Dec 10, 2019 at 11:57 AM

Followers 1

Birthday:
Dec 29, 1982 (Age: 36)

Share This Page

Storyteller-Hero

Veteran, Male, 36

Veteran

I tested recoloring Vibrato's battlers for the game that I'm making. https://imgur.com/S56erq3.png Dec 9, 2019 at 3:11 PM

Storyteller-Hero was last seen:
Viewing forum list, Dec 10, 2019 at 11:57 AM
    1. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I'm strongly considering making lightly animated cutscenes for my game project. I'll have to test it out after buying a graphics tablet.
      1. MushroomCake28 likes this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. Kupotepo
        Kupotepo
        I hope you find things you want on Black Friday. Are you going to shop online or go to the store?
        Nov 18, 2019
      4. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I'm planning to line up at my local BestBuy. I really like the physical experience of being in the store on Black Friday. There's a kind of palpable mood among the frantically stampeding shoppers that shopping online just can't duplicate.
        Nov 18, 2019
        Kupotepo likes this.
      5. Kupotepo
        Kupotepo
        I hope you post it when that happens.
        Nov 18, 2019
    2. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I replaced all of the default actors in my test project with actors using Vibrato battler graphics. I made custom sheets for the generics.
      1. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I can see why I don't see them used in a huge number of projects, as it takes a bit of extra work to get them just right, and though other people might have made custom sheets, I'd rather have my own arrangements to work with in case I want to customize them further.
        Nov 15, 2019
      2. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        In the final build of my game, there will be two battler sheets per actor among the generics I'm using from Vibrato's site, since he made so many different graphics for each generic battler. I'm going to alternate the sheets during action sequences for skills. When I build the skills, it's going to be a lot of fun having extra options for the graphics used.
        Nov 15, 2019
      3. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        https://i.imgur.com/AgZNABF.png
        Nov 15, 2019
    3. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      Apparently there's an event command for "Change Actor Images" and it can change even the SV-battler sheet used. This opens up possibilities.
      1. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        If I have an alternate battler sheet for each actor, that increases the number of graphics I can choose from when creating action sequences for skills. I'm so glad I learned about this before I started making the more complicated skills that will be in my game.
        Nov 14, 2019
    4. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I figured out the beginning chapter and overall plot of the smaller game I decided to make, which is looking to be a mid-sized RPG.
      1. Traveling Bard and The Stranger like this.
      3. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I'm keeping it in my notes for now. I probably won't put up a thread for it until I'm at least halfway through completing the build.
        Nov 13, 2019
        Traveling Bard likes this.
      4. Traveling Bard
        Traveling Bard
        Makes sense. Well, I wish you luck with the project building :)
        Nov 14, 2019
        Storyteller-Hero likes this.
      5. Storyteller-Hero
        Nov 14, 2019
    5. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      Today I used game character hub for the first time since I've gotten it to customize character sprites and started trying custom battlers.
      1. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I also learned that an art program that I have has default anti-aliasing, which can blur out sprites if not turned off.
        Nov 12, 2019
    6. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      There are so many assets from forums and blogs. Organizing them will take a large chunk of my allotted time this month, but it's worth it.
      1. Finnuval and DeviTheHuman like this.
      3. FleshToDust
        FleshToDust
        Pfft! Who needs workflow when you have spunk, inspiration, determination and every other ation?
        Nov 12, 2019
      4. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        Don't forget the dreaded PROCRASTIN-ation.

;)
        Nov 12, 2019
        FleshToDust likes this.
      5. FleshToDust
        FleshToDust
        Oh indeed. That's the worst of them all!
        Nov 12, 2019
    7. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      After populating my prototype scale test map for the skill grid a bit, I think I'm going to raise the size from 131 to the max.
      1. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        Spacing between the nodes as well as for chamber areas eats up a lot of the map and I need space for decorations and whatnot as well, so I'll probably still be well under the max events per map.

I think that I'm also going to limit myself to 5 maps per actor on this for the smaller game and maybe raise it for the larger game. Or maybe I'll stick with a single map per actor.
        Nov 11, 2019
    8. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      Started building a prototype map for the skill grid. If there wasn't a 999 event limit per map and possible lag, I'd put it all on one map.
      1. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I've tested the mechanics for grid so that's fine. This prototype (131 x 131 test size) will give me an idea of the scale I need, whether to shrink it or enlarge it. I may be making like 9 maps per actor because I want to add some other things like treasure chests and art pieces and puzzle areas to make skill learning into a full-blown mini-game.
        Nov 10, 2019
        jkweath likes this.
    9. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I couldn't stop thinking about making a grid similar to FFX for skill learning so I did it. It works. Great Caesar's Ghost, it works!
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        General walking movement. Click action button over node while on top of it. I'm thinking of making it like a maze with special bonus nodes in various sections as they get unlocked.
        Nov 9, 2019
        kirbwarrior likes this.
      3. kirbwarrior
        kirbwarrior
        Oh, yeah, maze-like structure makes a lot of sense.
        Nov 9, 2019
      4. Kes
        Kes
        I've done this sort of thing by pure eventing in my current project. It's in Ace, so that plugin is no good to me.
        Nov 9, 2019
    10. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      With conditional branches, switches, and Yanfly's JP/Skill Learn plugins, I think I can create a grid system similar to FFX's sphere grid.
      1. FleshToDust likes this.
      2. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        Yanfly' Main Menu Actor Events is also needed to do this from menu. If I can make this work, I think that I'll use it instead of changing classes.
        Nov 9, 2019
      3. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        Holy guacamole this might actually work. I've got to test this when I've got time.
        Nov 9, 2019
      4. FleshToDust
        FleshToDust
        Nice. Grids are fun. I thought about eventing a skill tree once.
        Nov 9, 2019
    11. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      Hmm side quests that offer XP rewards for those who don't enjoy battle-farming but do enjoy side stories...
      1. Seacliff
        Seacliff
        Far from a new idea, actually, but it works really well for games with larger parties and no reserve-character exp.
        Nov 8, 2019
      2. PixelHeart
        PixelHeart
        I think all rpg games should do that sort of thing anyway. :3
        Nov 8, 2019
    12. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I just learned about Labels and how they can be used to go back to previous choices - this is going to be so useful for my in-game tutorial.
      1. View previous comments...
      2. FleshToDust
        FleshToDust
        @standardplayer Glad to hear there's a lot more freedom. I may only be an eventer but since I began eventing custom menu's and battle systems I really started to hate how rigid and limiting RM's event system is.
        Nov 5, 2019
        standardplayer likes this.
      3. standardplayer
        standardplayer
        That's how it started for me. Don't get me wrong, I use both. There are times where I like using events, but knowing both helps. It's never a bad time to dig in and learn XD PM me if you ever want help getting started
        Nov 5, 2019
        FleshToDust likes this.
      4. FleshToDust
        FleshToDust
        Thanks I'll definitely take you up on that offer.
        Nov 6, 2019
        standardplayer likes this.
    13. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      In the United States, the difference in protection between registered and unregistered copyright is terrifying thanks to big business lobby.
      1. Ryisunique and MechScapeZH like this.
      2. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        Apparently with a registered mark, one can sue and get an extra amount of damages (statutory) that does not require evidence of how much they lost from a pirate/thief. This could potentially be much, much larger than they would be compensated as an unregistered plaintiff.
        Nov 3, 2019
      3. MechScapeZH
        MechScapeZH
        Ai yai yai. And it costs so much to register...
        Nov 4, 2019
    14. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I decided to forgo a system of [set primary class + changeable sub classes] and just go with [changeable primary class] for my first game(s)
      1. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        For the second series of games that I'm planning (for a different setting) however, I'll probably go wild with class and subclass due to the nature of the story. I probably won't even get to that for a couple of years though.
        Nov 3, 2019
      2. zerobeat032
        zerobeat032
        I'm debating on this myself, as to whether I want to do all these subclasses or not, with a set primary.
        Nov 3, 2019
    15. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I changed my test project's windowskin today, fiddling with the opacity as well, and moved the battle order turn bar from the top to bottom
      1. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I turned on window masking in Olivia's Octobattle plugin as the new windowskin is rather translucent and words became hard to read when choice windows overlapped.
        Oct 31, 2019
      2. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        The order turn display might be better at the bottom since the bar for displaying action names is already at the top, and it looks cluttered having both of them at the top. The order turn bar could also look awkward when overlapped over certain enemy graphics in the future.
        Oct 31, 2019
    16. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      In a story-driven game with lots of dialogue (not necessarily in every scene), the message interface matters a lot since it's used so much.
      1. The Stranger likes this.
      2. NoahB
        NoahB
        Yes, a message log and skip/fast forward option is a must!
        Oct 30, 2019
      3. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I'm hoping that my use of Galv's Choice Pictures and Irina's Visual Novel Busts along with some animation plugins will be well-received by those who play my game when it's ready.

The window frame for messages is going to be a tough choice since I'm probably not sticking with default.
        Oct 30, 2019
        The Stranger likes this.
      4. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        Presentation is very important. I also think that animation is important. Seeing nothing but text might be okay for some people, but others might enjoy seeing characters move around, or other things happening on the screen. I think we forget that games are a visual medium, and that we can convey things through images and actions rather than just plain text.
        Oct 30, 2019
    17. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      After lots of trial and error, I managed to get the party to enter/exit airship while flying over non-landing terrain without crashing. :D
      1. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        This opens up a potentially important location for my storytelling - the inside of the airship while in flight. Final Fantasy games have explored this in interesting ways so I'm super happy right now as a writer.
        Oct 29, 2019
    18. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I changed the default font in my MV test project and wow it really changes the personality of the text shown on screen.
      1. Kwerty and The Stranger like this.
      2. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        I changed it to CrimsonText-Regular for now - I might change it again later, but I think it's at least more aesthetically pleasing than the default.
        Oct 29, 2019
        The Stranger likes this.
      3. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        Yeah, it's one of those subtle things that can really influence your game in a pretty big way. It's kinda like the use of SFXes. A player might not notice well placed sound effects, but they will notice if they're bad or absent entirely.
        Oct 29, 2019
      4. KazukiT
        KazukiT
        When I found out how to change the default font it was like having epiphany of sorts. Now I do for all my projects to match the style of the game.
        Oct 29, 2019
    19. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      I realized that I could probably make a smaller, off-shoot game using the work that I'm already doing for my big game. Maybe a prequel...
      1. The Stranger likes this.
      2. Storyteller-Hero
        Storyteller-Hero
        A small prequel in the same setting, with location mapping, lore, and mechanics that will be expanded upon and featured in the big game. The stories won't be connected directly, but I could have the hidden character in the big game be the main character of the prequel...
        Oct 28, 2019
        The Stranger likes this.
    20. Storyteller-Hero
      Storyteller-Hero
      What if I make a building or town with normal tiles, then shrink it down to place on a world map? Hmm...
      1. dreamfall887 likes this.
      2. Windows i7
        Windows i7
        That could work depending on how well the image editing software scales stuff down. Gimp and Kirita seem to work well for that.
        Oct 27, 2019
      3. Starbird_Resources
        Starbird_Resources
        it definitely works. i've used that technique for expanding world map options (and for getting the world map to actually correspond with the "normal" maps)
        Oct 28, 2019
  • About

Birthday:
    Dec 29, 1982 (Age: 36)
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Interests:
    Anime