Storyteller-Hero
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Efficient marketing seems to be about gaming the system to overcome the veil of market saturation, to shift reliance towards strategy over luck. Since some methods can cost money and/or significant time expenditure, they can feel like a big gamble just because of the cost.
    I hate the mosquito in my room who likes to buzz my head when I'm trying to sleep or get work done. I may add a mosquito extermination quest to my game out of spite.
    Quexp
    Quexp
    I have one in my current project! LOL
    After a storm, an elderly woman asks the player to dump out standing water to get rid of them. You're more than welcome to use this idea if you want. Exterminating them sounds way cooler though. I'd love to see what you come up with!

Mosquitos are definitely annoying.

EDIT:
    I did some rough map sketching today for the first town in my game and my planned world map. Fifteen towns on rough draft. I think this might be the one I develop from after going through several drafts.
    The plugin dev behind Ritter Title Movie plugin (on itch.io for MZ) added a random playlist feature to the plugin that I requested. Being able to play multiple different movies while idling at the title screen opens up some really fun possibilities for the planned dressings in my game project. I've also decided not to do two at the same time, the scifi game will have to wait for the fantasy game to complete first.
    Ugh too much work piled up and NYCC is this coming week so I have to make up for lost time. I don't think I'll be able to finish an entry for the boss battle jam after all, at least not the way I want to do it. Good luck to everyone in the contest though.
    I think I'm going to put in an entry for the boss battle jam since I already prepared a lot of ingredients while testing out stuff for my game and it wouldn't take too long to move some stuff over to the sample template.
    One of the worst design choices I've seen in an online game is to significantly nerf in-game rewards (to drive profits from in-game microtransactions) after players had already gotten used to a certain level of reward over a long time. It's always better to start low and give more as needed, or offer something new, rather than to blatantly take away from the players.
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    You mean like Guild Wars 2 and how nigh all rewards in game are trash when compared to the stuff you can simply buy? To make matters worse, there's no traditional progression at the end game, and you can buy gold using real money, so you can just buy your exotics and costumes.
    HexMozart88
    HexMozart88
    I hate pay to win games. "Sorry, you need 9 gold to progress". You mean the 9 gold that I can only get using real money?
    cthulhusquid
    cthulhusquid
    Battlefield Play4Free did this, anyone who had the old, really good guns remembers the infamous December Update where they turned all of them into crappier versions.
    A surprising number of plugins have appeared for MZ since last year. I'm currently making a "shopping list" so that I'll know what I need to test when I switch over to MZ later this year. Much of it is stuff updated from MV plugins, but there are also a good number of new things. It'll be fun to test it all out.
    I've been viewing trailers and product banners on Steam as part of studying marketing for videogames, specifically JRPGs. There's a huge gap between the top and bottom in terms of quality and even a mixed review game can have a much better look than a game with great reviews. I can see why skilled publishers become attractive (for hire) to many aspiring game devs.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    @ Misery. Crimson Colosseum is an example - Mixed reviews for the actual game itself, but the publisher (not to be confused with developer) Kagura Games puts out trailers of similar build that better in presentation than just putting together gameplay and text without much extra editing. Definitely not top grade, but at least slightly better than average (for RPG Maker games) based on what I've seen.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    @ Tai_MT Certainly for RPG Maker games, the bar is pretty low for the average. I've seen a lot of mistakes made by RPG Maker devs, such as having no trailers, having ugly banners, having no presence on social media, having no built communities, having boring screenshots, having bad spelling/grammar on their store pages, publishing with incomplete games, and waiting until they publish before they even start marketing.
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    Oh, I'm talking about AAA games as well. Many of them have no idea how to do marketing except to 12 year olds who are easy to impress. :D
    My Overworld might be a mix of inspiration from 2D Final Fantasy games, Breath of Fire, Battlechasers: Nightwar, Super Mario World, and Pillars of Eternity. If I can make it more in-depth than just walking from point A to point B, that might do a lot for the gameplay experience. Hmm...
    Apparently some artists have aphantasia, preventing them from producing images in mind. When ordering a commission, it might be prudent to include some visual examples for reference to what one desires in the finished product in case the artist has aphantasia.
    TheGentlemanLoser
    TheGentlemanLoser
    @gstv87 I thought it was but if people with this disorder can still draw...that's pretty weird! Not sure how that works!
    gstv87
    gstv87
    @TheGentlemanLoser I mean, if you're drawing as if copying a model, you're just *interpreting*, not *abstracting*.
    you can also do poetry... metric and rhyme are measurable features, and don't require abstraction.
    granted, poetry that sounds like that of Cdr. Data, isn't very artistic.
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    @gstv87 I would argue that abstracting can be done outside one's mind. Artists can currently use multi-layer, multi-function art programs (now sold at affordable rates) to form and freely reshape/edit imagery on screen instead of the interior software in their heads.
    The release of Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster series will be good for commercial indie RPGs imo, in that it renews interest and nostalgia for classic 2D gameplay. Indie devs releasing their games within the next couple of years could have a golden opportunity to ride the nostalgia train, but their games and marketing still have to be good to avoid getting kicked off the train in transit.
    It seems to be never too early to research and prepare a list of things to do for when marketing one's commercial indie game begins. I've figured out some things to do that should be done months before I even start beta testing my game. If I live long enough to finish my game, the last half-year up to release day (after beta testing ends) is going to be intense.
    I really liked the world map interaction when riding a chocobo in FF9, and the random events of world travel in other games. The world map can be so much more than just a way to add time between locations. I think that I'm going to make non-entry interactive spots on the world map in my game, turning the map into a side-game of exploration and treasure-hunting.
    Quexp
    Quexp
    Mine is basically just getting from Point A to B, without enemy encounters. I do have some off-the-wall places for the player to discover though. I never considered having extra interaction in the overworld so I'm curious what you come up with! :)
    Until I studied acting and playwriting in college, I felt that I was a good writer, but seeing where the ceiling truly exists in a larger world made me rethink a lot of my mental processes and approaches to storytelling. Writing for an RPG is very similar to writing for a play or movie, so IMO taking some related classes or even just watching educational videos could do a lot of good for solo devs of indie RPGs.
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    You know what's even more amazing and scary? Even the most famous aren't the ceiling. Even the most well-written thing has flaws and isn't the ceiling. The most important lesson you can ever learn is, "there's always someone better, and you can learn a lot from them, especially if you can swallow your ego."
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    The Theatre program at my alma mater was (probably still is) pretty great in that there was a mix of classic and contemporary, from world-famous works to new works by people I'd never even heard of. Learning different world perspectives is also important imo.
    Tai_MT
    Tai_MT
    I've always really liked the way it was put in "The Last Airbender" best. "It is important to draw wisdom from many places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." That's why it's important to realize that there's always someone better you can learn from. The world is a wide and varied place. "The world is indeed a stage, and we are merely players."
    I will probably upgrade to a new Mac during the next few years, which makes my decision to switch to MZ soon all the more prudent.
    It's disturbing to see some people readily support the Bob Chapek approach at Disney when a similar dynamic occurred at Activision Blizzard, leading to the decline of World of Warcraft. Giving power to Distribution/Merchandising can lead to a focus on squeezing money out of consumers instead of improving product quality.
    Reactions: WingedHares
    gstv87
    gstv87
    @Animebryan in the age of mass media, Reputation directly affects Service through Quality *AND* Profit.
    if you're selling to people, and people have a bad opinion of you, said people doesn't provide profit..... and service is no longer relevant.
    >concepts<
    Storyteller-Hero
    Storyteller-Hero
    Final Fantasy XIV was able to find a good balance between profit and quality of service because Square Enix gave much of the decision-making power on changes to the game to the developers rather than the executives in the money-focused departments.
    gstv87
    gstv87
    @Animebryan
    if you were selling one product every long while to a vast variety of people, opinion wouldn't matter.... it would help if it was positive, but not enough people daily review your product to the extent that bad reputation would affect you in a negative way.
    games, on the other hand....
    I'm thinking of playing FF14. I checked a Square Enix website player search to see if the name I'm considering for character/account is taken. I was surprised to see that it's available. I might start sooner than later to get the name.
    I've decided to keep the main story in my fantasy game linear, but in new game plus mode, open up hidden alternate endings that have to be discovered by the player, much like what was done in Chrono Trigger. That really ramped up the replay value for me when I played Chrono Trigger.
    kirbwarrior
    kirbwarrior
    I love the idea. Although, to be fair, CT had three endings you could get before NG+. Two that were actually the end of the game, then the super secret ultra ending. Actually, you might have technically had access to all the endings, but those are the only three where it would be conceivable for you to get without insane grinding.
    KazukiT
    KazukiT
    I think that method helps you stay focused until you are done making the main game. Post-game and alternate endings are like dessert you eat it after the main course. (main game)
    Learning about how trademark works for game titles has given me new understanding about another reason why AAA developers/publishers sometimes reveal new games as "Project XXX" as a working title instead of the actual title. The cutthroat world of trademarks and IP trolls gets rougher every year as the pool of available titles for (legally safe) use shrinks due to the limitations of language.
    bishiba
    bishiba
    That's why my game's name will be Ahru of Kokuraualasiataiano. Hehe (Jk)
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

What the writer wrote: "The curtain is blue."
The readers: "There must be a hidden meaning behind this, perhaps to convey the character emotions ...".
What the writer has in mind: "The curtain is frickin' blue".
Time to share something!
hmZFwQe.png

I made these a while ago for my game. I took reference from various huts in Africa.
Have a great night! :D
I really need to buy a new mouse. Mine's keeps double-clicking and makes me waste A LOT of time eventing
How come there's no spooktober game jam? I thought horror maker games were some of the most popular genre out there...
"I didn't know X song was about that!" Uh... why? Do you not listen to the lyrics? I mean, I guess that makes sense. We live in a world where nobody listens, but everyone wants to be heard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghalano