Storyteller-Hero
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• If a developer focuses too much on describing the game mechanics in the official trailer for their RPG, I'm going to wonder whether their writing is so bad that it doesn't deserve center stage for their game. This seems to be a pitfall for the marketing on a lot of games.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    To clarify, when I say "focuses too much on describing the game mechanics", I mean instead of just showing the game mechanics while teasing the story, they literally make talking about the game mechanics so centered in the trailer that it's hard to tell what the game is actually about other than its general theme and the fact that it's a RPG.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    It's not necessary to go on and on about the game mechanics when a gameplay side trailer can do that, but for the official trailer, IMO the story should be the main draw, the writing quality should be the top priority, and you don't need to spoil the story to make a great story-based trailer. For example, when watching a movie trailer, they don't focus on what model of camera they used or what types of angles.
    TheoAllen
    TheoAllen
    Again, depends on what you mean by RPG, because a sandbox RPG like Mount and Blade does not need a story.
    It should be safe to assume that some people will take a break from a game for various reasons and pick it up again later. Having a way to recap quickly might be a good way to retain interest.
    Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    Phantasy Star IV had a thing where in the menu you could choose to talk to your party. It always gave you both a bit of characterization which was neat, but also reminded you what you were currently doing. (the Dragon Quest series also later started using this method).
    Having different pieces of equipment unlock different skills while worn seems to be a good way to avoid skill bloat and to give gear customization an extra dimension of fun.
    Touchfuzzy
    Touchfuzzy
    I did something like this. I have 3 slots that are "item" slots, as I don't use consumables in the game. Instead the item slots give skills that use the currency in the game as cost (which is used way different than "gold" as my game doesn't have shops, it's used as a pacing mechanism instead).
    I think that giving a player the option to choose different levels of difficulty, whether it's a menu popup or set levels in different areas, is much better than just scaling everything automatically. Sometimes people want to feel like they've progressed by smashing up weaklings and sometimes people want a challenging foe. FF8 would have been way more popular without the auto-scaling.
    Reactions: RCXDan
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    I think I've said this before here. Just feeling a return to the moment since I'm going through my wishlist on Steam and was disappointed to find out a game I was interested in had auto-scaling.
    I've noticed that Early Access debuts are very risky for a game's reviews/ratings on Steam. It can be useful as a beta period, but devs might jump the gun too soon out of the alpha testing stage and get slammed for things that should have been fixed during alpha testing.
    I just learned that something called The CASE Act was snuck into a COVID relief bill for the U.S. and though I haven't read it yet, the description of it seems like it might affect videogame developers, reviewers, streamers, and critics.
    • Sad
    Reactions: Corlagon
    Cyberhawk
    Cyberhawk
    This is p huge. My friend stopped streaming altogether on twitch. Since one of the possible repercussions is jail time potentially. It's single handedly one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard of. Is it too much to ask to game/stream in peace?
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    There was a lot of crazy pork stuffed into the COVID relief bill, barely any covid relief at all when you get down to it. Should be vetoed but was voted in with enough of a majority to easily overturn it, but there are a lot of congresspeople coming out...
    Philosophus Vagus
    Philosophus Vagus
    ... after the fact and admitting they are incompetent at their jobs and didn't actually bother to read what they voted on so my hope is it won't get the same majority when voting to overturn the veto. US politics are humiliatingly terrible at this point. We're well on our way to having our own state-controlled internet isolated from the rest of the world like China or NK.
    I've been busy with other things lately but I'm getting back into working on stuff for my game next month. I think I'm going to fiddle with making NPC busts next, mixing and matching stuff from DLC I've purchased.
    I just saw in a manga an interesting mechanic - setting up a stationary teleport beacon that one can go to no matter where one is in a dungeon. I think it'll work with a similar setup to how I did my airship transition.

Ooh what if you could set up multiple beacons and choose from a list of the beacons you set up?

Hmm...
    cabfe
    cabfe
    That's not exactly new but usually games with that mechanic limit to one teleport beacon, reusable.
    KakonComp
    KakonComp
    Recall is a nice ability in most loot based action rpgs where you can instantly travel back to town, and then go back through the portal to end up where you were when you used the spell. For selling all the useless loot and refilling on healing.
    Kes
    Kes
    I've played a game (LP3) where you could do that with 3 beacons. It was someone's skill, she could set them and then later choose which to go back to. Or she could change them to a different place.
    I've been trying out Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark, and it has an interesting approach to consumable items - you get a limited inventory that is automatically refreshed to max limits (1 or 2 each, craft to expand + improve effect) at the start of each combat. It's a mechanic that goes against the common urge to hoard consumables.
    I've been battling roaches every single day for over three weeks. I'm tempted to make a roach-themed dungeon but that might hit a little too close to home. Blegh.
    Jenova
    Jenova
    Right now, its fleas for me. Gave our dogs a treatment and now they are attacking me and i cant sleep.

Oh but the dogs are clean. I combed them out today (about 3 hours ago) and found less then 15 on each of them. Normally i find about 50 - 60 in one area.

Kinda hard to deflea outside when parks are closed. Lmao.
    Dororo
    Dororo
    Parasite powder work fine to me, but you should find from where they come out - usually an hole in a wall. This year anyway was very fine, ants created an empire near me and ants destroy everything -then I just destroyed such ants. One day a big monster will destroy me to balance karma.
    gstv87
    gstv87
    I have a cat.
    she's a little rusty, but her claws are still sharp.
    there's always a cat keeping watch, whether it's mine, or the neighbor's.
    I played around with making an indicator for special spots to interact with for loot and whatnot. The Chrono Trigger style of something tiny but shiny on screen might be one of the less annoying ways to do it, for both player and developer.
    Dororo
    Dororo
    Once, playing LiveALive I had to "connect the cable" - I roamed the map for many hours until I found by mistake the "cable" wasn't there and you should click the 1 pixel power point in that same room. One. Black. Pixel.
    I have just restored the Pelican Town Community Center in Stardew Valley. Somehow I feel like I've completed a rite of passage as a gamer.
    • Wow
    Reactions: MrKiwi
    MrKiwi
    MrKiwi
    The one about fishing took me forever u.u
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    The Traveling Merchant Cart that appears on Fridays and Sundays can be useful for getting stuff early or out of season.

The wiki was super useful for figuring out where to find the fish.
    Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    @Storyteller-Hero, I still laughing about the devs to intend to make the game challenge and forget that people will create a Wikipedia about its game.
    Eiyuuden Chronicle's Kickstarter success is a sign that retro-RPGs are still very much in demand - it's just that people need to trust in the quality of the product before they'll consider buying it.
    I'm currently organizing together the preview images of tile sets so that I can mix and match more quickly in my head while deciding parts for my maps.
    What if all items that give buffs in combat also restore HP or MP instead of having to make a choice of buffing versus healing? Hmm...

So many cool items get unused in RPGs because they remain suboptimal choices in the action economy of battles. It feels like a waste.
    Reactions: KakonComp
    RCXDan
    RCXDan
    See this is interesting because I like items having multiple effects.

While I haven't thought of buffing items specifically, I like to mix properties of different items so they can be useful for more than one specific occasion. (I.e, antidotes curing four statuses and healing MP at the same time).
    Wavelength
    Wavelength
    I see this in games occasionally, and it tends to be a great dynamic that makes the use of consumables feel really good.

One other option is to make consumable healing items (or buff items) Instant Use - though this requires making them rare, expensive, or limited enough that the player doesn't just chomp a dozen of them any time things get hairy.
    Kes
    Kes
    I have used the item gives buff route. My favourite is the revive item that also gives a 1 turn PDF and MDF buff so that you get a chance to heal them up, instead of reviving and then seeing them die again instantly. Another favourite, specifically for my current CTB project where speed is more important than in a default system, is an item which heals 'Tired' so well that it gives you an AGI buff for one turn.
    I successfully tested out binding a test parallax for parallax mapping (some simple colors on a photoshopped png image plus copy-pasted tiles) for the first time. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my feet and can move forward with much more confidence.
    I think I'll make my fourth game my second release after my first game, which my originally planned second and third games share a setting with. This is because of how much fun it's going to be making the originally fourth game's maps.
    Kupotepo
    Kupotepo
    @Black Pagan, I think so. The teamwork makes thing go faster.
    Shaz
    Shaz
    My brain just exploded.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    I'm more or less primarily focusing on one game at a time - I just know what I'm going to make and deciding the order. Currently three games planned for a shared setting, one game in a modern setting, and a fifth to be set in space.
    Since my first game takes place on an island large enough only for a few towns, I'm reconsidering the world map originally planned. Playing Ara Fell gave me some perspective on smaller scale environments. I'm considering a cross between Ara Fell and Battle Chasers for the outdoors.
    Reactions: lianderson
    lianderson
    lianderson
    Your choice sounds most wise and most intelligent. Continue on your mortal, may your game become a game worth gaming.
    Geuttykreum's tiles and VexedEnigma's tiles might actually work well together in building a modern style city for my fourth planned game, which I'm tempted to work on at the same time as my first game, set in a medieval fantasy style world.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

After hearing Wataten's opening several times and knowing what this anime is about, I don't think I like moe anymore.
So I am working on a big DLC package for my game.... and it will add a new intro and extend the ending of the base game, while of course adding additional content to the game... Yeah, that should work! lol
I'm stuck, I'm making some of Mr. N's Dialogue but I can't finish his full Dialogue...heres what I got now [this is the part I'm stuck on] "You treat me like a
bug, I'M SICK OF IT, you had me make these...abominations...well, now..." and at the "Well, now...' part I'm stuck at, anyone got Ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WDRS