 2018
    20. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I have to remind myself to form a LLC to release games under, if I'm going to pursue commercial sales of my RPG Maker games.
      1. Kupotepo
        Kupotepo
        I believe in you. You will, you will.
        Oct 21, 2018
  • About

Birthday:
    Dec 29, 1982 (Age: 35)
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV